• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Picard is dead to me. And to be fair, at 142 or however old he is, he might as well be.
I really didn't take to S1. S2 was a little better but only watched to the end through gritted teeth as I'd come this far.

S3, however, you really, really want to see. As grand reunions go it's pitch-perfect and has a tip-top storyline, and above all closure. Trust me - slow start but it builds.

I really didn't take to S1. S2 was a little better but only watched to the end through gritted teeth as I'd come this far.

S3, however, you really, really want to see. As grand reunions go it's pitch-perfect and has a tip-top storyline, and above all closure. Trust me - slow start but it builds.
I dunno if I can summon up the willpower to invest any time watching 2 whole seasons just to get to season 3.
And concerned that without tolerating sitting through 2 whole seasons of gumph I might be missing essential elements of the plot to really understand what is going on.
And also I don't do 'slow starts'. If something hasn't piqued my interest after 10 minutes I'm out.
Short attention span and easily distrac........

Oooh! There's a dog running around outside!
1688895742688.png

As a little encouragement
They're still using the beige & brown paint for everything?

Hmmm.....I might investigate it at some point but, TBH, I'm not rushing towards it like the opening of the doors for the boxing day sales.

And at top right...is that Beverley Crusher?
Has she had some kind of awful accident?

Is the Prime Directive in fact an alien concept - it could explain why they've not overtly made contact with us.

Have to say, I'm very much enjoying SNW. This week's had a very TOS feel to it (and a subtle, inverted hat reference).
Spock's ears? Yes indeed. I had a flashback to the "mechanical rice-picker" scene in "The City on the Edge of Forever".

At first, I feared "Charades" would be a bit too whimsical for me, but I ended up thoroughly enjoying it and found it quite moving and profound in places. Wasn't T'Pring's mother a ghastly old bigot? I felt sorry for her poor hen-pecked husband!

Ah the most recent episode was superb, how can they do a better one next week? If they do manage to do so i might explode with excitement!

How is SNW so far , compared to season 1? I gave up on season 1 after the first few episodes as the writing was going downhill.

If it helps, my favourite Star Trek series are TOS and TNG.

How is SNW so far , compared to season 1? I gave up on season 1 after the first few episodes as the writing was going downhill.

Agree with your two favourites.

SNW series 2 has been an improvement on series 1 IMHO, except for one episode, which I found a bit boring (the courtroom drama) but others apparently enjoyed.

The first episode was poor but each one since has been better than the preceding one. I'd give it another try if I were you.

Last edited:
I loved Boimlers
"Riker!" when he cocked his leg over the saddle
Apparently it was an adlib that made Jonathan Frakes laugh so much he kept it in.

After last week's whimsical fun and games, "Under the Cloak of War" was an altogether heavier episode this week. Entertaining, but very grim.

Musical episode next week. Not sure how I feel about that.
I've only watched twenty minutes so far and, yes, it's intensely annoying to me. But good for them for continuing to try new things in this ancient franchise. Otherwise I've been loving Discovery and Strange New Worlds, both of which I've binged since getting Paramount+.

EDIT: Yeah, that was dumb and irritating. But they looked as though they were having great fun doing it.

Last edited:
Oh dear.
Sorry but Subspace Rhapsody was a stinker!
I could forgive them the whimsical crossover with Lower Decks, but I will just have to pretend that Subspace Rhapsody never happened.

Oh dear.
Sorry but Subspace Rhapsody was a stinker!
I could forgive them the whimsical crossover with Lower Decks, but I will just have to pretend that Subspace Rhapsody never happened.
It wasn't that bad but it did go on a bit.

I'm assuming they burnt out several autotune machines in the process...

Last edited:
Oddly, I've got no problem with the musical choices they made or the lyrics. I think what they did they did brilliantly. It's just that what they did wasn't worth doing. Does anyone else feel there was real character development going on and the commitment to making it a musical distracted from it? Because they tried so hard to make the musical element about the character development. I think that's why I can't stand most musicals. Say it through a minute of character interaction and subtext, not through four minutes of singing.

I'll watch it again tomorrow if I think I can cope and try to pay attention to the story. I had a lot of distractions today and basically watched it in five parts. I think that was a blessing, but I should try to see it as it was intended. If I'm humming a tune from it a week later, I'll let you know.

Let us never talk about that episode again.

I worry that this means the writers have run out of ideas and we will get more concept episodes in the future.

Let us never talk about that episode again.

I worry that this means the writers have run out of ideas and we will get more concept episodes in the future.
Darmok - remember that episode of TNG?
That was an example of the writers running out of ideas. I found it excruciating and frustrating. Although... some might disagree.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darmok

I enjoyed Darmok, that is how I feel about memes.
However it was still an episode about cultures and culture shock which is what Star Trek is about. Not this latest one.

Back