• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

I got a bit farther this time. In the capture of 18 July 2009, you can click on Forum and get a list of categories, one of which is Cheating the Ferryman, which has a list of topics. I am not sure which is the right one, presumably one of those with Time in its title, but it doesn't matter because none of the posts have been archived!

I got a bit farther this time. In the capture of 18 July 2009, you can click on Forum and get a list of categories, one of which is Cheating the Ferryman, which has a list of topics. I am not sure which is the right one, presumably one of those with Time in its title, but it doesn't matter because none of the posts have been archived!

Yes. So I see. Just the forum headers, sadly. If we had the actual URL of the original post we might stand a chance, but links on archived pages only go so far.

Yes. So I see. Just the forum headers, sadly. If we had the actual URL of the original post we might stand a chance, but links on archived pages only go so far.
Don't suppose we would have been much the wiser anyway -- never mind.

Another tale recovered from the IHTM archives...

Native American Brave on a Rural Highway

Date: Summer of 1985

Type: Type 3: A sharp realistic image that surrounds the witness. People in the image seem unaware of the witness's presence, and there is no physical contact with elements in the perceived environment.

Persons Involved: FTMB poster Keith Manies

Number of Persons Involved: 2 – Keith and the individual on horseback whom he claims to have encountered.

Interactions:
  • Visual – Change in Environmental Appearance and/or attire of persons in the vicinity.
  • AuditoryHearing a sudden change in the level of background noise in the area.

Source of Testimony: FTMB’s It Happened to Me forum: Indian Timeslip

The same account has also been included in Anita Holmes’ collection of Timeslip stories ‘Twiddlers’ – where it is named as ‘The Brave and the Buffalo’.

Description:

INDIAN TIME SLIP

Keith Manies

In the summer of 1985, I was working for the Kansas Dept. of Transportation doing traffic studies at the intersections of remote rural highways. It was a dull job, but it afforded me some time to read and earn some money for college.

One particular hot July afternoon, I found myself doing a traffic study overlooking the Smokey Hill river valley in west central Kansas. It had been a rather uneventful day. All of a sudden I heard a very high pitched noise akin to electonic feedback. My first reaction was to turn down the car radio, which I did to no avail. The irratating sound seemed to come from the back of the vehicle, so I got out to investigate.

As I walked down the road, a movement to my right caught my eye. I turned my head and to my utter amazement there coming down the highway embakement was an Indian on horse! Now this was not any modern day native American, but a real life snapshot of a Indian brave circa 1840. He was naked except for a leather loin cloth and a pair of mocasins. He was riding bareback without any conventional bridal, just a rope tied around the pony's head. In the Indian's right hand was an antique looking rifle and in the other the rope.

The sight took my breath away and all I could think of was saying "Hi!" The Indian did not respond to my excited greeting and totally ignored me as if I was not there. As the Indian approached the far side of the road, he stopped and intently scanned the river valley below. The Indian's stare made me turn to see what he was looking at. Down in the valley, again to my amazement, was a large heard of buffalo strung out for miles where there were none 2 minutes before. This sight made my head swim because the mighty herds of buffalo had been exterminated from Kansas over 100 years previous.

I caught my breath and turned back to observe the Indian and his horse, but there was nothing there! I ran over to where I had last seen the Indian and looked down the hill. There was no sign of the Indian and now no trace of the buffalo either. As the hot sun beat down on me, I slowly walked back to the car and noticed that the annoying sound was absent, too.

As I sat back down in the front seat of the car feeling somewhat light headed, I pondered I what I had just witnessed. Was it a ghost, an Indian spirit, or had I experienced a hole in time?

Notes:

In discussions on this forum it was theorised that given that he rode a horse and held a gun, if this was a timeslip, both these things could be indicative of a slip to a period after European contact. The logic behind that being that Horses were not native to North America and that the Gun definitely wasn’t.

Keith posted this thread in December 2002. He returned to it in March 2003 to add that he had done the following research into his experience:

I've done a litlle research on the type of rifle the indian in my time slip experience had in his hand. I believe it was an old smooth bore Mexican rifle from the early part of the 19th century. I've found out that before 1820 and the American invasion of the Great Plains states, rifles aquired in trade from the New Mexico area were the most common weapons of the indians in the region. I believe it was a flintlock, too.

I have also looked into what tribe this indian may have been from. It is hard to say, the indian was rather non-descript in his posessions. But the main tribes in that area of Kansas in the 1800 to 1820 period were the Cheyenne, Kiowa, and Arapaho.

A friend suggested he was from the famous Sioux tribe, but the Smokey Hill river is far south of their traditional hunting grounds.

Also, yes it was a very hot summer day when I had this experience. I doubt I was hallucinating being I experienced both a visual and audio event.

I have also learned that the bison I saw were very numerous in the that region of Kansas up until the 1870's when they were exterminated by commercial hunters. I hope this may have answered some the questions about my story.

Several posters have suggested the possibility of hallucination, both from the heat or from a carbon monoxide emissions from the car. Neither could be considered proven, but also neither could entirely be ruled out.

