• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Which Town/Village Is The Most Haunted In The UK?

"Prestbury, near Cheltenham, claims to be the most haunted village in Britain with no fewer than 26 ghouls said to patrol the midnight streets. In one lane alone there are so many spectral horsemen they have stand patiently in line awaiting their turn for a gallop through the moonlight."

Source

-Justin.

Are you sure ?

I always thought the most haunted village was Pluckley in Kent - what with the ghostly coach, red(I think) lady, screaming wood and hanging man in a tree - amongst others too numerous to remember !!

On a first hand basis though I've been there quite a few times and saw no evidence of any of these ghosts.... Plus I used to know a couple who lived there and maintained that there was nothing at all supernatural about the place....

So perhaps it's not so haunted after all !!:confused:

Okay

I checked out both and they both seem pretty good for visting. Thanks again.

I wouldn't be surprised if local newspapers in most counties have made similar claims at one time or another about somewhere in their vicinity.

I think I should note that the page I linked too also states:

"Littledean Hall, reputed to be the most haunted house in England, is home to a whole colony of ghosts including a headless horseman, a lady in yellow, a white monk, two brothers who killed each other in a duel and a diligent gardener sweeping up leaves."

There was a more recent story about the place, but it's not on the net.

'Tales a plenty but the ghosts have gone.' -The Citizen (Glos), 4 July 2001.

Apparently, since the new owners have attempted to persue other means of making money from the property there has actually been no sign of any ghostly activity at all, or so they claim.:rolleyes:

-Justin.

Although not the most, the town of Poole in Dorset is reputed to have many wierd occurances, mostly ghosts in pubs etc, but i may be right in thinking it rained frogs there once. There are "Ghost Walks" you can do with a guide. I also recommend visiting "Scaplens Court" (think thats the right name) a former Victorian school and bakery, there is a strange atmoshere to the place.

Flower

x

Hoxne, Suffolk

That'll be it. Listed in the guiness book of records as the oldest continually inhabited place in the British isles, giving its name to the an age in the last glacial period, site of a find of roman coins in the early nineties, and the alleged site of king Edmund of east anglia's (lost) battle with the danish and subsequent martyrdom. It has three ghosts in the pub alone, a ghost in the church yard, several funny things in various fields and woodlands. Also a ghost inhabited one room in the house my mother bought there in the seventies - it subequentlly vanished during renovations. A alien big cat was sighted there a couple of years ago.

I was going to say Prestbury too but you've beaten me to it.

While I'm here I might as well tell you about the ghost I saw at Littledean Hall. As I was going upstairs I saw a little black boy running across the landing. The spooky bit is that when I got to the landing there was a portrait of a little black boy on the wall!

It really is worth a look. Is it the same place with the bloodstains around the fireplace or am I thinking of somewhere else now?

http://pluto.spaceports.com/~mot/finch.htm
"The phantom of a Royalist cavalier, executed at the Hall by Cromwellian troops (and whose bloodstains can still be seen!), is rumoured to frequently appear, an invisible horse supposedly gallops through the downstairs tea-rooms, while the ghost of an eighteenth-century black slave, who murdered his master at Littledean Hall, is also said to roam the gloomy corridors."
------------------

http://www.theheritagetrail.co.uk/manor houses/littledean hall.htm
"In the dining room, previously forming part of the great hall, a fearsome swordfight erupted between the King's garrison and a troop of Roundheads, and among those that fell were Colonel Congreve and Captain Wigmore, whose bloodstains remain visible today."

"Another sad story surrounds Charles Pyrke and his black manservant, who are depicted in the drawing room. Growing up almost as brothers, Charles met a violent death at the hands of his West Indian servant, which undoubtedly was connected with the death of the black baby borne by the servant's sister and reputedly fathered by Charles."

-Justin.

Thank you very much, Justin! I feel quite chilly all of a sudden. Littledean Hall is really - shall we say - atmospheric. I recall the bloodstains being surprisingly fresh-looking, and the ghost of the little black boy actually seemed to look me in the eyes as he ran past. Not that I believe in 'spirits of the dead' though. I'm into that old 'imprinting' theory.

There is an upstairs room where I gazed out onto the garden and felt an overwhelming and inexplicable sadness too. But in the garden I had sensations of great happiness and excitement.

Still, it's impossible to say what those kinds of impressions mean, if anything. I guess I'll have to return and check it out again.

Where is this place? Sounds very interesting.

A place called Athelhanpton hall, near me is haunted by a monkey! Wierd huh?! :blah:

Slightly off topic but on the subject of strange ghosts, a
lane in Crowborough, East Sussex called Jarvis Brook Road is
haunted by the ghost of a bag of soot, which on certain nights
would chase people. :eek:

The date is given as late nineteenth century and the source is
Jennifer Westwood's Albion, a Guide to Legendary Britain, 1985.

A bag of soot(?!) Heeheehee! That's delightful! Did it catch anyone?

Littledean Hall (re: the above question) is near the Forest of Dean. I don't drive so I can't tell you any more than that. In fact, the forest itself has given rise to some pretty spooky stories, and then there are the ABC sightings in the area... worth checking the area out if you're interested.

