• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Maad!
That happens to me now & then. Usually there's something going on nearby, eg a car crash has just occurred.

I've just had several glass doors installed at home and will be watching with interest for the 'out of the corner of my through the glass door' phenomena! ;)

Lethe said:
Sarah - I have read of several people having terrible feelings at Berry Pomeroy, and although I love castles, when we did visit the area and could have gone there, I persuaded my parents not to visit it.
When I visited Littlecote House years ago I felt sick and shaky for hours afterwards, although it was an interesting place, but I hated it with a passion. ( Of course it could just have been a virus, I suppose)

I didn't feel anything untoward at Berry Pomeroy. The worst 'bad feeling' I've had anywhere was in an old second hand bookshop in Haworth recently, there was a raised section up one end with bookshelves including the paranormal section. There was a partly blocked doorway too and around it was the most terrible feeling of horror, violence and sorrow, the only time I've felt anything like that was in a nightmare! It took a good while for the feeling to fade after we left the shop.
I saw a strange shadowy figure the other night- there was a power cut and I was looking out to see if any other houses had their lights on. The street light just down the road was still on and was lighting up the front of the houses opposite and a shadow of a person moved across the front of the house opposite (which I think is empty) then back across to the house next door, it was definitely a shadow because it was see-through and distorted by the window frames etc on the front of the house. But I couldn't see anything or anyone that could have cast the shadow, it didn't even seem to fit with the direction and height the light was shining from!
The houses opposite were built on the land behind the medieval manor, home of the mad murdering Lord who haunts the village :eek:

Marion said:
I saw a strange shadowy figure the other

I'm getting this. But in the house and more worryingly outside/in the doorway of my bedroom.

I first had it a few years ago, then it lapsed for ages but then happened a few nights ago.

I'd let Cirrus sleep in the bedroom with me so I had to have the door open so he could get to his tray, food and water. I think I'd been having a dream that woke me up and when I did I could see a shape that was denser than the darkness on the landing through the partially open door. I don't know if it's something to do with night terrors or what, but it's really scary when it happens and it also feels quite malevolent.

Oddly enough the only thing that seems to make things feel better is prayer. I'm not a practicing Christian or anything, but ever since I was little (I've had nightmares all my life and I don't even have to particularly stressed for them to occur), if I've had a nightmare or felt scared at night, prayers seem to have stopped the fear and meant that I didn't wake up again from another nightmare.

Jean said:
I'd let Cirrus sleep in the bedroom with me so I had to have the door open so he could get to his tray, food and water. I think I'd been having a dream that woke me up and when I did I could see a shape that was denser than the darkness on the landing through the partially open door.

I used to see things like that a lot when I was a child. Often in the day time I felt I could see "things" that were some how darker or denser than the rest of the air in the room. I saw them most clearly when I was very ill and slightl delerious. I don't know how "real" they were in any way.

We get the classic footsteps on the landing, coughing (even at midday) in the one bedroom, sounds of someone walking up the stairs, and a recent houseguest noted tapping on the walls (of the drumming fingers variety) in the middle of the night.

Send'em to my house.

Say out loud, 'Go haunt my friend escargot in Cheshire'. ;)

I'd love it. :)

lol! I'll bet you would and all!

D'you want 'the Them' that keep borrowing things too? Little buggers follow me from place to place and 'borrow' stuff just when I need it! :D

Borrowers, nah, got enough of those!

We've started ripping out the central heating and have found stuff that went missing years ago. Behind the bathroom rad I discovered two photos of Gelert's grave which I gave up on around the time we moved here. :confused:

There's a ring which usually resurfaces when I do major decorating. Last time I saw it, it was under my bedroom floorboards. Confidently expecting the gas plumber to find it somewhere else.

Most odd.

A few years ago, before we moved here, I had some Chrsitmas presents that I got for my Mum go missing. I always kept my room locked when I wasn't there (I lived in shared accommodation then) and my hosemates swore they'd not seen the items in question. Seemed my 'borrower' liked Avon perfumes! After we moved (to the flat we lived in before here), 'they' took a pair of dance tights that I wanted to wear out one night. They reappeared a couple of weeks later, but 'they've' taken Sellotape and all sorts of other bits and bobs!

