• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Well I wasn't expecting that!
And, oh boy, just when I thought they had already cranked the nostalgia dial as far up as they could, Picard episode 9, just turned it to 11.
Bet there won't be a dry eye in the house after next week's finale, when we supposedly say goodbye to Jean-Luc Picard once and for all.

And, oh boy, just when I thought they had already cranked the nostalgia dial as far up as they could, Picard episode 9, just turned it to 11.
Bet there won't be a dry eye in the house after next week's finale, when we supposedly say goodbye to Jean-Luc Picard once and for all.
I never liked that cruise ship. I always expected to see a waiter walking about the bridge with a tray of cocktails. So, my nostalgia organ was unmoved. I wasn't happy to see it again. Still loving this series, though.

It did make me wonder, if the gathered old-timers were perfectly able to fly the ship on their own, what on earth they needed the rest of the crew for in TNG. I suppose you always need someone available to be killed by aliens.

It did make me wonder, if the gathered old-timers were perfectly able to fly the ship on their own, what on earth they needed the rest of the crew for in TNG. I suppose you always need someone available to be killed by aliens.
Heck, Deanna Troi was able to fly the ship all by herself.

the rest of the crew
...are needed to feed the pets that roam the ship.
Like Data's cat.
1681746495606.png

Well, wasn't that Picard finale absolutely magnificent?
Spectacular action and shedloads of poignancy and nostalgia.
Jean-Luc may well be able to enjoy his well-earned retirement at long-last, but be sure you stay for the post-credits scene, as there is one hell of a teaser hinting at what may be coming next.

As for Captain Seven's first uttered command, anyone like to hazard a guess?

In Picard, I thought “ Q “ was dead. ?
So did Jack.
Q's universe-weary reply was that the "next generation" shouldn't think so linearly.
They had made John de Lancie up to look younger than when he appeared to Picard snr. as a very old and frail man, so this incarnation of Star Trek's famous trickster is, presumably, from an earlier timeline.

Well, wasn't that Picard finale absolutely magnificent?
Spectacular action and shedloads of poignancy and nostalgia.
Jean-Luc may well be able to enjoy his well-earned retirement at long-last, but be sure you stay for the post-credits scene, as there is one hell of a teaser hinting at what may be coming next.

As for Captain Seven's first uttered command, anyone like to hazard a guess?
I'd go for something either efficiently direct, a simple 'Go' or that also reflects the action affecting them all as a collective, 'Let's go.'

I'd go for something either efficiently direct, a simple 'Go' or that also reflects the action affecting them all as a collective, 'Let's go.'
Lip-readers could probably make out that first syllable she said before the camera cut away.
I did like @SimonBurchell 's suggestion above, improbable though it may be now that the Borg have had their collective arse kicked.
BTW wasn't it great to see Alice Krige back as the Borg Queen, albeit in a partially zombified state?

I have learned that the crew of The Next Generation have an annual christmas dinner. I wonder if John deLancie sometimes crashes the party.
I bet Denise Crosby always comes up with an excuse to leave early.

They had made John de Lancie up to look younger than when he appeared to Picard snr. as a very old and frail man, so this incarnation of Star Trek's famous trickster is, presumably, from an earlier timeline.
The Q Continuum aren't subject to the same time/space strictures as other races, so as you say it could be timey-wimey stuff, which we all know can be great when handled correctly but can also bugger up an entire narrative if not (witness The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which effectively painted itself into a corner that no amount of paradox-wrangling could resolve).

The Q Continuum aren't subject to the same time/space strictures as other races, so as you say it could be timey-wimey stuff, which we all know can be great when handled correctly but can also bugger up an entire narrative if not (witness The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which effectively painted itself into a corner that no amount of paradox-wrangling could resolve).
Oooohh.... please, do continue. :D Hmm... but there's a different thread for that. https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...tor-films-franchise.23750/page-5#post-1979772

Not too long to wait for our next fix of new ST.
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds series 2 launches on Paramount+ on the 15th June.

I'm re-watching ST: First Contact.
I'd forgotten quite how disturbing the scene with the Borg Queen seducing Data - and Data reciprocating was.
So what are your most disturbing ST moments? Anything to beat an android getting horny with a cybernetic being who, just a few minutes before, was just a smirking head and a twitching spinal column?

I'm re-watching ST: First Contact.
I'd forgotten quite how disturbing the scene with the Borg Queen seducing Data - and Data reciprocating was.
So what are your most disturbing ST moments? Anything to beat an android getting horny with a cybernetic being who, just a few minutes before, was just a smirking head and a twitching spinal column?
the telepathy scenes in Nemesis. :D

Not too long to wait for our next fix of new ST.
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds series 2 launches on Paramount+ on the 15th June.
Just finished watching episode one of season 2. Oh dear. I hope it improves. I enjoyed season 1 but this one, well hopefully it's just getting it started and it will go on to being watchable again...

Just finished watching episode one of season 2. Oh dear. I hope it improves. I enjoyed season 1 but this one, well hopefully it's just getting it started and it will go on to being watchable again...

SNW season 1 started off okay but for me soon devolved into predictable dullness. Sorry to hear that season 2 starts off rough.

Hmmm... very verbose to begin with, to reiterate what had happened in series 1 and I struggled a bit to suspend my disbelief at the doctor and nurse Chapel going postal like that, but I definitely enjoyed it overall.

Personally I throughly enjoyed season one. Season two is a rough start.
I don't like the action of nutrek and it sort of stretched my suspension of disbelief a few times.

Personally I throughly enjoyed season one. Season two is a rough start.
I don't like the action of nutrek and it sort of stretched my suspension of disbelief a few times.
It's like they forgot what made it good. :/ Lower Decks, despite being a cartoon that plays off the entire setting for laughs, actually got the source material. :/

STSNW S2E2 (Ad Astra per Aspera) I found dreadfully dull.
If I wanted a courtroom drama, I'd watch 12 Angry Men.
The outcome of the case was pretty well signposted and inevitable from the start and we were condemned to sit through all the knowing looks and smug smiles at the end.
Please let's get back to some serious action and existential threat on a remote planet next week!

It's like they forgot what made it good. :/ Lower Decks, despite being a cartoon that plays off the entire setting for laughs, actually got the source material. :/

Because of your positive comments, I thought I would revisit Lower Decks, having previously sat through the first 4 episodes.
No. Sorry. By 5 minutes into episode 5, I remembered why I despise it with a passion (even more so than Discovery).
I hate the goofy way the characters are drawn and I absolutely loathe the SpongeBob SquarePants level of humour.
By no stretch of the imagination can it be considered as ST canon and I don't feel it's anywhere near clever enough to work as satire.
Sci-fi comedy can work well - as Red Dwarf and THGTTG ably demonstrate, but Lower Decks and the somewhat similar and equally irritating The Orville just don't do it for me.

Back