• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
AndroMan said:
A wood full of eager scientists, UFOlogists, zoologists, cryptozoologists and Forteans. What could it all mean?
Early closing? Nothing on telly?
ibid
A Midwinter night's romp. A strange, dark, hairy figure. Did it have donkey ears? Possible cases of mistaken identity abound. :D

One false move, and we could have a farce on our hands.

Zooform phenomena. What Jon Downes saw in the woods was a seven-and-a half feet tall figure, and there is a history of sightings in the area, but they seem to believe it is a supernatural creature.

Theres a lot of talk of ABC's in the UK at moment - assumed to be realsed wild cats. What about wild monkeys/bears etc? Have these been recoreded? On another thread i read that a certain zoo monkeys regulaly escaped. does anyone know about wild bears/monkeys found around the UK and could these fit wild men descriptions?

(sos about crap spelling, friday night and all.............)

Looking for wild men in the UK? You'll be sorry you asked.

Newcastle: The Big Mar'et, of a freeda neet. Every boonser in the toon, and a good few punters too.

The Beast of Bolam is not alone

Strange as it may seem, I have been monitoring a case in Northern Ireland where a creature has been seen either shortly after sunset or during the night over a seven year period.
All those who have sighted the creature have not been linked and its not reported to the authorities due to its nature.
Its location is set amoung trees and seems to appear along the route of a river which travels through a 17th century estate. No one lives in the estate and little travel there at night due to the many tales it has threw at us over the years. It too is about 8ft tall, red eyes and almost human.

I'm seeing a lot of information which is similar to this case being related by the Fortean Times.

Good luck with your hunt.

Espirit,

Would you be able to provide information as to the location of these sightings?

I would be very interested in taking a walk in the woods, so to speak, and see if I can find anything there.

I am planning a trip to Armagh later in the summer to look for the werewolves/giant wolves that are reputed to live up there as well. It doubles as a good camping trip if nothing is seen.

At the turn of the last century there was a troop of chacma baboons living wild in an English park - all I remember is that it was forested. Can't recall the location but it was noted in an old zoology book that I had and the people at the local zoo had made the decision to leave them be as they were shy of humans and were not thought to pose a threat to anyone.

Colobus monkeys and macaques are great escape artists. Colobus could certainly survive and English winter but would be highly visible in all seasons due to their black and white colouring. Macaques are doubtful given their small size.

Greenock Cat Eater

A decidedly feral down-and-out gentleman is said to sleep rough in the west-of-Scotland town of Greenock, eating cats and drinking from puddles. He has been encountered several times and reports have ranged from elderly ladies seeing him watching through their lounge window at night to drunken youths, a gang of which claim to have challenged the hirsute man to a fight, only to have him best all of them. There is a Strathclyde POlice file on the reports, but he is said to be harmless to humans unless cornered or terrorised.

I used to go to Bowlam Park as a child...

....I find inconceivable that any hominid could possibly exist in such an area.

If you do go to try have a look for yourselves, try and go to the milkbar in rothbury, its highly recommended

I must admit, I kind of gawked at the Bolam Beast stories.

Last week, however, I was on a woodland conservation project working in Borough Woods not far from Morpeth and I guess about ten miles, maybe less from Bolam Country Park.

Naturally, being an avid FT reader I was regaling a couple of my colleagues with the story of "the beast" as nobody, except one or two of the local project officers, had heard of it.

At the end of the first day's work, we were heading back to base on foot as it was a lovely evening, along the River Wansbeck, when there was the oddest noise from up the top of the site where we had been working. I can only describe it as a tremendous scream, but it didn't sound like any animal I've ever heard and it didn't sound very human either.

Everybody looked up to where the noise was coming from but due to the density of trees we couldn't see a thing. We just shrugged our shoulders and carried on.

It certainly wasn't a bird and I couldn't see it being one of the other examples of wildlife that live in the vicinity (red squirrel, roe deer, otter, fox or badger).

It certainly spooked me at the time though. Following that whenever I got the chance though the week, I'd have a look for any mysterious footprints, which should have been evident given the muddy conditions...but of course, found nothing.

My chance to enter the history books on the back of my BHM experience backed up with hard evidence thwarted!

