• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

British Bigfoot?

Ah! You mean it was a paper Tiger?
I don't know how you are on faerie lore, and I certainly didn't know at the time, but I think what I witnessed is what is called "glamour". It is a form of illusion. During my encounter, the closer I approached the "butterfly" the more it folded itself. When I was about 10 feet away it looked weirdly 2D, but when I approached to within 4 foot it had folded into 3D. As a kid I remember thinking that what I was looking at was more than a little "silly" at the time, as I had no basis of comparison, and it looked unrealistic, like a bad special effect. For all I know I had unwittingly inhaled a poison I was unaware of, and was hallucinating, but I was certainly wide awake when my dad and his friend started crashing thru the brush towards me and startled the pixie. It heard their approach and fluttered rapidly up the dry riverbed where the encounter took place. I could both see it and hear its wings, but it made no other noise. Scoff if you like, I can barely credit it myself, but the experience is pretty well etched in my consciousness, and I would be lying if I said I didn't experience it. I certainly don't rule out other explanations, such as a hallucinatory episode, however. I haven't been prone to those outside this single event.

Last edited:
Scoff if you like, I can barely credit it myself, but the experience is pretty well etched in my consciousness, and I would be lying if I said I didn't experience it. I certainly don't rule out other explanations, such as a hallucinatory episode, however. I haven't been prone to those outside this single event.
'AlchoPwn,' I can tell - for one, that you're account of what you witnessed as a kid was real enough to you, no doubt there might well be 'other explanations' for what you saw, but you can only tell it how it was and how it seemed at the time. Sounds good to me!:boss:

2020-07-26 10.33.36.png

Whilst there are clearly no claims whatsoever as to any physical veracity regarding the above image, the instant I saw it I was reminded of this forum, and specifically this thread.

Mods, apologies if this is not considered appropriate (specifically here, or otherwise). If so, then please excise&chastise.

(ps if you seek the original source of the above image, search for the words 'bootleg circus' on Bitchute...possibly)

I suspect it may be a mushroom with poisonous spores. Something someone can breathe in without really noticing, and unexpectedly produce a hallucinogenic dose. If not a mushroom then something like a datura variant. Scopolamine, for example comes from a Datura family plant, and it makes people highly suggestible. So far I haven't narrowed the suspects down enough, but it isn't beyond all credibility that many cryptid sightings may in fact be linked to hallucinogens, a bit like DMT's reliably appearing "machine elves". I haven't reached any firm conclusions yet however, and if anyone reading this wants to suggest possible culprit plants and develop the idea, I would be grateful for any assistance, as while I have some linguistics and psychology background, ethnobotany is more of a hobby for me at best.
That would make a great sci fi story, reality warping when entering an alien forest

'Bigfoot sighting' in Merseyside was hoax created by wind-up teen
Ellie explained how she managed to convince Bigfoot believers across the world

A 19-year-old has unmasked herself as being behind a spate of Bigfoot sightings on Merseyside.

Ellie Marie Whitby, from Runcorn, managed to persuade her mum to dress up as the mythical creature and film her stalking the woodlands of West Kirby and Delamere Forest.

Ellie, who bought the costume online, uploaded some of the footage of her mum to several US-based Bigfoot believers groups on Facebook who confirmed that the film showed a genuine Yeti.

She said: “My favourite response was from one guy who said, ‘Ellie, I can with 100% certainty say that is a forest being.'”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/new...oot-sighting-merseyside-hoax-created-18614421

I actually think they are real and are flesh and blood.

And that's what the phenomena wants, it wants you to believe they are real, exactly the same with UFO's that's part of the fun for it watching us go on wild goose chases, calling in the Army and the police, it has always been with us, except people used to see black dogs now they see black panthers

And that's what the phenomena wants, it wants you to believe they are real, exactly the same with UFO's that's part of the fun for it watching us go on wild goose chases, calling in the Army and the police, it has always been with us, except people used to see black dogs now they see black panthers
I wonder, 'Robbrent,' have you yourself ever come across a phenomena?

The phenomena wants? What it's sentient?

