British Bigfoot?

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
At our last Edinburgh Fortean Society we had a speaker talking about Bigfoot in Scotland. I will be honest and say I wasn't really expecting to be impressed but the speaker was very compelling and the account of her initial sighting sounded almost exactly like something I have seen myself but couldn't put a name to. I reproduce it here for your interest/scorn.

A few months ago my husband and I went to Cardiff on holiday. We went by train and of course spent a fair amount of time looking out of the window. At some point, somewhere in England between Scotland and Wales (annoyingly I can't remember where) the train left a station and soon passed a wood with a field next to it. I saw something. I saw something weird. I only caught a glimpse as the train passed by. After a short space of time suitable between two people who don't quite know whether to say anything to each other or not, my husband looked at me. His expression suggested he had seen something weird but wasn't sure how to express it. I asked him if he had seen something weird and he said he had. I had seen a humanoid figure at the edge of the wood. I got the impression it was facing away from me but I am not sure how as it was entirely black. Not like someone wearing black clothes but like a total absence of that figure in the landscape (this is also how the bigfoot lady described the blackness of her creature). And it was freakishly large. I can't really say how big but just too big.

The really annoying part is – my husband now has absolutely no recollection of having seen this!

The blackness puts me in mind of the black stick men but mine wasn't very stick like and in fact pretty broad. Could the UK version of Bigfoot be the same or a similar phenomenon to the BSM?

Most of my Fortean experiences have been either really cool or interesting without being scary but this has rather disturbed me. :ghunt:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Does anyone else here remember a local to Manchester chap posting a vid of himself in some woods in Manchester a few years back on this site? .. he was swearing there was a Manc Bigfoot and that he'd seen it ...

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Yes. You did not dream it. I think he was Stockport area. He spoke of Bigfeet visiting him in his room but when he went to their place - the woods - they were much more shy.

I stumbled across the thread a few months back so it is still here. The videos were on Youtube but seem to have disappeared. :bear:

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Does anyone else here remember a local to Manchester chap posting a vid of himself in some woods in Manchester a few years back on this site? .. he was swearing there was a Manc Bigfoot and that he'd seen it ...
I remember this too. I can't remember if the train passed through Manchester but according to a map our speaker showed, Bigfoot has been seen pretty much everywhere in the UK apart from the Outer Hebrides and Shetland.

Ghost In The Machine

Abominable Snowman
I've tried to find it but can't. But one of the most interesting stories on the podcast 'Anything Ghost' was submitted by someone who went camping in Scotland and had a very eerie, Bigfootesque encounter. Sadly, it was probably more than ten episodes ago and older episodes are now behind a paywall but at the time I remember thinking it was absolutely one of the best stories on there, and I've been listening for years.

ginoide

Abominable Snowman
"The really annoying part is – my husband now has absolutely no recollection of having seen this!"

some years ago, I would say around 2000-2002, my wife, who was flying out to london or Frankfurt or some other bookfair, called me from the airport, super-alarmed, telling me she had seen a man with no eyes - no slits or anything either, just flat smooth skin where the eyes should have been. she was upset enough to call me and tell me that.
she went to the fair etc. and when she came back she denied the whole episode. and she still says that i dreamt the whole thing and it never happened and she never called . whereas she went as far as to go find a payphone (those were the days when cellphone calls were still super expensive) and call me.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
At our last Edinburgh Fortean Society we had a speaker talking about Bigfoot in Scotland. I will be honest and say I wasn't really expecting to be impressed but the speaker was very compelling and the account of her initial sighting sounded almost exactly like something I have seen myself but couldn't put a name to. I reproduce it here for your interest/scorn.

A few months ago my husband and I went to Cardiff on holiday. We went by train and of course spent a fair amount of time looking out of the window. At some point, somewhere in England between Scotland and Wales (annoyingly I can't remember where) the train left a station and soon passed a wood with a field next to it. I saw something. I saw something weird. I only caught a glimpse as the train passed by. After a short space of time suitable between two people who don't quite know whether to say anything to each other or not, my husband looked at me. His expression suggested he had seen something weird but wasn't sure how to express it. I asked him if he had seen something weird and he said he had. I had seen a humanoid figure at the edge of the wood. I got the impression it was facing away from me but I am not sure how as it was entirely black. Not like someone wearing black clothes but like a total absence of that figure in the landscape (this is also how the bigfoot lady described the blackness of her creature). And it was freakishly large. I can't really say how big but just too big.