My 'borrowers' have some strange tastes!

Bosbaba said:
We get the classic footsteps on the landing, coughing (even at midday) in the one bedroom, sounds of someone walking up the stairs, and a recent houseguest noted tapping on the walls (of the drumming fingers variety) in the middle of the night.
I used to hear stuff in my old flat. After finding mouse droppings I was happy it was just them. But in this flat sometimes there really are weird noises. I was in the kitchen one time when I thought I heard a flatmate come in. I went out in to the hall and he wasn't there so I tried his room. He wasn't there at all. I kept hearing noises in the hall for a good few minutes and rushed out each time but nothing. It truly sounds like there is someone in the hall, it is quite a different sound from that which comes through from another flat or from the stairwell. I was only reminded of it as scuttling down the hall last night I suddenly realised that I am really not keen on the hall. I don't know whether the noises have made me feel like that or (da da daaaahh!).....there really is something out there!:eek!!!!:

I've never seen an actual ghost, although I do see movements out of the corner of my eye quite often. They can range from white streaks to shadows and can vary from place to place. One or two places that I've been to, I've seen so many/so frequently that I wonder why I'm the only one who appears to see them? Anyone have this?

When I lived alone, I would sometimes come home and feel very strongly that someone was there, or had just left. It was so real that I'd wind up nervously whipping closet doors open, and shining a flashlight under the bed from across the room. Never anything there, of course, except my two fawning cats. I don't know if it was down to my own paranoia about living alone, or if something was actually there.

When I was younger and still living with my parents, my Mum always used to see stuff that she couldn't rationally explain. Often whilst standing in front of the mirror she would see shapes move behind her from one side to the other, like a person walking past behind her and often, as she said, in white.

She also saw cats unlike ones we had at the time (they weren't ones belonging to neighbours either that had got in the house). We'd almost always had cats, so maybe it was one of them 'revisiting' where they used to live. Who knows? We have no explanation for it...

Its Jimmy!

I know this thread is about first hand encounters, but can I slip in a FOAF story that was brought to my attention this week.

My Uncle and his wife run a restaurant in Washington State. I visited in 1991 and the lay out hasn't changed much. Basicly it is a single story unit on a suburban mall with a dining room and shop at the front and a kitchen and restroom at the back. Recently they hired a Brazilian waitress. On several occasions, when she has been cleaning the dining room up after hours, she has clearly seen a man leaning on the kitchen counter through the connecting door. When she goes into the kitchen it is always empty and the rear door is locked. When she described the man to an Irish waitress who has worked there for many years, she imediately said "Its Jimmy!". Jimmy was a chef who died of AIDS some years ago.
My Uncle is a retired engineer and rather atheistic, so I was quite surprised he came out this story over the phone to my Dad.

I personally never had a good solid experience but my mom and my sis have, especially my sis because she's one of those strangeness magnets and she happens to work as a bartender in one of the biggest theatres in the city.:D Anyway she calls the ghost at the theatre George (a lot of ghost are named that!:p ) and he constantly messes with her like throw away tops from alcohol bottles and such. She's also told me that he likes to rid the elevator with her because she can feel him right behind her and she gets the shadow in the corner of her eye thing. The thing that really spooked me was when she told me that she, on occasion, seen a woman in blue in the balcony that stays for a few seconds than vanishes.

Anyway my family is theatre folk and I used to be in the theatre a lot. Whenever I would sit in sits during stage rehersal with some of my pals I would always get this strange feeling like someone was watching us in the corners of the room and it would always this one corner in particular that when stared over there I would feel a shiver in my body.

Anywho:) I new to to this forum and I like to say your ghost stories have gave me the hibby jibbies!!:D I have tons more stories if you would like to her them.

I think I posted a while ago about the black shape in my bedroom door one night? Well anyway, I've had a friend staying with me this week. We decided to go at an astral projection experiment last night and talked about it this morning. he said he didn't manage to project, but that 'something weird' had happened during the night.

He said he sat bolt upright in bed at about 3am, which was the time we'd agreed to try and meet on the astral plane, but that his way out of my spare room had been barred by a huge black shape that filled the bedroom door (which was shut). He said he was aware of the width as there was very little space around the head and shoulders, because the shoulders were so wide. He said it was very tall and broad. He can't remember if it had glowing eyes or not (which mine did).

