• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

There's an old legend that says your dreams on the twelve days of Christmas will predict events happening in the twelve months of the coming year, so I've been keeping track of mine. Unfortunately so far they are mostly barking mad.

Dec. 25th - I'm pulled over by the cops for unknown reasons, questioned and searched. They let me go, but a few miles down the road it happens again. And again. (really hoping this one is not an accurate prediction!)

Dec. 26th - I go swimming in a river, which turns my hair a bizarre shade of orange. It doesn't look all that bad, but my husband confesses he's embarrassed to be seen with me.

Dec. 27th - I'm invited to attend a book club meeting in Los Angeles, but it turns out it's a club for nudists and I'm the only one wearing clothes. Suddenly there's an earthquake and I end up trapped in the building with a bunch of stark-naked strangers.

Dec. 28th - Our new mail carrier turns out to be James "Bobo" Faye from Finding Bigfoot. He hands me a copy of Reader's Digest and is very cheerful. Later, I bump into former US Secretary of Labor Robert Reich who confides that he's secretly been in love with me for years.

I'm a bit worried about going to sleep now. Clearly my unconscious has decided to have a bit of fun at my expense.:oops:

missing two consecutive trains by seconds due to my own waiting room inertia, going into comedy drama hysterics on the platform, kneeling to pound and claw at the platform shouting No etc as the train receded, different driver each time ...

i dont need to get a train today but fortean kid does, we have to leave in 45 and im still naked in bed

I've just had a nap this afternoon and dreamt I was working in a hospital bar that also did meals, one customer had ordered tortoise of all things (I was reading an article in an old copy of FT about the same thing just before I nodded off) but my manager had wandered off with the order ticket which meant I didn't know where the customer was sitting or how he wanted it cooked. I couldn't find the manager but I did spot a smiley looking bloke who looked a bit like Kenny Loggins so got the vibe it was for him.

I rushed back to the bar to process the order because I'd spotted where 'Kenny' had chosen to sit. Then the dream went a bit pervy because young attractive women were saying goodbye because they'd finished their workshift and I was giving them a hug.

What the hell was that all about?

Kenny Loggins waiting for his tortoise apparently:

aKenny-Loggins-SXM.jpg

Last edited:
I had a vivid dream that I got a green light to interview Kirk Hammett (of Metallica) on the phone at 4PM. But I couldn't work my phone; I could not call out or find the number and I was extremely frustrated. He called me back at 4:20 saying it was rude of me to be late. I could hear the message but could not answer and STILL could not return the call.

Usually, people that appear out of nowhere in my dreams are prompted by some passing mention earlier in the day but I can not recall even a casual reference to Metallica any time in the recent past. I don't even listen to them. Weird. So, if you know Kirk, tell him to message me so I can apologize for being an idiot.
:thrash::band:

I had a vivid dream that I got a green light to interview Kirk Hammett (of Metallica) on the phone at 4PM. But I couldn't work my phone; I could not call out or find the number and I was extremely frustrated. He called me back at 4:20 saying it was rude of me to be late. I could hear the message but could not answer and STILL could not return the call.

Usually, people that appear out of nowhere in my dreams are prompted by some passing mention earlier in the day but I can not recall even a casual reference to Metallica any time in the recent past. I don't even listen to them. Weird. So, if you know Kirk, tell him to message me so I can apologize for being an idiot.
:thrash::band:
I've just received a message from Kirk Sharon, I've told him to try not to take it so hard but he's not happy. If you can get me a medium rare tortoise for Kenny, I think I can smooth things over between you and Kirk? ..

I had left my suitcase at some meeting. But I met the same people again at another meeting and someone there had key to the Teachers Club (Dublin) where my case had been left. I met that person again on a bridge and we watch as an anti-abortion march processed below.

After a hard day's work when I collapse on the sofa (possibly with a hefty gin) there are sometimes micro-dreams.

Tonight's saw me waving a Samurai sword round my head. Like you do.

