Woman 'Marries' Her Duvet: Objectophilia Uncovered

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/8265972/woman-marrying-duvet-ceremony-wedding

The Sun Newspaper I DU said:
A 49-year-old woman is getting married to her DUVET… and the dress code is pyjamas and slippers
The bizarre ceremony will be held at Rougemont Gardens in Exeter, Devon
By Lucy Devine
23rd January 2019, 9:51 pm
Updated: 24th January 2019, 12:01 am
I wish it were possible to gain independant confirmation regarding objectophilia. I strongly-suspect most of it is artful posturing, rather than a true intrinsic desire.

What do you believe?

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
She's an "artist".
Exactly my point (not to in any way denigrate artists: well, real ones, I mean)

And when referring to reality....what about objectophilia more broadly?

My point is, whilst there are almost-certainly many genuine adherents to some forms of paraphelia, I feel that many cases listed as being true examples of Object Sexuality are also just exhibitionist posturing.

Take for example the (mainly) women who marry landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower, the Statue of Liberty, or Niagra Falls. Have they ever been polymetrically tested, to show intrinsic arousal when in the presense of their 'lovers'? Or observed to confirm their interaction with their spouse, when there's no obvious witnesses present.

Example such a men copulating with cars (sober or drunk) are meaningless, in that significant quantities of human males will attempt to mate with anything that's there (or even not there).

It's not difficult. Let's get someone who claims they want to have sex (or an LTR) with a theme-park checked for dilated pupils, breathing patterns, genital vasdilation and mucal secretions. I'm just not buying it, in the vast majority of instances (even for those that do conjure a superficial conditioned reflex).

catseye

For the greater good
Yes, I think we need to differentiate between actual love, 'desire for sex' and just plain showing off.

Usually people marry someone 'for better or worse'. Implying that they wish to be with their significant other during bad times as well as good, and to help the other person through any traumatic life events. I can't (though I've tried) see how many traumatic life events might be suffered by a duvet or a bridge or a waterfall.

An interesting test might be - if that duvet loses all its stuffing during a particularly eventful wash cycle - would she still be there for it? Would the Statue of Liberty still be a love object if it fell down?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Not boasting, but I sleep with my duvet every night.
You slag! ..

My duvet has a life of her own, she usually winds herself around my legs so I have to be careful not to fall out of bed most mornings.

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
There was a show on tv a few years back, an American program I must add that featured a guy who genuinely was in love with one of his motor vehicles. He was quite open about it and was shown fondling it, caressing and kissing it and fully admitted to having intercourse with the exhaust pipe. The show was quite sympathetic towards him and didn't mock him as you might expect a sensational show like this one was, would.
He too wanted to marry his car.
I wonder what became of him?

There was a show on tv a few years back, an American program I must add that featured a guy who genuinely was in love with one of his motor vehicles. He was quite open about it and was shown fondling it, caressing and kissing it and fully admitted to having intercourse with the exhaust pipe. The show was quite sympathetic towards him and didn't mock him as you might expect a sensational show like this one was, would.
He too wanted to marry his car.
I wonder what became of him?
Brings to mind:

With the pistons a pumpin', and the hubcaps all gleam
When I'm holding your wheel
All I hear is your gear
With my hand on your grease gun
Mmm, it's like a disease, son

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Brings to mind:

All I hear is your gear

Quite a lot of Marc Bolan's songs display a disturbing sexual preference for cars.

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
Brings to mind:

All I hear is your gear

And I recall Don McLean singing a song about the love for one of his cars too. La la I love you.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
What's the problem here? My duvet might be the most important factor in my life. I think about it a lot when I'm at work and can't wait to see it. At bedtime I smile gratefully in its warm embrace and cuddle it all night. I buy it gifts and tell it how pretty and smart it looks.

Yup, 's'bedtime, I'm off to my one true love.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
And I recall Don McLean singing a song about the love for one of his cars too. La la I love you.
Then there's Led Zep's Trampled Under Foot -

Greasy slicked-down
Groovy leather trim
I like the way ya hold the road
Mama, it ain't no sin
Talking 'bout love
I'm talking 'bout love
I'm talking 'bout

Ooh, trouble-free transmission
Helps your oil's flow
Mama, let me pump your gas
Mama, let me do it all
Talking 'bout love

etc

Dunno how he ever sang that without laughing, I can't!

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
...featured a guy who genuinely was in love with one of his motor vehicles. He was quite open about it and was shown fondling it, caressing and kissing it and fully admitted to having intercourse with the exhaust pipe.
I really hope he let it cool down first.

I'm also thinking of the Kwik-Fit song now, for some reason.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I wish it were possible to gain independant confirmation regarding objectophilia. I strongly-suspect most of it is artful posturing, rather than a true intrinsic desire.

What do you believe?
If it is an artistic act, it’s not an original one. Just put ‘woman marries’ into google and you’ll see train station, fence, horse, dog, eiffel tower amongst other things.
And didn’t Tracey Emin marry a rock? And more recently a woman married a dead pirate’s ghost.

As an aside, Assassins Creed Odyssey's loading screen contains a little nugget that the greeks would put inanimate object on trial in court.

James_H

I mentioned Ballard before, but has anyone here read Crash? Grim.

catseye

For the greater good
Surely the question about consent should be asked here - you can't (and quite rightly) marry someone who is judged unable to give 'informed consent'. Yet you can 'marry' an inanimate object that is, by definition, unable to give any kind of consent at all. So we presume that these inanimate object have no feelings or emotions to be transgressed by this 'marriage'?

There is a next stage to this, which I don't even want to think about...

James_H

Surely the question about consent should be asked here - you can't (and quite rightly) marry someone who is judged unable to give 'informed consent'. Yet you can 'marry' an inanimate object that is, by definition, unable to give any kind of consent at all. So we presume that these inanimate object have no feelings or emotions to be transgressed by this 'marriage'?

There is a next stage to this, which I don't even want to think about...
Thorny issue, can dildos give consent? I would argue that with no meaningful consciousness, there is not issue.
However, I guess it's something that's going to come up with increasingly intelligent sex robots in the future.