The difference between what we both saw, barring the time space and the eyes, is that his bedroom door had been shut, as he shut it when he went to bed, probably to stop my cat getting in, and mine had been open.

I have very mixed feelings about this now, in that I'm glad someone other than me has seen it, but I'm not happy that it's come back. To be honest it freaks me out and it doesn't feel nice. Luckily for me I've not seen it since that first time and quite frankly I have no wish to. :(

my mom the ghost smeller

Here it goes:eek: :

We were on a ghost tour maybe about 6 or 7 years ago (they are absolutly smashing because they always do it around halloween!:D ) anyway one the more haunted houses in our city (it is the capital city in our state) and they were telling us some facts about they house (they people who do it are awsome because they even go to the liberty of dressing up and such like victorian style clothing) suddenly my mom starts a going sniffing around. She goes and sniffs around the other people that were there also. She turns to me and says "I smelt something like a flowery smell or lilacs or lavender". and she starts asking people if they were wearing any flower perfume and nobody was. Now my mother, doesn't get spooked easily and sure enough she goes a searching and investigating. She doesn't let a little old smell get to her. Well she found out but the people that were working there that people often report smelling a lilac perfume and the Lady of the House use to wear lilac perfume!:eek!!!!: I was surprise at how calm my mom was because if I've been told that I would have jumped outta my skin!! Instead she looks at me and says "Well I guess I just smelt a ghost!" and smiles!!

Later on she told me that right after my grandma died (her mother), she started smelling her Fathers colone! (Iwas 9 at the time) Now be my grandpa died years before I was even born!! We ask my pyschologist (I had one because I have ADHD and it was the only way to the prescription drugs to deal with it) and said that people often have thoughs things happen to them where stress is put on them, but this is the same guy while my junior year of highschool I was becoming mildly depressed because I took a lot of classes and the workload was unbearable so he prescribes an antidepressant and sleeping pills and thinking that was too much for being a little depressed I refused to take them and because of that he drops me after 9 years being with him:rolleyes: . And my mom is not one to hallucinate or have any weird episodes because she is a pretty down to earth woman. I just think she has a supernatural sniffer!:D

I've seen two, for sure. Neither of them was 'wearing a sheet' or hood. Neither was 'misty' or vaporous. They were both normal looking. The most recent looked as normal as any living person. He had a shine to his hair and colour in his cheeks. Everything about him was absolutely normal in appearance. I don't know where all those tales of white mists, orbs, sheets, etc. come from.

The first one had been a ghost for approx. 40 years. He seemed to be 'stuck' in time. Whether or not he had a 'consciousness' is difficult to say, but he may have been what they call a 'recording'. He'd suffered a traumatic event at a particular spot and this had either caused an 'imprint', or part of his consciousness had stayed in that spot, replaying the event, over and over. He was a bit faded, but I think he was a faded sort of personality in real life anyway; just shy, meek, nervous and not particularly robust physically.

The second one had only died about six months earlier. His ghost was in full, natural colour. I lafterwards learned that he'd died suddenly and unexpectedly at a relatively young age (he was about 35 years old). The cause of his death was unknown when I saw his ghost. When I saw him, he definitely seemed puzzled, confused, trying to work something out. The only explanation for his turning up in my house was the fact some of his possessions were there, although when I saw him, I did not know I had some of his possessions. I didn't know who they belonged to. I only learned about it afterwards.

When he (the second ghost) appeared in my house, he didn't pay any attention to me. He appeared to be lookiing in puzzlement at a box which had been placed on a chair on the other side of the room. That box held his possessions, although I didn't know it at the time. I'm not sure he was even aware of me. He looked perfectly healthy.

Two odd things. One -- both ghosts had no legs below the knee area. Their legs seemed to just fade away below the knee. At the time, it didn't seem unusual to me. And Two; I was not afraid of them. This is inexplicable. I usually jump out of my skin even if one of my family comes up behind me unexpectedly. And I'm a complete coward. Most of the stuff in these forums freaks me out. I'm very easily scared. Yet on the two separate occasions I saw the above ghosts (and I saw the first one numerous times), I was not afraid. It's only afterwards, when you realise what's taken place, that the fright emerges. But at the time, I felt nothing, no emotion, no fear, no shock -- nothing. I would say at those times, I was similar to a camera; just observing without thought. I suspect one of two things happens; (a) the ghosts themselves engender some sort of altered consciousness in the witness or (b) the witness enters a form of altered consciousness which in turn enables them to see the ghost.

