• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
No, that was Body Melt, which also has someone else from Neighbours in it, the girl who presented Parallel 9 on the BBC, whatever her name was... Sarah something?

Let's not forget Tony from EastEnders was cut in half in Hardware and Angie from EastEnders was murdered by a serial killer in Beyond Bedlam.
And Rocky from Lovejoy who fought that vampire motorcycle and Daviana Mcall who turned into a zombie in Dead Set .. and whatshiface who was in Auf Wiedersehen Pet who was the star of Dream Demon .. Timothy Spall .. that's him .. and Rick Mayall in The Slaughtered Lamb in An American Werewolf In London ..

And Rocky from Lovejoy who fought that vampire motorcycle and Daviana Mcall who turned into a zombie in Dead Set .. and whatshiface who was in Auf Wiedersehen Pet who was the star of Dream Demon .. Timothy Spall .. that's him .. and Rick Mayall in The Slaughtered Lamb in An American Werewolf In London ..

The best one is George from George and Mildred is one of the torturers in The Devils.

Have you seen The Lodgers, Ramon (or anyone else)? Spooky Irish ghost story, sort of like The Others with an incest theme, and filmed in one of the most haunted houses in Ireland. Recommended, it's satisfyingly weird and creepy.

Have you seen The Lodgers, Ramon (or anyone else)? Spooky Irish ghost story, sort of like The Others with an incest theme, and filmed in one of the most haunted houses in Ireland. Recommended, it's satisfyingly weird and creepy.

Yeah, I liked it. my review:

The Lodgers: Gothic Irish Horror set in a decaying mansion in 1920. Twins Rachel (Charlotte Vega) and Edward (Bill Milner) live alone in this crumbling manor, their parents having committed suicide four years before. Strange entities also dwell in the house and force the twins to follow three rules: they have to be in bed by midnight, no stranger may be admitted to the house, if one of them flees then the life of the other is forfeit.

Now they are eighteen and Rachel falls for Seán (Eugene Simon) who has just returned to the local village having lost a leg in WW1.Seán and Rachel are tormented by local yokels who resent his service in the British Army and her ascendency background. But Rachel and Edward are very much in reduced circumstances having to get food on credit from a local shop. A creepy solicitor (David Bradley) arrives and tells them that the house must be sold.

The film is perhaps an allegory for the fall of British Rule in Ireland, the manor crumbling like the old institutions, the Anglo-Irish being lodgers but the locals also being lodgers in their own land which they still don't rule. The director (Brian O'Malley and screenwriter (David Turpin, a real life Goth) confirmed this in a Q&A session after the film screening. But in spite of any allegories it is very much a horror film.

The twins parents drowned themselves in a lake as did their grandparents and generations before them to atone for some original sin. The question now is whether or not Rachel and Edward will escape the fate which seems to be predestined for them. Ghostly naked figures appear in the mansion, water seeps upwards through a trapdoor to the basement where the entities dwell.Some great scenes of terror as waterbound creatures drag people down and existential terror is expressed through shadows and filtered light in a forest. 8 /10.

Reactions: Jim
Thanks for the review! Pretty much my assessment, liked the allegorical business but also that they didn't allow it to take the place of the mysterious goings-on. Plus I liked that the mysteries stayed mysterious as the end credits rolled (who - or what - was under the trapdoor?).

I started watching a new English horror film last night called Ghost Stories .. I'm only half way through so far, it includes Martin Freeman and comedian Paul Whitehouse as a jaded night watchman (jaded because of a haunted location job), it looks to be low budget .. to be honest I became a bit bored as I'd got half way through the film (hoping it would be a Creepshow style anthology short episodes affair) before I saw a creepy ghost .. it does have a lot of atmosphere though and starts with a bloke who's made it his life work to debunk spiritualists and the paranormal in general .. the way the story's going, I'm expecting he's going to be proven wrong ... or they're going to pull a Bruce Willis and he's going to be the ghost ? ..

The spirits of their parents and their grandparents etc?

Yeah, but why they ended up the way they did was unclear to me.

Have you been to the haunted house used in the film? Sounds like a good candidate for Titch to investigate, if he ever holidays across the Irish Sea.

Yeah, but why they ended up the way they did was unclear to me.

Have you been to the haunted house used in the film? Sounds like a good candidate for Titch to investigate, if he ever holidays across the Irish Sea.

Haven't been to The House.

Well it is a supernatural film so I presume there was a curse on the family, generally how these things are explained. And why were they cursed? Because of the incest. All a bit circular I know but these Curse/Ghost films tend to be that way.

I started watching a new English horror film last night called Ghost Stories .. I'm only half way through so far, it includes Martin Freeman and comedian Paul Whitehouse as a jaded night watchman (jaded because of a haunted location job), it looks to be low budget .. to be honest I became a bit bored as I'd got half way through the film (hoping it would be a Creepshow style anthology short episodes affair) before I saw a creepy ghost .. it does have a lot of atmosphere though and starts with a bloke who's made it his life work to debunk spiritualists and the paranormal in general .. the way the story's going, I'm expecting he's going to be proven wrong ... or they're going to pull a Bruce Willis and he's going to be the ghost ? ..

How did you miss me banging on about this?! I saw it at the cinema and LOVED it.

I liked it better than Hereditary. And in fact better than most horrors I've seen for years.

Where are you watching it?

I think for a 32 year old Glaswegian comedian Kevin Bridges was a complete revelation playing a 13 year old American girl in Hereditary.
36284739_10157481533198572_2499369794575269888_n.jpg

36376237_10157481535268572_7925244650112155648_n.jpg

Did you carry on with Ghost Stories, Swifty?

Triangle was on the Horror Channel last night so I watched it again. It really is excellent.

Courtesy of the New Wave of Russian horror comes Mermaid: Lake of the Dead.Interestingly, this trailer seems to have been dubbed into English (well, American) - which is a rare situation.

This is from the makers of Queen of Spades and The Bride from the last few years. (The latter, I believe is getting the dubious honour of be given a Hollywood remake). Both were impressive but, ultimately overblown I thought. Russian horror tends towards mythic dark fantasy - and it all gets very grand guignol. They could do with applying the `less is more` principle - but that's just my own taste.

It's already being described as `Shape of Water` meets `The Ring` (Haven's seen either). Anyway the promo poster is a work of art in its own right:
Rusalka.jpg

Anyhoo it comes out here mid-next week, and your Russia correpondent here will be first in the queue.

Back