• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Perhaps these wolves will escape and reintroduce themselves.

A male wolf has arrived at a safari park with keepers hoping it will lead to a "dynasty" with new pups.

Terry, a six-year-old European wolf, has been meeting the existing pack at Longleat Safari Park in Wiltshire.

Staff say he "immediately bonded" with Meg, his potential mate.

"He's doing all the right things for him and Meg to hopefully have a family in the near future," said lead keeper Kayleigh Smith.

The pair have been gradually introduced to each other over a period of weeks and have now been released into their own territory.

"We are so excited to have Terry join Meg in Wolf Wood. He has a funny little character, and immediately bonded with her when they were first introduced," said Ms Smith.

"He has a lovely relationship with his keepers and has settled into his new routine perfectly. We can't wait to see what the future holds for the pair."

A male wolf looking at the camera
IMAGE SOURCE, TOM ANDERS/LONGLEAT Image caption, Terry is now spending time with Meg in their own area at Longleat

Wild wolves used to live across Europe but were eradicated from much of the west of the continent in the 19th Century, and have been extinct in the UK for more than 250 years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-66614267

Perhaps these wolves will escape and reintroduce themselves.

A male wolf has arrived at a safari park with keepers hoping it will lead to a "dynasty" with new pups.

Terry, a six-year-old European wolf, has been meeting the existing pack at Longleat Safari Park in Wiltshire.

Staff say he "immediately bonded" with Meg, his potential mate.

"He's doing all the right things for him and Meg to hopefully have a family in the near future," said lead keeper Kayleigh Smith.

The pair have been gradually introduced to each other over a period of weeks and have now been released into their own territory.

"We are so excited to have Terry join Meg in Wolf Wood. He has a funny little character, and immediately bonded with her when they were first introduced," said Ms Smith.

"He has a lovely relationship with his keepers and has settled into his new routine perfectly. We can't wait to see what the future holds for the pair."

A male wolf looking at the camera
IMAGE SOURCE, TOM ANDERS/LONGLEAT Image caption, Terry is now spending time with Meg in their own area at Longleat

Wild wolves used to live across Europe but were eradicated from much of the west of the continent in the 19th Century, and have been extinct in the UK for more than 250 years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-66614267
I thought loads of places over here had breeding wolf packs? In captivity I mean, not like out in the wild...

But they are talking as though this is the first time a male and female wolf have ever been kept together.

I thought loads of places over here had breeding wolf packs? In captivity I mean, not like out in the wild...

But they are talking as though this is the first time a male and female wolf have ever been kept together.

Maybe there's a problem with bonding? These two hit it off quite quickly.

bird once thought extinct returns to New Zealand wild

Return of takahē – large, flightless bird – to alpine slopes of the South Island marks a conservation victory in New Zealand

Eighteen of the birds were released in the Lake Whakatipu Waimāori valley, an alpine area of New Zealand’s South Island last week, on to slopes they had not been seen roaming for about 100 years. For Ngāi Tahu, the tribe to whom the lands belong, and who faced a long legal battle for their return, it is particularly significant, marking the return to the wild of the birds that their ancestors lived alongside, in lands that they had fought to regain.

Takahē are unusual creatures. Like a number of New Zealand birds, they evolved without native land mammals surrounding them, and adapted to fill the ecosystem niches that mammals would occupy. They are flightless, stand at around 50cm tall, and live in the mountains. Their presence in Aotearoa dates back to at least the prehistoric Pleistocene era, according to fossil remains.

“They’re almost prehistoric looking,” says Tūmai Cassidy, of Ngāi Tahu. “Very broad and bold.” Front-on, their bodies can appear almost perfectly spherical – coupled with the blue-green plumage, they look like a model planet Earth perched atop two long, bright red legs.
They can probably only survive if predators like cats/rats/stoats etc are kept away.

More at link

1693310681470.png

bird once thought extinct returns to New Zealand wild

Return of takahē – large, flightless bird – to alpine slopes of the South Island marks a conservation victory in New Zealand

Eighteen of the birds were released in the Lake Whakatipu Waimāori valley, an alpine area of New Zealand’s South Island last week, on to slopes they had not been seen roaming for about 100 years. For Ngāi Tahu, the tribe to whom the lands belong, and who faced a long legal battle for their return, it is particularly significant, marking the return to the wild of the birds that their ancestors lived alongside, in lands that they had fought to regain.

They can probably only survive if predators like cats/rats/stoats etc are kept away.

