• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. cycleboy2

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

Or; Degsy played a great through ball to myself early doors, luckily I put it away.
  2. cycleboy2

Strangeness At Altitude (Planes, Aircraft & Balloons)

This is one of the reasons why comparing suicide rates between countries is so fraught, as prevailing attitudes can lead to the under-reporting of suicides. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3350416/...
  3. cycleboy2

Movie Mandela Effect

One of the TV cuts of Repo Man uses the word 'melonfarmer' for another similar-ish but non-family-friendly insult, so I still use 'flip off, melonfarmer!', though usually in my head.
  4. cycleboy2

World Records (Miscellaneous)

French woman has broken the world record for rope climbing - 118 metres up the Eiffel Tower in 18 minutes. Chapeau! Though her quote that "There were many ups and downs on the way to this record" suggests she made it hard for herself! Boom boom!! It's the highest climb by anybody of either...
  5. cycleboy2

Frauds, Scams & Cons (General; Miscellaneous)

Not a crossover between the two, but I guessed they shared a lot of actors. The Invisible Man episode also features a young and uncredited Dave Prowse working out in a gym. The great Peter Wyngarde is the lead criminal, a doctor who puts small implants in people's ears so he can control them...
  6. cycleboy2

Frauds, Scams & Cons (General; Miscellaneous)

They'd clearly been watching The Champions episode with Peter Wyngarde - it didn't work for the smugglers in that episode either. https://archivetvmusings.blog/2020/01/03/the-champions-the-invisible-man/
  7. cycleboy2

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

It's all good and I'm up and running. Thanks as always.
  8. cycleboy2

Super-quick response! Many thanks.
  9. cycleboy2

I'm trying to set up this forum up on my new MacBook (woohoo! My old one is 10 years old) but I've no idea of my password as I'm always logged on. I've twice requested a new password link email but haven't received an email - and I've checked my spam folder. So, could you send me the link, or...
  10. cycleboy2

Spammers' Gate

Some poor spelling and punctuation, overuse of capital letters - 3/10. And I don't know why it made me laugh, as it really shouldn't, but it did.
  11. cycleboy2

Oh, The Irony

Or was in the wrong plaice at the wrong time...
  12. cycleboy2

Baltimore Bridge Accident

The ship is 300m long (three football pitches) - the energy of that mass hitting the bridge even at a few knots would be gargantuan. And I don't believe the containers are strapped together; they never look it. I assume that gravity does its stuff... Sadly, I believe the conspiracy theorists...
  13. cycleboy2

Baltimore Bridge Accident

It's recently been reported (either on the BBC or Guardian) that the boat lost power just before the incident, the ship's crew contacted the authorities on land and the flow of traffic was stopped - if that's the case (PA has already retracted one story) that's a small bit of positive news...
  14. cycleboy2

The 21 Faces Of God: New Documentary On The Tarot

Yep, an early artisan pizza oven for the ol' sour dough pizza - no idea why his head is in it!
  15. cycleboy2

Lego Heads In Mugshots?

Number 2 is clearly guilty - just look at his nervous expression! Guilty as! Numbers 3 and 4 look a lot like friends of mine - hello Gary and Chris! I've been to Murietta but took part in no crimes or identity parades. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...
  16. cycleboy2

'Havana Syndrome': Diplomatic Staff Malaise In Cuba & China—A Sonic Or Microwave Weapon?

