• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wild Boar

Anyway the wolf population as now reached I think the high hundred's and they are protected,
the farmers claim they loose around 10,000 sheep and lambs to them every year and there is
a government compensation scheme...

The taxpayer pays to have the wolves reintroduced.

The taxpayer pays to have the wolves acclimatised.

The taxpayer pays to have the wolves monitored.

The taxpayer pays compensation for the damage caused by wolves.

The taxpayer pays to have the wolf "management" (hunting) administered.

The taxpayer pays...

Dwellers inside the M25 - those who gush loudest about rewilding - have little to be concerned about if wolves are reintroduced. It's real people - sheep farmers, pet owners, rural parents, turkey breeders etc. - who will experience the negatives. But hey, f*** them, eh? Many of them probably aren't even vegan!

maximus otter

France though is not as densely populated as the UK.
This is the crux of the matter. Apart from some of the very isolated parts of the Highlands of Scotland, there aren't many parts of the UK where wolves could properly live wild without having to be managed in some fairly critical ways. I'd really love to see wolves wild again but not if it means they are going to be trapped, shot, hunted or have idiots with cameras using bait to try to get 'cute pictures'.

This is the crux of the matter. Apart from some of the very isolated parts of the Highlands of Scotland, there aren't many parts of the UK where wolves could properly live wild without having to be managed in some fairly critical ways. I'd really love to see wolves wild again but not if it means they are going to be trapped, shot, hunted or have idiots with cameras using bait to try to get 'cute pictures'.
Exactly! This is my point entirely - you are introducing a species into a melieu far different than the one they thrived in. It's not re-introduction ... it's importing.

Back