• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wild Talents: What Are Yours?

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
So what strange and unusual things can you do?

I'm still impressed by Mr.Snowman's jumping abilities and would be really interested to see them on show:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=299411#post299411

although fluffle's talent is probably best kept under wraps (except for special occaisons and parties I suppose) ;)

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=426656#post426656

-------------
So do you see dead people, can you levitate, how good are you at cold reading, are you a prestidigitator, etc.?

Me? I can't think of very much at the moment although I have rather basic regurgitating abilities but I've never really practiced or developed it beyond just being able to swallow a ball of bread, speak and such and then bring it back up again - enough to horrify and upset most people who see it but not something one can impress the ladies with.

I can whistle with my mouth shut. It's very quiet, but I can just sit there, smiling serenly, while a little tune seemingly comes from nowhere...
:D
It's cos my soft pallet isn't quite right, so I've got a little gap in it that I found I could whistle through when I was a kid. The gap does have the unfortunate side effect that food sometimes goes into my sinuses. I lost a whole mini winegum up there once and had to snort it out!
I think theres a sideshow act in there somewhere...

I used to hold the world record for the greatest number of drinking straws inserted in the mouth at one time.

Gordon

I used to be able to hold 4 billiard balls in my mouth when I was about 11.

Dunno if I can still do it. Haven't had any balls in my mouth for years.

Hahaha, and I'm good at innuendo too.

I can look into someone's eyes and see their secrets sometimes.

Example-
escargot- Sis, show us your new tattoo then!
Sis- Only if you can guess what it is!
escargot- It is of course a scorpion!
Sis- Gasp! How did you know that?

She is a Scorpio. Scorpios are proud of being Scorpios and they love scorpions. As any fule no.

Emperor said:
although fluffle's talent is probably best kept under wraps (except for special occaisons and parties I suppose) ;)

you might think being able to get my own nipples in me mouth is a talent but i once knew a bloke who could - and excuse my bluntness here - suck his own cock. he didn't demonstrate the act itself, but did demonstrate that he could get his head far enough towards that area of his body that he would definitely have been able to do it had he been of normal dimension down there.

i used to be able to get me legs behind my head when i was thinner.

i don't think i have any talents that are not at least vaguely dirty.

I can cross my eyes (and, uh, do the opposite) at will. I can view those magic-eye posters in an instant, and those "find the six differences" cartoons are a snap, if I tilt the page I can overlap the images and spot the differences immediatley.

Emperor said:
So what strange and unusual things can you do?

I'm still impressed by Mr.Snowman's jumping abilities and would be really interested to see them on show

Well, if I make it to the Uncon, I'll be more than happy to demonstrate :) Did anyone follow my instructions for successful leaping? It's all in the distribution of body weight and the flicking of the joints. One has to be in total control and at one with one's self, as it were :)

I'm really impressed by that, I cannot do magic eye pictures, somebody told me that a few people are just incapable..so does that count as an extraordinary talent? :)

Can we include members of our family?? My cousin has an extraordinarily long tongue, she can poke it out and up and lick the end of her own nose......our family gatherings just fly by.....

Piscez said:
I can cross my eyes (and, uh, do the opposite) at will. I can view those magic-eye posters in an instant, and those "find the six differences" cartoons are a snap, if I tilt the page I can overlap the images and spot the differences immediatley.

ooh yes, actually i'm good at crossing my eyes too. i used to be able to do the magic eye posters instantly but i'm probably out of practice now (had a book of them when i was a kid). sometimes when i look at something with a repeating pattern my eyes get dead confused and can't see it properly, like each eye is looking at a different part of the pattern.

erm, i can't make my eyes diverge, though, i mean i can't point the left one left and the right one right, or one looking up and one looking down or anything (like a chameleon!). i can only do stuff that could actually be used to look at something.

I can spout off about all manner of crap, and convince people I know what I'm talking about, even when they're experts in the field.

I can bend my thumbs back 90 degrees, i.e. put my palm flat on the table and point the thumb tip straight at the ceiling. Actually, I'd kind of forgotten I could do that until I read this. I've always had great natural flexibility (you there in the back, stop waggling your eyebrows or I'll have you thrown out) but a friend who worked as a massage therapist warned me that this sort of hyper-flexibility could lead to a load of problems when I'm older.

Leaferne said:
I can bend my thumbs back 90 degrees, i.e. put my palm flat on the table and point the thumb tip straight at the ceiling. Actually, I'd kind of forgotten I could do that until I read this. I've always had great natural flexibility (you there in the back, stop waggling your eyebrows or I'll have you thrown out) but a friend who worked as a massage therapist warned me that this sort of hyper-flexibility could lead to a load of problems when I'm older.

I can do this too. What sort of problems can it lead too?

I can also look up, grab my voice box and wiggle my trachea/esophagus back and forth. Great party trick.