People still see black dogs and they see big cats. People used to keep them as pets and people smuggle animals into countries this isn't paranormal it's fact. The practice was cut down by the dangerous Wild animals act 1976. Zoos/Wild life parks lose animals often - some are honest and report some don't.

From Wiki: these are animals that have been found:

A Canadian lynx shot in Devon in 1903 is now in the collection of the Bristol Museum.[7] Analysis of its teeth suggest that prior to its death it had spent a significant amount of time in captivity.[7]

In 1980 a puma was captured in Inverness-shire, Scotland. The capture followed several years of sightings in the area of a big cat matching the description of the one captured, which had led local farmer Ted Noble to erect a cage trap. The puma was subsequently put into the Highland Wildlife Park zoo and given the name "Felicity". When it died it was stuffed and was placed in Inverness Museum.[8] Zoo director Eddie Orbell concluded that the animal had been tamed and might not have been released for long, noting that it enjoyed being tickled.[9]

In 1989 a jungle cat that had been hit by a car was found on the roadside in Shropshire.[10]

In 1991 a Eurasian lynx was shot near Norwich, Norfolk. It had killed around 15 sheep within two weeks. The story was only reported in 2003, and the stuffed body of the lynx is allegedly now in the possession of a collector. For many years this incident was considered to have been a hoax, particularly by the hunting community, but in March 2006 a police report confirmed that the case was true. It was probably an escapee from a facility in the area that bred animals, including Eurasian lynxes.[11]

In 1994 it was reported that a large cat with leopard-pattern fur had been shot on the Isle of Wight some time earlier after feasting on chickens and ducks. The shooting was not immediately reported as the farm worker involved feared prosecution, but police reportedly concluded that the animal was an ocelot or serval.[citation needed]

There have been reports that in 1993 yet another puma was captured in Scotland, this time in the Aviemore area.[8][12]

In 1996, police in Fintona, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland shot a cat. It was reportedly a caracal, a medium-sized wildcat species found in Africa and Asia, although a police report described it as a lynx.[2][13] (Caracals are sometimes called desert lynxes, but are not true members of the genus Lynx.)[14]

In a well-reported 2001 case ("the Beast of Barnet"), a young female Eurasian lynx was captured alive by police and vets in Cricklewood, north-London, after a chase across school playing fields and into a block of flats. It was placed in London Zoo and given the name "Lara" before ultimately being transferred to a zoo in France to breed.[15][16] The captured lynx was found to be only 18 months old, although considerably larger than an average domestic cat.[2][17]

This list excludes escapes of short duration and known origin. Examples of this include an incident in Grimsby in 1991 when four lions managed to escape from a circus (or possibly were released) before being captured the same day.[18]

In November 2017, a trucker claimed to have seen three highways workers struggling to lift the body of a dead 4 foot black panther into the back of a truck in a lay-by on the A1 near Harworth.[19] However, Highways England responded with a statement to say that it was a dead black dog that they had loaded onto the back of the truck.[19]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_big_cats

These are all ABC's.

Last edited:
That's probably part of it. The issue (as usual) is that we tend to focus on single or blanket explanations, whereas in fact a multiplicity may apply. I do think there are F&B big cats in the UK, but not every sighting is an F&B big cat. I don't think there are F&B Bigfoots in the UK, but people see something that manifests very similarly to one, which in turn may well account for some sightings in North America, Australia, the Caucasus, etc, however in those places F&B creatures are far more feasible (bear in mind first nation people in both N America and Australia speak of distinct species, the living one they regard as another tribe, and the forest spirit one that can appear/disappear etc, so this is by no means new.)

We need to move away from theory-of-everything explanations. Explanation of A does not mean B is also case closed despite superficial similarities. And while we're at it, we need to be careful how we define "real". Electro-magnetic energy isn't flesh and blood either, but it's real.

Last edited:
There is also an increasing fashion for people to keep 'non standard' house cats. I once mistook (only for a second, due to perspective) my OWN ordinary household moggy for an ABC when I saw him walking across a field and he was a cat I knew very very well (RIP Abraxas).

Fashionable breeds like the Bengal, Savannah, Maine Coon, Forest cats...they are all bigger than standard and to someone who only caught a fleeting glimpse and wasn't familiar with them could easily mistake them for an ABC.