Last edited:
... Just the forum headers, sadly. If we had the actual URL of the original post we might stand a chance, but links on archived pages only go so far.

An FYI note ...

The Wayback Machine can capture and archive webpages that were at one time persistently 'there', but it cannot by definition capture any / all webpages that were assembled dynamically and served up to a viewer as a transient product.

Very generally speaking ... The only portion of a web forum that's persistently 'there' is its skeleton - e.g., the top-level forum listing page one sees upon initial entry.

The actual content is stored in a database behind the curtains. The Wayback Machine does not and can not crawl or archive the database itself.

There are rare exceptions - mainly involving old forum implementations that maintained at least partial sub-sections as persistent webpages. Over the last 3 decades forums have become increasingly 'ephemeral' in the sense of content being stored out of sight and presentations being assembled and served up temporarily.

An FYI note ...

The Wayback Machine can capture and archive webpages that were at one time persistently 'there', but it cannot by definition capture any / all webpages that were assembled dynamically and served up to a viewer as a transient product.

Very generally speaking ... The only portion of a web forum that's persistently 'there' is its skeleton - e.g., the top-level forum listing page one sees upon initial entry.

The actual content is stored in a database behind the curtains. The Wayback Machine does not and can not crawl or archive the database itself.

There are rare exceptions - mainly involving old forum implementations that maintained at least partial sub-sections as persistent webpages. Over the last 3 decades forums have become increasingly 'ephemeral' in the sense of content being stored out of sight and presentations being assembled and served up temporarily.
Thanks for that information. I must admit I always imagined that they did store all the info on the site, so that's a bit disappointing. On some sites (e.g. the old Timeslip8888 site which Naomi West recovered to start off her site), they did actually store all their original cases, and thank goodness they did or we wouldn't have known about the Leeds incident.

No, actually if we had the URL there's still every chance we could get at the original page in archived form. But navigating links on archived pages is a bit hit and miss.
I tried the complete URL and sure enough, the archive hadn't kept the record. The post was originally from 2013. I have tried searching for "pixeanne" in case the witness still uses that username, without success, so I don't see any other avenues of approach open to us.

It was interesting to read last year the small website of an aircraft modeller. He appears to have what some would call an eidetic memory( helped by a detailed diary) of events since the 1940's. Unfortunately his archived site has disappeared now but he recounted a handful of incidents in his life which appear to have been some form of timeslip in that events (largely mundane) which he experienced could not seemingly have fitted into the time which had actually elapsed. I wish I could recall his name but his accounts were fascinating.

Now that would have been very enjoyable to read :nods: Pity it seems to have been lost, at least in this timeline anyway.

the one you mentioned is one of the most famous examples of time-slips. i once saw one of the women involved being interviewed on channel 4 by jon ronson. she seemed genuine. but i have never understood why there weren't any complications with the money that changed hands, or that their modern car, parked in the lane outside, didn't cause comment. you would have thought that the "people from the past" at the hotel wouldn't have recognised the modern currency and would have refused it. there's another case of a man who went into a shop (somewhere in east anglia i think, tho' it's a while since i read it), which it later turned out hadn't been there for several decades. AGAIN money changed hands and STILL it didn't cause any comment. there are numerous examples like that from all over the world.

Maybe our brains only let's us see what we expect to see when we are in the middle of a time slip ---ie the inkeeper saw money from her time period

Maybe our brains only let's us see what we expect to see when we are in the middle of a time slip ---ie the inkeeper saw money from her time period
When I worked as a cashier I wasn't in a time slip, but I still ended up accepting a variety of foreign coins instead of the proper UK ones. I would say I more often accepted them automatically than spotted them during the interaction. Afterwards, when counting up, the difference was more noticeable.

I like this idea... fits in with something I read once about people not being capable of seeing things that they have no concept of (like modern technology to primitive natives). Can't remember if it's true or not but interesting concept I think.

When I worked as a cashier I wasn't in a time slip, but I still ended up accepting a variety of foreign coins instead of the proper UK ones. I would say I more often accepted them automatically than spotted them during the interaction. Afterwards, when counting up, the difference was more noticeable.

That's a good point, so the coins may have gone un-noticed until later on, after the time slip had ended..?

I'm too young to remember shillings :p but as someone who loves old films and programmes from the 50s and 60s I will admit to wishing we still had that currency now instead of decimalisation. It looks so much more interesting, somehow.
Pricing things in guineas if they were slightly better quality, etc. :)

That's pretty much what our brains do. What we expect to see and/or hope to see influence the interpretation of the data from our eyes.

Hi Carl,

With the imminent closure of these here boards I've added this thread to the 'Choose Your Cherries' thread, in the hope that we can preserve it ahead of the move. You (and I to a degree) have put a lot of work into this thread in the past few years, and I'd hate for that to be lost.

I'm likewise going to try and save the text of the actual cases I drafted in report form (including notes and comments) for the same reason. I hope to see you on the Boards the follow. :)

Zebra,

..It looks so much more interesting, somehow...