I did learn the identity of the second, 'healthy looking' ghost, at which point I learned that some of his possessions were in my house, unknown to me. The ghosts possessions were the only possible link between the ghost and me. I did not know they were his, but he obviously did. They obviously 'brought' him to my home, even though he had 'died' 1,500 kilometres away. This raises some interesting issues. It strongly suggests that ghosts are able to 'track' their possessions. I suspect that not all those who die become ghosts. I feel it is 'attachments' which cause some to become ghosts; whether that attachment is to a place, a person, an obsession with injustice, revenge, or simply a reluctance to let go of life itself. Very possibly, 'shock' at the time of death may anchor a spirit to a particular place. In the case of the 'healthy lookiing' ghost, he very possibly did not realize he was dead. He was young, he had died suddenly and unexpectedly. His possessions were given away or sold. This may have caused him to seek them out, in order to understand 'what the hell was going on'.

And Two; I was not afraid of them. This is inexplicable. I usually jump out of my skin even if one of my family comes up behind me unexpectedly. And I'm a complete coward. Most of the stuff in these forums freaks me out. I'm very easily scared. Yet on the two separate occasions I saw the above ghosts (and I saw the first one numerous times), I was not afraid. It's only afterwards, when you realise what's taken place, that the fright emerges. But at the time, I felt nothing, no emotion, no fear, no shock -- nothing.

I was chatting to my housemate the other day while watching the Horizon documentary on synesthesia and he related to me that one programme had shown paralysis of soldiers during combat due to fear and how the brain overcomes fear and what not... I would say that not being afraid would have be the opposite to a flight mechanism, instead being still and calm until you could afford to move and run off. Or maybe I'm talking boo-locks at 5am!

I think your suggestion is plausible; it's one of the few possibles. But not all such manifestations take the same course, so there's so much we don't know.

When shocked, I draw in my breath and freeze. Others are 'screamers and runners'. You see I wasn't aware at the time I was watching the apparition that any of it was happening. I don't know how long I sat there, 'seeing' the man; it could have been a few seconds, or minutes. I don't know when he arrived, or when he left. In a way, it was 'lost time'. I'd been moving around, actively involved only minutes earlier (sewing and ironing). Took only a few minutes to make a cup of tea and carry that to the adjacent living-room. Lit a cigarette, sat there sipping the tea, and was staring at the sewing machine, ironing board and deciding whether or not to continue or to pack everything away and go to bed. Had to be up early the next day etc. So my mind was pondering these everyday things; the sort of thing one does when sitting alone for a moment or two between tasks.

It was at some point mid-way in these mundane thoughts, that I saw the man. He did not 'land' with a swoosh or anything. I simply 'saw' him. And at that point, conscious-thought must have stopped, although the brain continued to record on some level. I had no thoughts at all; no ' oh -- there's someone here. Who is he, how did he get in?' process. Nothing. No curiosty, fright. Nothing. It was like being a camera, and it's happened on occasion since; always during 'paranormal' occurrences. Ordinary conscious-thought must be suspended during those times, or possibly what IS thought must be diverted somewhere else; whether for the protection of the experiencer or because of 'altered state' I do not know.

I saw the man/apparition/ghost in excellent clarity; just like a camera. I could draw him today, all these years later.

From that point, we move to the following day. I got up, took the children to school, cleaned the house --- everything normal, no memory of the previous night. Friend came in her car to collect me. We chatted normally for the first fifteen minutes of the drive. Stopped at traffic lights; she adjusted the car radio. Then it all came back to me. As the memory hit me, I related it immediately to her, similar to speaking to oneself. She stared at me, changed gears, moved with the traffic. I was still trying to grasp what I'd just remembered -- I told friend about the man I'd seen; described him to her. Friend looked across to me; said, ' Can you hear what you're saying?'. She sounded rather angry. By then, I'd patched together the sequence of events concerning the apparition. I'd 'seen' him. I had lost time. For when I'd risen in the morning (just a few hours before), I'd had no memory of seeing the man. The morning had gone as per usual. I was now sitting in a car, having just remembered what I'd seen -- but having no explanation for who had put away the ironing board, sewing machine etc. after I'd seen the man.

