• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The follow up to Skyline! Exciting!

It didn't have much of a script and didn't tax the brain, but for CGI and SFX it was enjoyable.

Here's an exciting obscurity starring Joe Turkel of Blade Runner and the Shining fame, Six Hundred and Sixty Six:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480849/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_21
A group of people inside an underground complex which possesses high tech computers which tracks world events consider all options as nuclear war is at hand,air supplies may last only eight days and Biblical prophesy unfolds.

Where is Hitch-hiker's Guide ffs?
Blacke's 7 and Hitchhikers are definitely omissions - could easily have slotted one of those in instead of Danger Man.

The website listing the themes laid down some "ground rules" of which the third was "Original compositions only!"

HHGTTG thus does not qualify, as shown here:
I've got the sheet music to this sat around somewhere, definitely needs a synth treatment at some point...

Personally I'd rather see it on the big screen - if done properly it would look awesome on an IMAX screen.
On the other hand, feature film running time compresses novel plots horrendously, whereas a few hours of TV can fit in everything that works on screen, accepting the fact that prose and television are different art forms and some things are better for one than the other.

On the other hand, feature film running time compresses novel plots horrendously, whereas a few hours of TV can fit in everything that works on screen, accepting the fact that prose and television are different art forms and some things are better for one than the other.
True. I felt that the Dune series really did a lot in that direction. The film was great, but it was far too much crammed into one film. If they're going to do Ringworld, I hope they spend the bucks on it.

Kip Thorne has won the 2017 Nobel Prize for Physics. Heres a Q&A regarding his influence on Interstellar.

Q&A: Space-time visionary
(13 November 2014) doi:10.1038/515196a
Published online 12 November 2014

Thanks to theoretical physicist Kip Thorne, real science is embedded in Christopher Nolan's film Interstellar, in which explorers seek a new home for humankind. Thorne talks about what he learned from the film's unprecedented visualizations of black holes and wormholes, what it and his accompanying book can teach, and the likelihood of humans escaping the Solar System.

Interstellar
Directed by Christopher Nolan Warner Brothers: 2014.

How did Interstellar come about?

I have long worked on black holes and, since the 1980s, wormholes — hypothetical tunnels in space that link distant regions of the Universe. About eight years ago, I and my friend Lynda Obst, a film producer, came up with a movie set on the 'warped side of the Universe' — black holes, wormholes, higher dimensions and beyond. It interested director Steven Spielberg, who brought in Jonathan 'Jonah' Nolan to write the screenplay. Steven dropped out and later Jonah's brother Christopher Nolan took over as director and final screenwriter. Chris and Jonah changed our story almost completely, but preserved the warped space-time and splendidly fulfilled our vision of a science-fiction movie with real science woven deeply in its fabric. In it, nothing violates well-established physical laws and all the wild speculations spring from science, not just the fertile mind of a screenwriter.

How hands-on were you during development?

I met with Jonah and Chris every few weeks as they crafted the screenplay, brainstorming about the science. I worked on the visualization of black holes and wormholes with Oscar-winner Paul Franklin and his team at Double Negative Visual Effects in London.

Black holes do not emit light, so you visualize them through gravitational lensing — how they bend light from other objects. I took equations based on Einstein's general theory of relativity and created a description of a wormhole with three parameters: diameter, interior length and the degree of flare where the wormhole joins the external Universe. Paul's team used my equations to compute what a camera would see through the wormhole; Chris, perusing the images, chose the parameter values for Interstellar's wormhole. ...

https://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v515/n7526/full/515196a.html?WT.mc_id=TWT_NatureNews

For fans of the Christopher R Mihm movies, his latest - "Demon With The Atomic Brain" gets its release on 4 October 2017. Really love the work of Mister Mihm, they're the best tributes to the schlocky b grade movies of the Fifties...

'Transcendence'. Anyone ?

INT21

Not now, I have a headache...

i am surprised there is a sequel, i thought i was the only person in the entire world who rather enjoyed skyline, it seems universally hated.

Nope. I really enjoyed it too. I'm looking forward to watching the sequel.

Neil Blomkamp's latest:
The Adam demo is a real-time-rendered short film created with the Unity engine by our demo team. It runs at 1440p on a GeForce GTX980. Download the demo & the assets:

Some good stuff in the works.

WHY SCI-FI NOVELS ARE THE NEW COMIC BOOKS FOR STREAMING TV

YOU ALREADY GET a Star Wars movie every year. Star Trek is coming at you from at least two directions. A good chunk of the Marvel movies are basically space opera. Bigscreen fascination with science fiction and fantasy is nothing new—but now you can add the many flavors of TV network, from legacy broadcast to basic cable to streamers. Forget comic books; somehow, SF/F novels have become Hollywood’s hottest IP.

Some highlights of what may be on its way: Amazon is making Neal Stephenson’s Snow Crash and Larry Niven’s Ringworld, and a show based on Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens is in production. Universal is doingHugh Howey’s Sand, Maggie Stiefvater’s Raven series, Kurt Vonnegut Jr.’s Sirens of Titan (with Community genius Dan Harmon at the helm), and Roger Zelazny’s Lord of Light, a.k.a. the movie that the CIA pretended to be making when they rescued American diplomats from Iran—a story that was itself the basis for the movie Argo. Done yet? Nope! HBO is making Nnedi Okorafor’s Who Fears Death? Netflix ismaking JG Ballard’s Hello America and Daniel Suarez’s Change Agent. And Lionsgate is making Patrick Rothfuss’ Kingkiller Chronicle series. ..

https://www.wired.com/story/streaming-tv-sci-fi-gold-rush?mbid=social_twitter

Vonnegut and Harmon sounds like an appetising combination...

Just in the middle of Watching Children of Men which I've not seen for years.

My god this film is pretty close to mirroring our present world.

Getting rid of the refugees "fugees".

Keep Britain for the British slogans.

Bombings becoming a regular fixture.

Tooled up Police wandering around London

It's actually alarming to see how close we are to this Dystopia and probably the first SF film I can think of that accurately portrayed the future, (lack of children aside).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_Men

Last edited:
Neil Blomkamp's latest:
The Adam demo is a real-time-rendered short film created with the Unity engine by our demo team. It runs at 1440p on a GeForce GTX980. Download the demo & the assets:

I have a better AMD card so will give it a go.

Last edited:
Amazing quality for something rendered real-time.

Just in the middle of Watching Children of Men which I've not seen for years.

My good this film is pretty close to mirroring our present world.

Getting rid of the refugees "fugees".

Keep Britain for the British slogans.

Bombings becoming a regular fixture.

Tooled up Police wandering around London

It's actually alarming to see how close we are to this Dystopia and probably the first SF film I can think of that accurately portrayed the future, (lack of children aside).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_Men

I'll be OK, I live near Bexhill.

Citizens of a Central Asian republic have discovered that they share a name with alien invaders in an upcoming Japanese science fiction film, and are taking the news remarkably well.

The Japanese film Brave Storm, set to be released in November, is not likely to break new ground in the "giant robots battling each other while a city is destroyed around them" genre. But it has attracted attention in Kyrgyzstan after it emerged there that the bad guys are called the "Kyrgyz", Kaktus Media reports.

The plot, which appears to borrow elements from The Terminator and Pacific Rim franchises, revolves around the last survivors of the human race travelling back in time from 2050 to build combat robots to fight the invading Kyrgyz alien race.

Although it is unclear why the film's villains have been named as such, social media users in Kyrgyzstan have received the news with good humour. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-41759469

Back