• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Would you buy a Haunted House?

Who wouldn't mind being a ghost that haunts a place? Wouldn't like to Haunt a place for ages though as you'd be doing nothing else.

eyedonttrustyou said:
Im tired of being haunted...

I mean nothing against ghosts.......I know they arent all bad...its just that they scare the fuck out of me no matter what................i mean if they want to have a straight forward conversation thats cool...but I cant stand all the wierdness......why the running up and down stairs? why the crazy foot steps and breathing and random words? why all the scarey shit? do they even know they are doing that?quote]

and why does it have to be at two o clock in the morning? i wouldn't mind having a converstion with a ghost(if they are interesting enough that is, say Lon Chaney or Thomas More) but why creep around my bedroom a few hours before i have to get up? i hate having my sleep disturbed whether the disturbee be dead or alive.

HelzAngel said:
eyedonttrustyou said:
shit, mabey we are all ghosts to the ghosts....

Have you been watching "The Others"?

no but i did once....

its a funny thought to me...that we could be ghosts to somebody else...

mabey Im a ghost...

if a ghost could move an object, why coudnt it use a computer?

log on and start chatting on the internet and sending emails.......haha

and dont ask me if Ive been watching "Serial Experiments Lain" ;)

To those who said yes... dont you care that your intimacy would go out the window? To those who are supposedly living with one, how do you cope with the fact that someone might always be watching? Plus, if you can't communicate with it, and I've never read a story were the people could communicate with their domestic haunt, whats the point?

Anyway, this is what I love about this message board: a few minuts ago, I was thinking if I should go to bed, or finish my paper, which is only due for next week. But after reading this thread, its a no brainer. Thank you, FTMB, for helping me through university!!!

Fortean Time Message Board: More efficient than coffee"

Iggore said:
To those who said yes... dont you care that your intimacy would go out the window? To those who are supposedly living with one, how do you cope with the fact that someone might always be watching? Plus, if you can't communicate with it, and I've never read a story were the people could communicate with their domestic haunt, whats the point?

Anyway, this is what I love about this message board: a few minuts ago, I was thinking if I should go to bed, or finish my paper, which is only due for next week. But after reading this thread, its a no brainer. Thank you, FTMB, for helping me through university!!!

Who needs Coffee when have The Fortean Times. :yeay:

Plus Coffee sucks bad.

yeah i have trouble sleeping after reading alot of the It Happened To Me! posts......

Iggore said:

They're one of those things you get used to, aslong as they aren't too invasive you forget they're there untilsomething happens. The closest thing I can think of is pet cats, they only really bother you when they want something, (or is it just me getting mixed up, and I have cats who think they're evil entities?)

To those who said yes... dont you care that your intimacy would go out the window? To those who are supposedly living with one, how do you cope with the fact that someone might always be watching?

Who says that they cant see you anyway?? Does that mean that only in a property or location that is 'haunted' that the ghosts can see you as well as seeing them?

Or can they go where they wish, when they wish?????? :?

from what i have learned over the years i guess the question of your privacy being invaded depends on the kind of haunting. if the haunting was of the residual energy/stonetape theory type or if the person did not actually know they were dead and unawares of any living person inhabiting the same space then i do not think that there would be problem. i reckon its the ones who sneak about your bedroom in the middle of the night that you should be worried about. or in the case of my mums house the one that is supposed to reside in the downstairs toilet.

Iamroachford said:
Or can they go where they wish, when they wish?????? :?

some theories (generally held by the spiritualist communites) is that most apparitions/spirits who haunt locations are either earthbound (caught in the atmos and cannot move on) or in visitation, or residual. in any case the spirit may or may not be aware of living persons, but those in visitation are more likely to be aware of living persons occupying the areas they visit (and can also move from place to place). in the case of residual hauntings it is not an actual spirit but a recording, or so the theory holds.

moderndayyorkist said:
. or in the case of my mums house the one that is supposed to reside in the downstairs toilet.

To be honest, If I saw a ghost, on the toilet is the place Ild want to be, otherwise I'ld have to change my trousers.

:lol: man after me own heart!

truth be told im not sure how id' react. sometimes i reckon it would be pretty cool to be able to talk face to face with a ghost. but then i realise that is possible for the departed to come back that would include my grandma and i really dont want to have to explain what i did with the hideous vase she left me!

I wouldn't want no ghost using my toilet! :shock: :lol:

thankfully no one has seen him/her. just things like taps turning themselves on, stuff falling off the shelves that really shouldnt have, etc. general poltergeist type stuff.

Although seeing one when using a toilet could help. :lol:

sounds like someone should up their AllBran intake! :err:

County Durham - For sale: Haunted houses

Location Wolsingham
Guide price £895,000
Agent George F White, 01388 527966; www.georgefwhite.co.uk

For two months the Paranormal Society studied the basement of Stanhope Old Hall investigating things that went bump in the night. Or, to be exact, sharp temperature falls and reports of an old grey lady, who inexplicably moved furniture. The ghosts of a murdered couple allegedly found beneath the floorboards are also part of the legend in this 10-bed house.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/pro ... ouses.html

Plus 9 others (Picture Gallery)

Image 7 (ex-vicarage, Canewdon, Essex) is definitely in spooky territory:

Legends of Witchcraft and Ghosts

There is much unsubstantiated superstition surrounding the village. George Pickingill (1816-1909) who, living in the village during the late 19th century, was said to practise a combination of Danish paganism, Arabic mysticism, Christian heresy and French witchcraft.[8] Generations were influenced by the Danish with Canute the Great's invasion in the 11th century and that of French and Flemish weavers, some of whom brought French witchcraft and heretical beliefs of the Cathars to England. Although rooted in the Old Craft, George was feminine-centric, based on goddess worship and search for female witches. Under his guidance, 9 covens were created in Essex, Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Norfolk and Sussex.[9] He apparently called witches for a meet near St. Nicholas church with a wooden whistle.[8]

Local legend proclaims that there will always be at least six witches, three of cotton (lower class) and three of silk (higher class).[8]

The earliest written accusation of witchcraft appears to be that of Rose Pye, a spinster who in 1580 was said to be living as a witch and responsible for bewitching to death in August 1575 Johanna Snow[10] or Johanne Snowe, a 12 month old child from Scaldhurst Farm in Canewdon. The case went to court where Rose pleaded not guilty. Although acquitted, Rose remained and died in jail a few months after her acquittal. Five years later Cicely Makin was accused of witchcraft and unable to find five people who would swear that she was not a witch. After given five years to mend her ways without success, Cicely was excommunicated from the church.[9]

There are many ghost stories within the village, most again central to the church. The most famous ghost is the grey lady who reportedly floats down from the church's west gate towards the river Crouch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canewdon#L ... and_Ghosts

Not me. Would like to think I could sense if somewhere was gonna be creepy on inspection.

Guess it is harder once you have moved in if stuff starts happening. Cost of moving would surely make you think twice about upping sticks.

A house that was supposed to have its own ghost would be a huge point in its favour for me!!

titch said:
A house that was supposed to have its own ghost would be a huge point in its favour for me!!

Depends on the ghost.
If it does bad stuff and disrupts my life, then I wouldn't like it at all.
If it was benevolent and didn't irritate me, I wouldn't mind too much.

When i where a lad i read an account of a beautiful female ghost, that gave out red hot kisses to sleeping men, i want that house!! :D

If I feel safe in a house I wouldn't mind if an ordinary stone tape style ghost manifested itself. On the other hand if the house 'feels bad' (which I think is due to some neglected part of our senses, not necessarily the supernatural) then I woudn't stay in it , let alone buy it.

My current house is full of noises, but because it feels so secure I've never really bothered about then (apart from the hum that sometimes keeps me awake!) . There's a noise at night that sounds exactly like someone crossing the landing and in another house it might have me spooked, but here I know its just the floorbords relaxing.

Atmosphere and ghosts - hmm - the analytical part of my mind wishes we could grip on to something there.

There is a house in a village near us that was the scene of a domestic tragedy, wife and two kids killed by husband who then killed himself, about 18 months ago and from what I can see when we drive by it is still empty. It's just a small house in a close of similar rented properties and although I haven't heard any tales of it being haunted I don't think I would want to live in it.

titch said:
When i where a lad i read an account of a beautiful female ghost, that gave out red hot kisses to sleeping men, i want that house!! :D

Sounds a bit too close to necrophilia to me!

I dunno, if its a spirit then its still a living person, you are not going near a dead body... :?

The last 4 properties ive lived in have or seemed haunted (see some experiences) but the house im in at the moment im renting & we moved in around August 2008 the house was warm & friendly & the first few months you would get `taps & bangs` what didnt help was that a friend of ours said that her friend lives on the same road & that either the house we are in or on our road a suicide had been commited.

Now we havent heard anything or really seen anything but we do get a `feeling` on the stairs & ive said to my fiancee if a suicide did take place in the house then i think someone hung themselves from the stairs...& the month would be September.....its strange as the first few septembers we lived there I would hear movement & taps & bangs from the stairway & I on a few occasions felt as if someone was looking at me from the stairs when i went to check on my young son. But now there is nothing, this September came & went & nothing, so it seems the entity or feeling has sort of dissipitated.

I must admit last year I did see corner of the eye stuff, once at the bottom of the stairs when i was sat down watching t.v. (it was a pair of legs but stockinged legs & dark) this freaked me out & i did (sat in the same position) see a movement on the other side of the sofa which reminded me of a small child walking.

I would like to look at the history of the house in one respect but in another would probably leave it, too scared of what i may find i suppose.

It's true it would depend entirely on exactly what was doing the haunting...the presence in our house has never bothered us-apart from making us jump every so often-which i take as more of a reminder that they're still here. However something, (not sure if its the same thing) worried my 6ft+ squaddie son-in-law so much that he refrains from going downstairs on his own (to the room they generally stay in). Daughter is a little more prosaic but still prefers to sleep upstairs.
It would have to be something pretty malicious/horrifying i reckon before a change in residence was called for.

Jac 21, same here, we dont feel threatened or worried, but it was the `feeling of being watched` & the little noises that did at first concern us. But as stated these have gradually died down (pardon the pun) & if we had the option to buy the property then yes we would as the general house & feel is nice.

I cant say for sure the `corner` of the eye stuff is real or not ive had a `few of these over the years in different properties` the only thing is what makes you suddenly turn your head, convinced something is there!!!!

well a few of the properties i've lived in over the years have been already occupied when i moved into them, and tho at first it keeps you on your toes a bit, i find you just tend to get used to it whatever form it takes. Saying that tho there was one property that i literally couldnt wait to get out of-was i ever glad to see the back of that place, but by and large once you've got used to random noises/shadows/footsteps etc then it doesnt bother me much and the kids seem to take it in their stride. 8)

Back