• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Here's Mick West on a similar event, the so-called pyramid UAP. This was filmed using a (significantly more advanced) nightscope. The triangular stars move all over the place, mostly because the person holding the instrument can't hold his hand steady enough.
No-one can.

it is clear that the object moves from the south and is coming towards them.
It appears to be coming towards them, which is not the same thing. You are mistaking illusion for reality, which is the error at the heart of so many UFO sightings. The stars no more moved than did the lighthouse, which was also reported as approaching and receding.

...it can't be denied that the basic event is described live on the tape.
As discussed here in great detail, the default explanation that our star-like object, which otherwise behaved exactly like a star, was doubtless a star...

... except that it was recorded as at one moment moving fast towards Halt & Co., by three people on his tape, at that exact moment and then our beam, followed instantly by an exclamation, from someone other than Halt...

That multiple autokenesis, etc. has never sat comfortably, so to speak...

The fact John Burroughs continually advocated to find that other recording of radio net traffic and quite specifically linked same to events at the WSA - citing its critical significance and would, 'open a can of worms', etc.

You obviously do have to contemplate though... for real?

If you went to a bookmakers, said you wanted to place a large bet on that and asked what their best odds were, I suspect the answer might be, 'what odds would you like'...

Still, must follow the evidence trail and see where it leads!

You just need to keep an appropriate sense of humour, all along the madness of our journey...

Because these people also had a starscope and probably a monocular...
Not all three, at the exact same time though...

HALT: 03:15. Now we've got an object about 10 degrees directly south, 10 degrees off the horizon. And the ones to the north are
moving. One's moving away from us.

VOICE: Moving out fast.

VOICE: This one on the right's heading away, too.

Not all three, at the exact same time though...
"What ‍could ‍cause ‍stars ‍apparently ‍to ‍move ‍towards ‍or ‍away ‍from ‍the ‍observer? ‍The ‍answer ‍is ‍obscuration ‍by ‍thin, ‍moving ‍cloud. ‍The ‍resulting ‍changes ‍in ‍the ‍brightness ‍of ‍a ‍star ‍can ‍give ‍the ‍false ‍impression ‍of ‍approach ‍(brightening) ‍or ‍recession ‍(dimming)."
See this page:

http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rendlesham3.html
Also Point 15 on this page
http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/halttape-analysis2.html
I have referenced these pages before. Is nobody reading them?

...mistaking illusion for reality, which is the error at the heart of so many UFO sightings.
Of course it is and I once came across a classic example of scintillating stars ultimately being shown as an explanation for a publicised, 'UFO' sighting.

Might have dated from the 1950s.

The question here is... what if in one instance, it wasn't a star at all...

Is that impossible...?

Sort of, kinda thing, like...

Burroughs' going on about getting the radio net tape, is naturally, for an age-old ufologist like myself, something which intrigues...

Still no explanation offered for Burroughs confirming the beams....?
Well, my post 1191 examines this, to some extent.

Burroughs saw something quite different to Halt; Burroughs saw something fly into the window of the truck, which is a very strange sighting indeed.

Halt stated that the object was hundreds of feet above the ground.

So, no, we can't really say that these two sightings confirm each other. I've postulated that Burroughs may have had access to the starscope, and that he saw the strange lens flare I've reproduced twice in this thread now; but if he didn't (and I don't think he has ever mentioned the starscope, so it seems unlikely) then I have no explanation for Burroughs' window-penetrating apparition. Are we really saying that the Rendlesham UAP was small enough to enter a truck window?

Where did it come from, G'Gugvuntts?

Because these people also had a starscope and probably a monocular, the apparent movement may also be explained by misuse of these two instruments, both of which were hand-held and both of which magnified the involuntary arm movements of the people using them. ...
That's a critical point that remains an open issue. Until and unless one knows which (if any) such instrument was being used at the time of a reported observation it's effectively impossible to specify the range of possible visual effects that must be ruled out to be confident about what was being seen.

