• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

Hi @Swifty,
Thanks for the offer of putting me in contact with the old personnel at the hotel. I'd certainly like to have a chat with them especially if things have been happening in the last five or so years. During my survey, I've had to take at face value establishments who say "nothing experienced." There was only one occasion when two people had disagreements.
You're welcome and I've sent the ex manager a pm to ask her if she's into talking with you Paul. She manages a different hotel these days so might also have stories about that place as well with a bit of luck.

I've been sorting and shredding some of my grandmother's old paperwork I'd had hanging around since she died in 2015. I found some interesting things including a cutting from the Kent Messenger dated May 2, 1974 about the Grey Lady of Ruxley.
She had told me that when she was a child she was sharing a bed with her sister and they woke one night to see an old woman at the end of the bed. I think she was 8 or 9 years old at the time. Her family were living in a farm cottage at Manor Farm, Ruxley (now called Ruxley Manor) and I think she kept it because it was near the subject of the clipping.

grey lady text.jpg
grey lady church.jpggrey lady cottage.jpg

I've been sorting and shredding some of my grandmother's old paperwork I'd had hanging around since she died in 2015. I found some interesting things including a cutting from the Kent Messenger dated May 2, 1974 about the Grey Lady of Ruxley.
She had told me that when she was a child she was sharing a bed with her sister and they woke one night to see an old woman at the end of the bed. I think she was 8 or 9 years old at the time. Her family were living in a farm cottage at Manor Farm, Ruxley (now called Ruxley Manor) and I think she kept it because it was near the subject of the clipping.

View attachment 58799View attachment 58800View attachment 58801
So is this Ruxley Manor that’s now a garden centre? The first building looks like the one by the car park that I’ve never seen used and isn’t the main building connected to a (children’s) nursery? I’m not sure do a family live there too?

The local pub. It's not just the patrons that are frightening, there are a number of reputed ghosts that haunt the halls and cellars of it, one a former barmaid who is known to make frequent appearances.
Some years ago, an American t.v crew from a show called 'My Ghost Story' came and did a piece there. Unfortunately, I can't find the clip anywhere.
Lately, the well known Tim the Yowie Man has begun to do ghost tours and weekend stays there a couple of times a year.

Edit: Although I couldn't find the 'My Ghost Story' clip, I did come across this one by a couple of ghost hunters/urban explorers:

Also, Tim the Yowie Mans page on his ghost weekends:

https://www.yowieman.com.au/tours/overnight-experiences/haunted-bundanoon/

Last edited:
Haunted Farnham.
A celebration of ghosts and haunting in Farnham over Halloween week 26th – 31st October 2022. Featuring an academic symposium, film screening and the launch of a new ghost walk.

Registration for the event, at the University for the Creative Arts, Farnham, is free, if any of you Forteans are in the area:

https://hauntedfarnham.com/

Haunted Farnham.
A celebration of ghosts and haunting in Farnham over Halloween week 26th – 31st October 2022. Featuring an academic symposium, film screening and the launch of a new ghost walk.

Registration for the event, at the University for the Creative Arts, Farnham, is free, if any of you Forteans are in the area:

https://hauntedfarnham.com/
I used to live in a haunted house in Farnham. I probably keep harping on about it on these boards.

I think it is. This looks like the house in the photo, fifty years on. The disused church is about 225m. from the house.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.413...4!1shTwuyvKl99VQSCH644mclg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
At the top of the car park.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.411...4!1sPFlqfsI4jeH-u8zk4B07hg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Planted (at least it was once) with a garden filled with the sort of plants that would have been grown at the time.

Pan right to the "Manor" which doesn't look like the other house in the article. It was lived in when the garden centre first opened IIRC it was one of the first in the country, not sure whether it still is.

Not in my home town... but is this the most haunted place in the US?

I think they left because of that guy's beard.
And the way he moves his hands around when he talks.

