• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

White Feathers

I went out to get the mail a few nights ago and noticed this feather in the middle of the deck.
Nothing else, no leaves, etc. Just this.

IMG_20211124_222714798.jpg

At aged relative's funeral yesterday. Freezing cold, mind numbingly so. No trees or wildlife in sight. I found myself standing apart from the hordes of other mourners whilst they did what mourners do, and looking into the very clear sky, I watched as a gigantic black feather floated down from very high up, so slowly (prob due to weather) that it looked like it was hanging in mid air. I was "grabbed" by someone and when I looked back there was no sign of it. As we left, another funeral procession was coming down the very long drive to the crem. The fleeting nature of it all struck home.

You got a nice white feather.

My wife’s experience with an Angel is that the Angel only left pennies.

Pennies left in a strange place is supposed to represent an Angel visit.

While I was in hospital in past, a Cole-Cola machine that only gave change in quarters, dispensed three pennies to my wife.

Earlier she told an elderly lady she was worried about my health, and the elderly lady assured my wife I would be fine and vanished from the waiting room.

You got a nice white feather.

My wife’s experience with an Angel is that the Angel only left pennies.

Pennies left in a strange place is supposed to represent an Angel visit.

While I was in hospital in past, a Cole-Cola machine that only gave change in quarters, dispensed three pennies to my wife.

Earlier she told an elderly lady she was worried about my health, and the elderly lady assured my wife I would be fine and vanished from the waiting room.
I've had many out of place white feathers. The timing is always perfect. The latest one was weird (to me) because it was in the center of the deck, like "Hey, look at me!" To me it doesn't really matter if it came from a pigeon, dove, whatever. I've also had many dimes. Always the right place at the right time. The Universe listens. I believe it does, anyway.

I love your Coca Cola machine and the waiting room anecdotes. I have a kitty angel story I've never shared on here but maybe it should go on It Happened To Me.

Julian Lennon thought his dad communicated with him from beyond with a white feather. John and white birds seem to be a bit of a theme actually as I think the remaining beatles were also visited by a white peacock that they all thought was John.
That’s what John told Julian, but, to my knowledge, that didn’t happen.
Julian said that his chimney was blocked, and when he unblocked it, he found a dead crow wrapped in newspaper.
The date of the newspaper was Julian’s date of birth……

That's what I assumed, that he just knew where to go to find them, but other people who'd done the same trip hadn't been as lucky!

I just went out to walk the dog and there are white feathers scattered everywhere on the verge. I'm assuming a pigeon has gone to meet its maker...
I reckon I know who he is. ;)

My youngest's father in law died suddenly late on Thursday night after he reacted badly to a blood transfusion.
I had rung my daughter to tell her that the poppit toy I bought on Ebay had arrived for her little boy as someone had taken his from childcare., and she said that her husband was going to ring his father after she finished.
Yesterday she said that her husband was trying to ring his Father to see how he was and when he couldn't get through apparently rang his Mother who had just been told so he went to stay with her last night.
He was a lovely man and I was a bit surprised I hadn't felt anything unusual, then this morning when I got the car out of the garage there was a fluffy white feather on the windscreen. No birds can get into the garage and it was not there last night.

What a sad surprize for you and your family! My sympathy to all of you. :group:

My youngest's father in law died suddenly late on Thursday night after he reacted badly to a blood transfusion.
I had rung my daughter to tell her that the poppit toy I bought on Ebay had arrived for her little boy as someone had taken his from childcare., and she said that her husband was going to ring his father after she finished.
Yesterday she said that her husband was trying to ring his Father to see how he was and when he couldn't get through apparently rang his Mother who had just been told so he went to stay with her last night.
He was a lovely man and I was a bit surprised I hadn't felt anything unusual, then this morning when I got the car out of the garage there was a fluffy white feather on the windscreen. No birds can get into the garage and it was not there last night.
Thank you.