After a hard day's work when I collapse on the sofa (possibly with a hefty gin) there are sometimes micro-dreams.

Tonight's saw me waving a Samurai sword round my head. Like you do.
Check the people around you for nicks and whatnot.

I dreamt there were lots of small oranges fallen at the bottom of my tree and wondered if they were large enough to give away or I would make marmalade.

I had a horrible dream last night. i was walking down a canal bank with my mate when another unknown person pointed up at the sky, we both looked up to see a missile slowly flying in the same direction as the canal was heading. As it flew slowly by it was changing its course slightly until it just stopped dead and then headed straight down behind some huge buildings (i estimated these to be about 4-5 miles away) There was a huge BOOM as it hit its target (unseen) and as it did so, there was a huge plume of smoke and debris coming towards us up the canal preceeded by my wife (no sign of her until then) running flat out past us! it was at this point that i woke up startled by what i had just "witnessed"

I had a horrible dream last night. i was walking down a canal bank with my mate when another unknown person pointed up at the sky, we both looked up to see a missile slowly flying in the same direction as the canal was heading. As it flew slowly by it was changing its course slightly until it just stopped dead and then headed straight down behind some huge buildings (i estimated these to be about 4-5 miles away) There was a huge BOOM as it hit its target (unseen) and as it did so, there was a huge plume of smoke and debris coming towards us up the canal preceeded by my wife (no sign of her until then) running flat out past us! it was at this point that i woke up startled by what i had just "witnessed"
Sounds like the wife can run fast!

I rarely remember dreams, but saw the tread and recalled last nights nightmare. It was a vivid dream about an ex-supervisor bawling me out for unrepaired electrical issues. The trouble w the dream is that he just wouldn't stop B-tching (it seemed to never end). I awoke a bit shaken

In real life I'm on a rota of people at my parish who read aloud the first text during the Sunday mass. Last night's dream may have been influenced by a recent conversation I had with Ron, the parish sacristan. In the dream it was my day to read so I went up to the lectern at the appropriate time. The reading is usually placed on the lectern before the service starts, but in my dream it wasn't there. It had been replaced by a large three-ring binder stuffed full of papers. Upon arriving at the lectern, I opened the binder and began madly flipping through it looking for the text while the congregation waited in silence. After a few minutes of paper shuffling, I spotted the sacristan sitting at the back of the church and I yelled at full volume from the lectern, "Ron! Where's the f---ing reading?" Ron just waved his hands in the air and I woke up. The sacristan isn't responsible for leaving the reading on the lectern so I assume my mind conjured him because I had been speaking with him a few days earlier. Then again, logic flies out the window in dreams.

Earlier today I checked the readers' rota and noted that I'm scheduled to read next Sunday. Fingers crossed that I can maintain impulse control should anything go awry at the lectern.

There's an old legend that says your dreams on the twelve days of Christmas will predict events happening in the twelve months of the coming year, so I've been keeping track of mine. Unfortunately so far they are mostly barking mad.

Dec. 25th - I'm pulled over by the cops for unknown reasons, questioned and searched. They let me go, but a few miles down the road it happens again. And again. (really hoping this one is not an accurate prediction!)

Dec. 26th - I go swimming in a river, which turns my hair a bizarre shade of orange. It doesn't look all that bad, but my husband confesses he's embarrassed to be seen with me.

Dec. 27th - I'm invited to attend a book club meeting in Los Angeles, but it turns out it's a club for nudists and I'm the only one wearing clothes. Suddenly there's an earthquake and I end up trapped in the building with a bunch of stark-naked strangers.

Dec. 28th - Our new mail carrier turns out to be James "Bobo" Faye from Finding Bigfoot. He hands me a copy of Reader's Digest and is very cheerful. Later, I bump into former US Secretary of Labor Robert Reich who confides that he's secretly been in love with me for years.