More at link

View attachment 69138
Beautiful bird, though that pic, if I wasn't told what it is, I would think I'm looking at a beach ball:cool:

Over the last 25 years, the population of the previously protected European grey wolf in France has grown from a mere handful to today's known count of 1,024 (a likely underestimate).
It's still barely a sustainable population though but, because the French farmers' lobby is very powerful, it looks like Macron may remove the wolves' protected status, allowing farmers to shoot them on sight.
Conservationists though are keen to protect this magnificent animal:

wolf.png

https://www.ouest-france.fr/environ...lan-loup-76f7ecf6-5608-11ee-aab6-4085e5fd9724

Over the last 25 years, the population of the previously protected European grey wolf in France has grown from a mere handful to today's known count of 1,024 (a likely underestimate).
It's still barely a sustainable population though but, because the French farmers' lobby is very powerful, it looks like Macron may remove the wolves' protected status, allowing farmers to shoot them on sight.

View attachment 69751

https://www.ouest-france.fr/environ...lan-loup-76f7ecf6-5608-11ee-aab6-4085e5fd9724

The farmers need to be culled.

View attachment 69751

“…there were 680 farm animals killed by wolves in Austria in 2021, but in France in 2020, there were 12,000 livestock killed. In Germany, nearly 4,000 were killed.

The resolution also noted attacks on humans.

Figures cited in that European Parliament resolution last November put wolf numbers at 10,000 in 2012, 17,000 in 2018, and 19,000 in 2022, and it was stated that the wolf population had the potential to grow 30% per year.”

https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2023/0913/1405090-wolves-europe/

maximus otter

“…there were 680 farm animals killed by wolves in Austria in 2021, but in France in 2020, there were 12,000 livestock killed. In Germany, nearly 4,000 were killed.

The resolution also noted attacks on humans.

Figures cited in that European Parliament resolution last November put wolf numbers at 10,000 in 2012, 17,000 in 2018, and 19,000 in 2022, and it was stated that the wolf population had the potential to grow 30% per year.”

https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2023/0913/1405090-wolves-europe/

maximus otter
I believe that farmers are compensated for stock loss by wolves make of that as you will

A bonny baby beaver,

Baby beaver
IMAGE SOURCE, COLIN PRESSLAND Image caption, Enfield’s baby beaver was caught on camera over the summer

A baby beaver was spotted in London for the first time in a very long time this summer.

It is thought to be the first baby beaver born in London for hundreds of years. Enfield council began London's beaver reintroduction programme in 2022 to bring beavers back to the capital after 400 years. The initiative is part of a wider rewilding and natural flood management project.

Capel Manor College, with advice from the Beaver Trust, will capture the young beaver to give it a thorough health check with an experienced exotic-animal vet and to confirm its sex, which at this stage remains undetermined.

Beavers were hunted to extinction in England but have been reintroduced recently to some areas across the country.

Enfield council's cabinet member for the environment, Rick Jewell, said: "The beavers' hard work creating a natural wetland ecosystem will contribute to excellent flood defences, protecting the local area and hundreds of homes from flooding downstream to the south-east of the borough, while encouraging biodiversity."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-66950410

Some of the reintroduced beaver in Scotland had to be shot,not a good idea,I have a friend in Sask who blows beaver dams with tannerite,doesn’t take them long to dam streams,two streets away from where I am sitting they have even dammed a drainage ditch.
F3B4627A-2365-4936-A7B1-916D40A644A3.jpeg

This is the biggest problem we have.
There's nothing wrong in theory with re-population of a shrinking species in it's natural habitat. The problems come with the interface between the animal's habitat and humans.

I want to hear that howl!

Could the howl of the wolf once again be heard in the Irish countryside?

The animals were hunted to extinction in Ireland in the late 18th Century, but there are increasing calls from ecologists to bring them back, potentially alongside another large predator, the lynx. The benefits, they argue, range from controlling deer numbers and so protecting forests, to reducing road accidents.

One of the most prominent backers of the idea has been Green Party leader Eamon Ryan, although he says it could be decades away.

However, the idea of reintroducing large predators is, not surprisingly, unpopular with Ireland's farmers. Sheep farmers in particular fear attacks on their flocks and the impact on rural communities.

If there's one key reason for the calls to bring back the predators it's the ever expanded deer population in Ireland. Overgrazing by them has led to damage to forests as well as crops. Earlier this year, the chair of the Wicklow Deer Management Partnership said there could be more than 100,000 of the animals in that county alone. Last year, 55,000 deer were culled in Ireland.

