• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Which Fortean Mysteries Would You Like To See Solved?

A

Anonymous

In your lifetime what paranormal related mystery would you like to see solved ? Bigfoot ? UFOs ? Bermuda Triangle ? Ghosts ? Nessie ? Or none at all ? But could you go to your grave still not knowing the answers ?

I kind of like not knowing the answers, and anyway, I doubt that some things actually have answers, or at least not one definitive solution, such as UFOs for instance (instanly reminded of how many books pronounced 'UFOs: The Ultimate Solution!')...

I like that some people can believe in something even when the vast majority of information argues against it. I like that there are things we don't know, and that even if something is 'proved', there would still be a backlash against it. That's part of what I love about Forteana, that you can any number of 'answers' and still be none the wiser (or be infinitely wiser, depending on how you look at it)...

Though a mystery can be a wonderful thing in ways,on balance I think that I'd prefer to know the answers to all my questions about Forteana.I believe that the answers to many puzzles may lie in laws of physics which are so far unknown,for example,and also that when we do discover the reasons for strange phenomona,they will be even more remarkable than the mysteries we discuss here every day.As for going to my grave,I think that that's when we'll learn more,because there are things which we don't have the capacity to understand yet.

I would like to to have a definitive answer to the question of life after death, but as you say before you go to your grave, I guess that will be the time I'll find out, one way or the other.

I don't care about any of this other stuff. :p

All I want an answer for are my MINIATURE ELEPHANTS in the Cryptozoology board. ^_^

id quite like to find out..............where all my money goes its got me more perplexed than the bloody big foot they are on the end of me legs lol

cas

mr chopper said:
i would really like to see the nessie mystery uncoverd as well as the area51/ufo thing!

I feel hypocritical to be a true believer in some areas, then a complete skeptic in others; however, I think the fact that, say, the stealth bomber was developed in Area 51 speaks volumes about the UFO phenomenon. Think about it: the general public never saw one of these bad boys until the extremely late 80s and weren't household words until the early 90s. Given the time it takes to develop such a craft, they had to be viewed in the 70s and 80s during test runs, and they would definitely look like a UFO (and, technically, were UFOs). Maybe I'm way, way off on this one, but the Area 51 thing has always seemed kind of obvious to me as merely being an experimental base.

Not drastically Fortean but intriguing noetheless, I'd like to see some of the high profile murder cases solved like:

Jack the Ripper
The Zodiac Killer
Suzy Lamplugh etc...

They are the sort of mystery that CAN be solved. Eventually someone will turn up a piece of evidence that states precisely who Jack was, wether he was no-one of consequence or one of the royals, and old crimes are always re-opened after a while.

No-one will be happy with the answers about Nessie or Area51 and other such mysteries, unless they hear the answers they want.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for deep mysteries like Nessie to be solved, but for me, the mystery of Nessie can only come to an end when they discover that a huge monster is living in the Loch, and they set up some protection scheme for it. Pulling a 40ft conger eel from the loch and proclaiming that the mystery is over, will only perpetuate the legend.

Yes, that's a good answer, Beast!

But I'd kind of like to see some concrete evidence of UFOs and aliens (or maybe not, perhaps we'd all end up like the humans in V, or worse . . . hey, where have the smilies gone??)

Carole

I'd like to know the extent to which life exists outside our planet, and whether it is the same life (DNA-based) as that on our planet.

The ZODIAC Killer mystery is one of the greatest serial killer stories ever, alongside the even more elusive Green River Killer. There is a superb Zodiac site, I think it is Zodiackiller.com
Jack The Ripper still intrigues due to the atmosphere of the time etc.
I think the Nessie mystery should be solved...but not by way of finding dead animals or exploring the Loch.

There are several things I'd like to know.
a) How exactly did Hitler die?
b) Is there other intelligent life out there?
c) What is at the end of the universe?
d) What is the smallest particle?
e) Did we really evolve from fish?
f) And the following, which seems misplaced but I really want to know: I once watched a movie from the 60's when I lived in Paris in 1989. It was about a nice blonde girl that looked totally innocent but kills everybody that comes into her flat!
After a while the bodies started to stink...and here I got disturbed by the returning family I worked as a nanny for. I had to switch off the TV and really never ever found out how the film ended. So how did it end??????:confused:

The film sounds rather like Polanski's Repulsion which starred
Catherine Deneuve as a lonely French girl going round the bend
in a flat in swinging sixties London. Did the film include hands
coming out of the wall?

The ending, so far as I remember is that she gets carted off to
the asylum. Nice feel-bad movie but the fillet of rotting rabbit
is probably nastier than the pile of human corpses. :eek!!!!:

I want to know who killed Willie McRae and why.

