• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wild Talents: What Are Yours?

I can :

touch my nose with my tongue

tie knots with my tongue

put my ankles behind my head (although this is a bit more difficult of late)

pick things up, write, untie things etc with my feet (the untying thing can be quite handy at times ;) )

I can do the Vulcan thingy with both hands.

I'm good at tongue twisters.

I can sit in the lotus position

I can sing pretty much anything within a four octave range.

That's probably enough to be going on with. It's disturbing to realise the amount of tricks I can do with my mouth....

Oh yes, I used to be able to balance a pint glass full of liquid (or almost full for safety's sake) in the small of my back. I have no idea how I found this out. I bend over so my legs are straight and hands on the floor (this I can definitely still do) put a pint glass on the base of my spine, then I slowly straighten up, but with an arch in my lower back which the glass stays on. Rather bizarre.

And I used to be able to put my elbows on the floor withouth bending my legs. Can't quite manage that these days, well not without spreading the legs a bit anyway.

and another thing - I can eat a jam doughnu without licking my lips, and a fruit pastille without chewing it :D

Helen said:
I can :

touch my nose with my tongue

tie knots with my tongue

put my ankles behind my head (although this is a bit more difficult of late)

pick things up, write, untie things etc with my feet (the untying thing can be quite handy at times ;) )

I can do the Vulcan thingy with both hands.

I'm good at tongue twisters.

I can sit in the lotus position

I can sing pretty much anything within a four octave range.

That's probably enough to be going on with. It's disturbing to realise the amount of tricks I can do with my mouth....

:D

'Scuse me all, time for a cold shower !;)

I can place both arms round the back of my neck, and then cup both hands under my chin. My ex didn't like it. Freaked her out a bit. Looks horrifying in the mirror.

I can also walk on the outsides of my feet, and bend one ankle round so that my foot faces the other way.

Geez my ability to juggle and make the vulcan sign with both hands (not at the same time) kind of pales into insignificance.

I once knew a girl who could do a really interesting party trick with ping pong balls does that count (personal abilities once removed does that count)?

Was talking to my manager today, and she mentioned that I have a genuine intuition for finding the right listing (for those who came in late, I'm a directory assistance operator). It's something I've noticed, and I suspect that it's related to cold reading. I used to read playing cards in high school, and upset some of the teachers and secretaries with the accuracy of the readings. Also sometimes disconcert co-workers by "knowing" stuff about them. One girl came up to me a few weeks back and said, "Guess what!" I looked at her and replied, "Your boyfriend proposed." She was stunned.

Clarrie, you want to team up and pluck all the pigeons we can find?

My semi-wild talents:
(I could) find stuff people have lost (well, I used to do this pretty well in a shamanic-practices class, especially if someone said something along the lines of "Can you tell me where------is?")
Haven't done this in a lloonnggg time.

I used to be able to 'run energy' on folks to the point that some felt almost painful electical shocks (but were then pain-free from usually debilitating chronic conditions for about two weeks)---also not done this for many years...

I seem to make a sort of peace with the local 'landscape panic' or 'bitey thing' (my term) that scares folks locally.

And I cad get roaringly drunk without a hangover (tho' the older I get, the less I have this talent).

I can smell blood to the point where I can actually FOLLOW the scent of blood.

Being able to smell blood has its draw backs. Most especially with women who...don't wash properly shall we say. When I used to work in London, travelling on the tube everyday was an absolutely nightmare. I would be white as a sheet sometimes by the time I'd rolled in to work. Generally when a woman's "on", not a problem...but if they're particularily heavily on or they don't wash properly, then I can REALLY smell it.

So as you can see, it probably sounds cool to most wannabe vampires, but it isn't...it's totally useless and has MAJOR drawbacks given that a large chunk of the population bleed on a regular basis.

Probably why I work from home now. Much happier here, thank you:) Tend to avoid large crowds as a result of it and go shopping on less busy days too.