I have referenced these pages before. Is nobody reading them?
Of course, however, this does not satisfactory explain why, even if three people are confused at the precise same moment, one of them thinks he is seeing a beam of light descending, whilst someone next to him evidently sees an apparition at, again at the same time, prompting an exclamation about colours being observed.

We also still have to rationalise why another person, Burroughs, who we know was nearby, confirms watching Halt's light beam anomaly himself.

The reports of visible "beams" need to be evaluated not only in the context of any instruments being employed for a given observation but also the environmental conditions.

I remain surprised how little attention has been given to the claims there was ground fog and / or generally foggy conditions on both the primary incidents' nights.

Until and unless one knows which (if any) such instrument was being used at the time of a reported observation it's effectively impossible to specify the range of possible visual effects that must be ruled out to be confident about what was being seen.
That will remain forever a mystery, I'm afraid. Even the people who witnessed this would not remember this accurately enough to be certain. But we can note that only one person seems to mention the beams at any one time, and it is a different person to the one who notices the colours.

RE: Helicopter / VTOL Drones

Before I forget it ... Burroughs himself (or someone using his name) posted on the UFOwaves forum back in 2009 claiming the 67th Rescue / Recovery Squadron hoisted something out of the forest at some point during the December 1980 incident period and carried it to one or another of the Twin Bases.

He even cites the Wideye, Wisp and Sprite drones as examples for what he saw or may have seen. He claims the Sprite was operational as of December 1980 (a claim I can't confirm).

However, it's not clear whether he's alluding to such drones (or something similar) as the mystery object or the platform used to recover and move the mystery object.

http://ufowaves.org/rendlesham/Rend...ncident.co.uk/forum/viewtopicfb62.html?p=5730

Burroughs saw something quite different to Halt; Burroughs saw something fly into the window of the truck, which is a very strange sighting indeed.
Two completely different things.

You are involving his seperate account of what happened aside from Halt's adventures.

That account is off the scale crazy and something which simply has never been addressed in context.

For sure, we have Bustinza's story in addition to Burroughs' brief anecdote and Burroughs confirms Bustinza was with him.

That's about it though...

Unless you want to include all the other disproven tales of actual meetings with aliens that night...

This aspect is an evidential mess.

Actually, so is the rest when you think about it...

Just so long as we don't take it all too seriously - even though it might come across like that sometimes - and allow for the words of a wise man, who most certainly had related investigative experience:

"People with a psychological need to believe in marvels are no more prejudiced and gullible than people with a psychological need not to believe in marvels".

Charles Fort.

Before I forget it ... Burroughs himself (or someone using his name) posted on the UFOwaves forum back in 2009 claiming the 67th Rescue / Recovery Squadron hoisted something out of the forest at some point during the December 1980 incident period and carried it to one or another of the Twin Bases.
What a find!

That's John for absolute certain - I recognise the grammar!

All evidence and I have a substantial number re correspondence from those involved with the 67th during that Christmas holiday period, refutes the supposition.

How fascinating though to see his take on this.

One example from my records:

"I was physically there on that date in December. I was in charge of the helicopters HH-53's. None of my helicopters were flying because of the holidays".

Mike Bird, NCOIC, 67th ARRS Helicopter Section, Retired.

Before I forget it ... Burroughs himself (or someone using his name) posted on the UFOwaves forum back in 2009 claiming the 67th Rescue / Recovery Squadron...
Has he perhaps forgotten his own report of smaller, twin-blade helicopters, not from the base, operating in that area, shortly afterwards?

I have directly extracted the following, related, from our correspondence:

"One more thing Mike Jenkins statement makes no sense what so ever. The Woodbridge WSA was not being used as a WSA period. Plus no one would have been working on Sun mourning. We did not have anyone posted there we only made checks on it. The only thing in there was regular munitions. The only way it makes sense is if something was recovered and was stored there. And the personnel there were the people who came in to check out the scene. Yes there were people brought in and they were out in the forest for days. I was even posted on the east gate for 3 days from 1500-2300 while helicopters and personnel were out in the area. I was told not to call anything in no matter what I saw. The reason I was put out there was because I had been involved in the incident".