Unfortunately, although this is up there with the strangest of mysteries, I suspect only the Scots on this board will know what I'm on about and even then I'm not so sure.

I would also like to know what the hell Rudolf Hess was up to and why no-one ever shot Noel Edmonds.

Spook said:
I want to know who killed Willie McRae and why.

Unfortunately, although this is up there with the strangest of mysteries, I suspect only the Scots on this board will know what I'm on about and even then I'm not so sure.

I would also like to know what the hell Rudolf Hess was up to and why no-one ever shot Noel Edmonds.

I'm sorry but you're going to have to remind me about Willie McRae. I know I've heard of him and I'm fairly sure I used to know something about it but I just can't get the information out of long-term storage.

Cujo

i'd like to know the truth on u.f.o.s but if aliens were real and this information were revealed to the world, there would be widespread chaos

I want to know where my socks disappear to after I wash them! I have so many mismatched socks now it isn't even funny........but on a serious note I would really love to find out how many previous 'technological' civiliations have preceded us and to what level their technology achieved.............

I think its the life after death mystery I would most like to know the answer to. I would also like to know what the vatican keeps in its vaults.

Amongst the many mysteries I'd love to see solved, stone circles are one of my personal fascinations.

I have theories based upon the fact that many of them were built upon areas of tectonic stress, but theories abound. I need answers!

Also, I'd love to know what exactly caused Man to say "I am I". At what point in our evolution did this self-awareness and higher consciousness take place?

Plus time travel. Is it possible? If it was, I'd like to go back in time, find Nostradamus, give him a good shake and say "Talk some sense, will ya?!"

Alien big cats in Britain, too. I've been out and about looking for them, and am sure they're here, but I really want to see one.

I think its the time/utensil thief expanding his business and branching out. I too suffer from extensive sock loss, I now buy all the same type of socks so that I still have pairs, just less of em.

I'd like to know what caused(/causes?) all the strange phenomena at the Findhorn community in Scotland (impossibly large and healthy plants growing in inhospitable conditions, alleged contact with fairies, etc.)

Donna Black said:
Amongst the many mysteries I'd love to see solved, stone circles are one of my personal fascinations.
I agree (and with your other ideas.

Lard pointed me at a good SC site the other day -
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com

Go to the Devon and Cornwall page and you might find pics posted by Lard and I. (Although I kept my ugly mug out of my pics!)

There are loads of questions to be answered about the past....Stonehenge for one seems to be incomplete and may feature as part of a landscape of the dead. Also what the hell is Silbury hill!!!!???? On the subject of higher consciousness I think that there is evidence from the Palaeolithic if not earlier. Palaeolithic art suggests that humans were thinking on a higher level. Explanations of the concept behind the art have inculded magic ,religion and shamanic trances to name but a few. Neatherthals adored themselves and produced things other than basic substance.

Apart from all of the above, this has niggled me for years.

In the 70s, I saw a film on TV called The Ghost of An American Airman. In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw it twice. It involved a plane that crashes somewhere desolate. One of the airman is American (I think the others were all Brits), and at the end he discovers he's dead and his body is trapped under the tail of the plane. I know I saw this film. And, I seem to recall there being a band of the same name a few years back, named after said film.

Yet I can find no mention of it anywhere.

Does anyone know anything about this film and where I can get a copy? Or has it vanished into the ether?

:)

PS No, it wasn't Flight of the Phoenix

Like you scruffyfella, I'm only buying one type of sock.

BUT, now the b*****s are half inching my pants, (that's "shorts" to all you Yank's, wot don't speak the Queen's English)!!!!!

David said:
BUT, now the b*****s are half inching my pants, (that's "shorts" to all you Yank's, wot don't speak the Queen's English)!!!!!
I should think it's 50/50 whether the 'Yanks' are more confused by 'pants' than by 'half inching'!! (Rhyming slang for 'pinching', as in stealing.)

Come to think of it, Wulfloki (on another thread) had some strange ideas about British underwear - it rather made me wonder what he'd been up to, and with whom! (Me, I go for cotton, given the choice.)

Ta very much for that, bob and rynner! I shall check out those sites forthwith.

Yes, Whyteowl, Silbury Hill is a conundrum alright. I used to live right near Avebury as a child, and the stones and ditches were my playground. I almost think I was nearer to answers then than I am now.

Yup, the cave-art is indicative of some sort of higher consciousness. The creative desire to make a mark upon the landscape has long fascinated me. Without wishing to sound facetious I reckon that hallucinogenic drugs had something to do with it!

The Bermuda Triangle. It is a little disconcerting that I could be toodling along, all hunkeydory one minute, then wheeched off into outer space or whatever the next... Why, after aircraft, especially, disappear do people receive faint radio message, usually consisting only of the aircraft's callsign? For example, after the loss of the Star Tiger ?

Back