• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cannabis Is Good For You

An interesting enough pro marijuana book to read is 'The Emperor Wears No Clothes' ... the book's a few decades old and details points like most Bibles and national flags were created out of hemp, farmers in the UK used to fined if they didn't grow enough of the stuff .. partly because it was so useful for making ropes for the shipping industry .. and that the variation (as our previous poster has written) that gets you high is now only illegal because it could harm the enormous medicine company's profits these days .. Queen Victoria used to smoke weed to alleviate menstrual cramp pain ..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Emperor-Wears-No-Clothes-Hemp-Marijuana-Conspiracy/0952456001/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1491205093&sr=1-3&keywords=the emperor wears no clothes jack herer

... if you smoke too much and too often though ? .. expect this to happen to you ..

Last edited:
Back in 1950 it was considered to be a potentially dangerous weed. Thus the weed killer. I realize it was a few years before the weed became enhanced. I had an elderly neighbor who smoked the old "hemp" with the blessings of her doctor. As far as I know it wasn't outlawed at that time. But it had a certain potency or it would not have been used medically.

Back in 1950 it was considered to be a potentially dangerous weed. Thus the weed killer. I realize it was a few years before the weed became enhanced. I had an elderly neighbor who smoked the old "hemp" with the blessings of her doctor. As far as I know it wasn't outlawed at that time. But it had a certain potency or it would not have been used medically.

Street marijuana used to be killer weed. To enhance profits dealers would cut it with other plants. A common one was jimson weed, AKA loco weed. Jimson weed is toxic to livestock and hallucinagenic/toxic to humans. Since it has become mainstream dealers no longer add other material to it.

I recently re-watched (is that a verb? if so it's an inelegant one - apologies) this BBC doc on the changing legal status of 'legal highs' and specifically some iffy geezers in Portsmouth who'd been making money hand over fist supplying (it could hardly be called 'pushing', in all fairness) same to local psychonauts of all ages. It's a wee bit depressing, but engaging viewing for all that:

Confession time: I haven't touched any drugs apart from the legal (taxed! Right kids!?) ones for nearly a decade - not that anybody should find that interesting - except for...

(i) a very pleasant 'jazz cigarette' at a sort of work-related dinner party do (all a bit middle-class and therefore harmless, of course)

and (ii) when I befriended the bar and kitchen staff at a hotel I was staying at in a down-at-heel English coastal town and accepted their kind offer to have a quick smoke with them. And that was the end of my night, and in a way a good thing as I needed to get up early the next day.

I now suspect this might have been one of these tricky Legal High jobs...I don't think it was skunk but something more new-fangled. Whatever it was, they were used to it and I wasn't. Having made my excuses as I was beginning to feel intensely paranoid I set off for my room...which took at least two hours as I spent what seemed like an eternity transfixed by a nightmarish lamprey-like creature (real: took a photo of the bastard) in a fish tank by the stairs and then once briefly able to walk couldn't remember where my room was and passed what felt like days on end lying on a landing completely unable to move with no sense of time* or why I was there, or exactly who I was. Very strange.

So I didn't do that again.

* Edit: I realise the impression of this being agonizingly drawn-out but having no sense of time is a contradiction, but that's how it was.

Last edited:
I recently re-watched (is that a verb? if so it's an inelegant one - apologies) this BBC doc on the changing legal status of 'legal highs' and specifically some iffy geezers in Portsmouth who'd been making money hand over fist supplying (it could hardly be called 'pushing', in all fairness) same to local psychonauts of all ages. It's a wee bit depressing, but engaging viewing for all that:

Confession time: I haven't touched any drugs apart from the legal (taxed! Right kids!?) ones for nearly a decade - not that anybody should find that interesting - except for...

(i) a very pleasant 'jazz cigarette' at a sort of work-related dinner party do (all a bit middle-class and therefore harmless, of course)

and (ii) when I befriended the bar and kitchen staff at a hotel I was staying at in a down-at-heel English coastal town and accepted their kind offer to have a quick smoke with them. And that was the end of my night, and in a way a good thing as I needed to get up early the next day.

I now suspect this might have been one of these tricky Legal High jobs...I don't think it was skunk but something more new-fangled. Whatever it was, they were used to it and I wasn't. Having made my excuses as I was beginning to feel intensely paranoid I set off for my room...which took at least two hours as I spent what seemed like an eternity transfixed by a nightmarish lamprey-like creature (real: took a photo of the bastard) in a fish tank by the stairs and then once briefly able to walk couldn't remember where my room was and passed what felt like days on end lying on a landing completely unable to move with no sense of time* or why I was there, or exactly who I was. Very strange.

So I didn't do that again.

* Edit: I realise the impression of this being agonizingly drawn-out but having no sense of time is a contradiction, but that's how it was.

Legal highs are horrible and cause some major problems with people. Not only do you get an extreme elevation in Heart Rate but also horribly raised CK levels. Basically it causes your muscle in your body to consume itself.

The psychological presentation is also weird. Not happy trips just angry-messed up people.

Legal highs are horrible and cause some major problems with people. Not only do you get an extreme elevation in Heart Rate but also horribly raised CK levels. Basically it causes your muscle in your body to consume itself.

What's CK?

Tell people they can't have something because it's bad for them and they'll move Hell and High water to get it. They'll also figure a million ways that it is actually "good for you".