"Single blades and it was a C-5 and it came on Sun and the helos were Mon-Wed".

"Yes they could have come from the C-5. They did not come from the base single rotor. Can't remember the size...Yes the C-5 departed the base after".

"The forest where the incident happened... It looked like they were doing a search of the area...it looked like they were searching the area from the air. I was given that order by the Shift Commander and Flight Chief they stated there was no reason to say anything because they the base already knew what was going on. Hope this helps".

He did also note having no evidence this was associated with our previous incidents.

His shift Commander was Mike Turner, who I was able to contact and basically replied it was all such a long time ago and my best source of information was a Lt Col Halt...

Has he perhaps forgotten his own report of smaller, twin-blade helicopters, not from the base, operating in that area, shortly afterwards?
I don't know. I was gobsmacked when searching for info on VTOL / helo drones from the period and got a hit on Rendlesham - from one of the documented witnesses, no less ...

I didn't delve into the archived UFOWaves forum to see what else Burroughs had posted. For all I know there's a bunch more Burroughs stuff sitting there.

Last edited:
...these documents from the UK UFO files explain why the MoD never investigated....
Taking my lead from David Clarke's fabulous work, I have been researching any UFO related documents within the Scottish government archives.

I have come across a file related to the incidents and their own investigation - obvious concerns re RAF bases in Scotland at that time.

It only contains a single page confirming their conclusions and reads, "AYE, NAE BOTHER"...

You are involving his separate account of what happened aside from Halt's adventures.
Well, that may be so, but what we need to do is establish where Burroughs was when Halt saw his beams and apparently moving lights. Burroughs does not appear on the tape in any significant way, and the tape is our best evidence - so where was he? If he was significantly distant from Halt he can't confirm what Halt saw.

Well, that may be so, but what we need to do is establish where Burroughs was when Halt saw his beams and apparently moving lights. Burroughs does not appear on the tape in any significant way, and the tape is our best evidence - so where was he? If he was significantly distant from Halt he can't confirm what Halt saw.
And we also need confirmation that he is't just repeating what he heard from others. Hearsay bedevils investigations like this, and we don't have a written statement from him like we do for Night One.

It appears to be coming towards them, which is not the same thing. You are mistaking illusion for reality, which is the error at the heart of so many UFO sightings. The stars no more moved than did the lighthouse, which was also reported as approaching and receding.
The point is not that the light was apparently moving towards them on the same bearing, but that it appeared to move over them, which implies a considerable angular change, as I pointed out. It may be some bizarre illusion but I know of no psychological mechanism that could have that effect. The physical response is also different, i.e. if you see an aircraft heading towards you you will eventually have to crane your neck considerably to keep it in view. It must have been apparently overhead as is implied by the claim that it was sending down a beam just in front of the witnesses.

He even cites the Wideye, Wisp and Sprite drones as examples for what he saw or may have seen. He claims the Sprite was operational as of December 1980 (a claim I can't confirm).

However, it's not clear whether he's alluding to such drones (or something similar) as the mystery object or the platform used to recover and move the mystery object.

http://ufowaves.org/rendlesham/Rendlesham Incident Forum/www.rendlesham-incident.co.uk/forum/viewtopicfb62.html?p=5730
Now that is interesting! Suppose that there was a black project crash and they were using such drones to search for it and give guidance to searchers, then maybe Penniston and Burroughs did see one of the drones and they had to be encouraged to report it as something ET, no doubt with narcohypnotic methods.
It certainly strikes me as odd that although some individuals reportedly visited the alleged landing site unofficially, there was no attempt to study the site systematically until Halt and co went out on the spur of the moment the next night, with geiger counter at the ready. Another odd feature is the failure of all the special light-alls which might, had they been deployed, have been capable of identifying the strange lights as actually more drones! Just a suggestion..