Obviously the ghost had left at some point. Obviously I'd risen from the couch at some point and had tidied up, put everything away (a rule with me at night. I would never leave needles and scissors exposed with small children around). I'd obviously changed, got into bed. Sitting in the car the following morning, I could not remember doing any of those things. Could not remember anything after seeing the man. *THAT* scared me; knowing I was capable of moving around without conscious thought.

I soon afterwards was shown a photo by a woman I had met briefly only once or twice. The photo contained the man I'd seen in my living room. I was told he'd died unexpectedly, while his wife was pregnant with their first child. He had just died; researchers were apparently attempting to ascertain the cause of death; numerous of the man's organs were still being examined, despite the fact he'd died several months earlier. Unbeknown to me, some of his possessions had made their way to my home. I did not mention to the woman concerned that I had seen the ghost of her relative in my home. I didn't think it would be very kind to her.

Several years later, I was treated for a phobia which had developed. Treatment consisted of hypnosis and something called 'Time Line Therapy'. The phobia was not resolved, but some time after therapy ceased, I suddenly remembered further detail of the night I saw the apparition of the man. The memories were of my being above the man. The new memory saw the physical 'me' sitting on the couch, with the man half crouched and moving towards the 'me' sitting on the couch. In this memory, I saw detail of the man which I could not possibly have seen from my position on the couch; for example, a balding spot at the back of his head.

My previous memories of 'seeing' the man had always been non-frightening (if you discount seeing a ghost). My original memories had always been of his simply standing next to the wall unit, one hand raised to his cheek, with his concentration focused on something across the room. In the original memories, the man had not interacted with me; had not even seemed to notice me.

But the new memories were not as benign. I had clearly left my body at some point during the experience (something I'm prone to when severely frightened) and during those moments, from above (up near the ceiling) had watched him poised in semi-crouch, his hands stretched out towards me as the phsyical 'me' sat motionless on the couch. In the later-emerged memory, the man was not particularly pleasant.

The later memories put an entirely new perspective on the experience. Maybe in time, more memories will emerge, if and when, perhaps, my mind believes I'm ready and able to deal with more detail. I could possibly retrieve further detail via hypnosis, but to date, I've chosen not to seek them; as I said, I'm not very brave.

The b/f, arch-sceptic, told me yesterday he saw a figure sitting in ' his ' recliner chair in the sitting room, and when he was playing on XBOX live, felt something brush, strongly, he said, past his leg, last night, no pets, no doors open for drafts ( last night was wet and windy here ) He was so startled he rhetorically yelled ( to the people he was playing with ) WFT? ( He was just in shorts, so his legs were bare, and sitting down )
this house, is one of those ' starter ' homes, about 10 years old, and small, much too small for me to share it with anything paranormal!! He thinks it's hilarious that I visit sites on ghosts etc , but flipped my lid at the thought of something in the house.

paralysis of soldiers during combat due to fear and how the brain overcomes fear and what not
When my son was in the army, he explained that all the rigorous training was to help the blokes overcome their natural inclination to squeal like girls at the first sign of danger.

Thusly-
Sergeant addressing raw recruits-
'When a live grenade lands at our feet, we do NOT stand on one leg, cover our ears with our hands and go EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

At the moment we live in a townhouse. We purchased it soon after it was built; no one had ever lived in it before us.

We adopted an aged cat at around the same time we moved into the townhouse. Don't know all that much about cats; always had dogs before. Nice little cat; very intelligent, independent but affectionate. Doesn't normally do anything out of the ordinary (sleeps all the time; didn't realize how much cats sleep).

One night I was pottering around after dinner; dusting, etc. Noticed the cat in a far corner. There's nothing in that corner -- it's just an empty space. Cat was staring intently at a blank wall. Intently. When it remained in that position for an extended time, I squinted across the room, wondering what had captured the cat's attention. Wondered if there was a tiny spider or something, half way up the wall. Couldn't see anything, so walked a pace or two towards the cat. Still couldn't see anything -- just blank wall. The cat didn't blink; ignored me, and just continued staring fixedly at the wall.