I'm a bit worried about going to sleep now. Clearly my unconscious has decided to have a bit of fun at my expense.:oops:

Adding to my previous post the dreams of the last two nights -

Dec. 29th -
There was a carnival in a small town somewhere, nothing very elaborate. I don't recall entering a raffle there, but was told I'd won it anyway and would receive two prizes. One was a silver monstrance, with the usual sunburst pattern made in the shape of leaves. The other prize was a very old and valuable recording of Berber music from Morocco. The artwork on the record sleeve was of high quality and very beautiful.

Dec 30th - In real life, there are two arched gateways in my town, a few miles apart from each other. In last night's dream, one archway led directly through the other as if the distance between them had disappeared. I went through the gates and found a small store. I went in and asked for a cup of hot tea with honey.. They said they didn't have any tea, but I told them they did, they just didn't realize it. I found it for them and got my drink - it was free, because they hadn't known they'd even had it in the first place.

Hmm. That last dream seems a bit low-key compared to the others, but I still haven't the foggiest idea what it means.o_O

Just woken up and this dream is so downright bizarre that I need to write it down before it evaporates totally.

I was in a town in a hot, Mediterranean location - felt vaguely like Barcelona, but without any of the famous landmarks. I was in a shopping street and wanted to walk down to the beach. Someone (unseen) asked me to look after "Ollie" - a juvenile but perfectly bipedal orang utan. He took my hand and we started walking along the pavement. Using sign language (which I had suddenly become fluent in) I asked Ollie how he was. He signed "OK" and asked where we were going. I replied to the sea. He signed (or it felt more like telepathy by now) he didn't like the sea, because he couldn't swim. He also didn't want to walk far, as he had no shoes. I looked down at his bare feet with their opposable big-toe and agreed. We apparently had been walking in the wrong direction and someone directed us along another road, which led to a town square. On a tall dark building was an incredibly elaborate astronomical clock, complete with animated figures and dozens of golden cog-wheels. I got out my smart-phone and zoomed in to take a photo and saw that the two figures were real women. One of them (who looked a bit like a younger Tilda Swinton) made eye-contact with me and sang an achingly beautiful medieval-sounding song. I then woke up and, sadly, the dream tune faded within a few seconds and I was left with a sense of loss.

That really was one of those where-the-f***-did-that-come-from? dreams.
Interpretations?

Last edited:
A strange one, this, and actually from the night before last, but enough of the oddness has stayed with me that I feel the urge to share before the memory fades.

I found myself in a large urban park at night. I'd been working late, apparently, and was making my way home on foot - in fact, it was now approaching midnight. This part of the park had well-lit tarmac paths leading between wooded areas.

I saw a figure ahead on the path walking the other way, which I recognised as David Duchovny in full Fox Mulder mode. Part of me, even in the dream, was thinking that I might somehow be in an episode of the X-Files, so it would be worth hanging around Mulder for the next 50 minutes, to see what happened!

The next I knew, a man - or rather, some man-like thing - came down the path towards us, travelling by means of backflipping. That sounds silly, but in the dream, it was one the most sinister things I'd ever seen. The man had no expression that I could see, but he was almost evil, and I knew that his arrival (or rather passing, as he didn't stop at all, and carried on into the distance) was going to bring something else, something horrible. Sure enough, a huge dog appeared, and came for me and "Mulder". He (Mulder) managed to get away, and I found that I could avoid the dog by floating in mid-air, just out of reach above the path. The dog seemed to get bored, and disappeared.

After that, another scene in the same story. I was in something like a large hotel, with a group of people on a wide staircase (I don't know the proper term, but it was the sort where you can look over the rail and see the stairs below going down to the next floor). Suddenly, we spotted a man standing facing away from us at the landing below. It was the man from the park. A woman in my group pointed at him, and almost as if he could hear the pointing, he turned angrily towards us for a moment (again, I couldn't see his face, but there was something "wrong" about him). He turned his head back, and proceeded to backflip down the next flight of stairs, and out of sight. I knew straight away that the big dog would be back, and people started running.

