• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I thought it was a load of bollocks. Didn't live up to the hype or manage to scare me at all. What ever happened to subtlety? Nowadays films have to hit you over the head with 'shock moments'. Some of them were well done I accept but they didn't add up to a satisfactory film.

It's in the same ball park as Rosemary's Baby but that's a much better film imo - much more creepy. It doesn't have the same dramatic moments but it's the better for it. Hereditary looked good but that's a given these days - 4/10 for me. I got a bit restless & bored waiting for the next shock.

not in the same league as rosemarys baby ! not in a hundred million years

I had high hopes for Hereditary, these bad reviews are putting me off now, we'll have to find something else for Halloween I reckon.

me too, i typically wouldnt bother dissing a film, only when the hype hits BS avalanche level really cf. all the prometheuses, new blade runner etc ...

Don't Dis Horror.

The view that A Quiet Place is ‘elevated horror’ is a backhanded compliment, showing critics’ dismissive attitude toward scary films, writes Nicholas Barber.

After the short film A Still Sunrise debuted at the Cannes Film Festival in May, its lead actor, Jamie Lee-Hill, sent a tweet about it, appending the hashtag ‘#elevatedhorror’. “Why use that particular term?” someone asked in response. Lee-Hill replied: “Because it’s actually an intelligent drama with symbolism within the film.”

They hate horror so much they have to frame its hits as something else – Anne Billson

Did Lee-Hill mean that standard horror movies aren’t intelligent dramas and that they don’t have symbolism within them? If so, he was asking to be hunted down by a zombie-like pack of vengeful horror fans. But he isn’t alone in drawing a distinction between ‘horror’ and so-called ‘elevated horror’. John Krasinski, the co-writer and director of A Quiet Place, told an interviewer that his own terrifying hit wasn’t inspired by horror movies, per se, but by “these amazing, elevated horror movies”, by which he meant the recent run of films that have garnered a lot more critical acclaim than monster movies usually do.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20...isrespected-genre?ocid=ww.social.link.twitter

i never let bad reviews sway me from seeing a movie, but ive been sucked into watching stinkers by glowing praise too many times

But Hereditary is not a stinker. Truly great from the opening scenes of mundane domesticity to the triumphal occult ending with an aptly chosen version of Both Sides now sung by Judy Collins playing over the end credits.

dont know about you but i find

birds flying into closed windows, out of place insects, insects coming out of characters mouths, demonic entities in upper corners of bedrooms, same entities skittering along walls, token occult symbolism, the good spell was actually a bad spell, wait the family friends/neighbours were part of a coven ! small animal mutilation, etc

a tad deriv

4/10 must try harder, see me after school

dont know about you but i find

birds flying into closed windows, out of place insects, insects coming out of characters mouths, demonic entities in upper corners of bedrooms, same entities skittering along walls, token occult symbolism, the good spell was actually a bad spell, wait the family friends/neighbours were part of a coven ! small animal mutilation, etc

a tad deriv

4/10 must try harder, see me after school

Nothing token or derivative about any of that.

It's like saying that the use of guns in a gangster film is derivative or that having a Vampire in a Vampire film is uninspired.

if the gangster movie was endless scenes of guns being loaded drawn and fired, filmed the same way as every other gangster movie of the past decade ... or the vampire movie was a vampire biting necks and flicking off bats, running from the dawn depicted as per every other vampire movie ... then yes

i love horror movies, being more than 25 years without a tv i see every movie i possibly can, particularly late night horror slots ... obviously the bulk are b-movie grade, which is fine ... but dont try and tell me this is any different !

if the gangster movie was endless scenes of guns being loaded drawn and fired, filmed the same way as every other gangster movie of the past decade ... or the vampire movie was a vampire biting necks and flicking off bats, running from the dawn depicted as per every other vampire movie ... then yes

i love horror movies, being more than 25 years without a tv i see every movie i possibly can, particularly late night horror slots ... obviously the bulk are b-movie grade, which is fine ... but dont try and tell me this is any different !

