• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Which Fortean Mysteries Would You Like To See Solved?

I'm sure that was tested out, and it was discovered that approaching anything very impressive would result in broken ankles.
Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerbocking

"The act of powerbocking is jumping and running with elastic-like spring-loaded stilts. For some it is an extreme sport, for others it is a form of exercise or even a means of artistic expression. The use of the stilts to perform extreme jumping, running and acrobatics is known as 'Bocking' or 'PowerBocking' after the inventor."

(I'd never heard of it before, but coincidentally a contestant on Bargain Hunt today was into 'bocking'!

So, coincidences... Are they all explainable by statistics? :twisted:)

Pan, panic and what actually causes the grues!

(apart from all the things we know like low frequency suond)

Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerbocking

"The act of powerbocking is jumping and running with elastic-like spring-loaded stilts. For some it is an extreme sport, for others it is a form of exercise or even a means of artistic expression. The use of the stilts to perform extreme jumping, running and acrobatics is known as 'Bocking' or 'PowerBocking' after the inventor."

(I'd never heard of it before, but coincidentally a contestant on Bargain Hunt today was into 'bocking'!

So, coincidences... Are they all explainable by statistics? :twisted:)
Bockin' idiots!:D

The existence of an afterlife
Horse eels
Dragons
Faster than light travel
'Panic', causes of.

made me think of buffalowings.....

Dragons is a tricky one. I tend to think the word has no clear meaning. There are the clearly mythical ones with outlandish characteristics that may be inherited legends, those that may well be legends based on out of places but known species, those that may be species awaiting discovery, and of course large reptiles known to science that could be described as dragons.

Perhaps 'solved' wasn't quite the right word, and I don't mean 'debunked' either - rather, have certain events investigated to see what was really going on - was it genuinely unknown phenomenom, or the product of something (or combination of things) that is known to science? Would it be possible to recreate the scenario? And so on.
Just off the top of my head, the Liverpool Time Slip case would be a good one to look at. And Spring-Heeled Jack - you could do a bit of investigative research by attaching springs to your heels to see exactly how high you could leap....

I don't think it works like that. We have al sorts of scientific proof, or lack of it for all sorts of things yet people still believe the Earth is flat, is only 6000 years old, the moon landings were hoaxed and Jesus existed and left skidmarks on a piece of cloth currently on display in Turin. Despite all the evidence, some people refuse to be convinced even when the evidence is overwhelming. So it doesn't really matter. People will accept all sorts into their belief system even though it flies in the face of logic or reason. While it could be proved that Springheeled Jack was a steampunk-tech enhanced circus performer on amphetamines, others will never shake off their belief he was a shape-shifting supernatural bat-like creature 14th in line to the throne of England.

"I can't figure out if it's true or he's a nut."

Reckon I know where the smart money's going on that one.

Why boil it down to just those two possibilities?

Here are a few more:

1- It's all absolutely true
2- He's a nut (i.e. delusional)
3- He's just an attention-seeking liar
4- He thinks he's telling the truth, but he was actually fed a load of bullshit to distract him from the real truth of what was going on, and / or deliberately spread disinformation, and / or destroy his credibility.
5- Some bits and pieces of any of the above

I'd like Vrillion of the Galactic Astar Command and the Max Headroom TV pirates to own up, which might actually happen.

What won't happen, what was the deal with the Hexham heads?

Of course the mystery of Spring Heeled Jack has to be #1. My mind is hardwired to ponder this great mystery continuously. But in all seriousness
  1. The existence of the New Guinea Dragon (a monitor lizard that could be larger than the komodo)
  2. Further investigations into the origins of civilization I.E.: the Sphinx, Gobekli Tepe, etc.
  3. Breaking the current constant of the speed of light (not including subatomic tachyons)
  4. How does the soft tissue (marrow,) inside dinosaur bones fit since the dinosaurs are dated to be extinct for 65 million years, but soft tissue cannot survive for millions of years?
  5. Is the Giant short faced Bear still alive?

Enfield and other famous poltergeist cases all took place in circumstances in which those covering it took written notes, used still cameras etc...and more modern stuff goes on youtube and is immediately debunked almost on principle.

So what I would really like is for a mainstream television news company such as the BBC to catch extensively on camera a similar poltergeist case so, if such things are real, the lazy kind of "it just aint so, so they made it up" debunking has difficulty taking hold.

You could apply the same to "alien craft" type ufos.

Three off the top of my head.

The Hum
Crop Circles & Bols
The Devil's Footprints

1. The Belgian and Hudson Valley Black Triangle sightings
2. The Joplin spook light and/or Brown Mountain lights
3. NDEs
4. The placebo effect
5. My "ghost" experience

It does surprise me that those Black Triangles are still a mystery. I thought we might see something like it deployed in Afghanistan or Iraq.

I saw something similar some time last summer, heading south on a heading of S 34 degrees, then turning due east on 149 degrees, about 30 degrees up of the horizon - not a triangle though, more like a black chevron - no lights, but the moon was up and I saw it's silhouette against the moons light, and it was big, about a thumbs length across at arms length, and silent.

It's always been a disappointment to me that the scientific community basically refuse to investigate things that have been labelled 'Fortean' or 'supernatural'. It seems to me that some of them , if rigorously investigated, might come up with new scientific discoveries that could expand our abilities. So, choosing things that have a reasonably high rate of occurrence:

1 Divining (actual on the spot divining, not the remote version).
2 Telepathy (Twins, close family awareness of death etc.)
3 Mysterious hominids (Bigfoot etc)
4 Panic - original meaning
5 Poltergeists

There are many other things I'd love to have the true explanation to, but with one-off events I don't know how we'd ever get them.

Back