Serously, lots of places in the US are losing population because of poor job prospects and a lack of basic services like housing and medical care.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've been watching a lot of YouTube this week, and Curious World in particular.

I currently live in Yorkshire, but came here via Crewkerne in Somerset, where I lived for a number of years. Curious World had two ghost stories, one featuring a white apparition on the road to Crewkerne (which Curious World managed to nail down to a road between East Chinnock and Merriot) and another about a ghost in an old hotel in Yeovil, plus bonus story of a mysterious death in the same hotel (not thought to be the ghost, dead man was, well, a man, and the ghost is supposedly a woman).

Despite having lived in Crewkerne and Montacute for a good while, I had never heard either of these stories before! I used to drive from Montacute to Crewkerne to work most days, and pass near the place where the apparition was sighted (quite often in the dark) and I wish I'd known about it back then, because I would have kept an eye out.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've been watching a lot of YouTube this week, and Curious World in particular.

I currently live in Yorkshire, but came here via Crewkerne in Somerset, where I lived for a number of years. Curious World had two ghost stories, one featuring a white apparition on the road to Crewkerne (which Curious World managed to nail down to a road between East Chinnock and Merriot) and another about a ghost in an old hotel in Yeovil, plus bonus story of a mysterious death in the same hotel (not thought to be the ghost, dead man was, well, a man, and the ghost is supposedly a woman).

Despite having lived in Crewkerne and Montacute for a good while, I had never heard either of these stories before! I used to drive from Montacute to Crewkerne to work most days, and pass near the place where the apparition was sighted (quite often in the dark) and I wish I'd known about it back then, because I would have kept an eye out.
That was strange;
having just read your post, I went to look at Yeovil and Montacute on google earth. I would have sworn that you'd written ''Yeovil, which is on the A30'' (which I didn't know). I then went to look at the map to find that the A30 does indeed go through Yeovil, and then back to your post to find that you apparently hadn't mentioned the A30 at all.
Am I cracking up?

There is a Polish restaurant in town which was at one time a pub. A friend of ours goes there quite often, and the women who work there told him they are scared to death of staying till closing time which is midnight, they said it is horribly haunted. They refuse to stay alone to lock up, so a few of them have to lock the place up and then make a run for it.
Interesting that this restaurant is right across the street from our local river.

There is a Polish restaurant in town which was at one time a pub. A friend of ours goes there quite often, and the women who work there told him they are scared to death of staying till closing time which is midnight, they said it is horribly haunted. They refuse to stay alone to lock up, so a few of them have to lock the place up and then make a run for it.
Interesting that this restaurant is right across the street from our local river.
I wonder with places like these whether the activity is there all the time but is only noticed when the place empties out or whether whatever causes the haunting only arrives when most people leave?

I wonder with places like these whether the activity is there all the time but is only noticed when the place empties out or whether whatever causes the haunting only arrives when most people leave?
Interesting, the haunted building I lived in was active late at night, when everything was quiet.

That was strange;
having just read your post, I went to look at Yeovil and Montacute on google earth. I would have sworn that you'd written ''Yeovil, which is on the A30'' (which I didn't know). I then went to look at the map to find that the A30 does indeed go through Yeovil, and then back to your post to find that you apparently hadn't mentioned the A30 at all.
Am I cracking up?
I'd claim this as a telepathic incident, except that I'm not even sure that I knew Yeovil was on the A30.

I'd claim this as a telepathic incident, except that I'm not even sure that I knew Yeovil was on the A30.
Very odd. I even checked to see if someone else had mentioned Yeovil and the A30 and I'd read a different post and got mixed up. When I went on google maps and saw Yeovil, the first thing I looked for was the A30 which I wouldn't have normally done as I didn't know it ran through there - wth?!

Turns out the A30 is a haunted road!

The article claims the oddness is centred on the evocatively named Windwhistle Hill - pretty sure I've driven that way a few times.
And don't forget that the original A30 ran on a different alignment in places. For eg the B3400 from Basingstoke to Andover and then the A343 to Lompcombe corner was the A30 pre 1933. Might be worth researching some of these old routes.