Two new studies find that there's no evidence of Havana Syndrome. Well, they would say that, wouldn't they?! https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/18/havana-syndrome-study-government-officials
  17. cycleboy2

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

I was in Munich - I've never been to Munich. I was trying to buy a sandwich from a market stall but there was too long a queue, and then there was something to do with a protection gang putting pressure on all the stallholders. So the stallholders decided to climb the steps into a crane about...
  18. cycleboy2

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

And just four more posts for your 4,000 - go on, you know you want to! It's a shame how real life rears its ugly head sometimes...
  19. cycleboy2

Ageing & Growing Old

I've just turned 61, and I started doing pilates and seeing a personal trainer in January, with the aim of preventing things like pulled back muscles etc. I do a lot of cycling and work part-time as a sub-editor, neither of which are especially back-friendly pursuits. Sunday before last I was...
  20. cycleboy2

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

I was dreaming that I was going downstairs with the actor Paul Eddington. In the dream I knew he was already dead, but he looked very well. I said hello Paul, as somehow I knew him, and he said hello in return (also knowing my name). But when we both passed a mirror at the bottom of the...
  21. cycleboy2

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

That's brilliant - way to go, kid!! And we've got a vaguely large domestic pet cat - and there's just no comparison with the leopard, which can grow to 90kg!
  22. cycleboy2

Chinny Reckon

I never heard this as a child in the sixties/seventies in Bath but when I worked for a magazine publisher in the 1990s/2000s it came up in conversation with a few of my slightly younger colleagues who were kids around the eighties. I can't think where they were from, but I'm pretty sure they...
  23. cycleboy2

Lost: Malaysia Airlines—Flight MH-370

A roundup on the 10-year-old mystery, which I shall be reading while I have my morning tea. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/06/mh370-anniversary-10-years-malaysia-airlines-flight-plane-search-mystery-unsolved (Having now read it, it really doesn't add too much to the story; probably...
  24. cycleboy2

British Bigfoot?

I came here to post that - and to comment that there is absolutely nothing to show the scale! The grass to the left doesn't suggest it's massive. Maybe if one of them had put their foot next to it, or placed a shoe, or a map - or pretty much anything - we'd have an idea! Are these people idiots?!
  25. cycleboy2

Great Acts Of Stupidity

Legally blind cyclist fined for riding on a dual carriageway while intoxicated. Even worse, it's his second fine for his riding shenanigans! https://road.cc/content/news/blind-cyclist-fined-cycling-while-extremely-drunk-307071#block-node-comment-block-node-comments
  26. cycleboy2

Fortean Headlines

I've never heard of her, but having looked her up (purely for research, you understand) my guess is that the cost-of-living crisis is hitting her hard and she can't afford a bra. I think that's the most likely explanation.
  27. cycleboy2

They Fuck You Up, Your Mum & Dad

I wasn't having any of that for my parents. We spent a lot of time with my mum's celebrant beforehand and I wrote my mum's eulogy, which was delivered by an old school friend (who knew her and does public speaking). And similar for my dad - though we had a celebration of his life as he donated...
  28. cycleboy2

Parasites, Insects, Etc., Infesting The Human Body

Seems a reasonable theory to me, and I love the bang-up-to-date Hector's House reference!! (Although I'm sure he was usually a lovable old hector rather than cynical, which I'm guessing you know...)
  29. cycleboy2

Parasites, Insects, Etc., Infesting The Human Body

I'm horrified by the description, so much so that I am not going to watch that video. Ever!! It seems surreal to me that so much damage was done without him being aware of it... Horrifying!
  30. cycleboy2

The World's Dumbest Criminals

I'm not sure her act was criminal, but she did try to claim £650,000 for injuries sustained in a car crash, which was thrown out after she took part in - and won - charity Christmas tree-throwing competition, with her pic then shown in the national press. D'oh...
  31. cycleboy2

Fortean Headlines

Yeah, well, just where do you start with that?!
  32. cycleboy2

Fortean Headlines

Locals see red after house painted 'Smurf' blue in West Country seaside town https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/local-news/locals-see-red-after-house-9119743 And this is accompanied by a very strange picture, which isn't explained in the article. Just why is the 'Green Man' there?!
  33. cycleboy2

The Patterson-Gimlin Bigfoot Film

Welcome back, Ronnie Jersey! Your (surprising and unexpected) reappearance here is most welcome!!
  34. cycleboy2