The only other detail I have, Donna, is that a blacksmith
once tried to defy the bag of soot, whereupon it pursued
him all the way home.

I left that bit out because it was somehow too nightmarish.

But now you've dragged it out of me, you will have to get
to sleep as best you can!

What had he been on that night? And how does anybody
defy a bag of soot? How, for that matter did it die?

These matters keep me awake.
:confused:

Oh that story is just so funny! I'm sitting here thinking 'a bag of soot?' and shaking my head. There are so many questions! Like, how did he know it was soot? Did it say "I am the bag of soot"? I know you don't have the answers - that'll be between the man and his sootbag.

I can think of no classic ghost explanation for this one. It does, however, remind me of the Bavarian (I think) version of father xmas where an evil sootbag-carrying imp accompanies the altruistic one and fills naughty children's shoes with soot.

Somehow I suspect alcohol was involved. It's easily done! I recall one xmas where the snowman I'd built edged nearer and nearer to the patio doors. The more I drank, the closer it got...

Donna Black said:
I recall one xmas where the snowman I'd built edged nearer and nearer to the patio doors. The more I drank, the closer it got...

Hey! it's cold outside, he probably just wanted a Sherry!

With regard to the most huanted town... perhaps we could work out a timeshare scheme? Mondays and Wednesday nights it's Prestbury, Tuesday and Thursday nights it's Pluckley...

I suppose that this is probably not the most haunted place but Old Portsmouth is riddled with history and ghosts. Most of my family have seen something down there. For those who haven't seen it or know where it is, it's a very small area in Portsmouth right on the sea front to the Dock yard. But it still has some of the original cobbled stones and flag stones around there and all the old turrets from the Tudor Battles are there and also Southsea Castle. They still have the old tunnels in there were the men in battle would hide to fire up and out. I f that's not haunted then I will eat my right knee...and I really need that one!

Just one last thing before I have to go to work... I work in the New Theatre Royal in Pompey as the manger of the Cafe. If you are the area about Halloween time I believe that there might be a sleep-over ghost watch thing going on so it might be worth a go. Oh and the place is haunted to fu..anyway have to go see ya:madeyes:

Credible confirmation?

This article was in the Wed. 19 Sept. 2001 edition of the Glos. Echo.:

'Haunted Prestbury' tag won't give up the ghost

Prestbury has been branded "the most haunted village in England" in a new book
The village features in Haunted Britain and Ireland, written by London-based author Richard Jones. He cites the 'Hooded Monk' or 'Black Abbot' that some locals and ghost watchers claim to have seen at Christmas and Easter roaming from the village church and crossing the grounds only to disappear in a cottage in Prestbury High Street.
A horseman on a white charger who was shot dead by an archer in 1471, and hoofbeats from a Royalist rider who was slain at the hands of Parliamentarians during the civil war are other spooks that allegedly haunt the village.
Mr Jones points to the history of Prestbury as key to explaining the mystical phenomena embedded in many of the buildings within the village.
He said: "There is a psychic and historical imprint on areas in Gloucestershire. The modern and vibrant Cheltenham contrasted with the surrounding lost-in-time, sleepy villages creates a truly wonderful heart of the Cotswolds."
This is just the latest book in a long line to document the haunted village and ghost watches and tours often run in Prestbury.
Researcher Bob Meredith, who has made a study of Prestbury and its reputed 'hauntings' says: "Prestbury is filled with spooks."
Other local haunted buildings that feature in the book are Snowhill Manor, and The Fleece Inn in Bretforton, near Evesham.
The book, to be released in October 31, is published by New Holland and costs £19.99.

Most Haunted Place in UK -

According to Peter Underwood, Ghost Hunter, two places share this title - Farnham in Surrey and York in... Yorkshire.

Personally, I did not know that Farnham was much of a haunted place, the internet certainly doesn't recognise it.

A search for most haunted place on the search engines delivers Derby.

So who knows? (Maybe we should have read the FT which stated a road in Wales as the most haunted place..)

ghost walks prestbury?

We are visiting Gloucestershire next month and are looking for a ghost walk to do. I've seen Lyn Cinderey's Gloucester Walk website, but does anyone know of any others, eg Prestbury.

Or any other places open to visitors in the Cheltenham area - Littledean Hall for example - is this open to the public?
Thanks
Dan

I used to visit Conwy in north Wales years ago and that's a pretty heavily-haunted place, according to a couple of guidebooks I bought.

One of the main streets is called Berry Street, which is apparently a corruption of Burial Street, from when exhausted townsfolk were forced to dig up the road to inter plague victims. They don't like everyone walking over them, look you! :lol:

Here are a few very odd hauntings I found on the ParanormalDatabase

Army Cat
Type: Other
Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: This strange entity reportedly took the form of a cat which wore a red military uniform.

Chaplin
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 1960s - 1980s
Further Comments: Killed during World War One, the Chaplin returned to his base, and stayed ever since. He has been seen leaning against his sword, and heard clapping and breathing heavily.
[I think they meant chaplain but I picture Charlie as in Shoulder Arms!]

