• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wild Talents: What Are Yours?

i have a very sensitive sense of smell, i can smell who's been a room for hours afterwards, i know what they've eaten the day before, and i can smell if someone fancies me or someone else nearby or if they are really repulsed. and it doesnt matter who much you wash - you arent safe from my super powered proboscis

Well, let's see - I can dislocate my thumb and shoulder - I can do the thing where one eye is looking forward, and the other is looking in a different direction (it's wierd, to me it seems as if my eyes are vibratiing). I can bend the top of one finger so that it's at a right angle to the rest of my finger. I can dislocate my jaw (I don't do that one very often).

I also seem to have a knack for knowing what scares people.

Creamstick said:
I also seem to have a knack for knowing what scares people.

let me guess: usually your powers of dislocation? ;)

eild talents

I only have to hear a piece of music or a song once and can sing it note and word perfectly. I can put my hands flat on the floor and not bend my knees - and I'm no spring chicken!!! - and I can make a VERY weird noise indeed with my tongue and the roof of my mouth - it's very loud and sounds like a small explosion - great for creating a diversion if I was James Bond! (How do people get to know that they can do these strange things in the first place - what were they doing when they found out??? - I can't remember when I first knew I could make 'the noise' but I was very young...)

My husband can raise one eyebrow (and I really wish I could do that!) and can also twitch his nose like the witch in that US comedy programme from way back. He has an amazing sense of direction and never needs a map ever - in any terrain.

Since I fractured my pelvis in a car accident (and a few other bits as well) when I was 19 I have been able to 'belly dance' like a true turkish professional! (You know they way they seem to dislocate the lower half of their bodies so that it looks like it's moving quite independently of the top half.....?) Pity it's a talent I'm not often called upon to display nowadays .........

Yep.

Mmhm--

I have a Lazy Eye, so the 'One eye to the left, the other straight ahead' thing happens daily.

I was listening to the radio the other day, and this woman told how she went to some bar in the middle-east. Since it was a Monday, or something, they were having some kinda talent show, and another woman blew out a series of candles using her...Private Area.

How? I do not know.
:shock:

I can take a beating like nobodys business. If anyone has ever seen the movie Cool Hand Luke, my talent is something like that. You can't keep me down, but you can't make me hit back either. In fact, if I'm getting punched or slapped or kicked, it dosen't even seem to hurt at the time, and for some reason, I don't get mad about it. Adrenalin - endorphin combo? Aside from that, I hate pain ~ scream like a banshee every time I stub a toe.

P.S. ~ I'm not you know, 'abused' ~ I just spent most of my life in a part of the world where people liked to fight & I've had my fair share, that's all.

I can do most of the hand thingies that people have mentioned, as I have very long, thin and agile hands. Unfortunately the rest of my body is graceless and awkward.

I have two interesting mental abilities. One is that I have a knack for passing tests, regardless of subject matter or whether I am knowledgable on the subject. This ability seems to have nothing to do with intelligence, but some strange driving intution. I genuinely enjoy tests, I always have, and seem to kind of have the ability to get 'lost' in them, and the next thing you know the test is finished, and invariably with the correct answers. My other wierd mental talent is that I can kick habits. All kinds of habits, big and small. From annoying but harmless ritualistic behaviors to all-consuming addictions, when I decide its time for them to go, they go. My willpower isn't particularly spectacular in other areas of my life, but boy can I kick a habit.

This is a test, I repeat, this is only a test.....

I'm crap me, I can't do anything ... you ask D'Mother.

no, wait. I can whinge you lot under the table ...

The first review in the current issue of the book on the Fox sisters (FT192:59) asks:

Can anyone reading this make loud knocking noises with their toe and knee joints or is it a lost art?

So is it? Or can someone here do this?

I can make a rather unplesant clicking noise with my big toe (but only on the right foot) however it's not that loud, can only be done once and I can't do it with my shoes on. It's similar to the sound of someone cracking their knuckles, I would be very surprised if anyone mistook the noise for knocking. But maybe if I worked at developing it I could make it louder and more controlled, however I have been told that cracking knuckles or other joints can lead to arthritis. (is this an urban myth?)

eyeballs

I can 'vibrate' my eyeballs - I just sort of tense them up and stare at a fixed point and the iris shakes violently from side to side, faster than you can normally move them, so they look kind of blurry. my little sister can do it too - I think it might be connected to short-sightedness, weak muscles or something?

I used to do it to the opposing team members as a distraction tactic when playing volleyball in primary school. evil child.

Don't do it much these days - it hurts!

:shock:

Perhaps you're part Siamese cat? That's a perfect description of our Gizmo's eyes.

Oh, and welcome!

well, i do have an icy distainful stare and make a strange wailing when i try to sing...

Emperor said:
The first review in the current issue of the book on the Fox sisters (FT192:59) asks:

Can anyone reading this make loud knocking noises with their toe and knee joints or is it a lost art?

I can do that. Hurst like hell after a while and I look like a chicken while doing it... But it is still funny :)

I can "taste" if someone else has used a glass.

I can invent a totaly bizzare theory and prove it. Atleast seem take make sense.

Thats it. thats all. Nothing more... You can move on to the next post... No realy! You can move on.... Are you still reading this?

