• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wrist Watches Cause Loss Of Strength

If you're using a traditional computing device that boot-starts into an operating system (so, Windows/MacOS/Linux etc) this will have a classic internal Real Time Clock with a backup battery, all in support of the pre-boot BIOS. The operating system itself will then give you the option (or apply a default) to rely upon that time reference, or to take it from the internet, again influenced by regional timezone settings that will have been applied when it was first awoken within your locale.
I had an unexpected clock problem yesterday. As the forecast was good, I decided to have a day out. But as I hadn't used my camera for maybe three weeks, I thought I'd put it on charge first. But when it was time to leave home the camera was still charging. Thinking it must be charged enough, I prepared to take it with me, until I discovered it had forgotten all its date/time information! So I put it back on charge, and left without it.

Back home later, it was a case of trying to reset the clock/calendar. In fact, I may never have done this before - it may have been done in the shop when I bought it. But eventually I cracked it, with the help of the Nikon Quick Start Guide. At least my future photos should have the correct time/date on them.

(It's set to GMT now, and I'll leave it that way all year - it's simpler than changing it every spring and autumn. God's Mean Time is good enough for me!)

My left arm is stronger than my right arm so not sure about the loss of strength.
The inference (to me) from your watch being on your left arm is that you are right-handed (the agile hand moves to the focused task).

However, from a musculature development perspective, you sound as if you're left-handed.

To quote Derren....am I right? Or, why am I left with this conclusion? Please keep us right here.....

The inference (to me) from your watch being on your left arm is that you are right-handed (the agile hand moves to the focused task).

However, from a musculature development perspective, you sound as if you're left-handed.

To quote Derren....am I right? Or, why am I left with this conclusion? Please keep us right here.....
Yes I am right-handed . I can lift the same amount of weight with my right arm but it gets fatigued quicker than my left arm when doing a bicep curl with a dumbbell. If I picked up, say a 17kg dumbbell now my right arm would fail at about 8 reps and my left at about 10 reps.
Going back to dip/dent on my left wrist, i left my wristwatch off last night to see if the dip dissapeared but it's still there this morning.

I took a decision just over two years ago to stop wearing a watch (on my right hand, I'm left handed). I've worn one only once or twice since, but only the merest impression of a watch remains in a small piece of dry skin under watch 'body' area and a slight impression in hair growth on my wrist. Otherwise not a dent remains.

It took about a year for the skin to colour, removing the slight pale patch

No mysterious reason, but I figured that with the time being on every piece of electronics in the house, my PC, my work PC, the car and my smart phone, a watch was superfluous, unless worn as jewelry.

Yep same here - I stopped wearing a watch when I started carrying a mobile round all the time.

Strange clock issue - my PS3 has suddenly started asking me to set the date and time every time I switch it on. I've had if for years and it only started doing it this week.

It's set to update automatically from the internet, so I've got no idea what's happening there.

Strange clock issue - my PS3 has suddenly started asking me to set the date and time every time I switch it on. I've had if for years and it only started doing it this week.
I suspect it's just like a desktop computer and has a little battery in it to keep time when disconnected from the network.
If you open up the case, there's probably a disc-shaped battery on the motherboard (on the left in the pic):
40GB-MOBO.jpg

When I wore a watch I always wore it on my right hand (am right handed). People thought it was odd but that was what I'd done from childhood. Then I realised my mum was left handed and she probably put my first ever watch on, for me! That said, I must have the left hand gene and am pretty ambidextrous in many things (can't write or draw left handed but I can paint a wall with either hand, and eat with the knives and forks reversed, a lot... I also do a craft and for years did it lefthanded, without realising...)

I'm 'mostly' left handed, so for small small sorts, squash, cricket, I bat/throw with my left hand. Fro shooting, guns or bows, I shoot as a right hander, which suggests my master eye is my right. However, I've also shot off the left shoulder (well) and played squash right handed when playing someone so much weaker than me, it was a fair way to give us both a game (which backfired on me when the b-i-l went around bragging he'd 'thrashed' me so I was obliged to play a re-match left handed...)

I can write tolerably well right handed, although I have to think about it.

The brother wrote left handed, but so so badly, and did everything else right handed, I always assumed he'd copied my mother and myself who are natural lefties and never changed.

In the late 80s, I discovered from a book at the Sarnia Public Library, in Ontario, claims that these things cause weakness:

- The color pink ('real' pink, which excludes some shade of pink or something)
- Digital watch
- One type, but (perhaps) not another type, of smoke detector. The book also quoted someone who described headaches or some other effect that vanished once the smoke detector was removed.

I don't recall the name of the book, but would be great to find again! Does anyone know, or can anyone find out?

A simple experiment was shown in the book:
- one holds up their arm horizontally, with a digital watch on
- another tries to push down that arm
- experiment is repeated without the watch on

Result: with the digital watch on, the arm is easily pushed down, whereas without the watch on the person is able to resist the downward force.

I think I saw somewhere a video showing the effect, but can't recall.

This issue needs serious study. I can't find any Youtube video demonstrating the effect, so if someone wants the challenge...

Lately, another weakness effect was studied: men's cognitive impairment when seeing or thinking about a (pretty) woman.
See for yourself: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ng-with-woman-leave-man-cognitively-impaired/

That last one can lead to untold troubles. Add beer goggles, and I'm toast.

Back