• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do You Believe In Astrology?

Do you believe in astrology, and are you male or female?

• Yes I believe in astrolgy and am male.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Yes I believe in astrology and am female.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I am undecided about astrology and am male.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I am undecided about astrology and am female.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I do not believe in astrology and am male.

Votes: 39 60.0%
  • I do not believe in astrology and am female.

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
I'll have to kill you now. :)

UcXdym6.gif

Last edited:
We did our Chinese astrology signs and everyone else in the family was somehting cool like snake or tiger. I was a cow.

Not happy.

In the western one, people get to be more exciting things like unicorn goats or scorpions. I'm a set of scales.

I'd be more up for believing it if, for once, I was something glamorous and exciting not a cow or a measuring implement.

Although I was intrigued to notice my favourite ever drag queen in Ru Paul's Drag Race, the one who everything he ever says and does I agree with and think "That's exactly what I'd say/do in that situation" shares a birthday with me. And all my closest friends ever, turn out to have the same star sign. Still, that is statistically possible if not entirely likely.

I think of all the woo things, astrology is the one I least get and am least interested in.

I'm a Virgin and also a Dog. These two may be connected.

I'm one of those lions, as were my mother and grandmother and for a few years when I was young we all lived in the same house. Later, my first significant romantic relationship was with another born under Leo.

When I was in my twenties I found myself sharing a house with two other Leos (among other signs), while at the same time I was working with three Leos (one of whom is still a good friend of mine).

If I look back, then what the astrologers say about this sign seems to be true and I can see certain traits in people that make sense looked at in this way*. But that's hindsight and I would more than likely be making something out of nothing. The cluster of people in my life with the same sign always amused me though.

*They fall into two categories - I either loved them to bits or I really never want to see them again. There was no 'middle of the road' in my attitude to this group of people. But then, other star signs are more than capable of getting on my tits.

For the last two years, author David Jester has been researching his new thriller Clinic, which was released this week.

As a result of the research, he concluded that most serial killers were born under the Taurus star sign, which is between April 20 and May 20.

Also, the most serial killers were born on April 21, and February 18.

https://www.indy100.com/article/mos...rus-as-their-star-sign-research-finds-8355876
In England, a disproportionate number of them have been Yorkshiremen, as well... I think they say it's people born within the 'Halifax Triangle' - not sure where the other two triangulation points are...

Person I knew in my life who would get my vote for "Most Likely To Become Serial Killer" was an Aries.

I'm one of those lions, as were my mother and grandmother and for a few years when I was young we all lived in the same house. Later, my first significant romantic relationship was with another born under Leo.

When I was in my twenties I found myself sharing a house with two other Leos (among other signs), while at the same time I was working with three Leos (one of whom is still a good friend of mine).

If I look back, then what the astrologers say about this sign seems to be true and I can see certain traits in people that make sense looked at in this way*. But that's hindsight and I would more than likely be making something out of nothing. The cluster of people in my life with the same sign always amused me though.

*They fall into two categories - I either loved them to bits or I really never want to see them again. There was no 'middle of the road' in my attitude to this group of people. But then, other star signs are more than capable of getting on my tits.
At uni, at one point I house shared with three others and one of us (a Beatles fan) noticed that all four of us shared a star sign with one of the Beatles (I was John, fortunately). My best friends always turn out to be Cancers although I never pre-select them according to star sign. I still think it's a load of nonsense, though.

At uni, at one point I house shared with three others and one of us (a Beatles fan) noticed that all four of us shared a star sign with one of the Beatles (I was John, fortunately).

Did you sleep in a bed built into the floor and did you and your housemates leave the house by individual front doors?

I just discovered that the local Metro newspaper, is using a text algorithm to create their horoscopes. It began last year, due to some problems with their usual supplier of horoscopes. It's even written above the horoscope.

I just discovered that the local Metro newspaper, is using a text algorithm to create their horoscopes. It began last year, due to some problems with their usual supplier of horoscopes. It's even written above the horoscope.

What does it mean for horoscopes to be generated by a 'text algorithm'? Does this mean the predictions are made without any particular regard to (e.g.) celestial positions / alignments / etc.?

A lot of them are done with software anyway. Now they're cutting out the middleman.

From what I can gather, it is merely text with no connection to stellar positions.

Hmm. Combine a horoscope algorithm with tracking cookies/spyware/Facebook profile - you could get individually-tailored online horoscopes that make people go "Wow! This astrology stuff is so accurate!" Good way to secure repeat visitors to one's site...

