• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
My 88-year-old dad has been in hospital for six weeks, mainly in bed - and I think the lack of stimulation has resulted in numerous cases of pareidolia.

On one visit he spoke of a human head, which turned out to be a carrier bag on a cabinet. And yesterday he saw a cricketer, which I eventually worked out was a white anglepoise lamp in front of a brown pinboard on the wall (or cigarette card, as he interpreted it).

Until recently there had been no sign of mental decline apart from him being a little slower, but the year has been difficult and then he caught Covid. He'll be leaving hospital on Wednesday to go into a care home, which I hope will be better for his mental health.

My 88-year-old dad has been in hospital for six weeks, mainly in bed - and I think the lack of stimulation has resulted in numerous cases of pareidolia.

On one visit he spoke of a human head, which turned out to be a carrier bag on a cabinet. And yesterday he saw a cricketer, which I eventually worked out was a white anglepoise lamp in front of a brown pinboard on the wall (or cigarette card, as he interpreted it).

Until recently there had been no sign of mental decline apart from him being a little slower, but the year has been difficult and then he caught Covid. He'll be leaving hospital on Wednesday to go into a care home, which I hope will be better for his mental health.
I can offer sound empirical advice on getting the best care for elderly relations. :)

My poor Mum had a violent type of dementia / alzheimer's, and my Dad found her doing very odd things.
One day she gathered six large bags and filled them with trash, telling my Dad that she was taking her 'things' and proceeded to walk out the door, saying she 'was going home'.
Another afternoon he couldn't find her and upon scouring the neighborhood, she was asleep on the back seat of a neighbor's car.
I knew something was off kilter with her years before that, because she would either completely forget my birthday or send me a card for a 5 year old child.

The red shirt demon.....

shirts.png

The red shirt demon.....

View attachment 66408
I once saw one of those which was striking enough to photograph. So I did, but couldn't see the same effect on the screen.

Tried half a dozen times with different angles and combinations of flash/lighting, to no avail. It just wouldn't, er, show itself.

I once saw one of those which was striking enough to photograph. So I did, but couldn't see the same effect on the screen.

Tried half a dozen times with different angles and combinations of flash/lighting, to no avail. It just wouldn't, er, show itself.
That was a REAL demon. :twisted:

I wonder if that's the 'flattening effect', the same thing as makes wonderful, spectacular views look like a collection of 'meh' fields and fences.

A bearded, moustached old man with his head tilted to the right, singing merrily.

Plants will sometimes do mimicry to attract pollinators. I think this flower is hoping to attract fairies for pollination.

View attachment 68413
That's a great picture! Definitely a contender for the front cover of the Naughty Pareidolia calendar 2024. I'm not sure that fairies would be dumb enough to fall for that though. They seem pretty canny to me.

Nope I'm not seeing anything there other than a litter-strewn slum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back