Then, like lightning, the cat sprang at the wall and yowled two or three times. Then the cat bolted up the stairs, its ears flattened to its head.

I checked the wall. Nothing. No spider, no ants -- nothing at all, just blank, clean wall. And in the wall two or three deep gouges -- fresh from the cat's claws.

It would seem the cat saw or sensed something and attacked it, after watching whatever it was for some time. It creeped me out.

Our townhouse and dozens of others, plus several dozen villas and apartment blocks, form what is literally an 'instant town'. The entire estate is spread over several acres, on land previously occupied by Australia's largest (and possibly oldest) carpet manufacturer. Below this 'instant town' (and beneath our townhouse) lie the original basements of the carpet factory; these are now used as underground garages, etc. Often when I'm walking through the basement at night, can't help thinking of all the things the old walls must have seen and heard. Just hope the cat sent ' whatever it was' on its way. Or is attacking walls a normal 'cat thing' ?

Finehair, can you elaborate on how he was not particularly pleasant or should we not go there.

I can't imagine what could be so terrible that your mind would supress the details (or should I say I don't want to imagine)

I too have seen 2 apparitions, however unlike yours, these were at the same time.

I was staying at a friends house and had decided to turn in for the evening. We had all been out to a club and were in various states of intoxication, some people had gone to bed before me and some were still 'making merry' downstairs. I climbed the stairs and doubled back on the landing to get to my room being particularily careful not to make any noise so as not to wake anyone. This was also the reason I didn't turn on the light.
As I got halfway down the landing I noticed two figures in front of me and immediately thought it would be two other revellers however the light was poor and I couldn't make out who they were.
As I approached I realised they weren't from our party and something dawned on me that this situation wasn't quite right. (I don't to this day know what made me think this.)
There was a woman to the right of me and a man to the left. I didn't take much note of the woman and focussed my attantion on the taller man. He stood about 5'8" with swept back white hair and beard but it was too dark to notice his facial expression.
I tried not to panic as I had to walk between this couple to get to the room, and my heart rate only started soaring after I shut the door to the bedroom.

The following morning I related the story to my friend who owned the house and waited to be scorned. All my friend had to say was that I was the third person to see the man (her grandfather) but only the second to see the lady (presumed to be another former occupant of the house)
At the time I tried to dismiss the sighting as being drunk/tired however the following morning I became convinced it was a real event.

I too am a little bit of a coward and had not visited that friend until she moved.

Hi Her Bert --- that's very interesting, your seeing the two apparitions together. The tendency may be to assume that the two 'knew' each other, and/or 'hung out together'. However, it may be more likely that some condition existing within the house favours the appearance of 'ghosts', thus the two separate ghosts may not have been aware of each other. Possibly that particular location is similar to a real-life bus-stop or hotel lobby. In those situations, real-life people often stand silently, engrossed in their own thoughts and not wishing to communicate with those around them. Ghosts may be the same.

It may be that 'ghosts' are around us all the time. In fact that's my personal suspicion. But quite possibly only certain locations cause ghosts to become visible to us. It's been speculated that water plays a role in causing ghosts to become visible; either dampness, nearby streams, rivers, water cisterns, old wells, undergrounds stream systems, etc. Your friend's old house may have been located above or near one or more of the above. It's amazing how little we actually know about what actually lies underneath us.

Are you generally psychic, or was this your first 'paranormal' experience?

You said that you sensed the situation was 'odd' at the time. I can imagine what it was like; moving along, thinking of other things, subdued lighting, concentrating on not waking others, etc. Our minds are always chattering away, all the time. Then our 'other senses' try to kick in; to alert us to a difference in temperature and atmosphere. We suffer a shock at that point, because we haven't been paying attention to our 'sixth sense' until the point our other senses have also finally woken up to the fact that things aren't 'normal'. It sounds as if you went *through* the experience and came out the other side before it really dawned on you. It's good your experience was able to be confirmed by your friend and the other people who'd experienced the same thing. Quite often people have these experiences, but there's no-one to confirm them. This often causes the experiencer to keep the experience to themselves, for fear of being ridiculed or accused of 'making it up'/having too much to drink/ having 'too much imagination', etc. It's easy under these conditions to talk ourselves out of believing what we experienced. Most of the time, only those who've experienced something similar can understand.