Filthy......

If you didn't get your private message I hope you read this...

I'm still covering the Bolam case and would love to have a word with you about this, also have you spoken to Jonathan Downes or Richard Freeman at the CFZ about it?

Give me a shout :blah:

GEORDIE BIG HAIRY MONSTER EXPEDITION MAY/JUNE 2003

Calling all cryptozoologists, forteans and anybody with an interest in Guardian Spirits, Leys and the Iron Age.

We intrepid forteans up here in the north east are arranging an overnight stay in Bolam and it's environs, the haunt of the Geordie Bigfoot/Yeti/Guardian Spirit.

Hoax? Neanderthal ghost? Unknown Hominid? A protective thought form or left-over from a ritual from an age gone by?

Wanna find out?

All are welcome, especially any experts in Iron Age settlements, Earth energy and/or magic and any channellers or mediums.

The media are most welcome.

Rough plans are set for May or June, allowing us all to recover from Uncon!

Come on, sign up :grouphug:

possibly whats the crack
where when how long etc
only problem for me is my girlfreind will be heavily pregnant by the end of june so..............................:yeay:

I'm interested, but I'm not completely sure any stuff to do with Iron Age settlements, etc. will be of any relevance to what's going on...

Iron Age....

We're just dotting the i's and crossing the t's and trying to cover all possibilities but the sheer amount of settlements and Iron age (prehistoric?) archaelogy around that area must play some part.

And anybody is welcome, just an open and discerning mind is required.

kit?

what kit will i need?
camera,tent,binoculars?
hotel or staying up all night, boots ,waterproofs what will this trip entail?
whats the area we will be visiting be like?

Re: Iron Age....

Zavian Friday said:
We're just dotting the i's and crossing the t's and trying to cover all possibilities but the sheer amount of settlements and Iron age (prehistoric?) archaelogy around that area must play some part.

Hmm - perhaps, perhaps not. Why do you think it should? It would be a first, from a folkloric point of view...

Jerry B

:sceptic: Did you not catch Steve Jones' lecture at last year's unconvention about Hooded entities and guardian spirits that lurk around old sites?

And I'm not sure about your comment on the unimportance of these sites in folklore - I thought they were of immense importance and that the majority of fairy-lore and word of mouth mythology came down from the old pagan settlements and sites.

And Tin finger I suggest you go look at a map site and type Bolam in... the main area is around a lake and it's a countrypark so it's not as inhospitable as it sounds. We haven't made our minds up exactly where we're gonna be, plus we'd need permission. But I would take it as read that you'll need all the camping essentials. As well as a good camera and torch.

And possibly a spare pair of pants, who knows?

:rofl:

Re: Jerry B

Zavian Friday said:
:sceptic: Did you not catch Steve Jones' lecture at last year's unconvention about Hooded entities and guardian spirits that lurk around old sites?

And I'm not sure about your comment on the unimportance of these sites in folklore - I thought they were of immense importance and that the majority of fairy-lore and word of mouth mythology came down from the old pagan settlements and sites.

I haven't said anything is 'unimportant' ;) My main concern, if I were to join such a jaunt (and I would very much like to), is that the assumption has already been made about a few things. One shouldn't assume that any old Iron Age or earlier sites necessarily have any folklore attached to them. Folkore can be misleading; sometimes a tall tale to try and explain why something exists in the landscape. And it doesn't necessarily have any links at all with any pagan past. One sure-fire way of seeing if there actually is any connection is to check out the local folklore first, just in case ;) If there are any precursors, all well and good.

cameras

thinking of doing some infa red photography is it recomended as for the tents i live about 45mins away by car is it an all nighter or in shifts whats the plan?
myself and my girlfreind are going to have a look next week end
during the day it always helps

Jerry B - I can assure you that no one has made any pressumptions, I wouldn't call myself a Fortean if I did. You can read my rather irreverent and shambolic first visit to Bolam on the home page.

My only concern is to cover as many possibilities as I can and to have as many representatives or experts of that particular theorem with us on the night(s). It would be pretty daft to go up there and sit amongst all that impressive Iron Age archaelogy and NOT have an expert with us.