Tell people they can't have something because it's bad for them and they'll move Hell and High water to get it. They'll also figure a million ways that it is actually "good for you".
Well it didn't do this bloke any harm Brig! :rofl: .. old welsh fella, grows the world's biggest swede, gets a personal back stage invitation from rapper Snoop Dogg and tries a spliff .. as you do ..

.. Snoop's always had a good sense of humour, here he is being Snoop Froggy Frog .. the daft sod .. *ribbit*

Last edited:
That's not Snoop - that's Nine doing both parts. Love that track :clap:

That's not Snoop - that's Nine doing both parts. Love that track :clap:
:) .. and I used to own that on vinyl ... so what was the Froggy Frog thing all about then ? .. a shout out to Snoop Doggy Dog ? ..

Dunno mate! Until about six months ago I thought he was a real MC.

Dunno mate! Until about six months ago I thought he was a real MC.
You probably knew this but I've just discovered Nine's tune was partly based on George Clinton's 'Atomic Dog' ! .. (every day's a school day) .. check this ! ... and can people stop dropping hot rocks on my carpet ..

Last edited:
You lost me some ways back.
That's probably a good thing Brig .. I've learned that drugs are crap anyway. :rolleyes: .. as my penance, I've had to spend most of the last two years calling ambulances and police out because of kids in immediate danger in our area through my job now I'm middle aged..

No Rynner .. NO! .. it's 'cake' ... a drug that's still destroying our youth on a daily basis mate ! .. (;))

'Ted maul reporting' on that. Where is our Ted Maul these days?

At face value, this seems counter-intuitive, but ...

Marijuana's Mind-Altering Compound May Improve Memory

Marijuana's main psychoactive compound, THC, may improve memory, according to a new study in mice.

However, more research is needed to see whether these findings would apply to people, the researchers said.

The researchers found that old mice in the study experienced "a dramatic improvement in cognitive functions" after the animals were given small daily doses of THC for about a month, said study co-author Andreas Zimmer, a professor of molecular psychiatry at the University of Bonn in Germany. ...

Previous research in people — in teens and young adults — as well as in young animals has suggested that THC may actually impair cognition, but it was not clear how the compound might affect the aging brain in older individuals. ...

FULL STORY: http://www.livescience.com/59010-marijuana-compound-thc-may-improve-memory.html

Are you saying that it is an evil act then? Sounds pretty nineteen thirtyish.
Nope, just that it shouldn't be over used like anything in life. I used to smoke an eighth a day, it just turns your brain to jelly at that point ..

Another (merely ... ) suggestive study - this time relating to Restless Legs Syndrome (discomfort, pain, cramps in the legs in bed at night ... ). This report doesn't clearly indicate whether the patients' other RLS medications were still being used during the study. This leaves me wondering whether the face-value helpful results may have derived as much from withdrawal or multi-drug interaction effects as from the cannabis specifically.

Smoking Out Sleep Problems: Pot May Fight Restless Legs Syndrome

Marijuana may help relieve the symptoms of restless legs syndrome, a very small report from France suggests.

People with restless legs syndrome (RLS) experience unpleasant and often painful sensations in their legs, and feel an irresistible urge to move their legs when resting, according to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. The severity of these symptoms often increases when a person is asleep, which then leads to problems falling and staying asleep, according to the institute.

Although the new report suggests that marijuana helped relieve the symptoms of the disorder in six people, more research is needed to examine marijuana's efficacy and safety for reducing symptoms of restless legs syndrome ...

The people in the report had severe RLS, and all had told their doctors that the medications they took for the disorder had not been very effective or caused unpleasant side effects. ...

In the new report, five of the patients reported that their symptoms were completely relieved after they smoked marijuana. One patient reported that his symptoms were completely relieved after he used the marijuana compound cannabidiol. All of the people said that their sleep quality improved significantly after they smoked marijuana or consumed cannabidiol.

The results show that "cannabis was the most tolerated and efficacious drug compared to previous RLS-specific medications the patients have already tried," Ghorayeb told Live Science. "Although I do not recommend the systematic use of cannabis, I would not go against patients with severe and refractory RLS who admit cannabis use."

It is not completely clear why marijuana would help relieve RLS symptoms, but the effect may have something to do with the drug's pain-relief properties ... Moreover, marijuana may relieve anxiety and make users sleepy, which may enhance the perceived pain relief the drug brings, Ghorayeb said.

However, the case report had limitations, the researchers noted. For example, it relied on the people's subjective evaluations of marijuana's benefits, and the drug's psychoactive properties may have skewed their conclusions, the researchers said. In other words, these properties may have affected the way the people perceived how the drug really affected their symptoms.

"Robust clinical trials are required to test the adequate profile of the effectiveness and safety of cannabinoids in RLS," the researchers wrote in the report, published in May in the journal Sleep Medicine.

SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/59464-marijuana-may-fight-restless-legs-syndrome.html

Another (merely ... ) suggestive study - this time relating to Restless Legs Syndrome (discomfort, pain, cramps in the legs in bed at night ... ). This report doesn't clearly indicate whether the patients' other RLS medications were still being used during the study. This leaves me wondering whether the face-value helpful results may have derived as much from withdrawal or multi-drug interaction effects as from the cannabis specifically.

SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/59464-marijuana-may-fight-restless-legs-syndrome.html
"may" (again)

Back