• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

Does anyone recall a prediction involving Wilfrid Hyde White. He was at a horse race when he heard an announcement of the winners of a race that had yet been run. He said that if the race was not run before his death he would leave the names of the runners and riders with his solicitor. This was in a popular true-stories type book in the late 70's or early 80's. Any further info on this would be great as it has bugged me since I first read it.:)

I didn't know about that prediction of his, but I'm sure he made another that came true.

Wasn't he the one who told James Dean that he would kill himself driving his new sports car? Apparently James had just bought it and drove to the restaurant where Wilfred Hyde White was having lunch.

I think I heard Wilfred tell the story on a TV interview years ago.

Cheers

The Boggart

I think it was Alec Guinness who told the James Dean story on the Parkinson show in the late 70s/early 80s.

Mirar.

Not sure how much in the way of psychic powers would have been necessary to perceive a self-destructive streak in Dean, "the human ashtray" as Kenneth Anger dubbed him in Hollywood Babylon.

Would have expected the satanic Mr. Anger to have picked up on the psychic schtick but I guess the gay S & M angle was more irresistable.

:rolleyes:

ren said:
Does anyone recall a prediction involving Wilfrid Hyde White. He was at a horse race when he heard an announcement of the winners of a race that had yet been run. He said that if the race was not run before his death he would leave the names of the runners and riders with his solicitor. This was in a popular true-stories type book in the late 70's or early 80's. Any further info on this would be great as it has bugged me since I first read it.:)

Ren, I remember this story and am sure I've got this in a book somewhere. I'll look it up for you, but bear with me as I am a bookaholic and it may take a little time . . .:)
Carole

This prediction was in a book by Arthur C. Clarke, one of his big coffee-table jobbies called 'Mysterious World' or somesuch. The follow-up to the one with the crystal skull on the front. I have it somwhere and will dig it out.

(Incidentally, I once trekked to the Museum of Mankind in London from leafy Cheshire to show the crystal skull to four eager kiddies, only to be refused a chair to stand them on to see it. It was displayed at adult face-height in a farty glass case, tucked away among various dusty displays. This was during the Arthur C. Clarke TV series which featured the skull prominently, so you'd think the museum might have taken advantage of the free publicity! I ended up lifting each child bodily in turn, watched by sneering curators. Museum of Mankind, null points!):blah:

Cheers for responding but I really want to know if the prediction ever came about. Highly unlikely I guess but it would be nice to know before we all die in a cloud of Anthrax! :eek!!!!: :eek!!!!:

didnt u know Anthrax isnt contagiouse?....why is it used in biological warfare then?...strange what they tell you isnt it

In the 70s I did a lot of sailing off the west coast of Scotland, There was an island outside of Ullapool somewhere where it was forbidden to land because it had once been used for scientific/military research into anthrax.

Some years ago I read it was now safe to visit. Anyone have any more info?

That was Gruinard Island, which was finally decontaminated about twenty years ago by injecting some sort of formalin preperation into the soil.

is this thread still going? did anybody find out about the prediction?

just did a bit of googling.tped in "predicting james deans death"expecting to have to wade through pages of psychics but absolutely nothing came up :shock: have all traces of his death been removed from the net :eek!!!!:

jacuithebook said:
just did a bit of googling.tped in "predicting james deans death"expecting to have to wade through pages of psychics but absolutely nothing came up :shock: have all traces of his death been removed from the net :eek!!!!:

No it's the way you asked google - try: Guinness james Dean - without quotes
Yes, it was Sir alec who had the premonition and told his story on Parkinson.

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Immortalize ... Dean.shtml

Dean had just bought a 1955 silver Porsche, when he encountered Sir Alec Guinness, Grace Kelly, and Louis Jourdan outside a restaurant. He showed them his new Porsche, and bragged that it could do "a hundred and fifty." Guinness, thinking that the sports car looked dangerous, warned Dean never to get in it, and predicted that if he did, he would be dead within a week.

Sure enough, only six days later (on September 30) they pulled James Dean's lifeless body out of the twisted wreckage of his new Porsche, on a lonely stretch of highway near Paso Robles, California. He had been driving more than twice the speed limit when he crashed... Following a Quaker funeral service, he was buried back home in Fairmont, Indiana.

cheers rrose i did a bit more searching after my last post and came up with the same stuff you did.i was just surprised that those three words together didn*t throw up anything at all!

I have both the Mysterious World and the World of Strange Powers books (the latter being the one with the crystal skull on the cover [I've long since lost the dust jacket for this one though - a shed load of people borrowed this book from me in the 80's]), as well as a few episodes of each of the TV series based on each book transferred over from crusty old VHS tapes to DVD.

I'll scan the pages during the weekend and post the links in this thread.

You've just prompted me ... I've got it too.
*Dusts off the book and becomes intrigued*

jacuithebook said:
cheers rrose i did a bit more searching after my last post and came up with the same stuff you did.i was just surprised that those three words together didn*t throw up anything at all!

the results would of only showed things which were speaking about a prediction that the man was going to die, and not information on a man who predicts. See?

It's on page 62/63 of Arthur C Clarkes World of Strange Powers.

In his own words:

" We were approaching the stands, when we bacame aware of a mumur of voices. From the Heath came similar sounds, mingled with hurdy-gurdy music and the raucous tones of tipsters. ` Then there was the national anthem, a burst of cheering and the sounds on an invisble Royal procession making it's tarditinal way down the course, as soverigns have done since George IV's time. they heard the voice of a small child saying, `Look, the lady isn't wearing a crown.` Hyde White, by his own admission not adverse to believing in apparitions, imagined that perhaps they were expereincing the ghostly return of some Royal Ascot of Queen Victoria's day.

