• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why Aren't There Ghosts Of Dinosaurs?

How about Albert Square as a target? Wheresoever that accursed place actually is . Would beat Corrie's ratings, surely?

erm... nah, there's enough dinosaurs on Eastenders as it is

Niles

Surely it would be most productive to summon it somewhere that's going to be live on TV... maybe in the studio green room during next week's episode of Pop Idol?

Sorry if this is spamming, but I wanted to add something beacuse I enjoyed this thread and I didn't like the idea of shuggy having the last word.

Don' worry he's on our ignore lists (control panel, edit ignore list)
and if it went into pop idol would anyone notice?

Hermes said:
Any Jungians among us might argue that dinosaurs don't feature as ghosts because humankind was not co-existent with them, and therefore has no experience/reference for them stored in the collective Unconscious.
However, as a species, we have plenty of experience with all kinds of creatures that we simply don't see as ghosts.

On a slightly different note, if the link between untimely or violent death and hauntings were true, humans should be haunted by the vengeful spirits of millions of creatures, from buffalo, fish, whales, cattle, sheep, to countless billions of arachnids and insects (including mosquitos). But that just ain't the case, is it? But with a little help from you during Eastenders, we might be able to rustle up a dinosaur or two. Whatdya say?

OK, I just had one of those thoughts that seem to spring out of nowhere. (I get these from time to time - it really helps me programming, the whole program seems to appear in my head and all I have to do is type it in.)

Axioms:
1. Some ghosts are human souls sticking around after their mortal bodies have given up. (I have an explanation for other ghosts, but that's not for this thread.)
2. Only human beings have souls.

Observation: People have reported ghosts of their pets.

My theory: Ahem. Cough. Ahem. AA-HEM. A brontosaur is very narrow at one end... Sorry.

My hypothesis, to use proper scientific terminology:
In taking on an animal as a pet, we "humanize" that creature, and actually give it a bit of our soul. Therefore, after that animal dies, it has something of the owner's immortal being. Most times it leaves, like humans, but sometimes it sticks around, becoming a ghost. But "ordinary" animals never receive this little gift and therefore leave nothing behind.

Wha'd'ya think?

Interesting hypothosis JoeP.

I increasingly doubt the existance of a soul or an afterlife, but all the dogs I've had around me over the years, do seem to become 'characters', as they get older & mature. Maybe they just learn to fit in & interact with the human pack that they hang around with, or maybe they are taking on other aspects of humanity?

Who knows?

JoeP said:
My hypothesis, to use proper scientific terminology:
In taking on an animal as a pet, we "humanize" that creature, and actually give it a bit of our soul. Therefore, after that animal dies, it has something of the owner's immortal being.

This is precisely what CS Lewis postulated as an answer to people who questioned him on the likelihood of meeting their pets in Heaven. The pets, he argued, would be bound by the love their owners had for them, and would be present, because their absence might cause unhappiness - which is impossible in Heaven.

Right. Unhappiness is impossible in heaven? What if I die, will the girl I love promptly pop her clogs and head off with me? Otherwise I would undoubtedly be unhappy. What if someone I disliked was already there?
:confused:

If there was a heaven, in the sense we're taught, then there will be an ignore list and as heaven is probably timeless your loved one will already be there.

Hmm Paradox if you are going to heaven and it is timeless you're already there.

Why aren't there ghosts of dinosaurs ? PUFF the magic dragon was invisable therfor a ghost!

I think, then, I am not destined to go to heaven, for I am most assuredly in The Other Place right now...:hmph:

well i live in minnesota and durring dinosaurtimes the state was undre the ocean, do i guess i hon'e be seeing any phantom stegasaruses but mabey some ghostly fish

i saw a phantom dodecahedron last night but it turned out it was just a shape

Dragons, demons....

Richard might be on the right lines.

Suppose there are some residual dinosaur ghosts, wouldn't they be interpreted as dragons, lake monsters, demons and so on?

Perhaps those that survived - since ghosts must have a half-life - became demons....

Is it possible that the only creatures we see as ghosts are those with some self-awareness? That is, creatures with some ability to realise that they exist?
Dinosaurs, with their primitive brains and thinking processes would have been little more than instinctive animals, so would not have had personalities, souls etc.