My friend warned me I'd be prone to arthritis, but there's a fair bit of that in my family anyway. *sigh* My fingers are long but not freakishly so, I don't think. My mom's hands are the same and she told me that when she was young, she was told she had "midwife's hands" (ew). She was a gymnast when she was younger, and could bend forward and right around--"I could bite my own bum!" as she put it. :D I can't do that but I can put my feet on the opposite shoulder while sitting down (and no, I haven't done yoga in ages).

Boy, I'm glad this board is anonymous.

Ah. I've got long fingers too.
Cos mine are also quite thin, I can knot them all together, one behind the other. Looks quite grim.

StellaBoulton said:
Ah. I've got long fingers too.
Cos mine are also quite thin, I can knot them all together, one behind the other. Looks quite grim.

i can do that too. it's minging.

I don't know if this is really a talent, or more of a state of mind / conditioned response thing, and I don't really know how to describe it, but here goes:

I have total body-confidence, by which I mean if I'm faced with a physical task (gap to jump, something to climb, box to lift) and I think, "yeah, I can probably do that" it means I can. I also have total faith that if I want my body to do something, it'll do it - I guess this is either a function of me being good at pretty much all sports, or my being good at all sports is a function of this.

I also have excellent self-control, even over some almost involuntary actions. For example, if I'm sitting in a chair, rocked back on it's back legs, and somebody "hilariously" pushes me over (I'm a bloke - it's what we do), then instead of doing the traditional waving of arms and legs and going "woh-woh-woaaahh!" as chair falls to the ground, I'll simply look around and find something to stop myself falling - so in the case of the chair, I'd probably twist round in the seat, lean over the back, and support myself on the floor.

I think it leads an air of unflustered calm to things - although it can look a little silly if I've overbalanced somewhere, and somebody finds me arched over supporting myself on a wall 4 feet away :D

i thought of another one i used to have - controlling my own heart rate. i could slow it or speed it up noticeably by thinking about it.

Oh, yes - i forgot this one:

i was told by a masseuse (Oi, you lot - out of the gutter. And stop sniggering too, or I'll put you across my knee) that I had, and I quote, "incredibly strong knees, and very pretty feet, for a footballer". Not quite what I expected, but it's nice to be liked for whatever reason!

fluffle said:
i thought of another one i used to have - controlling my own heart rate. i could slow it or speed it up noticeably by thinking about it.
Did it have anything to do with the talent you first mentioned?

'Cos, I have to say, it has a noticeable effect on mine.

Not 'wild' per se, but I do very good, enormously convincing, cold readings. Should I ever decide to use my powers for evil, a career as an end of pier gypsy surely awaits.

I'm also in the 'scarily supple' camp. Like fluffle I could put my legs behind my head when thinner, and even now I occasionally startle neighbours and loved ones by bending and stretching in unexpected ways.

edited for spelling

"it can look a little silly if I've overbalanced somewhere, and somebody finds me arched over supporting myself on a wall 4 feet away "

Hmm, sounds like you were a cat in a previous life.

Does being able to pick things up with your toes count?

anome said:
I can spout off about all manner of crap, and convince people I know what I'm talking about, even when they're experts in the field.

Hey! I can do that too! Its loadsa fun being an 'expert' in a room full of them. I mean, lets face it everyones expertise is surrounded by quotation marks!
:)

I have the so-called "gift" of knowing that's someone's about to die.

This has been with me since I was very young, and used to spook out my mum and dad on a regular basis. It's not just people I know, I can see someone well-known on the TV or ina magazine and say "they're not long for this world" (or something) and within a day or two - off they pop! (I must add, it can be young or old, even a re-run of an old show or a picture of when they were a child, I just know - and it's not even people who are known to be ill)

Working in a hosptial, it's a bit disconcerting having someone wheeled past me onto the ward with a minor ailment, with me knowing that the'll be leaving the ward on a mortuary trolley. :(

On the plus side, I can also tell when someone's pregnant - even when they don't know it themselves (this doesn't work with myself though!!!;) ) I told my sister over the phone that she was pregnant (she hadn't mentioned to anyone, even her partner that she thought she might be) she said that she'd done a test that was negative, but went off and did another anyway - I now have a beauttiful 3 year old neice!

*rushes off to expunge all images of self from 'member photo' thread* :eek!!!!:

Wembley said:
Does being able to pick things up with your toes count?

somehow i read this as "being able to pick your toes". :cross eye

i may not be able to get my legs behind my head any longer but i can still get my toes in my mouth, erm if i really really want to. how do i know i can do that? i don't know. i expect a drink was involved, like the nipple thing.

i'm beginning to think i have a talent for picking out situations that will be really awkward to get out of and diving straight in because it seems like a good idea at the time. i think alcohol may play a large part in this one too.

I can drink a bottle of smirnoff Ice (Or any other sickly alcopop I suppose.) whilst it is lodged in my cleavage. No hands!!

I came upon this talent because our Area Manager was telling us that the Personnel Mananger could do it and he thought that I had the right "build".:rolleyes:

How come you didn't demonstrate this when I was in London last year?

Well this year, I fully expect to see a demonstration.

The first draft of this response was too obscene, even for me.

Back