I've had a very strange day even by my standards.

Turns out the A30 is a haunted road!

The article claims the oddness is centred on the evocatively named Windwhistle Hill - pretty sure I've driven that way a few times.
I've spoken somewhere on here about my possible experience on Windwhistle Hill.... a very desolate and deserted spot it was, back in the early 90's.

I've spoken somewhere on here about my possible experience on Windwhistle Hill.... a very desolate and deserted spot it was, back in the early 90's.

I see - it was mentioned on the disembodied running legs thread;

In Charles Whynne-Hammond's book Ten Somerset Mysteries there's a whole chapter on Windwhistle hill and the weird things that have happened there. I couldn't find anything about a sighting of the lower half of a cyclist but he says there have been reports of a disembodied hand hovering above the roadway 'in a luminous haze'.

The pub seems to be doing OK:

https://www.windwhistleinn.co.uk/

And don't forget that the original A30 ran on a different alignment in places. For eg the B3400 from Basingstoke to Andover and then the A343 to Lompcombe corner was the A30 pre 1933. Might be worth researching some of these old routes.

I've had a very strange day even by my standards.
It's weird that I'm reading this thread in bed and the A30 is about 40-50 yards away, I can hear the occasional vehicle go by...but no ghosts that I know of on this stretch!
Lopcombe corner though, not far from Leonard's grave a crossroads! Now they're always spooky

It's weird that I'm reading this thread in bed and the A30 is about 40-50 yards away, I can hear the occasional vehicle go by...but no ghosts that I know of on this stretch!
Lopcombe corner though, not far from Leonard's grave a crossroads! Now they're always spooky

Our son and daughter-in-law live in Hook just off the A30, so I often find myself driving down a stretch of this historic road, with its history of coaching routes, highwaymen ... and ghosts.
My wife likes antique shops, so we sometimes stop in the quaint village of Hartley Wintney, where the old Lamb Inn had a reputation for prolific hauntings. It's currently being renovated into a residential property and I'd love to know if the future occupants report anything spooky.
White Lion Antiques is an imposing building just outside Hartley Wintney, which I can remember when it was a pub. It's huge inside, with a restaurant and loads of memorabilia for sale spread over 3 floors. I often go up to the attic, where they keep their old vinyl records for sale. The owners gleefully talk about their resident ghost.

White Lion Antiques
@whitelioncentre

Antiques & Lifestyle Center steeped in History. Great food, three floors of furniture, antiques, collectables, gifts, vintage clothing jewellery & our own ghost
Hartley Wintney, Englandthewhitelionantiques.co.ukJoined January 2016
161 Following
89 Followers

hartleywintney_whitelion.jpg

Our son and daughter-in-law live in Hook just off the A30, so I often find myself driving down a stretch of this historic road, with its history of coaching routes, highwaymen ... and ghosts.
My wife likes antique shops, so we sometimes stop in the quaint village of Hartley Wintney, where the old Lamb Inn had a reputation for prolific hauntings. It's currently being renovated into a residential property and I'd love to know if the future occupants report anything spooky.
White Lion Antiques is an imposing building just outside Hartley Wintney, which I can remember when it was a pub. It's huge inside, with a restaurant and loads of memorabilia for sale spread over 3 floors. I often go up to the attic, where they keep their old vinyl records for sale. The owners gleefully talk about their resident ghost.

White Lion Antiques
@whitelioncentre

Antiques & Lifestyle Center steeped in History. Great food, three floors of furniture, antiques, collectables, gifts, vintage clothing jewellery & our own ghost
Hartley Wintney, Englandthewhitelionantiques.co.ukJoined January 2016
161 Following
89 Followers

View attachment 61489
I love nothing more than a good poke around antiques. I wish there were more places like that around here.

Back