Mythopoeika said:
Is it possible that the only creatures we see as ghosts are those with some self-awareness? That is, creatures with some ability to realise that they exist?
Dinosaurs, with their primitive brains and thinking processes would have been little more than instinctive animals, so would not have had personalities, souls etc.

The problem with this is there are numerous reports of cat and dog ghosts, almost universally pets (though there are also "rogue" animals, usually mysterious black dogs) while ghosts of non-pet cats and dogs are unknown. Also, there are no ghost primates as far as I know, and they are certainly closer to self-awareness than cats and dogs.
Octopi and cetaceans also show high intelligence, on par with cats, dogs and primate, yet there are no reports of ghost dolphins.

Just a question. How would you know if there are not ghosts of Dolphins? They live in such a different habitat. Hope that doesn't sound rude, I certainly don't mean to be, it's just that the ocean so unexplored anything could be happening?

sorry to burst the bubble with my sceptasism but the reason we don't see dinasor ghosts may be because when we see a shape that we can't assimalate we interpate it as human therefore we see ghosts.

Ok meby this dosn't explain them all but it may explain alot of them...

(dinasors arn't human by the way, well unless you'r talking about the British Consertive party.)

Do we really interpret unknown shapes as Human? Doesn't seem right to me. Maybe if it was approx. human dimensions and fleetingly glimpsed.

human shapes

I can't remember when I saw this one (ie. that we epostulate human faces and shapes but I beleve it was in Fortean Times. might be worth a look in the archives to find it. I may be wrong and just be obsesed with finding rational explanations for things (I actualy DO want to find a true, incoruptable ghost story).

I supose it would depend on the dementions of the light or cloud of dust ect. but I'm sure it's an observed face.

If it wasn't in Fortean times then I asume it was in The Guardian, about the only other thing I pay any atention to.

Rings a bell, think it was in FT- must go and have a look - maybe some time!

ah yes...

Ah yes the 'must go and have a look' thought. I've got a million things in that catagory.

If you find it then Post it on this message board so I can have a look.

All my old FTs are out at my parents where I am curently storing them cause I can't be botherd throwing them out. Perhaps I too will see if I can find it.

HHhhmmmm, has anybody seen the film Final Fantasy: the spirit within.
If you have you my well know the consequences of creating the ghosts of large dangerous beasts. Do you really want a rampaging menagerie of soul stealing beasts scouring the land????

Get Your Laser Guns ready my friends.....

HHmm, this got me to thinking. What is the earliest ghost sighting? I have read of Roman soldier sightings. Anything earlier?

earlier than romans

Well. My sister and her husband had a semi-detached house on a modern housing estate west of Glasgow. It was built in the 1970s, and they were the first occupiers. It was built next to a stream which separated them from an iron age fort. One night, in bed, my sister saw a stream of blue/green vapour going towards the ceiling, while in bed.. She thought she was having a nightmare, until she looked across to her husband, and saw that he was watching the same thing. He was relieved to find she had seen the phenomenon. Their kids were in the next bedroom, and frequently had nightmares, in which one child kept pointing at the built-in wardrobe. Later their neighbour committed suicide by hanging in the wardrobe in the adjoining house. I stayed in the house several times, and always found it creepy. They moved from it very quickly to a smaller house, and never explained why.

Just a thought

Could Nessie et al be dinosaur ghosts?

I live in Arizona ( southwestern United States ), a state containing one of the few remaining bastions of authentic hippiedom still extant in the U.S. - Sedona. A place where all manner of trippy-dippy belief systems reign supreme ( not uncommon to see people rubbing and carrying on conversations with their 'spirit crystals', and where the town mayor absolutely, positively knows that her home is built over the local underground UFO base ). On passing through a few years ago, one 'shaman' noticed the Apatosaurus on the front of my T-shirt and told me that the 'ghosts' of several dinosaurs could regularly be seen on her property, and that she communicated with them. Seems they were deeply disapointed with our stewardship of the planet, and were urging humankind to return to a more peaceful, natural state ( never mind that environmental destruction and savage barbarism ARE man's natural state ). Dire consequences would result if the thunderlizards warnings were not heeded. While sympathetic to environmental concerns, I did not have the heart to tell her that according to the fossil record, the dinosaurs she was describing had never lived anywhere near Sedona. Perhaps they'd commuted from Utah.

Back