• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Which Fortean Mysteries Would You Like To See Solved?

In archaeology hallucinogenics are a valid interpretation. Some of the shaman depictions appear to have something coming out of their nose it has been seen as maybe a nosebleed brought on by the use of hallucinogenics to achieve trance like conditions.
I was in class one day when someone described Silbury Hill as a big spoil heap. I was'nt impressed.Not convinced by this interpretation.

Tunguska and preferably not an answer that involves a micro black hole.
You can keep your mini elephants I want ink monkeys to be found.
Reliable observations of Archyteuthis (Giant Squid)
Rennes la Chateau mysteries (preferably including an autograph letter by Jesus to his son)
In deference to Charles Fort why showers of fish.
And otherwise everything else here.

Silbury Hill a spoil-heap, Whyteowl? No, I wouldn't have been impressed either. Surely there's more to it than that! I vaguely recall being at a 'Ley Hunters' Moot' in '97 held in Avebury, where someone put forward some excellent theories about Silbury Hill but, sadly, I can't recall the speaker. Well, it was very hot, and I was 'tired and emotional'.

Didn't Paul Devereux look into the 'hallucinogens are responsible for higher consciousness' theory? I know he did the TV series about drugs; I'll have to check if he's brought out a book about it too.

What is it with men and mysteriously disappearing underwear? Underpant gnomes? As far as I know, whatever causes it leaves women's undergarments well alone - all my stockings are still in pairs!

Silbury Hill a SPOIL HEAP - please don't get me started.....

Inverurie Jones said:
The Bermuda Triangle. It is a little disconcerting that I could be toodling along, all hunkeydory one minute, then wheeched off into outer space or whatever the next... Why, after aircraft, especially, disappear do people receive faint radio message, usually consisting only of the aircraft's callsign? For example, after the loss of the Star Tiger ?

Actually, and somewhat sadly, all the so-called mysterious disappearances attributed to the Triangle have reasonable explantions, Charles Berlitz notwithstanding. In fact, many of that joker's proposed disappearances actually happened well outside the Triangle's boundaries. A careful survey by someone I can't remember determined that there is no significant variation in the number of ship and aircraft disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle compared to the rest of the world.

Re: Silbury hill
Seems I remember , tho not too clearly, that it was supposed to be a meeting site for local chiefs.Another goes that it was a large burial site for a Very important chief with a stash of gold.Another goes it was place of defence as there is evidence of a moat(allegedly).After all the restoration work and vandalism thats gone on at the site it seems very unlikely that we will ever find out for sure :(
http://witcombe.sbc.edu/earthmysteries/EMStukeley.html

http://www.stonehenge-avebury.net/

Might find these useful too

:D

Easy solution to pant and sock mystery...don't wear any:eek!!!!:

As to things I'd really like an answer to.... This question I've set up for myself but it seems reasonable to me.

There are billions of people on this plant and billions of secrets. And thousands of people with unusual abilities. Really unusual abilities. I have always wondered if there could be a family with a several thousand year history of sanity. People who are very intelligent, farsighted and aware.

We all have an ancient family tree; most of us have lost it and haven't information past our great grandparents. And so often we have also lost what ever wisdom and experience was accumulated by our ancestors. Sometimes we seem to have to learn over again the life lessons that our parents learned. What if it were possible to keep all that knowledge and wisdom and yet not become hide bound and inflexible?

What would such people be like? Does someone like that exist?

Hmmmmm,

I'd like to know what really went on in Dallas (but I don't want to be the one to find out, just in case I get a 'visit')

Footage of giant squids would be just great.

And I'll go with the ever popular - what and how of Silbury Hill.

But I guess I get the giant squid one day (Blue Planet II?) and the others will just have to remain a mystery.:cool:

My boyfriend would like to see the mystery of the crystal skulls solved due to the legend of the bringing together of all the skulls. He'd also like to know how and what ancient knowledge has been lost over the centuries.

I still reckon the Bermuda Triangle is weird... the 'Triangle' bit is only because of Flight 19's flightplan, it doesn't really relate to anything else. Of course disappearances happen elsewhere, and thy are equally worryin, from the point of view of a pilot who wants to join the navy...

i would like to know where the big book of formulas is. and do sientists "who come up with a theory" look in the big book of theorys/formulas to see which formula has been used yret if so, do the sciencists get a cooling off period of say 30 days/1 month incase the the formula that they picked is wrong?

heres another one "why is the human race so bloody stupid?"
and is there a formula to prove otherwise??

I'd like to know who Jack the Ripper was. And of course we all know that it wasn't Walter bloody Sickert . . .

Carole

Ahhh, I noticed the early posts on the Zodiac killer...

Wasn't there an allegation some time ago that the Zodiac killer could've been tied to Charles Manson and his motley crew? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure that the 'Family' member Bruce Davis could've been one of the suspects?

But then again, I may well have dreamt it...

As it says on the tin, really....If you could make a list of your top five mysterious events that you would want to be subjected to proper, full scientific investigation and experimentation, what would they be? I'm thinking of specific events rather than general phenomena.

I think it means 'explained either way'.

Like when people first had to believe that the earth was not flat, or that the heavens weren't solid or whatever. Before that, meteorites were believed to be bits of the sky falling off or stones thrown at irritating mortal by angry gods.

I would like to see both orang pendek and ebu gogo subjected to thorough, well funded scientific scrutiny. Like much forteana, the only real closure for these cases can be the discovery of the cryptids. Not discovering them proves nothing. But a truly in-depth expedition might help.

Perhaps 'solved' wasn't quite the right word, and I don't mean 'debunked' either - rather, have certain events investigated to see what was really going on - was it genuinely unknown phenomenom, or the product of something (or combination of things) that is known to science? Would it be possible to recreate the scenario? And so on.
Just off the top of my head, the Liverpool Time Slip case would be a good one to look at. And Spring-Heeled Jack - you could do a bit of investigative research by attaching springs to your heels to see exactly how high you could leap....

For me the big one is the thylacine. But I can only think of a few aspects of it that would come under the heading of Fortean. Such as Bailey's paw photos, and whether there was a second 'last' captive specimen that passed through Hobart Zoo on it's way to Westbury Zoo, northern Tasmania. And if so which was the last to go.

Other than that it's more mainstream than Fortean questions that arise about them.

I'd love to know what S.T.E.N.D.E.C meant.

Also I'd like to know why the story of how the Flores islanders finally got rid of the ebo gogo, is identical to the story the Veddas of Sri Lanka tell about how they got rid of the Nittaewo.

Lastly why are the pygmies of the Congo apparently using a Bantu word, mokele mbembe, for their local monster, rather than the Bantu speakers using a pygmy word.

And Spring-Heeled Jack - you could do a bit of investigative research by attaching springs to your heels to see exactly how high you could leap....

I'm sure that was tested out, and it was discovered that approaching anything very impressive would result in broken ankles.

Back