• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why Aren't There Ghosts Of Dinosaurs?

Animal Ghosts

There's some evidence that ghosts just plumb "wear out" over decades and centuries. Thus there are British ghosts which were commonly reported in the 18th and 19th Centuries which apparently haven't been observed by anybody for 75 or 100 years.

It's been theorized that ghosts have a half-life of 200 - 400 years.

I don't know if that's true or not, but it may explain why there are no dinosaur ghosts after 70 MILLION years.

On the other hand, "living" dinosaurs and sea serpents are reported by responsible observers every few years, although no subsequent trace of these animals can thereafter be found. Isn't it possible that those sightings are of GHOSTS?

i like the cut of your jib matey ;)

Well poor old nessie, nothing but a phantom.

Spookdaddy said:
I have heard the theory put forward that entities such as Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster are actually the ghosts of long extinct critters.

Cool, but what about when people catch Nessie on Camera? The ones that have been taken look shadowy like.

Could be likely though.

mane40 said:
What is the earliest ghost sighting? I have read of Roman soldier sightings. Anything earlier?
The interesting thing about Roman ghosts is that they only seem to have been sighted since Victorian times, when the budding discipline of Archeology brought the Romans back into the public eye. It was only when people knew that they were walking along old Roman roads that they suddenly began to see Roman soldiers marching down them.

Roman Ghosts?

Isn't it possible that individuals living in earlier centuries, during less- educated and more ignorant periods, could have observed "Roman ghosts" without possessing sufficient historical sense to recognize them as such?

Wouldn't a "Roman ghost" in armor have been describned simply as "wearing old-time armor, the kind they wore years back"?

Just a theory to casually toss into the arena of discussion - perhaps events are required to be witnessed by the species who'll later be haunted by them, in some sort of collective genetic memory?
Who was it that postulated that one? Sheldrake?

Hi guys and gals, I came across an old thread earlier on called "Why aren't there ghosts of dinosaurs?" http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/why-arent-there-ghosts-of-dinosaurs.1177/ clicked on it and noticed that there weren't any recent replies, so I decided to create an updated version. Hope this is ok.

I believe that Nessie could be a ghost of a plesiosaur because many people have seen her, but no one has caught her yet and she appears probably at certain times. As if she was flesh and blood, there would be more frequent sightings.

Let me know what you guys think and looking forward to reading your comments.

Many thanks.

I would suppose since the general theory is that ghosts are recordings of past events, after a while the recording will run down, so no ghost dinosaurs, very very few prehistoric men, more Romans and millions of victorians.

But it could also be that ghosts are all conjured up by the human mind and it's much easier for us to imagine victorians then dinosaurs.

Or it could be a mixture of the two.

I thought Loch Ness was only formed at the end of the last Ice Age? Prior to around 10,000 years ago, it would have been either dry land or glacier.
It's possible that many millions of years ago it was part of the North Sea, but even supposing that plesiosaurs did swim through the same geographic location, they would have done so at sea level, not at the elevated level of today's Loch.

Maybe it's a time thing and the ghosts fade as time goes by,
you would think in places like the Som so many died that there
would be ghosts to be seen at any time 24/7

Yes, where are those millions of billions of dead ant's ghosts, for example?

So cats, dogs and horses, who feature quite regularly in ghost accounts, have souls (whatever a soul is)?

Mind you, Sir Francis Bacon's chicken allegedly came back as a ghost, and chickens are the nearest extant animal to a T Rex...
I think the consensus of opinion reached on the differences between reports on the 'ghost of pets' thread as opposed to the 'ghost of animals' thread, is that humans/owners are contributing in some way to the phenomena.
As for chickens being the nearest exant animal to a T Rex, I would suggest ...

Ostrich_skeleton.jpg

When I was a kid, people would tell me all the dinosaurs bodies decayed into gasoline so us modern people could drive our cars.

Actually I believed the reason dinosaurs disappeared is because they smoked too many cigarettes.

It's a fascinating question and one which I have brought up on the 'Primary School Teachers' Facebook forum.

Surely an interesting topic for a classroom discussion...

'Who has seen a dinosaur's ghost... anyone?

:)

As with children, people established an energy connection with their pets and think that their pets are human.

So, owners who lost their pet could actually see a pet ghost.

I do not think anyone had a pet dinosaur.
Fred Flintstone?

tenor.png

Well, there are those people who claim to see pterosaurs and small raptor dinosaurs. Dino ghosts would explain that, assuming you believed there are ghosts and that dinosaurs could have ghosts.
I suspect - I hope - there are more people who don't believe in dinosaurs than who believe in dinosaur ghosts.

Back