Last edited:
I had the oddest dream. I was walking down a path towards a beach some distance away, carrying a giant takeaway coffee, the cup well over a litre in size. I was also wearing a brightly coloured Hawaiian shirt that was at least two sizes too small, so much so that the buttons were struggling to contain me. During my stroll, I walked through a building that I recalled was associated with some sort of officialdom but was now garishly wallpapered with blue and yellow floral designs. There seemed to some sort of reality t.v program being filmed there. On leaving the building I continued down to the beach where I met my family and climbed some kind of two storied viewing platform to watch a carnival taking place all around below us. Most bizarre.

Just woken up and this dream is so downright bizarre that I need to write it down before it evaporates totally.

I was in a town in a hot, Mediterranean location - felt vaguely like Barcelona, but without any of the famous landmarks. I was in a shopping street and wanted to walk down to the beach. Someone (unseen) asked me to look after "Ollie" - a juvenile but perfectly bipedal orang utan. He took my hand and we started walking along the pavement. Using sign language (which I had suddenly become fluent in) I asked Ollie how he was. He signed "OK" and asked where we were going. I replied to the sea. He signed (or it felt more like telepathy by now) he didn't like the sea, because he couldn't swim. He also didn't want to walk far, as he had no shoes. I looked down at his bare feet with their opposable big-toe and agreed. We apparently had been walking in the wrong direction and someone directed us along another road, which led to a town square. On a tall dark building was an incredibly elaborate astronomical clock, complete with animated figures and dozens of golden cog-wheels. I got out my smart-phone and zoomed in to take a photo and saw that the two figures were real women. One of them (who looked a bit like a younger Tilda Swinton) made eye-contact with me and sang an achingly beautiful medieval-sounding song. I then woke up and, sadly, the dream tune faded within a few seconds and I was left with a sense of loss.

That really was one of those where-the-f***-did-that-come-from? dreams.
Interpretations?

I find that names tend to be important in dreams, so perhaps the first thing is to discover what the name Ollie means to you. Perhaps the clock and the song could have something to do with the arc of history and the passing of time?

A strange one, this, and actually from the night before last, but enough of the oddness has stayed with me that I feel the urge to share before the memory fades.

I found myself in a large urban park at night. I'd been working late, apparently, and was making my way home on foot - in fact, it was now approaching midnight. This part of the park had well-lit tarmac paths leading between wooded areas.

I saw a figure ahead on the path walking the other way, which I recognised as David Duchovny in full Fox Mulder mode. Part of me, even in the dream, was thinking that I might somehow be in an episode of the X-Files, so it would be worth hanging around Mulder for the next 50 minutes, to see what happened!

The next I knew, a man - or rather, some man-like thing - came down the path towards us, travelling by means of backflipping. That sounds silly, but in the dream, it was one the most sinister things I'd ever seen. The man had no expression that I could see, but he was almost evil, and I knew that his arrival (or rather passing, as he didn't stop at all, and carried on into the distance) was going to bring something else, something horrible. Sure enough, a huge dog appeared, and came for me and "Mulder". He (Mulder) managed to get away, and I found that I could avoid the dog by floating in mid-air, just out of reach above the path. The dog seemed to get bored, and disappeared.

After that, another scene in the same story. I was in something like a large hotel, with a group of people on a wide staircase (I don't know the proper term, but it was the sort where you can look over the rail and see the stairs below going down to the next floor). Suddenly, we spotted a man standing facing away from us at the landing below. It was the man from the park. A woman in my group pointed at him, and almost as if he could hear the pointing, he turned angrily towards us for a moment (again, I couldn't see his face, but there was something "wrong" about him). He turned his head back, and proceeded to backflip down the next flight of stairs, and out of sight. I knew straight away that the big dog would be back, and people started running.