These experiences tend not to be forgotten. Often they remain vivid for many decades (possibly life long) as if they're stored in a special type of memory bank. And along with the memory remains a strange 'atmosphere'. They're different to normal memories. Your experience is something you will probably always remember.

We don't really know what 'ghosts' are. I suspect there are 'ghosts' and there are 'spirits', and that the two are different, although they may appear the same. The old man you saw may be the result of his thinking about his old home, or family. His thoughts may have been transmitted as an apparition of himself. It may be the same with the woman you saw. They may not have been aware they were transmitting an apparition of themselves. And it's good that they didn't try to interact with, or frighten you. I suspect most ghost sightings are are of this type. Then again, however ... we just don't know. It's frustrating that our minds are able to have experiences, yet keep these from us to a large degree. It may be you did 'speak' with these apparitions, or that they communicated with you in some way. If this did occur, it sounds as if you have no conscious awareness of it. It's possible we are born with a 'filter' in our minds, that screens a lot out, without our knowing it.

Wish there were far more funds made available to study these experiences. But of course, it's not in the interests of either state or organised religion to encourage us to develop such interests. Instead, we're encouraged to believe that organised religion has a monopoly on the 'after death' state.

I'll post again re: your questions about the man I saw.

Hi again Her Bert. I'm hurrying up a bit here because I have an appointment, so please excuse spelling/grammar, etc.

Re: apparitions/ghosts, etc. This is weird, but I believe I may have done some inadvertent 'haunting' myself. They weren't dreams that I had; don't know what they were, to be honest. In both instances I was lolling about; not tired, just 'doing nothing', thinking of this and that, but nothing of pressing urgency on my mind. Then, at some point during this lazy state, my state of mind obviously changed into something else. I'll never forget it. Yet it was so brief. I live in Australia now, but I was born in England. The two places have a vastly different 'atmosphere'. So I know this vision, or whatever it was, was not a place in Australia. It's hard to describe what happened. It was similar to a bit of old film, yet I was the camera. It was 'first person'. I was sort of floating in mid-air; yet I wasn't 'me'. I had no sense of being my usual self. I had no thoughts. I had no sense of my current personality. Best way to describe it is of being a 'camera'; seeing, recording, but without thought, without opinion, without curiosity, without 'feeling'. Just 'seeing'.

Like a little camera, my mind or whatever it was, floated into a very dimly-lit place. My opinion afterwards was that it must have been some kind of little hall-way or vestibule. Whatever, it had a stillness about it. There was no-one there. It was a sort of 'stillness' that you don't encounter in real life. There was a sideboard or something similar; quite ordinary. Old fashioned. Dark varnished wood. And a tall wooden planter thing off to the side of that, with a plant in it, sort of in shadow. The entire scene was in shadow. And was a bit blurry, or misty. And above the sideboard was a mirror. Everything was dark wood, polished. The atmosphere was that unreal stillness and 'oddness' that you feel during paranormal occurrences. Impossible to explain it. As if the scene were contained in an invisible 'bubble' that separates it from current life.

That's it for that one. I wasn't 'me'. I wasn't walking. I didn't see it from the usual perspective. Instead I saw it from some point in the air. And I sort of 'zoomed' in from nowhere until I was 'in' the scene. Never saw the location before. Don't know what it was about. But I suspect that if a 'real life' person had happened to walk up near that sideboard at that particular momemnt, they would have seen some sort of 'ghost' -- and that ghost would have been me. Although at the time, I don't think I was 'this me' (the one typing this). Very intriguing.