The really annoying part is – my husband now has absolutely no recollection of having seen this!

The blackness puts me in mind of the black stick men but mine wasn't very stick like and in fact pretty broad. Could the UK version of Bigfoot be the same or a similar phenomenon to the BSM?

Most of my Fortean experiences have been either really cool or interesting without being scary but this has rather disturbed me. :ghunt:
How close d'you reckon you were to 'the thing' & did your husband see the same thing as you when you discussed it at the time? You say
"His expression suggested he had seen something weird but wasn't sure how to express it. I asked him if he had seen something weird and he said he had."
- but did he describe the same thing as you or something else or didn't he say exactly what he'd seen?

hunck

Justified & Ancient
"The really annoying part is – my husband now has absolutely no recollection of having seen this!"

some years ago, I would say around 2000-2002, my wife, who was flying out to london or Frankfurt or some other bookfair, called me from the airport, super-alarmed, telling me she had seen a man with no eyes - no slits or anything either, just flat smooth skin where the eyes should have been. she was upset enough to call me and tell me that.
she went to the fair etc. and when she came back she denied the whole episode. and she still says that i dreamt the whole thing and it never happened and she never called . whereas she went as far as to go find a payphone (those were the days when cellphone calls were still super expensive) and call me.
That is weird. Possibly, having seen something so unusual as to have never been seen before, your rational brain cannot accept it or process it, decides it never happened & doesn't bother saving the memory.

Or is it possible it was a dream? Are you sure you were wide awake when she called? Time of day etc.

ginoide

Abominable Snowman
That is weird. Possibly, having seen something so unusual as to have never been seen before, your rational brain cannot accept it or process it, decides it never happened & doesn't bother saving the memory.

Or is it possible it was a dream? Are you sure you were wide awake when she called? Time of day etc.
It was in the morning, I was wide awake getting ready for work. not a dream. I think she blocked the memory.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
How close d'you reckon you were to 'the thing' & did your husband see the same thing as you when you discussed it at the time? You say - but did he describe the same thing as you or something else or didn't he say exactly what he'd seen?
You know I rather wish you hadn't asked that, especially after the mention of werewolves as when I described it to him he said he has seen it too but that he thought the figure was more dog-shaped. :wide:

As to how far away, difficult to judge distances but it was close-ish. Not right next to the train but not off in the distance either.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
"she denied the whole episode. and she still says that i dreamt the whole thing"

This and Min 's post reminded me of the slightly spooky experience I had, walking back through the woods from a beer festival with a friend around a year ago.
I was at another beer festival last weekend with the same friend and mentioned to him that it was almost exactly a year previously that I'd heard a voice and said something, but there was no-one there. At the time my friend said it had given him the creeps. Last week though he looked at me blankly and denied all knowledge of it.
My original post is on page 120 of the Minor Strangeness thread.

Last edited:

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
People have a tendency to blank out events they can't accept logically. It's a really annoying habit.

Yes. It's deeply annoying. As a kid in the early 80s I recall the day that the Early Warning Siren in Coventry went off by mistake. I can remember my parents, and all the neighbours, poking their heads out into the street to question what the hell was going on.

My parents do not remember this ever happening. For years I would bring this up and they wouldn't believe it ever happened. Then last year I actually proved it happened via a few online local news articles referencing the event.

