• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I had a Cooplands* vegan stake-bake today.
It was quite tasty, the pastry was nice, but the filling didn't look even remotely like chunks of steak - they're not even trying!

* A local bakery chain, like Greggs.

:rofl:

And PETA knows all about killing cats:

“Data collected by Virginia's state government shows that PETA's euthanasia rates for cats and dogs at the shelter is exceptionally higher than other shelters in the state. In 2019, of 2,421 dogs and cats received at PETA's Norfolk shelter, 1,578 were euthanized, according to the most recent report from the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS).

…looking at the VDACS numbers of dogs and cats euthanized from 2019, he wrote, "In other words, PETA euthanized 57% of the dogs it took in and 72% of the cats."

...of the 49,737 dogs and cats PETA received between 1998 and 2019, 41,539 were killed.”

Etc.

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-peta-responsible-deaths-thousands-animals-1565532

maximus otter
I can't stand PETA, I just cannot agree that animals are better off dead than a pet :mad:

Some of their campaigns are absolutely ridiculous (like getting rid of fur costumes in video games, for instance, FFS), I wish they would concentrate on the more important issues. I'm sure there's an argument that it helps publicise things, but it just ends up making them look stupid, and turning people off :(

I had a Cooplands* vegan stake-bake today.
It was quite tasty, the pastry was nice, but the filling didn't look even remotely like chunks of steak - they're not even trying!

* A local bakery chain, like Greggs.
Get yourself to Morrisons- they do lovely vegan sausage rolls -£1.50 for two large ones at the deli counter (Nantwich @escargot).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-declaration-emphasises-value-meat-180404507.html
Meat is crucial for human health, scientists warn
Sarah Knapton

Meat is crucial for human health, scientists have warned, as they called for an end to the “zealotry” pushing vegetarian and vegan diets.

Dozens of experts were asked to look into the science behind claims that meat eating causes disease and is harmful for the planet in a special issue of Animal Frontiers.

They warned that it is difficult to replace the nutritional content of meat, arguing that poorer communities with low meat intake often suffer from stunting, wasting and anaemia driven by a lack of vital nutrients and protein.

In recent years, there has been a widespread societal push towards plant-based diets, with schemes such as Veganuary and meat-free Mondays encouraging the public away from meat.

The major Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries and Risk Factor Study, published in The Lancet in 2020, also suggested that a diet high in red meat was responsible for 896,000 deaths worldwide, and was the fifth leading dietary risk factor.

But researchers argue that unprocessed meat delivers most of the vitamin B12 intake in human diets, plays a major role in supplying retinol, omega-3 fatty acids and minerals such as iron and zinc, as well as important compounds for metabolism, such as taurine and creatine.
‘Fatally scientifically flawed’

In one paper published in the issue, experts found no good evidence to support red meat being dangerous below intakes of 75g per day, and argued that the link between red meat and disease vanished when part of a healthy diet, suggesting it was the rest of the diet that was fuelling health problems.

Dr Alice Stanton, of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, one of the authors of the review, said: “The peer-reviewed evidence published reaffirms that [the 2019 Global Burden of Disease Risk Factors Report] which claimed that consumption of even tiny amounts of red meat harms health is fatally scientifically flawed.

“In fact, removing fresh meat and dairy from diets would harm human health. Women, children, the elderly and low income would be particularly negatively impacted.”

The NHS also advises that red meat – such as beef, lamb and pork – is a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals and can form part of a balanced diet, although it warns that eating more than 90g per day can raise the risk of bowel cancer.

The new edition includes a declaration signed by nearly 1,000 scientists across the globe arguing that livestock farming was too important to society to “become the victim of zealotry”.

The Dublin Declaration includes signatories from the universities of Cambridge, Edinburgh, Bristol, Belfast, Newcastle, Nottingham, Surrey as well as several scientists from Britain’s world-leading agricultural and farming university Harper Adams.

“Livestock-derived foods provide a variety of essential nutrients and other health-promoting compounds, many of which are lacking in diets even among those populations with higher incomes,” the declaration states.

“Well-resourced individuals may be able to achieve adequate diets while heavily restricting meat, dairy and eggs. However, this approach should not be recommended for general populations.”

The researchers warned that those who need to eat animal products included young children, adolescents, pregnant and lactating women, women of reproductive age, older adults and the chronically ill.
‘One-size-fits-all agendas’

Dr Wilhelm Windisch, a farming nutrition expert at the Technical University of Munich, said: “Farmed and herded animals maintain a circular flow of materials in agriculture by using and upcycling large amounts of materials humans cannot eat, turning them into high-quality nutrient dense food.

“One-size-fits-all agendas, such as the drastic reductions of livestock numbers could incur environmental and nutritional consequences on a massive scale.”

The intervention was welcomed by the National Farmers Union (NFU) who were this week promoting Great British Beef Week.

