• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Moonraker's Dolly'—Braces Or Not?

No, what is meant by this is that Dolly was in the film, and Fleming's original book. But she was dropped from the novelisation of the film (written by Christopher Wood, the screenwriter).
Hmm; it is thirty years since I read Moonraker by Ian Fleming, but I'm pretty sure that neither Jaws or Dolly are in it.

The original book is a pretty low key 1954 technothriller, based on the unlikely premise that the UK would procure an ICBM deterrent from a private contractor. The private contractor turns out to be an ex-Nazi, who turns the missiles against the UK. More like an episode of The Professionals than Star Wars.

More like an episode of The Professionals than Star Wars.

I was hugely disappointed when I read the Fleming bond books recently, not sure what I was expecting, but I certainly didn't expect how poor most of them are. The Pussy Galore storyline from Goldfinger actually elicited a 'what the fuck' from me, the only reminant of which was the 'You can turn off the charm, it won't work on me' line from the film.

So someone just made this, right?

Watching it now it strikes me that the shot showing her teeth isn't held long enough to sell the joke/message. It cuts away too quickly which strengthens the argument that it the whole thing was a visual joke on their height difference.

I agree that the cutting away is too sudden for the braces to have impact. However, one thing that you are forgetting is the actual plot of the film. Hugo Drax's dastardly scheme is to replace existing humanity with a new race of physically perfect superhumans: Jaws is one of his henchmen. It is only following his liasion with Dolly (and a bit of encouragement from Bond) that he turns against Drax. Why? Because he knows that Dolly is not physically perfect and would be one of those slaughtered.

Now, from the film's (juvenile) point of view, how is Dolly physically imperfect? She's a nubile, petite young blonde. Surely -even in the seventies - it wasn't just her glasses!? There would need to be some other indication of imperfectness, such as...braces.

By the way, I'm coming more over to the idea that maybe she didn't ever have braces after all - but what is of interest here (and of the` M.E` overall) is that so may people - including the BBC and die hard Bond fans -are so utterly adamant that she did!

This sort of mass re-engineering of Consensus Reality is of great relevance - and not at all trivial - it could have implications for other types of Fortean phenomena too.

I agree that the cutting away is too sudden for the braces to have impact. However, one thing that you are forgetting is the actual plot of the film. Hugo Drax's dastardly scheme is to replace existing humanity with a new race of physically perfect superhumans: Jaws is one of his henchmen. It is only following his liasion with Dolly (and a bit of encouragement from Bond) that he turns against Drax. Why? Because he knows that Dolly is not physically perfect and would be one of those slaughtered.

Now, from the film's (juvenile) point of view, how is Dolly physically imperfect? She's a nubile, petite young blonde. Surely -even in the seventies - it wasn't just her glasses!? There would need to be some other indication of imperfectness, such as...braces.
Jaws also realised that by Drax's standards, he was also imperfect - not just Dolly.

I have to say I've signed up as I, too found this to be the only "genuine feeling" of the ME theory which I couldn't easily rationalise.

I was so sure she had braces... but I reckon it is indeed a combination of an associated other memory (probably from a movie around the same time) with a dolly-lookie-likey character who did have braces (or train tracks as we used to call them); and the very real need most of us have to associate the vague concept that she was somehow inferior and therefore plot-sealing with the difficulty in glasses alone being the inferiority- and of course the cut back between both sets of teeth.

It's such a strong feeling that I can only assume the memory we seem to have, has been cemented by several different processes at work.

Fascinating to actually consider ones memory and why it has formed in the way that it has.

It's very possible that another deeper set of variables is at play here too- subliminal message by accident if you will.

If the particular time frames of the dolly-jaws interactions in question perhaps are coincidentally also congruent to snapshot-memory formation at a chemical level- this kind of stuff isn't really well understood yet and it could be we've all stumbled across an unwitting memory-key of sorts.

Or, on the other hand, it's those pesky space lizards in government manipulating everything to keep us at bay again. Natch.