The possible origin of the extrodinarily useless wild talent is that when I was a kid of about three or four years old I would stuff things up my nose...then one day my mother noticed I had a huge bulge up one nostril and notices fly wings sticking out the bottom. she called the doctor when she found she was un able to remove the dead fly herself...so the doctor took his tweasers to it and proceeded to remove the fly (it'd just got jammed up there and he managed to yank it out), followed by macaroni, a frosen pee, one of thpse single brick pieces of lego, a dead wasp and a section of walnut shell.

anyway the walnut shell ruptured some nerves on the way out apparently.

Either that or I've always been able to smell blood.

who knows.

I also have foot-related talents. Picking things up easily with my toes, pulling tissues out of a box... one of these days I may try to peel a banana with my feet. :D
(To the two other people who can do this sort of stuff... Do you find that you can spread your toes abnormally far apart?)

I can wiggle my ears, too. I never thought it was anything strange until one of my friends made a big deal out of it. She leaned over to talk to me one day at lunch and freaked out because my one ear twitched backwards. :p

Breezilla said:
one of these days I may try to peel a banana with my feet. :D

just please don't eat it afterwards.

i can wiggle me ears (and twitch my nostrils), too.

fluffle said:
just please don't eat it afterwards.

i can wiggle me ears (and twitch my nostrils), too.

I've NEVER been able to twitch my nostrils. :( I've known several people who could, and it always amazed me.

Hmmm...doing things with my toes (picking up stuff, etc) and Vulcan salute are just part of me. Never could understand the whole issue over the Vulcan salute. On the other hand, I lack the gene to be able to fold my tongue into a U shape. Or wiggle my ears. But I can cross my eyes as needed, twitch my nose. Can't raise only one eyebrow, though.

I can cross my right eye while my left one looks straight at you. [shurg] Only really comes in handy for making scary monster faces as it creates an odd pressure and makes the world impossible to view.

Also I used to twirl a baton with my feet. -- I'd lie flat on my back with my feet in the air, making a 90-degree angle with my legs, and twirl baton -- tosses and all.

The odd thing about this was it was a guaranteed blood glucose lowerer (I'm diabetic). Noone could ever figure out why. An hour of it would lower my glucose 100 points or more sometimes.

I can touch the tip of my nose with my tongue.

I can do the vulcan thing with both hands simultainiously.

I can dislocate my right thumb at will.

With my feet together and my legs straight I can put both palms flat on the floor.

With my feet about shoulder width or wider appart I can touch the floor with my elbows without bending my knees.

I think that's all.

Cujo

Oh yea, that reminds me. I can also pop my left arm out of the socket and then back in. Hurts if I leave it out too long though, and looks a bit funny when it IS out.

i can do vulcan thing both hands, easy... and aparently my friends say im known for my single eyebrow "coments"...and my thumbs are odd... the end joint goes over center so i can push in drawing pins, sort of forms a curve backwards...makes the wife feel sick but its normal from me , inherited from me mum..harry has it too.

sidecar_jon said:
...and my thumbs are odd... the end joint goes over center so i can push in drawing pins, sort of forms a curve backwards...
I can do that, too! My toes are similar, in that it's almost like the end joint isn't actually connected to the rest of them, especially as the toe gets smaller. I can actually bend the end joints so that they point at the ceiling, while the rest of the toe is lying falt on the floor. Doesn't hurt, doesn't even feel like anything is stretching - a bit weird.

My toes are fairly talented, but not as much as Helen's (and let's be honest, there area couple of talents there that I wouldn't mind encountering first hand ;))

***What, out there? In that rain? At least let me get my - oh, here it is ...***

Have you lot of auto-contorting freaks been run over by a steamroller or what?

>Have you lot of auto-contorting freaks been run over by a steamroller or what?<

We have to take this from a mollusc?
:)

I'm fairly flexible, but can't compete with some of the mutants around here...

Does a strong sense of direction count? I seldom get lost, and can usually find my way somewhere once I've been there. Very handy for long walks in the woods, as well as visits to strange cities.

Hedgewizard - are you changing your avatar, or am I really hammered??? :confused:

My t'Other Half is like that. He has a fantastic sense of direction. Mind you, he reads maps for leisure. He usually has a good idea of what's north and south, though. I haven't a clue.