Ryuu-Sama said:
Emperor said:

I can do that. Hurst like hell after a while and I look like a chicken while doing it... But it is still funny :)

I can "taste" if someone else has used a glass.

I can invent a totaly bizzare theory and prove it. Atleast seem take make sense.

Thats it. thats all. Nothing more... You can move on to the next post... No realy! You can move on.... Are you still reading this?

Hey welcome to the board Ryuu-Sama :hello:

Be interesting to hear some of those theories :D

Mothfox said:
I seem to make a sort of peace with the local 'landscape panic' or 'bitey thing' (my term) that scares folks locally.

Ooh! Please tell us some more about this, will you? How about an IHTM?

Ravenbait said:
I can take my right eye out and put it in people's drinks, or give it my other half so he can put it in his mouth and do a tri-cyclops impression.

Okay, so it's made of plastic. Can still clear a bar though :D .

I had a friend do that with a pint of Guiness. He took his eye out, dropped it in, downed the drink and then replaced his eye. Later on, he got a bit too drunk and did the same trick with a double whiskey. Owww.

If you want o hear some of them, pm me and i'll tell you about em :)

Emperor said:

I haven't checked this thread out for ages and yeah, I can do that too and I only recently asked a doctor about it. I wanted to know if it was normal to do this but his reply was to tell me to stop doing it rather than actually answer my initial query. :roll:

I dislocated and fractured my right knee a few years back (one for ridiculous accidents thread really) and since then I've been able to sort of *crunch* and twist my knee so it makes the knocking *tock* noise. It makes my mother queasy when she hears it and I have had people say "Did you hear that? what was that?" when I have been at work and I have had to explain it was my dodgy knee that they heard. I can do it on purpose and it also has a tendency to *go* on its own and the noise can be very loud. I reckon I could make it *knock* about three times in a row before it would get uncomfortable or painful.

I just did something fairly remarkable - I got my highest ever score at Tetris! (And it was a considerable jump up from my previous best.)

The reason, it seems, is that I was worrying about a family problem I am going to have to deal with sooner or later, so my subconscious was playing the game 'on autopilot'.

This sort of talent applies in many fields - some sportsmen call it being 'in the zone'. If we could do this at will, we'd all be much better than we are - all you have to do is stop thinking about what you're doing! 8)

I have long fingers, and very long toes. I can write with my feet.
When i was young, my horrid little brother used to call me monkey toes, because i could use them like fingers, even now i use my feet to open doors. :)

I just did something fairly remarkable - I got my highest ever score at Tetris! (And it was a considerable jump up from my previous best.)
Tetris 'could boost brain power'
The classic computer puzzle Tetris may boost brain power, American scientists have discovered.
Published: 6:40AM BST 02 Sep 2009

Tests reveal that despite being relatively simple compared to today's sophisticated video games, regular practise can increase a players' grey matter and improve thinking.

The findings were made after experiments with teenage girls who were asked to play Tetris for half an hour a day for three months.

Scans revealed "structural changes" in parts of their brains "associated with movement, critical thinking, reasoning, language and processing," said researchers in a report to be published by the journal BMC Research Notes.

The scientists from the Mind Research Network in Albuquerque, US, also believe that practising the game - which involves juggling falling shapes into neat blocks on a computer screen - may boost "mental efficiency".

Neuropsychologist Dr Rex Jung said: "One of the most surprising findings of brain research in the last five years was that juggling practice increased grey matter in the motor areas of the brain.

"We did our Tetris study to see if mental practice increased cortical thickness, a sign of more grey matter. If it did, it could be an explanation for why previous studies have shown that mental practice increases brain efficiency."

More grey matter could mean that certain areas of the brain do not need to work as hard to complete complex tasks.

Psychologist and co-author Dr Richard Haier added: "We were excited to see cortical thickness differences between the girls that practiced Tetris and those who did not."

Tetris was developed by a Russian programmer, Alexey Pajitnov, in 1984 and remains one of the world's most popular computer games.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... power.html

You'll be evolving into Homo superior, with a brain the size of a planet, Rynner ;)

Timble2 said:
You'll be evolving into Homo superior, with a brain the size of a planet, Rynner ;)
That's why I'm so depressed...

I can tie a knot in a cherry stem/lolly snake with my tongue

I used to be able to dislocate my jaw, and I did it pretty regularly. I now wish I didn't do it so much because now my jaw locks sometimes and it's really, REALLY irritating to be unable to open it wider than a centimetre for days at a time.

I also can tell when someone's about to die. I don't know why. I don't know what it is. It's not like someone's telling me anything. I just KNOW it.

I can smell blood. And I like the smell of it. When I was little everyone smelt differently to me and I just assumed everyone was like that. The older I get the weaker that ability gets. I can still notice it if I really TRY but it's not a default sense anymore. As a random side-note. Families tended to have very similar smells to me. My Aunt and Uncle and their kids all had very similar smells and to this day I can smell them on things they gave me when I was little.

That's about all I can think of for now. Unless you count my extraordinary ability to attract scary/freaky/annoying/drunk people wherever I am. :p

I was taught to breath fire at glastonbury a couple of years ago, I don't do it much because its dangerous and I tend to set fire to things when I do do it.

I can lick my own elbows! It amuses me, but most people just think I'm weird - might not have any thing to do with the elbows though....

Back