It must have been apparently overhead as is implied by the claim that it was sending down a beam just in front of the witnesses.
My contention is that the starscope probably caused these apparent beams; the lens flare in that .gif I keep posting is a long, thin stream of smaller flares, that seems to track directly towards the observer. That, I believe, is the reason for the apparent beam phenomenon, beaming straight down at their feet. It is much more likely than a real beam of any kind coming down from a real UFO, or even from a drone; that is just pulp fiction.

I think that the apparent movement towards the observer is caused by the magnification of the same instrument, and the magnification of the monocular, assuming that existed. The smaller movements of the stars as seen without the magnifying lenses would be caused by autokinesis, and (as suggested by Ian Ridpath earlier) by shifting, thin clouds. All these phenomena are well attested, and would easily fool anyone who did not habitually view the stars in such conditions.

And we also need confirmation that he is't just repeating what he heard from others. Hearsay bedevils investigations like this...
Only yesterday, I watched part of a video which came up as a YouTube suggestion - presumably because I had previously searched for, 'Bentwaters'.

It was a lengthy video interview with John Lear, during which he was asked what sparked his interest in UFOs, etc.

He explained it was a chance meeting with a fellow pilot, who flew A-10s out of RAF Bentwaters during the era of our incidents and who had told him first hand about a meeting between the base commander and aliens.

An online search revealed the background of how said pilot had heard this story at sometime in the dormitory...

That aside, I have found this and seems to exhaust my contributions from correspondence with John Burroughs, some 2O years ago.

Burroughs wrote:

"...he was standing by the light alls when one of the objects Halt and the LT who got him from the party pointed out to me in the Sky came at us went over our heads headed straight at the light alls...".

As we know, the, "LT who got him from the party", was Bruce Englund.

This implies Burroughs was with him...?

As mentioned to Carl, we can only make any true sense of the debatable issues with more evidence and one is about to embark on a related blitz of every conceivable source!

The point is not that the light was apparently moving towards them on the same bearing, but that it appeared to move over them,
As I have pointed out repeatedly, the claim that the light moved over them was made later by Halt, by when he was embellishing the story for the media. On the tape, he only ever refers to it as being about 5-10° off the horizon, over Woobridge. How carefully have you read the transcript, if at all?

That aside, I have found this and seems to exhaust my contributions from correspondence with John Burroughs, some 2O years ago.
Lastly, re the Burroughs archives, he claimed that there was a, 'lot missing' from Halt's recording about what happened at 03:15

It's an interesting point, which I had thought about.

If we consider the recording from 03:15:

One's moving away from us.

"They're both heading north. Hey, here he comes from the south, he's coming toward us now.

(...)

"Now we're observing what appears to be a beam coming down to the ground".
(End)

Halt's next taped note is at 03:30:

"...and the objects are still in the sky, although the one to the south looks like it's losing a little bit of altitude".
(End)

Was there nothing of consequence, during the intervening fifteen minutes, worth recording...

...or as Burroughs might, conceivably, be insinuating, Halt wasn't in a situation where making another taped note was his first thought...

So, as things stand, there's this, 'pencil-thin beam of light' and that's it? Nothing else immediately afterwards, worth documenting, happens?

An extraordinary moment, captured forever, whatever the explanation!

As I have pointed out repeatedly, the claim that the light moved over them was made later by Halt, by when he was embellishing the story for the media. On the tape, he only ever refers to it as being about 5-10° off the horizon, over Woobridge. How carefully have you read the transcript, if at all?
He may have referred to it initially being 5-10 deg off the horizon, but it is clear from the tape that he is claiming that it came over them -- otherwise why link it with the beam of light that came down in front of them?

Halt: .......... Hey, here he comes from the south--he's coming towards us now!

Unknown: Weird.

Halt: Now we're observing what appears to be a beam coming down to the ground.

