• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

Yup, someone mistakenly mentioned his death on TV, which to prompted him to call his upcoming tour 'David Gest Is Not Dead But Alive With Soul'!
He died quietly of a stroke at 62 shortly before the tour was to begin.

Well it all makes sense now! Thought I was just going mad haha. :crazy:

Vera!! She's 100 and still kickin' it. Good form, madam.
nintchdbpict000309468539.jpg
RIP The Grand Dame

I was in the the shower this morning mindlessly thinking of t.v shows I enjoyed when younger and my thoughts drifted to the wonderful Good Life and my first thought then was Penelope Keith still alive? Not having heard otherwise, a quick check tells me she's still going string at 80. Loved that show. I have the box set somewhere. Must dig it out.

Last edited:
I was in the the shower this morning mindlessly thinking of t.v shows I enjoyed when younger and my thoughts drifted to the wonderful Good Life and my first though then was Penelope Keith still alive? Not having heard otherwise, a quick check tells me she's still going string at 80. Loved that show. I have the box set somewhere. Must dig it out.
Only Penelope and Felicity left from that great show. They should reunite, and go around solving murders while gardening. Oh, wait, that's Rosemary And Thyme...

I was in the the shower this morning mindlessly thinking of t.v shows I enjoyed when younger and my thoughts drifted to the wonderful Good Life and my first though then was Penelope Keith still alive? Not having heard otherwise, a quick check tells me she's still going string at 80. Loved that show. I have the box set somewhere. Must dig it out.

I share your good taste L.L.

Yer wanted by the po-lice and my wife thinks yer dead.

I've seen Junior Brown live a few times. He's a lot of fun.

I was positive that Richard Wilson had died over a year ago. I remember thinking at the time 'that's a shame, he was so good in the Doctor Who episode about the children in gas masks'. I was CONVINCED he was dead.

Apparently not. He had a nasty heart attack, but seems to be making a good recovery. So what made me think he died?

I was positive that Richard Wilson had died over a year ago. I remember thinking at the time 'that's a shame, he was so good in the Doctor Who episode about the children in gas masks'. I was CONVINCED he was dead.

Apparently not. He had a nasty heart attack, but seems to be making a good recovery. So what made me think he died?
I don't believe it!

Yeah, I thought Tony was dead too!

I thought Shakin Stevens was dead but he popped up on a news item on tv last night.

Easily confused with Alvin Stardust, who left us 6 years ago.
I saw one of his last ever performances at the Great British Beerfest in 2013.
Not my sort of music, but he did put on a good show.
His voice was still strong, but I was struck at how frail and sort of bent over he looked. The cancer was obviously taking its toll.

After watching an old programme with Bernard Cribbins in (as per my post on the What TV Are You Watching thread) I was looking on IMDB to find out more about said programme and realised that he's still alive.

I didn't have any particular reason to think he wasn't, but he was just one of those "seemed old back then so surely can't still be around" sort of chaps. But no, he's still with us and will be 92 later this month.

After watching an old programme with Bernard Cribbins in (as per my post on the What TV Are You Watching thread) I was looking on IMDB to find out more about said programme and realised that he's still alive.

I didn't have any particular reason to think he wasn't, but he was just one of those "seemed old back then so surely can't still be around" sort of chaps. But no, he's still with us and will be 92 later this month.
Same'ere but with Tommy Steele. He seemed to be everywhere when I was a kid. I've been watching a Youtube compilation of 1980s TV adverts and there's one for a London show of his.

I thought 'Is 'e still with us?' and checked, and indeed he is, currently working as a sculptor.

Bernard Cribbins found a whole new fan base when he appeared in New Doctor Who. There will be a lot of mourning when he goes...

Yep, he's one of the few that 'crossed over'. The late Liz Sladen is another one.
Not quite, he was in one of the two Cushing films, not the original run. Lis Sladen and K9 (still played by John Leeson) were in both new and original, and of course Tom Baker and Geoffrey Palmer along with about another forty or so. They’re probably the most well known. Some behind the scenes crew have done both including one director and one writer.

Not quite, he was in one of the two Cushing films, not the original run. Lis Sladen and K9 (still played by John Leeson) were in both new and original, and of course Tom Baker and Geoffrey Palmer along with about another forty or so. They’re probably the most well known. Some behind the scenes crew have done both including one director and one writer.
Yes, I don't think the Cushing films are canon, which is a shame.

I got Mr Cribbins' autobiography to read last Christmas (or it might have been the one before). Top anecdotage, just what you want from an autobiography. A natural storyteller (his own and others').

I got Mr Cribbins' autobiography to read last Christmas (or it might have been the one before). Top anecdotage, just what you want from an autobiography. A natural storyteller (his own and others').

Yes, TV may have gotten a lot wrong in the 70's and 80's but Jackanory wasn't one of them.

Nadim Sawalha. I was certain I read an interview with one of his daughters last year some time about their grief since losing their father but I am mistaken as he is still with us.

I could have sworn Gwen Taylor had died in the last year so, but she popped up in the latest episode of Doctors today.

After the death of John LeCarre I was thinking about other writers of spy stories and thought of Len Deighton who I assumed had died many years ago. But it turns out he's still with us at the age of 91.

Talking of nonagenarians, I was surprised to see famed character actor Armin Mueller-Stahl celebrated his 90th yesterday - could have sworn he'd died, but he's just retired.

Talking of nonagenarians, I was surprised to see famed character actor Armin Mueller-Stahl celebrated his 90th yesterday - could have sworn he'd died, but he's just retired.

Ooh, I know 'im from the X Files movie Fight the Future.

Back