A tiny amount of Googling came up with this site https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/pets/g26898596/large-cat-breeds/ which seems to indicate that people are purposefully breeding large cats to 'cuddle up with'.

Cuddle some of those and you'll never play the violin again...

There is also an increasing fashion for people to keep 'non standard' house cats. I once mistook (only for a second, due to perspective) my OWN ordinary household moggy for an ABC when I saw him walking across a field and he was a cat I knew very very well (RIP Abraxas).

Fashionable breeds like the Bengal, Savannah, Maine Coon, Forest cats...they are all bigger than standard and to someone who only caught a fleeting glimpse and wasn't familiar with them could easily mistake them for an ABC.

A tiny amount of Googling came up with this site https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/pets/g26898596/large-cat-breeds/ which seems to indicate that people are purposefully breeding large cats to 'cuddle up with'.

Cuddle some of those and you'll never play the violin again...

Most of my cats are "non-standard" or pain in the arses.

Or, in the case of our late Norwegian Forest female, cuddle her and spend the next ten minutes trying to rearrange the shredded skin on your hands and legs. Grumpy madam, she was!

I can just about understand having a pet that's indifferent to you and will tolerate you as long as you ignore it other than to feed it, but the idea of a pet that's actively hostile towards you & will deliberately & with malice aforethought injure you, I don't get. If you're on a farm & want it to catch mice, fair enough.

can just about understand having a pet that's indifferent to you and will tolerate you as long as you ignore it other than to feed it, but the idea of a pet that's actively hostile towards you & will deliberately & with malice aforethought injure you, I don't get.

She wasn't actively hostile, she just tolerated affection on her own terms. Believe me, despite having been Bitey McBiteface, she's much missed.

I can just about understand having a pet that's indifferent to you and will tolerate you as long as you ignore it other than to feed it, but the idea of a pet that's actively hostile towards you & will deliberately & with malice aforethought injure you, I don't get. If you're on a farm & want it to catch mice, fair enough.

Doesn't mean she's hostile. Some cats get over-excited during petting or play.

I have a terrier who is hell on legs. She's fine to me (usually) but can be snappy towards other people, will kill anything smaller than she is and chases everything from tractor wheels to bumble bees. She is really NOT a pet in the traditional sense.

But I love every whisker on her dear little face. Not all pets are cuddly.

I wondered if this might be of related interest:

Am Fear Liath Mòr

In Scottish folklore, Am Fear Liath Mòr - Scottish Gaelic for '"Big Grey Man"' - also known as the Big Grey Man of Ben MacDhui or simply the Greyman) is the name of a presence or creature which is said to haunt the summit and passes of Ben Macdui, the highest peak of the Cairngorms...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am_Fear_Liath_Mòr

"Andy McGrath says there is plenty of space for Bigfoot communities to live without us knowing"

Sigh, no there isn't.

This isn't the Pacific Northwest. And in fairness there are many arguments that even the Pacific Norrthwest does not have the resources to sustain a Bigfoot community.

Woodwose, green man = giant man apes in the woods.

Which makes no sense.

Last edited:
"Andy McGrath says there is plenty of space for Bigfoot communities to live without us knowing"

Sigh, no there isn't.

This isn't the Pacific Northwest. And in fairness there are many arguments that even the Pacific Norrthwest does not have the resources to sustain a Bigfoot community.

Woodwose, green man = giant man apes in the woods.

Which makes no sense.
None whatsoever. Most of our countryside is farmland, unsuited to large wildlife. Lots of our forests ate pine plantations that are ecologically poor. The mountain forests of The Himalayas or the jungles of Indonesia could hide such creatures but they are not to be found romping about just outside of Newcastle or Ipswich.

None whatsoever. Most of our countryside is farmland, unsuited to large wildlife. Lots of our forests ate pine plantations that are ecologically poor. The mountain forests of The Himalayas or the jungles of Indonesia could hide such creatures but they are not to be found romping about just outside of Newcastle or Ipswich.
Yes, but what about paranormal Bigfoots? :smug:

Maybe in North Norfolk though.

Back