The light that they had seen in the south is now approaching from the south, coming towards them as he speaks, then they observe a beam coming down to the ground. I think that is the interpretation anyone with no prior knowledge of this case would place upon these words. In this context I don't think it fair to accuse Halt of changing his testimony when he described the event in more detail afterwards.

A new discovery in my case files, this is perhaps of interest?

Col. Halt’s Seminar at St George’s Community College

August 1997

Richard Hall introduction:

Our next speaker is Charles Halt, Colonel, Air Force, retired. Today he is a property manager, condominium in northern Virginia. And I think you are going to find his talk to be quite fascinating. He was involved in one of the, personally involved in one of the, classic UFO sightings of modern time. Very complex situation, which he can describe to you.

(...)

"The best way I can describe the beam is a laser beam, because a light beam normally radiates out. This came down steady. And it was six to eight, or maybe nine inches in diameter and fell right at our feet.

Well, that really had us upset. Because we weren’t sure whether it was a warning, whether it was, you know, a, a shot at us, whether it was somebody trying to communicate, or what it was.

We had no idea, and we just stood there and looked, and nobody said anything. And all of a sudden, as fast as it came on, it just, clicked [snaps fingers], it was gone. And the object receded.

Now the object, when it receded, was back over Bentwaters Base, and we could see beams of light coming down there, near the weapons storage area. And we could hear the chatter on the radio. The people over there could actually see the beams of light too".

The obvious question being, at which point did this:

"HALT: 04:00 hours. One object still hovering over Woodbridge base..".

....become RAF Bentwaters?

I have wondered if it was conceivable, especially in relation to Halt's taped observation re the location of our star-like objects, when he said, "Woodbridge base", this was a 'generic' reference to the twin-base complex and not specifically RAF Woodbridge?

If perhaps possible, it would make a whole lot of sense re other issues.

However, here we have Halt using the phrase, 'Bentwaters base' and it does seem quite clear.

There is one other alternative, he simply made an error on tape... would that work, or definitely not?

A new discovery in my case files, this is perhaps of interest?

Col. Halt’s Seminar at St George’s Community College

August 1997

Richard Hall introduction:

Our next speaker is Charles Halt, Colonel, Air Force, retired. Today he is a property manager, condominium in northern Virginia. And I think you are going to find his talk to be quite fascinating. He was involved in one of the, personally involved in one of the, classic UFO sightings of modern time. Very complex situation, which he can describe to you.

(...)

"The best way I can describe the beam is a laser beam, because a light beam normally radiates out. This came down steady. And it was six to eight, or maybe nine inches in diameter and fell right at our feet.

Well, that really had us upset. Because we weren’t sure whether it was a warning, whether it was, you know, a, a shot at us, whether it was somebody trying to communicate, or what it was.

We had no idea, and we just stood there and looked, and nobody said anything. And all of a sudden, as fast as it came on, it just, clicked [snaps fingers], it was gone. And the object receded.

Now the object, when it receded, was back over Bentwaters Base, and we could see beams of light coming down there, near the weapons storage area. And we could hear the chatter on the radio. The people over there could actually see the beams of light too".

The obvious question being, at which point did this:

"HALT: 04:00 hours. One object still hovering over Woodbridge base..".

....become RAF Bentwaters?

I have wondered if it was conceivable, especially in relation to Halt's taped observation re the location of our star-like objects, when he said, "Woodbridge base", this was a 'generic' reference to the twin-base complex and not specifically RAF Woodbridge?

If perhaps possible, it would make a whole lot of sense re other issues.

However, here we have Halt using the phrase, 'Bentwaters base' and it does seem quite clear.

There is one other alternative, he simply made an error on tape... would that work, or definitely not?
Given that they were in what must have seemed a bizarre and scary situation, I would imagine that the odd verbal error might not be unexpected. But this extract certainly clarifies an issue that I had previously with his evidence, the apparent conflict between the two descriptions of the light beam as (1) like a laser and (2) several inches in diameter.

Back