Ecologist Padraic Fogarty says that Ireland had pressing targets to meet for climate and biodiversity.

"Among those is restoring elements of our natural ecosystem particularly forests, peatlands and so on," he says. "You just can’t have natural ecosystems that work without big predators. So if we want to re-establish big areas of forest that’s not going to be possible if we’re going to have deer numbers that are totally out of control or we don’t have the balance in those forests so that they can re-generate and perpetuate themselves over the long-term."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cgl39xvdnljo

Is it not our job as life that shares the same environment to adapt out ways to nature, especially when we are dealing with reintroducing species that belong in our landscape?

West London soon to be underwater, property prices to crash & so on.

Wild beavers return to west London for the first time in 400 years

A family of five Eurasian beavers – a breeding pair and their three offspring – were transported from Scotland and released Wednesday at the Paradise Fields wetlands area, in Ealing, west London.

The Ealing Beaver Project hopes the beavers can help reduce the risk of flooding, as well as engaging people in nature.

“Greenford is a high flood risk zone, and that’s only going to be exacerbated by climate change. The beavers should build a series of dams through the site and create wetlands … this acts as a giant sponge.”

Why can't local authorities or organisations build the 'giant sponges' instead? West London is hardly the natural habitat for beavers.

Why can't local authorities or organisations build the 'giant sponges' instead? West London is hardly the natural habitat for beavers.

“Beaver meat is very nutritious, it is a great source of protein. In a one-pound boneless serving of beaver meat, you have 100 grams of protein and about 600 grams worth of energy. Not only does beaver meat contain protein, but it also contains minerals and a healthy amount of fat. Beaver meat contains minerals like potassium, phosphorus, sodium, water, vitamins A, C, B1, B2, and B3, selenium, magnesium, iron, and calcium.”

https://preparedcooks.com/what-does-beaver-meat-taste-like/

maximus otter

I don't care about beaver meat. The point is introducing them (not re-introduction, please note) into an unsuitable habitat.
And should beavers be bred as a food source, then I'm sure it would be very expensive and only 'enjoyed' by wealthy diners in restaurants. Going by the exotic meats available currently.

The point is introducing them (not re-introduction, please note) into an unsuitable habitat.
And should beavers be bred as a food source, then I'm sure it would be very expensive and only 'enjoyed' by wealthy diners in restaurants. Going by the exotic meats available currently.

Er....
beavers return to w. London for the first time in 400 years

That makes it a re-introduction. Albeit with a gap of 400 years.

As to this

A giant sponge would probably consist of ponds/lakes or a series of them. Dams would need to be constructed & water released when necessary. A lot of construction. Councils everywhere are strapped for cash. Beavers are probably a lot cheaper.

Good for wildlife biodiversity & that sort of green crap.

I really don’t understand the antipathy to beavers by some here. They’re in selected locations & will be monitored. If any escape & cause unwanted trouble they won’l last there long.

Beaver are everywhere at the moment,damming all the small streams.

Beaver are everywhere at the moment,damming all the small streams.
You’re talking about Canada I think. The internet tells me current beaver population is estimated between 6 - 12 million. Do they cause trouble/unwanted flooding & if they do, doesn’t someone come along & sort them out? I imagine people would take things into their own hands if not..

They’re not everywhere in the UK & as far as I know have caused no problems whatsoever. Quite the opposite when it comes to promoting biodiversity.

You’re talking about Canada I think. The internet tells me current beaver population is estimated between 6 - 12 million. Do they cause trouble/unwanted flooding & if they do, doesn’t someone come along & sort them out? I imagine people would take things into their own hands if not..

They’re not everywhere in the UK & as far as I know have caused no problems whatsoever. Quite the opposite when it comes to promoting biodiversity.
They do cause problems here,too many of them for pest controllers to really get on top of,they trap them and blow the dams up.The reintroduced ones in Scotland caused damage,I think 60? were shot?

You’re talking about Canada I think. The internet tells me current beaver population is estimated between 6 - 12 million.
The 6-12 million is just this province,not Canada as a whole.

They do cause problems here,too many of them for pest controllers to really get on top of,they trap them and blow the dams up.The reintroduced ones in Scotland caused damage,I think 60? were shot?
Fair enough - if they cause a problem then a cull may be necessary. Not going to argue the toss about that.

The 6-12 million is just this province,not Canada as a whole.
That's a lot of beavers.

There's never going to be be millions of beavers in the UK. The country isn't big enough & less suitable spots for them. There'll be culls if it gets out of hand.

Back