• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why Are Pirates Romanticised?

Grace is remembered and honoured.

Westport House[edit]​

Statue of Gráinne Mhaol in Westport House
Westport House in County Mayo, Ireland, was the seat of the Browne dynasty, Marquesses of Sligo, direct descendants of Grace O'Malley. The current house was built close to the site of Cahernamart (Cathair na Mart – "fort of the beef market"), an Ó Máille fort. The original house was built by Colonel John Browne, a Jacobite, who was at the Siege of Limerick (1691), and his wife Maude Bourke. Maude Bourke was O'Malley's great-great-granddaughter.

A statue of Grace O'Malley by the artist Michael Cooper – the brother-in-law of the 11th Marquess of Sligo – is on display in Westport House, and a bronze casting of the statue is situated on the grounds near the house.[31] Westport House also contains a comprehensive exhibition on the life of O'Malley compiled by the author Anne Chambers, a leading authority on Granuaile.

Cultural impact[edit]​

O'Malley's life has inspired many musicians, novelists, and playwrights to create works based on her life and adventures and she has been used as a personification of Ireland:[32][33]

Music[edit]​

• The Irish language poet and Easter Rising leader Patrick Pearse used Gráinne O'Malley as a symbol of Irish republicanism in his lyrics to Óró sé do bheatha abhaile.
  • In 1985, the Irish composer and singer Shaun Davey composed a suite of music based on the life and times of O'Malley, Granuaile, published in 1986.
  • The Indulgers' 2000 album In Like Flynn includes a song entitled "Granuaile", which is centred on the legend of O'Malley.[34]
  • Dead Can Dance's 2012 album Anastasis features a song titled "Return of the She-King", which was inspired by O'Malley.[35]
  • The Irish musician Gavin Dunne (Miracle of Sound) released a song entitled "Gráinne Mhaol, Queen Of Pirates" on his 2015 album Metal Up.[36]
  • The Canadian folk punk band The Dreadnoughts released a song entitled "Grace O'Malley" on their 2009 Victory Square album.[37]
  • The Swedish melodic death metal band Frantic Amber released a song entitled "Graínne Mhaol" on their 2017 digital re-release of the originally 2015 released album "Burning Insight".[38]
  • The 2019 Album Talk like a Pirate by Rockin' Ron the friendly Pirate "Ron Carter" features the song Pirate Grace O'Malley, based on the life of Grace O'Malley

Theatre[edit]​

• The play Bald Grace by Marki Shalloe debuted at Chicago's Stockyards Theatre in 2005, and was featured at Atlanta's Theatre Gael (America's oldest Irish-American theatre) in 2006.[39]
  • The Broadway musical The Pirate Queen depicting O'Malley's life debuted at the Hilton Theater in 2007, with Stephanie J. Block portraying O'Malley.[40]
  • American actress Molly Lyons wrote and starred in a one-woman show titled A Most Notorious Woman, detailing the life of O'Malley. It has been produced internationally at theatres and festivals.[41][full citation needed]
  • The play Gráinne, by J.Costello, K. Doyle, L. Errity, and A. L. Mentxaka, of 2015, tells the story of Grace O'Malley in six snapshots. It was premiered by Born to Burn productions in Dublin in November 2015, with an all-woman cast playing three female roles and six male roles. The text of the play was published in a limited edition by artisan publishers Gur Cake Editions.[42]
  • Irish actress, writer and director, Maggie Cronin's first play, a solo show called A Most Notorious Woman: tales of Grace O'Malley – premiered in 1989.[43][full citation needed]

Literature[edit]​

Statues[edit]​

Other[edit]​

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_O'Malley

Grainne is honoured once again.

Grace O’Malley statue unveiled in Co Mayo’s "Town of Two Graces"​

The new Grace O'Malley statue in Newport, Co Mayo has been unveiled less than a year after the town's statue honoring Irish American Grace Kelly.​

The Grainnue Uaíle statue in Newport, Co Mayo.

A new statue of Grace O’Malley (“Grainne Uaile”) was unveiled in Newport, Co Mayo on Saturday, January 13 as part of the Newport Business Association’s (NBA) Town of Two Graces project.

The Grainne Uaile statue was launched on Saturday afternoon by Nano O’Malley McMahon, the current Chieftain of the O'Malley Clan Association, on Meddlicott Street.

According to MayoLive, Nano said during the unveiling: “In the words of Grace O'Malley herself, 'I have heard of your great fame, I have heard of your brave exploits but I defy anyone to surpass me in valour or deeds of arms.'

"Let us carry her words in our hearts as we continue to forge our own path and leave our mark on the world."

https://www.irishcentral.com/grace-o-malley-statue-mayo

Grainne is honoured once again.

Grace O’Malley statue unveiled in Co Mayo’s "Town of Two Graces"​

The new Grace O'Malley statue in Newport, Co Mayo has been unveiled less than a year after the town's statue honoring Irish American Grace Kelly.​

A new statue of Grace O’Malley (“Grainne Uaile”) was unveiled in Newport, Co Mayo on Saturday, January 13 as part of the Newport Business Association’s (NBA) Town of Two Graces project.

The Grainne Uaile statue was launched on Saturday afternoon by Nano O’Malley McMahon, the current Chieftain of the O'Malley Clan Association, on Meddlicott Street.

According to MayoLive, Nano said during the unveiling: “In the words of Grace O'Malley herself, 'I have heard of your great fame, I have heard of your brave exploits but I defy anyone to surpass me in valour or deeds of arms.'

"Let us carry her words in our hearts as we continue to forge our own path and leave our mark on the world."

https://www.irishcentral.com/grace-o-malley-statue-mayo

That is a truly crappy statue of a 16th century Irish pirate leader. Even her nickname - Gráinne Mhaol, or "Crop-Haired Grace" - reflects the fact that she cut her hair short in order to serve on her father's war galleys.

2/10: Must do better.

maximus otter

PS: Buy the CD:

71SJhNJVdbL._SY355_.jpg

- and thank me later.

m.o.

This is my one 'problem' I have with the idea that pirates were "enlightened beacons of diversity."
While the traditionally male 'professions' had some female participants, the majority of the examples had the women cutting their hair and pretending to be men; at least until they gained enough power and followers to protect her from social consequences.
There is definitely validity in that their 'fashion choices' were influenced by practicality - let's face it, practicality wasn't/isn't a factor in ladies fashions.
But this statue 'feminising' a real person doesn't sit well for me. I'm more interested in the person and their achievements in spite of social norms at the time.

I think so.
Her ability lay in being able to lead and organise others to do stuff for her.

That's her. Watched a documentary on the situation.
Became so powerful, it became a deadlock with the authorities, so they 'came to an agreement'.

Speaking of pirates, it's funny that the site that you linked to has adverts for Temu.

Sorry about that. To find out more about the document, just look up matelotage. ;)

I think the romantic image of pirates depends on the society you live in.
Chris Broad (from the YT channel Abroad in Japan) recounts when he started as an English teacher. A break-the-ice question that he put to the class was what did they want to be when they grew up. After getting some great replies he said, light-heartedly, that they were more sensible than he as when their age, he wanted to be a pirate.
Stunned silence.
A hesitant hand went up.
"Why would you want to be a pirate, Chris-san? Killing and stealing?"

Back