For anyone who believes the UL about white feathers signifying death / the nearness of a deceased loved one: I just helped my wife to change the duvet cover, which involved several white feathers ending up on the carpet. Without thinking, l opened the window and threw them out.

l can only apologise in advance for the wave of death and supernatural visitations l have unleashed on my postcode.

maximus otter

For anyone who believes the UL about white feathers signifying death / the nearness of a deceased loved one: I just helped my wife to change the duvet cover, which involved several white feathers ending up on the carpet. Without thinking, l opened the window and threw them out.

l can only apologise in advance for the wave of death and supernatural visitations l have unleashed on my postcode.

maximus otter
As the pillows on my bed are filled with white feathers, I am in danger every time I climb into bed.

We had one of those mattress covers padded with feathers. After a few days use the stalks(?) of the feathers began poking through the cotton covering stabbing me in every part of the old anatomy like needles. Ms Me appeared unaffected. White feathers can sometimes be out to get you.

I had to have a dental appt last week after a really horrible infection (face swelled up, looked like I had a goitre, etc) And I dread dentists for certain reasons and was in a state of paralysed terror.

Walking up the road, which is also a hill and shops each side, I came upon a big white feather on the pavement in front of me and took it as a hopeful sign. I didn’t pick it up, I thought someone else might need a ‘sign’ But I said ‘Oh, thank you!’

The appt was completely fine, I even felt calm.
So I think there’s a good psychological reason for seeing them as messages from angels or loved ones. Certainly helped me, anyway!

We had one of those mattress covers padded with feathers. After a few days use the stalks(?) of the feathers began poking through the cotton covering stabbing me in every part of the old anatomy like needles. Ms Me appeared unaffected. White feathers can sometimes be out to get you.

That happened to me with pillows.

Also, following the prosaic tone, feathers are very very light and unaerodynamic (when not attached to birds). They can get in through tiny cracks, under doors and also float a considerable distance away from Certain Bird Death.

I'd like to think white feathers 'mean' something, but out here in the middle of the countryside, all they usually mean is that someone hit a pigeon two miles down the road.

Humans are just very skilled in seeing patterns, and if seeing feathers reassures anyone, then who am I to say it's just (bird) life?

Also, following the prosaic tone, feathers are very very light and unaerodynamic (when not attached to birds). They can get in through tiny cracks, under doors and also float a considerable distance away from Certain Bird Death.

I'd like to think white feathers 'mean' something, but out here in the middle of the countryside, all they usually mean is that someone hit a pigeon two miles down the road.

Humans are just very skilled in seeing patterns, and if seeing feathers reassures anyone, then who am I to say it's just (bird) life?
Yeah, there's rarely a day goes by when, walking to work, I don't pass those small white underfeathers, which I assume come from pigeons. Either that or west Surrey is, against all evidence to the contrary, swarming with angels.

It's all in the context.

Only buy them if they have duck feathers and nothing else. I made the huge mistake once of buying pillows that had a certain proportion of goose feathers in them. After a while, those pillows went in the bin.

Only buy them if they have duck feathers and nothing else. I made the huge mistake once of buying pillows that had a certain proportion of goose feathers in them. After a while, those pillows went in the bin.
I'm assuming that you are referring to "down" when talking feathers in bedding.

Goose down is more expensive than duck. And the filling can have a percentage of feathers to down filling. Perhaps the pillows were of the more inexpensive brands and had too much feather.

https://wheretheroadforks.com/goose-down-vs-duck-down-pros-and-cons/

I have a down coat that I acquired when my son grew out of it. I use it for dog walking now because it's cosy. It has a small rip in and I leave a trail of feathers wherever I go - those very little fine ones. Perhaps I am an angel?

I have a down coat that I acquired when my son grew out of it. I use it for dog walking now because it's cosy. It has a small rip in and I leave a trail of feathers wherever I go - those very little fine ones. Perhaps I am an angel?
You can buy the brilliant Tenacious Tape for repairing down garments. Some people's well-worn coats end up nearly made of it.

Back