`Then something happened.1 he asserts, `which put things in an entirely different light. A disembodied voice bean to announce the runners and riderrs for the race. I can't remember when this system was first introduced in Britain, but it was nheard of in 1935, and we listened in sckd amazement. More surprising still, the names of the horses were completly unfamiliar to us. I, who I find it hard to memorize the lines I have to speak in a play or film, can recall the name of every good horse which has run in England since I was a boy. This lot meant nothing to me.`

Hyde White and his friend wandered down to the rails of the deserted racecourse as the voice announced, `They're off!` 'We heard the thunder of disntant hoofs, listened to the comments of those about us, and were told who was first, second and third."

Gradually, according to Hyde White, they realised that they were hearing the noises of a race meeting of the future. The commentator went right through the card and even announced the daily double - £183 - before a shower of rain sent the two men scurrying back to the stand, and back to the present.

they made a careful note of all the winning horses, but half a century later on, the ghostly runners have not appeared before the Queen - and Wilfred Hyde White's greates coup has yet to come off. This odd tale has none of the evidence which makes other premonitions so convincing, but Hyde White has promised that when he is no longer able to lay an eartly wager, he will leave behind the phantom names in case they at least come along to haunt the bookmakers of England.

Here are two another Anecdotes involving Mr Hyde-white
1:
Bankruptcy Hearing

During the course of his bankruptcy hearing, Wilfrid Hyde-White was examined by a somewhat exasperated official receiver. "Mr. Hyde-White," he remarked, "if you cannot tell us how you spent such a large sum in so short a time, perhaps you could tell us what will win the Gold Cup at Ascot this afternoon, since I understand you would already like to be on your way?" "Of course, dear fellow," Hyde-White replied, naming a horse. "But only have a small bet," he wryly added. "We don't want to have to change places, do we?"

["I've owned twelve horses, seven Rolls-Royces, and I've had mistresses in Paris, London and New York," Hyde-White once remarked, "and it never made me happy." (Hyde-White's horse indeed won its race.)]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2:
Drama School

"I learned two things at drama school," the character actor Wilfrid Hyde-White once recalled. "First, that I couldn't act; second, that it didn't matter."

This is sort of off-topic, but I always thought Wilfred Hyde White was a very cool guy - and this just makes me think he is even cooler now!

Hi, I'm Ren (i've changed my forum name, but Ren is my name (without the squiggle!). And I was stunned :shock: to see this thread still toddling about. Have to say THANK YOU to Sunspot8 for the text from the Arthur C. Clark book. But I guess we'll never know if the mighty Wilfrid's premonition/vision/whatever ever came true :( (or are we still waiting? :eek!!!!: ). anyway, cheers my dears. xxx

I wonder if we could speak to Mr Hyde-White today if he'd say "Oh, hohohohohohohoho, no, no-hohohoho!" or "Oh, hohohohohohoho, yes, ye-he-he-hes!"?

Hi, I'm Ren (i've changed my forum name, but Ren is my name (without the squiggle!). And I was stunned :shock: to see this thread still toddling about. Have to say THANK YOU to Sunspot8 for the text from the Arthur C. Clark book. But I guess we'll never know if the mighty Wilfrid's premonition/vision/whatever ever came true :( (or are we still waiting? :eek!!!!: ). anyway, cheers my dears. xxx
Yes this story was published in the book Arthur C Clarkes world of strange powers circa 1986. Mr Hyde White and a friend were walking around the Ascot circuit to get an idea of the going when they heard music and voices, shouting etc but the place was deserted, also a young voice was heard saying "the Queen isn't wearing her crown" Mr Hyde White then hears the names of the runners and riders of a race and then apparently hears the winner or winners of a race or races. Mr Hyde White was an expert in horse racing and hadn't heard of any of these horses or they're riders before. He therefore convinced himself that they were attending a race meeting of the future until a huge downpour of rain made them run to the stands and back to the present time. He made a note of the winners that he heard so could pass them on to haunt the bookmakers of England!

Lovely story! But a pity we can't get closure on it!

Yes this story was published in the book Arthur C Clarkes world of strange powers circa 1986. Mr Hyde White and a friend were walking around the Ascot circuit to get an idea of the going when they heard music and voices, shouting etc but the place was deserted, also a young voice was heard saying "the Queen isn't wearing her crown" Mr Hyde White then hears the names of the runners and riders of a race and then apparently hears the winner or winners of a race or races. Mr Hyde White was an expert in horse racing and hadn't heard of any of these horses or they're riders before. He therefore convinced himself that they were attending a race meeting of the future until a huge downpour of rain made them run to the stands and back to the present time. He made a note of the winners that he heard so could pass them on to haunt the bookmakers of England!
Possibly somebody was at the race course, playing about with recordings over the PA system.
I lived down the road from Ascot race course at that time. The PA system was so loud that we could often hear some of the announcements quite clearly. There are odd acoustic effects that allow sound to travel for some distance over the heath.

I'm the anonymous Ren that started this thread. August 2001, I really have been bewitched by Fortean stuff for a long, long time. I'm currently (very) slowly rebuilding my collection of mags from the 80s and 90s.

I don't know why Wilfrid's story struck such a chord with me. I re-bought the Arthur C. Clarke book a while back, I was glad to realise that Wilfrid's story still intrigues me. I was also glad that the photo of the lady (A. J. Stewart) who believed she was James IV of Scotland still gives me a little shiver of magic.

No doubt there is a very pedestrian answer to Wilfrid's tale (faulty memory, mistake by track announcer) but at the time and to this day, I like the elusive mystery of "what did he hear?"

Reminds me of Telly Savalas' experience when he heard a disembodied voice saying ''Have you seen what they've done to Kennedy?'' while he was on the golf course one afternoon in November 1963.

Back