Then of course they were all like 'Oh! Oh, you know I do vaguely remember *something* like that...'.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
You know I rather wish you hadn't asked that, especially after the mention of werewolves as when I described it to him he said he has seen it too but that he thought the figure was more dog-shaped. :wide:

As to how far away, difficult to judge distances but it was close-ish. Not right next to the train but not off in the distance either.
Good story. It'd be interesting to go back there & see if there's some combination of things - trees, bushes, landscape, that add up to a pareidolia effect viewed from the right place, but since you don't know exactly where it was, it'll probably have to remain 'one of those things'.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Good story. It'd be interesting to go back there & see if there's some combination of things - trees, bushes, landscape, that add up to a pareidolia effect viewed from the right place, but since you don't know exactly where it was, it'll probably have to remain 'one of those things'.
Yes, I was wondering that too. Unfortunately a train journey to Cardiff from Edinburgh is not a small thing so unlikely we will be doing it again soon. Well, not now the Dr Who exhibition has closed..

henry

still speeding
People have a tendency to blank out events they can't accept logically. It's a really annoying habit.
people can also have a habit of humouring you when you say youve seen something weird, or they werent quite sure what you meant or didnt quite hear what you said ... when it comes to recounting it later this can result in a raised eyebrow ...

hunck

Justified & Ancient
people can also have a habit of humouring you when you say youve seen something weird, or they werent quite sure what you meant or didnt quite hear what you said ... when it comes to recounting it later this can result in a raised eyebrow ...
That's more understandable, depending on the level of weirdness involved.

Seeing something, phoning someone to tell them about it, then later having no memory of it & accusing them of dreaming it, is surely on another level entirely.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
When I was a kid we were visiting relatives in Bispham, Blackpool. Both families were walking on the road parallel to but one behind the promenade towards Norbreck (for anyone who knows where I mean). Reaching the corner at the end of the road a man passed us with no mouth, no slit, just smooth skin like nothing should have been there. Me and my cousin both saw it and looked at each other shocked. We tried telling our parents but they said we were being stupid.

Years later I asked my cousin about it and he has no recollection. Perhaps it is a false memory generated by my mind or perhaps we did see it and he has blocked it out. As a random memory to it, I even remember being treated and having a packet of 'Munchies' from the shop!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
When I was a kid we were visiting relatives in Bispham, Blackpool. Both families were walking on the road parallel to but one behind the promenade towards Norbreck (for anyone who knows where I mean). Reaching the corner at the end of the road a man passed us with no mouth, no slit, just smooth skin like nothing should have been there. Me and my cousin both saw it and looked at each other shocked. We tried telling our parents but they said we were being stupid.

Years later I asked my cousin about it and he has no recollection. Perhaps it is a false memory generated by my mind or perhaps we did see it and he has blocked it out. As a random memory to it, I even remember being treated and having a packet of 'Munchies' from the shop!

henry

still speeding
Seeing something, phoning someone to tell them about it, then later having no memory of it & accusing them of dreaming it, is surely on another level entirely.
different scenario ... you dont seem sure of which airport she was at (or flying to ?) during the call what else did she talk to you about ?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I can think of several occasions when people have told me about strange events, later to deny them. For some of us, anomalies become a fascination and the subject of study, however inconclusive. The vast majority of people deal with them by ignoring them and forgetting them.

It does tend to make you seem like a fantasist if you have retained a clear memory of the night two friends were followed home by a small UFO, when they themselves have none. :alien:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
different scenario ... you dont seem sure of which airport she was at (or flying to ?) during the call what else did she talk to you about ?
Wasn't me - it was ginoides post no 8. I was just commenting on the weirdness.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I can think of several occasions when people have told me about strange events, later to deny them. For some of us, anomalies become a fascination and the subject of study, however inconclusive. The vast majority of people deal with them by ignoring them and forgetting them.
This has been my frustrating experience too. Even members of my family have clammed up when I asked them to repeat what they'd told me years earlier about strange occurrences. In their case, it might be 'the religion' holding them back.

henry

still speeding
Wasn't me - it was ginoides post no 8. I was just commenting on the weirdness.
ah yes, just thinking the "miscommunication" on the call may have been a matter of emphasis ... the party at the airport has a number of things to sort out prior to flying, calls home, happens to mention a guy who walks past ... "jesus its like that guy has no eyes, nothing" ... the listening party, just woken up, a little bleary, latches onto that part of the exchange, lodges in their memory ... to the other party it was just a throwaway remark, as soon as the guy had cleared it was forgotten ... as to whether he actually had eyes or not, who knows