• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Those guys always spring to mind when I see people using memes online.

Analogy and metaphor are powerful communication tools. Having them as the SOLE method of communication is... seemingly impossible. As a child you have to LEARN the words but how can you learn the words and history needed to understand metaphors if the people teaching you are only speaking in metaphors you don't understand??

Analogy and metaphor are powerful communication tools. Having them as the SOLE method of communication is... seemingly impossible. As a child you have to LEARN the words but how can you learn the words and history needed to understand metaphors if the people teaching you are only speaking in metaphors you don't understand??
Yes, that episode was so unbelievable.

As I was thinking about this episode today, it occurred to me that if the aliens' brains are wired differently, then non-metaphoric language may be the equivalent of baby talk - or an intermediate phase of linguistic development. Adults would lose the ability to communicate that way as their skills at metaphor increase.

As I was thinking about this episode today, it occurred to me that if the aliens' brains are wired differently, then non-metaphoric language may be the equivalent of baby talk - or an intermediate phase of linguistic development. Adults would lose the ability to communicate that way as their skills at metaphor increase.
I find it hard to see that as a versatile enough method to cover daily life as a whole.

Really enjoying Picard series 3.
That 4th episode made very clever and poignant use of flashback and it's good to see changelings (and not tame ones like Odo) featuring so prominently.
I also like the subtly nuanced Captain Shaw - arrogant as hell (or as Riker) but happy to muck in when the going gets tough. Shaw's suspicion of Locutus of Borg was an interesting sub-plot.

I was so-so with the past seasons of Picard, but I agree that I think they finally got it right for an enjoyable season three.

Patrick Stewart at age 82 looks like he doing OK.

I was so-so with the past seasons of Picard, but I agree that I think they finally got it right for an enjoyable season three.

Patrick Stewart at age 82 looks like he doing OK.

An old man wallowing in nostalgia could have been too self-indulgent but, intellectually, he's still sharp and gets those big calls right.
Looking forward to seeing where this series will go next. Worf and Raffi didn't figure at all in that last episode, so I figure they're due to return next week.

I do have a number of problems with season 3 (the writing and editing is all over the place and often messes up the story) but on the whole it's a hell of a lot better than Picard seasons 1 and 2. It's enjoyable enough to keep watching but to me it's not as 'amazing' as some people are making it out to be. But I am a cynical, world weary and incredibly fussy sod. :)

I do have a number of problems with season 3 (the writing and editing is all over the place and often messes up the story) but on the whole it's a hell of a lot better than Picard seasons 1 and 2. It's enjoyable enough to keep watching but to me it's not as 'amazing' as some people are making it out to be. But I am a cynical, world weary and incredibly fussy sod. :)
Yeah, oddly the most "Trek" of the various recent shows was Lower Decks to me.... which is weird because it's animated... but i like TAS, so that's really not a minus to me.

Yeah, oddly the most "Trek" of the various recent shows was Lower Decks to me.... which is weird because it's animated... but i like TAS, so that's really not a minus to me.
As soon as I saw that the crew in Lower Decks were drawn as goofy caricatures, that put me right off.
I could suspend my disbelief for the original animated series, but LD was far too juvenile and whimsical for me and, judging by the "mixed or average" ratings (59% on Metacritic) I wasn't the only one.

stld.png

Of the recent ST incarnations, I've probably enjoyed Picard series 3 and Strange New Worlds equally.
Discovery though was a huge disappointment.

As soon as I saw that the crew in Lower Decks were drawn as goofy caricatures, that put me right off.
I could suspend my disbelief for the original animated series, but LD was far too juvenile and whimsical for me and, judging by the "mixed or average" ratings (59% on Metacritic) I wasn't the only one.

View attachment 64310

Of the recent ST incarnations, I've probably enjoyed Picard series 3 and Strange New Worlds equally.
Discovery though was a huge disappointment.

For me, Strange News Worlds started off really well but quickly fizzled out. Here's hoping that season 2 goes back to and maintains the higher quality writing of early season 1.

I quite liked Lower Decks; some of the humour I 'got', but it felt too much forced - trying to be The Orville, which is quite ironic, really.

Are many others here watching season 3 of Picard? I thought episode 5 was the weakest yet and the show continues to have some very marginal writing. It's okay in places but it feels like it was written by a committee and as a result it severely lacks any kind of flow or good pacing. This results, for me at least, in the feeling that I'm not particularly engaged with the story.

Yes, it's notably better than season 1 and 2, but taking into account the five episodes I've seen so far it's still very average at best.

China Mieville explores something similar, though from the other direction, in Embassytown. There's a species which is pretty much incapable of lying, and if they want to use a metaphor, they have to act it out for real beforehand, so that they are referring to something truthful when they later use it.

Are many others here watching season 3 of Picard? I thought episode 5 was the weakest yet and the show continues to have some very marginal writing. It's okay in places but it feels like it was written by a committee and as a result it severely lacks any kind of flow or good pacing. This results, for me at least, in the feeling that I'm not particularly engaged with the story.

Yes, it's notably better than season 1 and 2, but taking into account the five episodes I've seen so far it's still very average at best.
Marginal writing, and everything ... just...stops when Picard has a speech. Still, in that it has a suspenseful action story and tries - really it does - to maintain consistent characters, it's a great relief from Discovery - at least from the first two seasons, which is all I got through. Nice to see Seven inching ever so slowly back to the character so painstakingly created on Voyager. I look forward to SNW, don't know what the holdup is on the next season.

I think so far season 3 has been better.

Sometimes I feel like I am watching a mixture of “ Stranger Things “, “ Star Wars “, and “ Harry Potter “.

After last week's action, it was a bit of a low-key and slightly whimsical Picard tonight (series 3: episode 6).
Lots of fun mind you and a welcome return from a couple of characters (not to mention starships) I never believed I'd see again.
They are really stoking the nostalgia kick from STTNG - and for the most part, it's working.
Not quite sure I can accept Worf as a liberal pacifist though!

No, just one of them. The one from episode 6.

No, just one of them. The one from episode 6.
Given the hoopla, I thought that the first one we meet was the daughter, then we just met the second one and I looked her up and said aha another daughter, but not nearly in as prominent a part. So helmsman is not a daughter?

Back