The other one is one I love. Same sort of situation. I suddenly found myself hovering in the air, through a doorway, to find a room before me. I remained in the air. Not too high up. A bit higher than your real eyes would be. Again, no thoughts, nothing. Just like a camera. And before me was a room which I later learned to be typical of the 1930's or 1940's. It was a nice room; contained a fireplace, two settees, low table, etc. Very neat. But the emotion 'I' had for that room is indescribable ! The 'me' who was looking at the room from some point mid-air simply *loved* that room. It was in pale colours; I think an old fashioned pale green was one of the colours, and cream. There were no dark colours. There was no-one in the room. Then from the room, the mid-air 'me' went through a wide sort of glassed hallway to a front door. It was night time. Outside there was a curved driveway. The driveway was wet and shiny. It was raining, only lightly. There was lighting set into the lawn at the side of the driveway. Neat concrete gutters and a clean footpath. The lights were tall, and on the top were glass 'ball' shaped things. I don't know how i knew, but near to the house or whatever it was, was a facility. This could have been a hospital, or military installation. Don't know. Just know I felt the most enormous sense of affection and sense of security, looking at these things. Well, 'I' (the person writing this) did not feel those emotions. The emotions belonged to whoever it was who was looking at them from some point mid-air. I gained the sense that the mid-air hovering person had come back to take a look at a place he loved one more time. I sense it was a 'he'. And I believe 'he' was dead. So in effect, I was 'his ghost'. Dont know who he was.

I've had this second 'vision' several times. It is always precisely the same. I've grown to really enjoy it and am able to remember a lot of it at will these days. Sometimes I remember it just to 'feel good'. I have no idea where the place is, but I'm sure it once existed. I suspect it was around the time of the second world war. Because of it, in my 'real life', I began to take an interest in styles and fashions of that period; something I'd had no interest in before.

It's occurred to me that *if* that place still exists, then I may very well in some way 'haunt' it from time to time. Yet I wasn't even born during that period of time. Which in turn has led me to wonder about reincarnation. I wonder if I might have lived and died before, which has caused the current day me to experience this tiny little flash back to a war time life. Have to say, before this, there was no one more furiously antagonistic to the concept of reincarnation. I wasn't just neutral about the subject. I used to get furious if anyone even suggested the possibility of past lives. I was outraged by the mere suggestion of it. I've actually had stand up arguments with people who've suggested it as a possibility. Yet usually, I'm relatively accepting of others' beliefs. But reincarnation was something I took as a personal insult !

But -- have to admit, there aren't too many possible explanations for my 'visiting' this place, or for the fact I adore visiting it. There is nothing in this current life that makes me feel so at peace as simply looking, from a camera's viewpoint, at this ordinary, empty room and rain-shiny curve of roadway with it's round lights. Weird, isn't it? And if the place still stands, it may well be that from time to time, current day people claim they've seen a ghost in that room; the ghost being whatever it is in my head that goes there.

I'd really love to know where the place is; what it stands for; what my connection to it is, etc.

So, it seems we may be 'ghosts' on occasion.

Hi Finehair,

To answer your first question I don't beleive I am psychic and was generally sceptic about 'ghosts'.
Aparrently as a youngster I used to scare the life out of my mother because I didn't like 'the man stood behind the door' in my bedroom. I have no recollection of this man but at the time I described him as wearing a 'big hat and cape' I guess I meant a top hat and cloak.
The house I was in at the time was a mid-terrace circa 1880's that was probably built for mill workers (in Oldham near Manchester) so at the time of this apparition it would have about 95 years of history behind it.

As to the appearance of spirits near water my two were spotted directly next to the bathroom however they weren't spotted in this location previously.

Thanks for the second post (you sure can type!)

I have had something similar to your 'other place/time' experience yet slightly different. Every now and then I am able to close my eyes and picture another place. The first time this happened to me was again in my friends house. (?!)
I closed my eyes and found myself high up in a bedroom. The room was one I had never been in and the detail was very high even down to the chintz quilt and bedside lamps. Initially I thought 'what the.....' and opened my eyes but the room was still there when I closed them again.
I have not been able to do this recently.

With reference to your 'happy place' if we can call it that. Can you see any specific detail that may give away location. Anything printed would be a good clue as it may not be English. If reincarnation is part of this explanation whos to say that you formerly lived in an English speaking country
If this is 1930's/1940's it could possibly be during WWII and the fact it was a man could point to a fallen soldier. (Probably just thinking out loud)

Getting back to my original question (I know you were in a rush on your last post) how was the man not particularly pleasant?
And do you think this was the initiator of your phobia?

Hope all is well in Australia.

Whoa! Very interesting. I've been following this thread for days!

WW

Back