• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

I know you're not saying you're a moron but I do have to say....spelling has gotten a lot worse once autocorrect became standard and I'll predict that inside of 10 years, they'll stop teaching spelling in schools. They've already done away with cursive writing in this country...
And then the real problems will begin...

Math books as well. Often when checking our homework in class, the class would get a wrong answer according to the teacher's textbook, but most of the pupils' answers were the same. If we had a good math teacher, we would work on the problem as a group and, if the class's answer was correct, the teacher would change the answer in their textbook.
When my oldest was at secondary school she would often correct the maths teacher.
At the parent teacher event I told him I had told her not to keep doing it in front of the class as I thought it was rude.
The poor man looked like he was going to cry and thanked me.

When my oldest was at secondary school she would often correct the maths teacher.
At the parent teacher event I told him I had told her not to keep doing it in front of the class as I thought it was rude.
The poor man looked like he was going to cry and thanked me.
Imo, I think a good teacher welcomes students who are interested enough and invested enough to show that everyone is not always right and that you can always learn. Especially at secondary level schooling. I think it teaches kids that respect is earned not just due to age or authority, but that everyone can show respect regardless to standing. It allows for them to gain confidence in themselves in society. Teens can be horrible to each other and need adults to show them that they too deserve respect and can respect others.

My grade 10 math class was comprised of many who were good at math. This teacher is the one who we challenged his answers (that he took from his textbook). He always then worked the problems on the board with us and fixed them in his book. It was usually the guys who would also ask him the “why” questions concerning math equations or concepts and he would take the time to answer them. Because he was good at math and obviously enjoyed it.

Because I was good at math, I didn’t study for the final exam because I knew I’d pass. Little did I know, but neither did my classmates. Our average grade score was lower apparently, and this teacher took us to task for not studying because he knew we could have done better. Did we respect him? Definitely.

The next year, we had a math teacher who was crap. Again when answers did not match the textbook ones, we challenged them. This teacher, though, would never work out the challenged questions, and, when the guys invariably asked the “why” questions, he wouldn’t even address them. The first question asked In third term was “will there be any tests.” In our school, if you had 75% or higher in both first and second term exams, you didn’t have to write the final exam. He said no. The first and only time I never did an ounce of homework was that final term. And I enjoyed math, but he wouldn’t teach. Did he teach us respect? Nope. Did we respect him? Not at all.

Perhaps your daughter’s knowledge intimidated him. He should have welcomed someone who was adept at math and interested. Is that not what a good teacher wants from a student?

Ok I realize this is way OT.

I have a memory of a short-lived 70s TV show called Project Blue Book in which they dramatised (and explained) various UFO cases investigated, naturally enough, by Project Blue Book. The intro memorably began "Ezekiel saw the wheel..." Anyway, I was amazed today to find out it was actually called Project UFO and I have been misremembering it all these years. An easy mistake to make, of course, but I genuinely remember it with the other title. I'm slightly wondering if there was a different US and UK title but I can't find any evidence of that.

I have a memory of a short-lived 70s TV show called Project Blue Book in which they dramatised (and explained) various UFO cases investigated, naturally enough, by Project Blue Book. The intro memorably began "Ezekiel saw the wheel..." Anyway, I was amazed today to find out it was actually called Project UFO and I have been misremembering it all these years. An easy mistake to make, of course, but I genuinely remember it with the other title. I'm slightly wondering if there was a different US and UK title but I can't find any evidence of that.
I remember watching Project UFO at the end of the 70s and I do recall it made very frequent reference to the USAF's Blue Book investigations into UFOs, with each episode being (loosely) based on the real-life accounts.
Easy to mix up the actual title with the ongoing theme.

download.jpeg

I also would have sworn that "Blue Book" was in the show's title!

I wonder if unclear handwriting on a blackboard might account for our misperceptions of spellings? M and N can look very similar if written in joined up, cursive handwriting (and in quite a few fonts).

Interesting it should mention longitude, as I am absolutely certain it has always been spelled 'longditude.'
As a kid I, too, suffered from the "longtitude" delusion. You will notice the slight variation in the spelling. Tha answer is quite simply mishearing "longitude" with the brain substituting a misspelled word influenced by the two "t"s in latitude. It seems quite reasonable until one thinks it through.

Is 'longitude' pronounced with a hard G or not? Anyone know, please?

As a kid I, too, suffered from the "longtitude" delusion. You will notice the slight variation in the spelling. Tha answer is quite simply mishearing "longitude" with the brain substituting a misspelled word influenced by the two "t"s in latitude. It seems quite reasonable until one thinks it through.
That does make sense.

G'day O.S., correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't project blue book a Canadian Airforce initiative.?

As a child of the 80s, I have an extensive catalog of 80s pop facts seared into my brain after spending the majority of my time watching music videos. One of these pop facts seared into my brain is that the bnand Katrina and the Waves was from East Berlin.

Except they're from England with an American lead singer..... ?????

As a child of the 80s, I have an extensive catalog of 80s pop facts seared into my brain after spending the majority of my time watching music videos. One of these pop facts seared into my brain is that the bnand Katrina and the Waves was from East Berlin.

Except they're from England with an American lead singer..... ?????
Weren't you thinking of Nena and 99 Luftballons?

Back