I once had a full horoscope drawn up in the '80s - I think it was possibly Jonathan Cainer who sat chain-smoking at the opposite end of the table, I can't remember now. He explained he was a journalist who used software to generate forecasts in a newspaper column (Eddie Shah's Today ?) and we had a good chat and I liked him immensely. Anyway, to the point:
I am a male Aquarian and I read my horoscope for entertainment, but find the sign before mine (Capricorn) to be coincidently of more relevance.
I know several Aquarian females and can see points of similarities in their personalities. Although I am drawn to them, they do not appreciate that when drawing parallels between their star sign and personality traits (which they do frequently on FB), females and males are not alike.
I wouldn't expect an equal distribution of star signs in the British population because babies (in God-fearing days) came after weddings, which are more common in the Summer months than the cold wet Winter.
I don't personally know any male Aquarians and I find that mildly odd.
Since re-reading the thread I've found @ramonmercado. Anyone else on the Forum out of interest ?

I can't possibly contemplate that the placement of celestial bodies could in any way affect my day-to-day life in any way whatsoever.
But then again I'm naturally sceptical about such things cos I'm a Taurean.

I once had a full horoscope drawn up in the '80s - I think it was possibly Jonathan Cainer who sat chain-smoking at the opposite end of the table, I can't remember now. He explained he was a journalist who used software to generate forecasts in a newspaper column (Eddie Shah's Today ?) and we had a good chat and I liked him immensely. Anyway, to the point:
I am a male Aquarian and I read my horoscope for entertainment, but find the sign before mine (Capricorn) to be coincidently of more relevance.
I know several Aquarian females and can see points of similarities in their personalities. Although I am drawn to them, they do not appreciate that when drawing parallels between their star sign and personality traits (which they do frequently on FB), females and males are not alike.
I wouldn't expect an equal distribution of star signs in the British population because babies (in God-fearing days) came after weddings, which are more common in the Summer months than the cold wet Winter.
I don't personally know any male Aquarians and I find that mildly odd.
Since re-reading the thread I've found @ramonmercado. Anyone else on the Forum out of interest ?

If it's of any interest, my dad and also Mr Zebra's dad were both Aquarians. (Actually co-incidentally there was only about 2 days difference in their birthdays).

Mr Zebra and I are both Pisces :D

Funny you should mention Jonathan Cainer, because I went through a period of reading his horoscope online a few years ago (when I was having losts of problems and stress in my life) and I found his forecasts to be spookily accurate (compare that with the normal short horoscopes in newspapers that I used to read when I was much younger, which were basically rubbish and any similarity to me or my life was purely co-incidental).

But since Jonathan Cainer died and his (son? nephew?) took over the helm, I found that the forecasts were no longer as spookily accurate so I don't bother reading them anymore.

I read with interest the earlier comment about premature babies and what star sign they would/should be. I think I was premature but I don't know how much, so I don't know if that makes a difference to anything. Perhaps I ought to read horoscopes for the next sign on from mine to see if they are accurate or not.

As to whether I believe in them or not - I voted "yes I beleive and female" but I wouldn't say I passionately believe them or anything, just that - like so many things - I think there are hits and there are misses. I don't live my life by them, or anything like that.

And I can't remember what personality a Pisces is supposed to have, but as Mr Zebra and I have differing personalities in some ways (he is more calm and rational, I worry and stress about everything) and in other ways we are alike (both struggle with social interaction and can be shy) then I don't really see how the personality thing can completely fit.

If it's of any interest, my dad and also Mr Zebra's dad were both Aquarians. (Actually co-incidentally there was only about 2 days difference in their birthdays).

Mr Zebra and I are both Pisces :D

Funny you should mention Jonathan Cainer, because I went through a period of reading his horoscope online a few years ago (when I was having losts of problems and stress in my life) and I found his forecasts to be spookily accurate (compare that with the normal short horoscopes in newspapers that I used to read when I was much younger, which were basically rubbish and any similarity to me or my life was purely co-incidental).

But since Jonathan Cainer died and his (son? nephew?) took over the helm, I found that the forecasts were no longer as spookily accurate so I don't bother reading them anymore.

I read with interest the earlier comment about premature babies and what star sign they would/should be. I think I was premature but I don't know how much, so I don't know if that makes a difference to anything. Perhaps I ought to read horoscopes for the next sign on from mine to see if they are accurate or not.

As to whether I believe in them or not - I voted "yes I beleive and female" but I wouldn't say I passionately believe them or anything, just that - like so many things - I think there are hits and there are misses. I don't live my life by them, or anything like that.