Bizarre Auctions

I'm in the process - not very successful so far - of downsizing and getting rid of stuff. And this is something I've owned for years; I bought it for a fiver at Barrow Hill (a railway depot) Open Day when I was a teenager. Well, an auction house I've contacted has estimated it's worth £250...
  35. cycleboy2

People You Thought Were Dead

I'd have thought with your name you'd have no trouble remembering what threads you've commented on!! (I have the same issue, but I'm just getting old...)
  36. cycleboy2

Spy Murder 'Too Sensitive For Court'

The BBC podcast was excellent but the most bizarre thing, or one of the many truly bizarre things, was that Gareth was due in a meeting at GCHQ or one of the secret services, and when he failed to turn up... nothing happened! It seems no attempt was made to contact him!!!! Multiple exclams...
  37. cycleboy2

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

If this was the 1970s (what do you mean, it's not) I'd probably attempt a cockatoo gag but I'm far too mature for that...!
  38. cycleboy2

The Bibliophilia Thread

Toppings of Bath has been my go-to haven of sanity for years. I go there regularly to enjoy their free tea, which is very good - though as I spend an absolute fortune there I don't feel guilty. And if I get to Edinburgh - or Ely or St Andrews - I shall make a bee-line for their shops there...
  39. cycleboy2

Fortean Headlines

Chester Market evacuated after chilli fumes affect customers I thought the headline pretty much said it all until I read this: 'Five fire engines were sent to the location on Hunter Street in the city centre it said, adding: “A cordon was established around the market as a precaution and to help...
  40. cycleboy2

World Records (Miscellaneous)

The world's oldest-ever dog is now not the world's oldest-ever dog, when vets started to question the age – and identity – of the late dog! Guinness has put the record on hold, and I don't think Bobi the Portuguese mastiff will get the title back...
  41. cycleboy2

SETI (Search For Extraterrestrial Intelligence): Compendium / Miscellaneous

It is quite surreal. My personal belief is that UFOs are not alien visitors. But I don't understand why the US government won't release all the information, a refusal pretty much guaranteed to ignite the debate further. Unless of course it's a deep-rooted fear by a bureaucracy to release...
  42. cycleboy2

Nominative Determinism

Listening to the radio yesterday there was an item on a measles outbreak in Birmingham that included an interview with a doctor... Dr Neil Bugg! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2qyy0q77ywo
  43. cycleboy2

Male Genital Mutilation (Other Than Circumcision)

I read that story last night in the Guardian - and that is one of the single most disturbing things I have ever read in my life. It's a level of horror and depravity that I can barely comprehend.
  44. cycleboy2

Endurance In Extremity (Tales Of Stubborn Survival Or Persistence)

Woman trapped for four days after falling 100ft off California road. She was found by a passing hiker; I can't see anything in the story about her disappearance being noticed by anybody, which is slightly surprising. I'd like to think if I was missing for four days somebody might notice! Oh...
  45. cycleboy2

Remarkable Mice

Little mouse has clearly been watching Bagpuss - it's the only possible answer! (And try watching that without a tear in your eye.)
  46. cycleboy2

The Jeffrey Epstein & Ghislaine Maxwell Scandal

Just looked him up, as his story had passed me by. And yes, there are a lot of comparisons and that also includes having friends in high places - he received the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal in 2012, long after numerous allegations of, er, impropriety and some that were proven...
  47. cycleboy2

Strange Crimes

An unbelievably tragic story of pointless waste. Too much to drink, an argument and a young man is dead and his killer - who was about to go to Cambridge with a scholarship - is jailed, possibly for life. Words fail me reading stories like this. She's clearly intelligent - very intelligent -...
  48. cycleboy2

Poltergeists

Cruel, so very cruel!
  49. cycleboy2

Poltergeists

Andrew Lloyd Webber asked for a priest to exorcise one of his former homes after a pesky poltergeist moved theatre scripts around. And it looks like the exorcism worked, according to Lord Lloyd Webber...
Back