Re the locking braces movie memory I'm sure the Gomez Addams story is playing with the memory there too as I had the "resolved" feeling when I remembered that's where I "saw" it... perhaps my imagination filled the gap to memory and confused it with an actual scene of witnessing it.

I dare say our imagination (especially in those creative of us) is probably to blame for self-delusion (or should it be dilution) of the original memory, in combination with similarities which, as we age, get copied onto old memories like bad sectors in my old hard drive.

Anyway OT a bit but glad to have found the forum as I definitely remember I had several binders full of FT magazines as a preoccupied youth. i think. ;)

Can we all agree that it would've been better had she been wearing braces?

I just wanted to say something as I haven't been on this thread at all.

She didn't need them - her teeth were straight.

Just skim read this thread and did 2 mins of research online and found these
Screenshot_20210122-131321.jpg

You beat me to it. His sh*te also ruined a great stunt. What were the editors thinking?

I've come late to the party, and this has probably been addressed... in recent years, in NEARLY all cases, the TV and satellite versions have the swannee whistle sound effect dubbed over with the sound of the engine revving.

I would ask 'why bother' the scene is about a second long?
Just to show off, I guess. The video poster's channel description:
"Romthirty
VFX A wide range of visual effects to fit your film and commercial needs.
VFX Artist for The Warp Zone & FGTeeV"

I would ask 'why bother' the scene is about a second long?
Because there is a major stooshie about whether Dolly wears braces or not and it would be funny to stir it up even more by faking braces.

Myself, I am astonished that apparently she wasn't. Like many others here, that was the point of the scene and the gag is what makes the scene memorable in the first place. You have this "Beauty and the Beast" type scenario until she smiles and - she has metal teeth too. Badum tsh!

How is it possible she wasn't? :omg:

Because there is a major stooshie about whether Dolly wears braces or not and it would be funny to stir it up even more by faking braces.

Myself, I am astonished that apparently she wasn't. Like many others here, that was the point of the scene and the gag is what makes the scene memorable in the first place. You have this "Beauty and the Beast" type scenario until she smiles and - she has metal teeth too. Badum tsh!

How is it possible she wasn't? :omg:
Yes im not really that concerned but like solving mysterys lol

Just to show off, I guess. The video poster's channel description:
"Romthirty
VFX A wide range of visual effects to fit your film and commercial needs.
VFX Artist for The Warp Zone & FGTeeV"
Well what ever their reasons if it is a touch up job they are very good at what they do :p

We had a talk on the Mandela Effect at the Edinburgh Fortean Society and Dolly braces or not was used as an example. The speaker had even linked to a clip from the movie to prove she did not have braces. Unfortunately the clip was the one mentioned here with braces digitally added. Fortunately the WiFi cut out and the speaker was not able to show the clip. It was starting to get very meta!

We had a talk on the Mandela Effect at the Edinburgh Fortean Society and Dolly braces or not was used as an example. The speaker had even linked to a clip from the movie to prove she did not have braces. Unfortunately the clip was the one mentioned here with braces digitally added. Fortunately the WiFi cut out and the speaker was not able to show the clip. It was starting to get very meta!

Found definative proof she did wear braces

Screenshot_20210122-203832.jpg

Haha!

But to me the important bit is `Did they survive`?

or is that irrelevant to the characters and story?

But to me the important bit is `Did they survive`?

or is that irrelevant to the characters and story?

There's a radio message at the end of the film that says they were picked up safe and sound. You can sleep easily now.

They can do miracles with computer effects these days, and it was well done.
I'm surprised it took this long for someone to "fix" the scene. I don't follow those movies, never seen that one, but aren't the braces used a bit anachronistic? I think the scene would work better if Dolly had a mouth full of those old contraptions I recall my contemporaries being subjected to back in the day. Also, I wonder why the movie director didn't have braces on Dolly's teeth. Might have thought it was a bit too obvious or something.

and spoils a great piece of John Barry music - he wasn't pleased!

As I've said, some recent version overdub the whistle with the cars engine. It doesn't spoil the Barry soundtrack as there was no music during the stunt. I can see how he'd be upset if the track was obtrusively mixed with the whistle on top of the music, but it isn't.

Back