And I can't remember what personality a Pisces is supposed to have, but as Mr Zebra and I have differing personalities in some ways (he is more calm and rational, I worry and stress about everything) and in other ways we are alike (both struggle with social interaction and can be shy) then I don't really see how the personality thing can completely fit.

Thank you.

It's interesting, but nope, I don't 'believe' in it (typical Leo!)

Screenshot_2020-12-22.png

Last edited:
Many tales of disappearing wellies....
Just seen this spookily accurate forecast from April.

Aries - You will be staying in doing f**k all
Taurus - You will be staying in doing f**k all
Gemini - You will be staying in doing f**k all
Cancer - You will be staying in doing f**k all
Leo - You will be staying in doing f**k all
Virgo - You will be staying in doing f**k all
Libra - You will be staying in doing f**k all
Scorpio - You will be staying in doing f**k all
Sagitarious - You will be staying in doing f**k all
Capricorn - You will be staying in doing f**k all
Aquarius - You will be staying in doing f**k all
Pisces - You will be staying in doing f**k all

In reply to the opening question, I try not to believe in anything but personally position things on a scale of likelihood. Until recently, astrology was low down on the scale but I read that Stan Grof, the most experienced psychedelic/holotropic researcher in the world thinks that there could be something in it: http://www.archai.org/article-posts/holotropic-research-and-archetypal-astrology/

It is difficult to see how the small gravitational pull of the planets could have an effect but Donald Hoffman suggests that spacetime is just a construct that we use to understand reality and it doesn't really exist. I'm still trying to get my head around his ideas and don't understand 'where' or what the planets actually are (he suggests data structures). Thus, it's not inconcievable that they may have an (or had an) affect on us through processes not yet discovered by science.

We've had this before. The time of year people are born is known to affect their lives without any need for planetary influences.

It starts early. Children born soon after the first week of September are the oldest in their school intake and are more mature and generally better able to cope with school.
Conversely, children born in August are the youngest in their year and have to catch up. This is known as the 'August birth penalty'.

It is discussed here, in a (safe) Institute for Fiscal Studies paper -
When You Are Born Matters: The Impact of Date of Birth on Child Cognitive Outcomes in England

A quote from the conclusion:

What is clear from this report is that there is a significant inequity that should be urgently addressed: August-born children are, on average, being penalised, simply because of an unlucky birth draw. This is not acceptable on either equity or efficiency grounds.

We've had this before. The time of year people are born is known to affect their lives without any need for planetary influences.

It starts early. Children born soon after the first week of September are the oldest in their school intake and are more mature and generally better able to cope with school.
Conversely, children born in August are the youngest in their year and have to catch up. This is known as the 'August birth penalty'.

It is discussed here, in a (safe) Institute for Fiscal Studies paper -
When You Are Born Matters: The Impact of Date of Birth on Child Cognitive Outcomes in England

A quote from the conclusion:
As an August child I can certainly say there is a lot of truth in this.

Some time ago I looked into the horoscope for my specific birth date and found that there were some similarities between that and my myer briggs result. However, overall it's a mixed bag. Some of it's wrong, some of it's right, a bit like throwing a dart whilst blindfolded. My mam always used to put a little yearly horoscope book in our stockings every year, just a bit of fun for teenagers. I don't believe in it myself, especially now.

I was interested to read an article on the bbc (perhaps a year ago?) about how astrology seems to be making a comeback and that some younger people (in their 20s) are so devoted to it that it literally controls their lives. There were a few people quoted who talked about how much it affected their decisions and sometimes they would cancel certain plans based what was in the horoscope. o_O I think that probably says something about the person needing some control in their life more than anything.

When it comes to astrology I always think of the Derren Brown show where he did personal readings for the whole audience based on their personal items, and a really high % came back saying it was fairly or very accurate. Of course they all received the same reading. I know he wasn't doing 'astrology' but there were certainly some parallels.

I thought some of this recent research on humans being affected by magnetic fields and other weird stuff might lead to astrology re-entering the scientific world. Would be funny if it turned out to have a basis in fact after all.

Magnetic fields don't extend very far. Not like gravity.

i guess i’m thinking if we’re affected by the earth’s magnetic field then there may be other things we’re sensitive to. i haven’t seen anything conclusive about the affect of the moon though, so Venus etc seems a bit unlikely. Pity in a way.

Anyway, as we're currently in Mercury retrograde it might best not to jump to conclusions. :wink2:

Back