• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Which Fortean Mysteries Would You Like To See Solved?

So we are two. Along the years I always read about rumours of expeditions about to find the actual place, with no further information.
Perhaps they keep being silenced by TPTB?

I'd have to go with the obvious and say Jack The Ripper as it seems unlikely we will ever know his identity. I would love to know the killer's motive/inspiration and why they stopped. JFK is another obvious one, not who shot him, but the extent of any wider involvement. I think the answer to that has most likely been speculated already; we just don't know which theory is correct!

I would like to know what is behind the strange disappearances David Paulides has researched in his missing 411 series of books. It is totally fascinating but the weirdest stuff I have ever come across. People going missing from National Parks in the USA in very large numbers, all under a pattern of similar circumstances. Whatever it is that is taking people is 100% effective. Very creepy!

I would like to know what is behind the strange disappearances David Paulides has researched in his missing 411 series of books. It is totally fascinating but the weirdest stuff I have ever come across. People going missing from National Parks in the USA in very large numbers, all under a pattern of similar circumstances. Whatever it is that is taking people is 100% effective. Very creepy!

If you do a bit of searching [Reddit for example] you'll find quite a lot about Paulides. My impression is that his accounts are full of exaggeration & a fair amount of bullshit. I'm prepared to be wrong..

If you do a bit of searching [Reddit for example] you'll find quite a lot about Paulides. My impression is that his accounts are full of exaggeration & a fair amount of bullshit. I'm prepared to be wrong..

I suspect this is true, too. He's disregarded how accidents happen and ignored potential contexts. To propose one explanation to cover all the cases is almost certainly incorrect. It's like saying all the sea serpent reports are the same, whereas some will be real animals (not all the same animal), or waves, or debris, or hoaxes, etc.

I can't imagine "solving" many Fortean mysteries to people's satisfaction. As with the Tunguska event, a very plausible explanation is provided but people don't always want to accept it as sufficient. For many of these cases, sadly, we'll never have enough info to solve it.

I vote for ball lightning. I think it's a genuine thing but scientists don't take it seriously and it's commonly regarded by skeptics as untenable. And, I think it can propel further examinations for similar mystery lights.

I vote for ball lightning. I think it's a genuine thing but scientists don't take it seriously and it's commonly regarded by skeptics as untenable.

Techy has seen ball lightning!

I vote for ball lightning. I think it's a genuine thing but scientists don't take it seriously and it's commonly regarded by skeptics as untenable. And, I think it can propel further examinations for similar mystery lights.
That's a good one. It's a Fortean phenomenon which has a fair chance of being a real physical thing imho, and if this is the case, would probably involve some fascinating physics, which might be new and definitely be interesting.

Did they ever come up with a satisfying explanation for foo fighters?

Back