It was much more complicated.

INT21
Yes. It was unnecessarily complicated.
The only interesting thing about those old coins is that they had silver in them.

Hi Carl,

With the imminent closure of these here boards I've added this thread to the 'Choose Your Cherries' thread, in the hope that we can preserve it ahead of the move. You (and I to a degree) have put a lot of work into this thread in the past few years, and I'd hate for that to be lost.

I'm likewise going to try and save the text of the actual cases I drafted in report form (including notes and comments) for the same reason. I hope to see you on the Boards the follow. :)
I have actually saved this and the other major time slip type FT threads in pdf form, so hopefully they will survive on my computer and/or two USB backup memory sticks. It would be good if we can stay in touch and do odd bits of work on the same lines -- my email address is in my Rougham report, and I shall still be around on other sites such as Reddit, Above Top Secret, Unexplained Mysteries, and Alien Expanse. At the moment nothing much is happening except that someone who contacted me via Reddit will be going to try circling the standing stone at Anglesey with the aim of recording the mystery church if it appears, some time next month. I was also surprised to find that Igor Witkowski is now quite sympathetic with my ideas about earth energy/torsion waves at stone age sites, so that angle is certainly active. Also other people have put forward concepts of virtual reality similar to Whitworth's.

It would be great if you could transfer this thread across to the new board, Carl.
All I could do would be to make the pdf available and leave it to more knowledgeable persons to transfer it. It is up to date apart from this last rather sad section about the closure. In fact I will attempt to upload it now:

In fact it is way over the maximum size allowed, 40MB or so. I have uploaded it to Dropbox so I'll see if I can give a link to that:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/erbsgiu195hatv5/AAAbeO3wR2dyH5bSAYSaPt6Na?dl=0

This includes all the time-slippy threads I can find.

I like this idea... fits in with something I read once about people not being capable of seeing things that they have no concept of (like modern technology to primitive natives). Can't remember if it's true or not but interesting concept I think.

That's a good point, so the coins may have gone un-noticed until later on, after the time slip had ended..?

I'm too young to remember shillings :p but as someone who loves old films and programmes from the 50s and 60s I will admit to wishing we still had that currency now instead of decimalisation. It looks so much more interesting, somehow.
Pricing things in guineas if they were slightly better quality, etc. :)
I must say, I still think of the old currency as REAL money, and the decimal version as a bit of a comedown. The tourists all hated it of course, not just the complexity of the system but all the nicknames that we used and alternative written forms. 10s 6d (10 shillings and sixpence) could be written 10/6 and spoken as "ten and six."
And all the coins were visually distinctive, far more so than now (and infinitely better than the Euro system half of which I can't tell apart unless I take off my glasses and stare at them from 2 inches away).

I was just reading a Guardian article about a Gettysburg ghost tour which includes this anecdote:

"One night, in the 1980s, two college administrators left together after working late. The elevator delivered them not to the first floor, but to the basement. There, the doors opened on to a grisly, civil war-era scene: bleeding patients, harried orderlies, a surgeon preparing to saw off a man’s arm. When the elevator finally delivered them to the lobby, they ran to the security guard for help. But when he surveyed the basement, it was pristine and quiet, exactly as it should be."

Sounds like a potential time slip to me!

I was just reading a Guardian article about a Gettysburg ghost tour which includes this anecdote:

"One night, in the 1980s, two college administrators left together after working late. The elevator delivered them not to the first floor, but to the basement. There, the doors opened on to a grisly, civil war-era scene: bleeding patients, harried orderlies, a surgeon preparing to saw off a man’s arm. When the elevator finally delivered them to the lobby, they ran to the security guard for help. But when he surveyed the basement, it was pristine and quiet, exactly as it should be."

Sounds like a potential time slip to me!
Yes -- I have a few doubts about it, it sounds a bit over the top! But there are a lot of cases involving elevators in the Reddit Glitch in the Matrix forums, worth a look.

Yes -- I have a few doubts about it, it sounds a bit over the top! But there are a lot of cases involving elevators in the Reddit Glitch in the Matrix forums, worth a look.

Ah, I forgot to post the little coda:

"Once, during a book signing here at Gettysburg College, Nesbitt was approached by a couple who professed they knew one of the people who shared this bizarre hospital experience. But to his surprise, the name they mentioned was not that of either of the witnesses Nesbitt knew of – it would seem that this happened more than once."

But, yes, it does seem rather too good to be true...

I must say, I still think of the old currency as REAL money, and the decimal version as a bit of a comedown. The tourists all hated it of course, not just the complexity of the system but all the nicknames that we used and alternative written forms. 10s 6d (10 shillings and sixpence) could be written 10/6 and spoken as "ten and six."
And all the coins were visually distinctive, far more so than now (and infinitely better than the Euro system half of which I can't tell apart unless I take off my glasses and stare at them from 2 inches away).
Bring back the half, quarter and eighth groat is what I say.

Back