That wasn't the whole dream, by the way, but I thought that it was a long enough post, so I left it there for the time being. However, for the sake of completeness, I dreamt the following in the same "story":

I was in a group of people, possibly the same ones from the previous "hotel" scene, who had escaped to a hall which looked like part of a church, or possibly a posh school. We were being pursued by two large dogs this time, and were trying to barricade ourselves inside this hall. When we couldn't shut the doors, I tried piling up furniture to block the dogs' way and possibly climb out of reach. As the dogs starting attacking some of the group, I found a back door to the room, which led into a wide corridor. There were people there offering to help, but I knew somehow that they were part of some ritual, something connected to the backflipping man.

Throughout this very long dream sequence, I remained of the opinion that I was still in an X-Files episode, and that Mulder would come to the rescue before anything happened to me!

The final scene had jumped from the hall & corridor to some large tiered space, like a theatre or temple. There were lots of people there, young and old, up near the rafters and down on the lower floor. I suddenly realised that a human sacrifice was to take place, with me as the victim. I thought that if I could just stay unnoticed up at the back of the room, I'd be OK, but even as I thought that, a large man next to me said "hello, ....." (calling me by my real name), and I knew the game was up. He hadn't spoken to me unkindly - it wasn't out of malice that they were going to kill me, it was simply a necessary part of the ritual. In an instant, I was on the "stage" area of this space, in front of the man in charge. He was around 65, stocky but not fat, and well dressed in a smart suit. He carried a large sword, and proceeded to tell me, calmly and politely, how he'd be killing me, which would involve a thrust to my middle and then slicing my neck. He was telling me all this in quite an amiable manner, reassuring me that I wouldn't suffer. I was thinking that Mulder had better get a move on, as things were drawing rapidly to their end, and then I remember no more.

I find that names tend to be important in dreams, so perhaps the first thing is to discover what the name Ollie means to you. Perhaps the clock and the song could have something to do with the arc of history and the passing of time?

All I can think of is that I am aware of the famous bipedal chimp called Oliver.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_the_chimpanzee

Oh and I'm planning to go and see the movie Stan and Ollie in a few days.

I was in a kitchen being told about 2 important recipes I was supposed to remember.
But do you think I can remember them now I'm awake?

Dreamt that a kingfisher (pale blue in colour) had gotten into the house. We tried to get it to fly out, but to no avail. I eventually managed to catch it with a towel and took it outside. Then my brother opened the door to get back in the house, and the bird flew straight back in. I started yelling at my brother for being such a gormless idiot when my other siblings turned up, so I had to stop shouting and be polite, when all I could think of was ways to commit murder and not be caught...

Dreamt that a kingfisher (pale blue in colour) had gotten into the house. We tried to get it to fly out, but to no avail. I eventually managed to catch it with a towel and took it outside. Then my brother opened the door to get back in the house, and the bird flew straight back in. I started yelling at my brother for being such a gormless idiot when my other siblings turned up, so I had to stop shouting and be polite, when all I could think of was ways to commit murder and not be caught...

Reminds me of a film or summat we saw on TV, where a bird got in and kept flying round a room and evading a family, in some horror context.

Last night I was dreaming of unloading bicycles from a van and carefully locking them up in a garden with a strong tall gate. Like where I used to live.

I turned to someone with me and said 'They'll be safe there, don't worry.'
As I was speaking I noticed I was addressing someone close who died suddenly some years ago, and thought oh 'ello, that's a bit weird... and woke up.

I had a terrible stress dream where I was the only staff member working a banquet of 400 guests - each paying individually. The meal was due to finish at 8pm and I was due on stage, on the other side of towm, for the biggest gig of my life also at 8pm. So I had to try and finish the banquet early and get over there in a taxi. I made it but without my stage gear, clothes or props.

While the audience was kept waiting I realised that I hadn't rehearsed or prepared at all, and had to try and create a new show in minutes, only then to be told we couldn't go ahead as the technical side of the show wasn't working. I woke up sweating but also happy that it was just a dream.

Back