But it is different. Hereditary isn't like any other horror film, its develops a new synthesis of horror tropes and themes.

i wish it did, man ... i wish it did ... but i call a crock a crock

i might stretch to a 5 for the
decapitation aftermath
scene

Some reviews:

What I will say is that a meta-mystery lurks here—how it is that this horror flick can be so shocking and dismaying, so genuinely upsetting in spasms and spurts, yet at the same time so madly entertaining.

One answer is elegance. At the ripe young age of 31, Mr. Aster brings impeccable technique and perfectly calibrated tone to his writing and direction. The e-word applies as well to Grace Yun’s production design, Pawel Pogorzelski’s cinematography, Colin Stetson’s music, and the editing by Lucian Johnston and Jennifer Lame.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hereditary-review-fine-tuned-terror-1528401749

At one point in “Hereditary,” Ari Aster’s highly effective new horror movie, a character screams “Get out!” It’s not yet clear what she means — or who, exactly, she’s addressing — but the line is both a pretty good jolt and a clever meta-joke.

Invoking the title of the movie that set a new standard for commercial success, cultural prestige and societal relevance in an often-underestimated genre may be a way of acknowledging the raised expectations of the audience. What “Hereditary” shares with “Get Out” — apart from a house full of white people behaving strangely — is an ambitious energy, a sense that the creaky old machinery of horror can be adapted to new and exciting uses.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/movies/hereditary-review-toni-collette.html?referrer=google_kp

TOMATOMETER
91%
Average Rating: 8.4/10
Reviews Counted: 207

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hereditary/

A raw horror masterpiece from a first-time director that deserves to be mentioned in the same frantic breath as the genre’s greats. Even the most jaded viewer should find something in Hereditary to disturb and distress them.
★★★★★
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/hereditary/review/

The singularly most terrifying horror film in years
A film not here to play back your own worst nightmare in front of your eyes, but to render a feature-length iteration of the paranormal experience
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...dance-london-film-festival-2018-a8374456.html

After a climax demented enough to straddle the border between the spine-tingling and the comical, a cover of Joni Mitchell’s wistful Both Sides Now serenades the closing credits.

Being a 30-year-old American, writer and first-time feature director Ari Aster is excused his ignorance of UK novelty hits from almost 40 years ago. After this precociously masterful debut, he could be forgiven almost anything short of genocide.
Our rating: ★★★★★

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/londo...ever-see-but-you-wont-forget-it-a3863801.html

How freaky is Hereditary, the “scariest film since The Exorcist?” Imagine if Rosemary’s Baby had a baby with baby Gage from Pet Sematary and it climbed to the top of Jacob’s Ladder and fell down with a grotesque splat.

Prepare yourself for a discombobulating study of grief that goes beyond the conventional seven stages to take in another hundred-thousand or so, ranging between psychiatric meltdown, demonic possession, sporadic pyromania and roaring-crying.

Seriously, if Toni Collette doesn’t get an Oscar nomination for her standout performance then horror fans should – in the spirit of the medium – advance on the Academy with torches ablaze and pitchforks at the ready.

Haters will tell you that Hereditary, the fantastically adept feature debut from Ari Aster, is “not really a horror film”. As with Get Out and the criminally-underrated It Comes at Night, this is woke or art-horror.

Rating: 5 ★★★★★

What “Hereditary” shares with “Get Out” — apart from a house full of white people behaving strangely — is an ambitious energy, a sense that the creaky old machinery of horror can be adapted to new and exciting uses.

All the reviews said Get Out was really good and a breath of fresh air for the genre but I thought it was very ordinary.

we double-billed deadpool 2 with get out saturday night ... i dont think ive seen a tighter scripted movie since chinatown

Get Out was a much better film than Hereditary imo. I just can't see what is so ground breaking about it or where it
develops a new synthesis of horror tropes and themes.

It's a 'haunting/demonic possession' story. Nothing very new there..& no particularly new angle on it. Overhyped.

Back