Richard Findlay, the NFU livestock board chair, said: “This peer-reviewed research confirms what we’ve always known – that red meat is a quality, nutritious protein that plays a critical role in a healthy, sustainable balanced diet.

“During Great British Beef Week this week, we can celebrate the sustainability of British beef and the environmental benefits our grazing herds deliver.”

The Global Burden of Diseases team had not responded at the time of publication.

What if you do not like the taste of meat, like me, i eat plant based stuff and seem ok done so since about 2017, i drink skimmed milk or coconut milk, i still have eggs and cheese, and ice cream

In the interest of science I tried these, plus I got them in the cheapo/reduced section. I’m not sure they’d appeal much to actual veggies as they’re the ‘bloody’ type with beetroot juice, presumably to look more like steak. Not bad, with a meaty texture but won’t replace your venison steak. They seem aimed at meat eaters who want to cut down a bit.

1683206529072.png

In the interest of science I tried these, plus I got them in the cheapo/reduced section. I’m not sure they’d appeal much to actual veggies as they’re the ‘bloody’ type with beetroot juice, presumably to look more like steak. Not bad, with a meaty texture but won’t replace your venison steak. They seem aimed at meat eaters who want to cut down a bit.

View attachment 65912
I have those quite a lot, they're very useful for recreating steak recipes, I have a herb/spice rub I really like :)

i eat plant based stuff and seem ok done so since about 2017, i drink skimmed milk or coconut milk, i still have eggs and cheese, and ice cream
I reckon I've been doing OK since going totally vegetarian around 1985.
Can't give up cheese though and am tucking into some farmhouse Cheddar on a slice of sourdough right now.

I have those quite a lot, they're very useful for recreating steak recipes, I have a herb/spice rub I really like :)
I haven’t tried many of these sort of products but this was the most ‘meaty’ so far. Are you a veggie, or carnivore cutting down on meat consumption?

I haven’t tried many of these sort of products but this was the most ‘meaty’ so far. Are you a veggie, or carnivore cutting down on meat consumption?
I'm what I think is called 'flexitarian'; I'm vegan, but I refuse to be an a$$hole about it.

If I go to my mum's house, I don't expect her to get vegan milk in specially, I'll just have normal milk in my coffee: my best friend lives next door to a farm and they sometimes have meat or eggs going cheap and I sometimes take them up on it: if my kids fancy having pizza delivered, I'll have a slice or two (our local pizza place hasn't caught on to vegan cheese yet, and anyway, vegan cheese is not nice, some of it now is edible, but it's not nice, IMHO! ), but I prefer to only have ethically sourced, high welfare products, that's actually more important to me than whether people eat meat or not, I don't think animals should have to suffer and have unhappy lives, even if they're short ones.

View attachment 65912
They also do 'Shawarma' and 'Greek Kebab' pieces, but they do that thing that a lot of these companies do (whether vegan or not) and just coat the stuff in curry powder which isn't authentic 'kebab' style- not to me anyway.

Meatless Farm, This isn't, Garden Gourmet and Beyond are all very good but I can't get all their products here unfortunately.
I would say that the Beyond burgers are probably the best I've had of the lot, along with Meatless Farm sausages.

Whatever you do, don't attempt vegan cheese.
... or vegan vanilla ice cream. I was trying to sell it to the public last Summer and if you look up the word 'crumbly'? .. it's a massive pain in the arse to prepare. You use a scoop and everything collapses with it.

But beef is vegetarian isn't it?
I mean, cows eat grass don't they?
Not all cattle are grass-fed. Intensively-reared cattle are kept indoors for their entire lives and live on non-grass or forage high energy/protein feeds that don't include a blade of grass.

- Grains (wheat, or barley in particular)
- Food waste such as bread and cakes from factory rejects
- Soya

I looked into this recently after hearing from a reliable source about a businessman who supplied local schools with meat that stank of fish.
Turned out, Mr Farmer was feeding his cattle on fish factory waste rather than nice lush grass.
Nothing illegal of course. Just cheap, costcutting intensive rearing. It stinks.

I looked into this recently after hearing from a reliable source about a businessman who supplied local schools with meat that stank of fish.
Turned out, Mr Farmer was feeding his cattle on fish factory waste rather than nice lush grass.
Nothing illegal of course. Just cheap, costcutting intensive rearing. It stinks.
When I were a lad in Singapore, eggs smelt and tasted of fish as the chickens were mostly fed fishmeal and dried fish.

When I were a lad in Singapore, eggs smelt and tasted of fish as the chickens were mostly fed fishmeal and dried fish.
And yet, fish should not smell fishy and eggs should not smell eggy.
It's a funny old world!

(Genuine upcoming festival)

Are you a vegan who's getting bored of telling random people you're a vegan. Is being really annoying in restaurants 'so last year'? .. now you can all shout "look at me! look at me!" with your very own festival, £85 a ticket!. Except there won't be anyone there to piss off and be sanctimonious to because you'll all agree with each other instead so that won't be as much fun now, will it?.

aveganfest.jpg

Back