• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

Yes! He is in that. Little guy, big talent.

Yep, likeable in things we've seen him in.

Just discussing him with Mr Zebra, who pointed out he was also in The Thirteenth Floor. :)

I'll stop naming films now.

Richard Riehle. I confidentiality asserted that he was dead the other day when he was on an old TV movie my other half was watching. I could have sworn he died about 5 years ago.

I was very surprised to see Jose Feliciano on tv a few days ago, as I thought he'd been dead for years.

I was talking with someone just last week about Jose in a discussion about the best concerts we had ever been to. She was telling me that on a whim, she'd bought 2 tickets for her and her teenage daughter to see Jose in Sydney in 2018 and it was the best concert they had ever seen. Her daughter (who had never heard of him before) still raves about it two years later.

I was pretty sure I have read somewhere Betty White died 2-3 weeks ago, but no she's still going strong.
Have I entered a new timeline?

The actor George Costigan, born 8 August 1947. For some reason I could SWEAR he died three or four years ago.
I'm glad he didn't!

Wonder who I was thinking of?

I saw Tony Bennett on my honeymoon in Las Vegas a little more than 15 years ago. It was in a little room with less than 500 seats and I was amazed then at how good he sounded even at that age. He actually sang one song without amplification - pretty good trick even in a small theater, but even more stunning when he did the same thing at the much larger Radio City Music Hall not too long after that!

As for the topic at hand, for me it usually happens when I hear of a celebrity death: "I thought he/she was already dead!" Most recently, Cloris Leachman.

I saw Tony Bennett on my honeymoon in Las Vegas a little more than 15 years ago. It was in a little room with less than 500 seats and I was amazed then at how good he sounded even at that age. He actually sang one song without amplification - pretty good trick even in a small theater, but even more stunning when he did the same thing at the much larger Radio City Music Hall not too long after that!

When we saw him in some '70s music show t'other night I remarked to Techy that his voice was so strong and powerful, yet there he was jigging along with a seaside backdrop to a cheerful ditty about a condemned man's final hours.

When we saw him in some '70s music show t'other night I remarked to Techy that his voice was so strong and powerful, yet there he was jigging along with a seaside backdrop to a cheerful ditty about a condemned man's final hours.

And the relevance to Tony Christie is...?

Hahaha, yup, well, my observation still applies even to the wrong singer!
All singers are wrong 'uns!

Especially this one:
220px-Nana_Mouskouri_1966.jpg

Nana Mouskouri is kind of Fortean in that she has a single vocal chord. So don't scoff too much, she's quite incredible in her way.
I didn't know that.

Truth to tell, it was always, "And now, Tony Bennett sings . . . click!" whenever I could reach the switch. I cannot lie. :fslap:
Funny, lounge singing is one of my least favorite genres, so for Frank Sinatra--fast click, same for Jack Jones, Steve Lawrence, and so on. But I can stand hearing a few Tony Bennett numbers. He has a touch of soul.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truth to tell, it was always, "And now, Tony Bennett sings . . . click!" whenever I could reach the switch. I cannot lie. :fslap:
Funny, lounge singing is one of my least favorite genres, so for Frank Sinatra--fast click, same for Jack Jones, Steve Lawrence, and so on. But I can stand hearing a few Tony Bennett numbers. He has a touch of soul.
After mixing up Messrs Christie and Bennett (I'm blaming using my phone) I was going to stay out of this, but you're so right.

My sisters were born in 1949/50 and told me that before Elvis and then the Beatles came along it was all crooners.

Pop music was hard for them to find and listen to anyway. Can remember one sister loitering in the street with her teenage friends and rushing over to the pub, to stand outside and listen to her favourite singer on the jukebox through the window.

Youngsters today wouldn't put up with THAT! :chuckle:

Last edited:
Back