Hunters
Type: Fairy
Date / Time: Twentieth century
Further Comments: The fairies that frequent this remote area dress in green and often carry hunting weapons - the last one seen possessed a whip.

Eyes
Date / Time: 1980s
Further Comments: It was reported that dozens of pairs of eyes would look out of bushes along this lane, and that they belonged to the 368 people who died in an accident at Pretoria Pit. Prior to this disaster, miners on route to work would sometimes encounter the sound of an invisible horse which ran past them.

Time Slip
Date / Time: 1999
Further Comments: On various dates, several people (including an off duty policeman) have reported slipping back in time along this road, finding them surrounded by people dressed in clothing of the 1940s, with a cobbled street and old style shops.

Six Figures
Type: Unknown Ghost Type
Date / Time: October 1957
Further Comments: Five shadowy figures, each ninety centimetres tall, were seen emerging a fireplace and crossing a bedroom in this home until they reached another dark figure wearing a crown sitting in a chair. Each of the five shadows offered a gift to the seated figure before they turned and walked back to the fireplace.

Internal Rain
Date / Time: February 1873
Further Comments: Rain fell inside this house so hard that it ruined furnishings, though the ceilings themselves remained dry.

Footballing Devil
Type: Legend - Old Nick
Further Comments: Old Nick once popped up and started playing football on the Sabbath with a group of local lads - with his first kick of the ball it turned into a burning sphere, causing all the other players to flee!

Men with Light Bulb Heads
Type: UFO
Date / Time: November 1926
Further Comments: A local lad escaped one night from his house to play hide and seek with his friends. While searching for them, he observed three figures in grey rubber suits and fishbowl helmets in a back yard; they also possessed pallid faces like inversed pears, with slits for eyes and mouth. When they moved towards him, he ran home.

Well they certainly scared me! :shock:

My god there is a seven year gap between posts up there!

A new record?

Anyway, I love it when that happens, it's like a snapshot of the past.

I live in Lewes in Sussex and I'm sure it should be more haunted than it is. It's ancient, its got ruins, cliffs, a history of major floods and the holds the record (I think) for the most fatal avalanche in British history....there must be something here dammit!

Anyone know of anything? I've got a Victorian greenhouse in the garden, that might be haunted....

EDIT: I just re-read that post and realised that I should cite at least some of those crazy claims, so if you're interested Wikipedia holds this:

On 27 December 1836, an avalanche occurred in Lewes, the worst ever recorded in Britain. It was caused by a large build-up of snow on the nearby cliff slipping down onto a row of cottages called Boulters Row (now part of South Street). About fifteen people were buried, and eight of these died. A pub in South Street is named The Snowdrop in memory of the event.[14]

On 21 August 1864, Lewes suffered an earthquake shock measuring 3.1 on the Richter scale.[15]

In October 2000 the town suffered major flooding during an intense period of severe weather throughout the United Kingdom. The commercial centre of the town and many residential areas were devastated. In a government report into the nationwide flooding, Lewes was officially noted the most severely affected location.[16] As a result of the devastation caused Lewes Flood Action, a pressure group, is in existence to press for better flood protection measures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewes#Natural_sites_and_events

Two more oddities from the same source as above:

Gobbling Monk :laughing:

Further Comments: This lane is apparently named after the sounds a monk made when he went mad; this was after he was bricked up alive for trying to elope. He is still seen on the odd occasion, though no longer heard.

Floating Lolly

Type: Poltergeist
Further Comments: There were supposedly several witnesses who watched as a lollypop floated up and moved itself out of this shop.

escargot1 said:
One of the main streets is called Berry Street, which is apparently a corruption of Burial Street,

Not in Welsh it isn't, not even close! (According to my old man, whose first language is Welsh, and is from Caernarfon).

That doesn't mean the bodies weren't buried there though!

My family and I holidayed (is that a word?) in Beverley some years ago. Infact we enjoyed it so much we went twice. One of our evenings was spent on a ghost walk round the town. Even if some of the tales had natural explanations two of them stuck in my mind. One was a woman working at a factory on the site of an old priory and who saw a hooded figure which apparently asked her 'What time is this?' What a strange comment to make,. if it is true. Never the less for me it invoked a picture of the monk somehow realising he was not in his own time and who possibly found our world as disturbing as the worker found him to be. It's not your usual bone chilling tale, but I found it very unnerving all the same.

The second had a more historical interest regarding an old and seemingly mad woman who would randomly shout at passers by 'The beak is back'. Nearby a plague pit was discovered during some works and I can't recall if they found the remains of a plague Doctors attire
http://www.historyonthenet.com/Stuarts/ ... doctor.htm
or whether someone merely speculated that she was seeing a vision of such a figure, it remained a fascinating story.

Most Haunted has accurately documented many areas and their paranormal activity, however there was one underground area they went to that was an old underground bath house turned into priest livery that revealed quite a bit of sound bytes and interesting experiences

I can't say I'd take Most Haunted's recommendation on any haunting's reputation as a standard of comparison. :lol:

Back