Mind you, I can drive somewhere I haven't been before. It's just if I'm driven anywhere, I don't pay that much attention I feel. And I'm a terrible pedestrian; I haven't a clue where I'm going. That's why I need a chaperone at Uncon! :D

I'm like that too: always know where north is, seldom get lost, etc. I certainly didn't inherit that from my mother; even when she and I were much younger, she was the sort who could get lost in a bachelor apartment.

Ravenstone said:
Hedgewizard - are you changing your avatar, or am I really hammered??? :confused:

My t'Other Half is like that. He has a fantastic sense of direction. Mind you, he reads maps for leisure. He usually has a good idea of what's north and south, though. I haven't a clue.

one of my ex-boyfriends has the world's worse sense of direction.
example: he's driving and we've taken a wrong turning, so i tell him to go all the way around the next roundabout so that we exit the way we came in. he goes straight on, thinking he'd gone all the way around the roundabout and was now going in the opposite direction. then he does EXACTLY THE SAME THING at the next roundabout. :rolleyes:

Just done a quick test.

I can:

do the vulcan thing with both hands simultaneously;
twitch my nostrils;
do that thing Stella described, where you knot your fingers together, one behind the other.
sit on the floor with my knees touching and my lower legs splayed out (like the opposite of sitting with your legs crossed)

I can also crack chewing gum (like the opposite of blowing a bubble) in a most irritating manner and am pleased to say I have taught my no 1 son to do this . . .
:rolleyes:

Carole

This might seem like a pretty lame talent, but I really enjoy Mondays...
:)

Not so much a talent, as an affliction.

Then again, so are many of the things on this thread.

I can take my right eye out and put it in people's drinks, or give it my other half so he can put it in his mouth and do a tri-cyclops impression.

Okay, so it's made of plastic. Can still clear a bar though :D .

I'm synaesthetic, with a photographic memory for smells (if that makes sense).

I can smell blood too. And people's individual scents, even to the point of sometimes being able to tell who last sat on a chair.

I'm scarily accurate with rune readings (scared the living bejeezus out of a bloke once who had asked me about work and I looked him in the eye and said "but you were actually thinking about your wife being pregnant" even though he hadn't told anyone at the time).

Apparently I'm nearly impossible to lift. I seem to stick to the ground, and I don't weigh that much. I'm not sure that's a talent, though, really :confused: .

Sam

Ravenbait said:
And people's individual scents, even to the point of sometimes being able to tell who last sat on a chair.
Ooh, is that unusual? I can do that too. I have some bedding from a flatmate who left nearly two years ago (clean!) I can STILL smell him on it.

I have an excellent sense of direction in forestry but not in a city. It just all looks the same to me.

I've got two things connected with driving. The first is that I can estimate to the minute how long a journey will take even if the route is unprdictable like the return journey from London to Reading. If someone asks when I reckon we'll be home I'll say something like 3 minutes past 9 and that is exactly when we'll pull into the driveway.

The other one is that I can feel my way to anywhere without looking at the map. For example I was supposed to meet up with some girl in Manchester a few years ago. I had never been to Manchester and was living in High Wycombe at the time. Instead of asking her to give me directions I just asked for her address and a description of the outside of the building. The plan was to head into the middle of Manchester and then either ask someone or get a street plan. Anyway off I went. Went I got to Manchester I hung a left, turned right, went a couple of miles turned another few corners. Suddenly I thought that I must be nearly there so I pulled in with the intention of phoning her. I looked at the street sign and found that I was on her road. Then I looked out the side of the car and realised I had stopped right outside of her house.

This is only one example but it has happened maybe a hundred times.

And people's individual scents, even to the point of sometimes being able to tell who last sat on a chair.
Erm, is that a Capt Buttock type talent?

I used to hold the British record for reciting the value of Pi from memory. That was in 1991, and I still have the newspaper clipping to prove it. Saying how many decimal places I did sounds a bit sad though. A couple of years ago someone beat it.

Big Bill Robinson

Back