Like I said in my original post I'd like experts in earth magics, magnetism, Ley lines, folklore, cryptozoologists and also mediums. I wouldn't turn anyone away. My good friend and fellow expeditioner (such a word?) Etheldred has a very strong suspicion backed up by strong local rumours that the Beast Of Bolam is a hoax, nothing more nothing less. We are keeping that in mind too.

Basically as well as being a good structured examination of this recent and homegrown phenomena I'm hoping it will be a bloody good laugh and yet another excuse for us Forteans to meet up. After all the spookiness we can all make our way to nearest rural pubs for some apre expedition commentary :_pished:

And Tin finger if you've got an infra red camera then you're definately welcome to come along. I'll be bringing my nightsight scope with me but something that can pick up those frequencies will be very helpful. If anyone else has any other equipment - maybe something that can pick up magnetic fluctuations? - then they are most welcome to come along and impress us.

To answer your other question - It's an allnighter at this point but who knows maybe it will grow and grow?

:grouphug:

infra red photography

any one with a manual slr camera can shoot infra red spectrum
its just a bit fiddly to load / print the film but a keen amature i am!

Let me know when you have a date sorted out and I'd hopefully be able to attend. As for IR photography - it may not be too good at night, unless someone has an IR lamp. It's a tricky medium to get working effectively. Methinks that checking the local folkore for mention of any 'humanoid' entities in the area would be very useful, so a trip to the local library might be a good idea.

Edict 001/01 from the desk of the GEORDIE BIG HAIRY MONSTER EXPEDITION MAY/JUNE 2003 Corporate Media Relations Directorate

all that is required is an open mind, a cat, welding gloves

there are local rumours that the whole thing was a hoax, but a suspicious number of likely lads claimed to have 'inside knowlege' after the event. Pub gossip doesnt interest me

exploring a site of unexcavated neolithic, Iron Age, Roman and beyond, settlements, does

since we will be spending the night in the middle of nowhere, security is a concern which has been raised.

I suggest the following. Anyone who wishes to be part of this expedition mail Stu (havent checked with him yet, but he's a lovely accomodating man for a soft southern shandy drinker). Stu identifies that person to his satisfaction, then PMs 'ZF Of The Scary Avatar'.

if anyone thinks we should take security precautions further, please post suggestions. Lets not all get paranoid, but bear in mind we are off into the dark deep woods with the intention of bothering ghosts / spirits / yetis in the company of total strangers

for my part, after UNCON I intend to put the word out among the badly dressed local farmers that we are interested in any verbal legends, ghost stories, myths surrounding Bolam

might put a wee ad in the Morpeth Herald to kick off our Integrated European Media Campaign

ZF must henceforth be referred to as...

Beloved Leader - on informal occasions

Glorious Leader - on formal occasions

Sublime Leader of Unsurpassed Radiance - when theres media reptiles about

The Bloody Management - when its just us chickens

Orders, orders that must be obeyed at all times...

JERRY B: Any information on the cave-dwelling yeti-like creature called the Deugar that was mentioned on a website of Rothbury and it's environs would be a great help. Apart from the original site I've found it elusive. And the guy who wrote it wasn't very helpful, in fact a bit sarky.

ETHEL: Will this advert cost anything? I'm not that comfortable with anyone delving into their own pockets just yet (especially me) until we can all meet up and put our pennies together. Great idea tho and when we do we could also try a publication up in the Rothbury area, the Hexham area and even down in good old Chronicle land.

And I still think that getting in touch with Nightowls is a good idea annoying ginger bloke or not (and let us not forget he is a student of shamanism now so he is a very dangerous weilder of ginger magic), but not for a while yet maybe. Have you been in touch with the beeb at Radio Newcastle? Do you know if the planned paranormal show hosted by Julia Hankin got off the ground? I was meant to go on as a guest but then heard nowt more :confused:

JERRY B, TIN FINGER, BUTTERFLY and ETHEL: Are you all going down to uncon? If so we should defo meet up, separately from the other meets I mean. :_pished:

:wow: just had a brainwave!!!! I wonder if it is too short notice to run off a few fliers for uncon???

:grouphug:

Back