• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. staticgirl

Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD): Compendium Thread

@Steven It sounds like that artwork evoked a strong imaginative reaction in you. Rembrandt would probably have been proud of the inspiration it caused. You may be able to rewrite the piece as spiritual philosophy on the subject of the painting, almost like a story of your response. People used...
  2. staticgirl

I have that problem with numbers too @Ghost In The Machine I've just read the electric and gas meters and although the numbers are only 4 to 5 digits long I rechecked them about 20 times before, during and after inputting them onto the website. Still got both of them wrong.
  3. staticgirl

Aw. Not only sociable but memorable and nice!
  4. staticgirl

It's absolutely fine whether you go for diagnosis or not. If you're self diagnosed you're still part of the community. I am currently facing a block. I'd like to apply for assessment, I've researched and identified who I'd like to do it. I have money saved so I don't need to go through NHS...
  5. staticgirl

Your adviser is bang up to date with the latest thinking on the subject. It's not just because they don't want to upset you - that would be unethical in terms of being beneficial to you long term. It sounds like they really care about the people they advise which is great! All the same, I hope...
  6. staticgirl

I have a lot of stomach issues and stress. I think I may be a pickier eater than I think I am as I will try things but only regularly eat a very limited range. Although that might be because I hate cooking and have low skills.
  7. staticgirl

God I hope so. So many antiquated attitudes still exist.
  8. staticgirl

Paul Alexander (The Man In the Iron Lung) Dies After 70 Years Living In Tank

Apparently he was offered life on a ventilator (once they had been developed) which would have given him much greater freedom but he refused saying he was used to the Iron Lung.
  9. staticgirl

Forgotten History

I bet she was absolutely terrifying.
  10. staticgirl

Depression

Yeah I used to be interested in reading about the Black Death because as I see it we all live in a post apocalyptic society already and lots of our culture still seems to be wresting with it, subconsciously. However, during Covid, I stopped because I was terrified and depressed. I didn't want to...
  11. staticgirl

Chinny Reckon

In East Lincs we said 'chinny reckon' and 'Jimmy Hill' in the 80s but by the 90s we were saying "Billies!" I came across it the other day in some juvenile creative writing I have kept to enjoyably cringe at every now and then.
  12. staticgirl

Ghost Tales From Everyday People

Top pumping-your-colleagues-for-information skills there.
  13. staticgirl

It's unusual to get both the perspective of the sufferer and the person who was in the bed with them so that is really useful @Who me
  14. staticgirl

Holocaust Denial

Oh very good.
  15. staticgirl

English Got Completely Gazeboed & Came Up With 546 Words For 'Drunk'

I am proud of my countrymen (and women)
  16. staticgirl

From the article I am not sure that lad has actually done much more than grow up a bit. Done a bit of weights, had his brows done and a bit of tanning...
  17. staticgirl

O, To Be In England...

The whole of the East Midlands is a bit of a swamp at the moment. Thanks for the somewhat bleak photos of the earthworks and some nice snowdrops!
  18. staticgirl

I am mistress of the double entendre. I like funny noises and surreal visual jokes. I love music played at the wrong speed. I love cartoons. I don't like formal joke telling, cringe humour or pratfalls. I would imagine every autistic person is different though as I bet some are comedians. That...
  19. staticgirl

Very strong emotions, not always at the right time though.... Also I can hold a grudge for decades.
  20. staticgirl

Forgotten History

I always liked Peter Butterworth's performances, they were really memorable. I had no idea he was also so cool. I am glad his immediate family are finding out more about him now before it's too late.
  21. staticgirl

Thanks everyone. I find sleeping on it does help. That's a bit old fashioned but some nights of sleep and some time helps things get back into proportion.
  22. staticgirl

Yeah. He is hundreds of miles away so at least he won't end up at my door (the horror) and there are friends I think he would call on first because they've known him since the 70s. Hopefully i will get over the upset at such a nice couple splitting up when I thought they were really solid soon.
  23. staticgirl

Where Does It Come From? Origins Of Phrases & Expressions

I often wondered if Ta was related to Takk too.
  24. staticgirl

I am having difficulties at the moment with a friend whose wife has left him. He is ringing up all his friends for support and it is a bit overwhelming. I wish I could help but I can't.
  25. staticgirl

I like cute purses as much as anyone else (mine has a secret sleepy fox picture on it that you only see when you raise a flap) but a whole conversation about it would stretch my ability to cope.
  26. staticgirl

Mass Hysteria

My suggestion was designed to suggest what law enforcement professionals and the industry of said law enforcement may feel which may or may not be connected to reality. I think whether the society is peaceful or not may be unrelated to the fears experienced/stoked up by the law enforcement...
  27. staticgirl

I didn't know women could be autistic until recently and as a kid I didn't know that autistic people weren't always the same as that kid in my class who really needed help with coping with the normal school day and didn't get it. (Apparently he became a brilliant pool player after school.) I...
  28. staticgirl

Mass Hysteria

Perhaps you might get exaggerations to safeguard their positions. A peaceful society doesn't need these people...
  29. staticgirl

O, To Be In England...

I got a rubber bathmat and put the slippery but cosy bath mat on top of it. Cosy and stays where it's put.
  30. staticgirl

Aw she was lonely :(
  31. staticgirl

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

We tend to assume that in the past when people believed in the supernatural they did accept it wasn't 'real'. But I don't think they necessarily did. The incidents where they encountered it will have been real and the creatures would have seemed solid. Else why get scared by Black Shuck or the...
  32. staticgirl

That's a very old fashioned view of autism but why women didn't get diagnosed as often - they learn to mask some of their difficulties. Your friend could do with a second opinion from a more up to date therapist as maybe that's what he did.
  33. staticgirl

Gef The Talking Mongoose (The Dalby Spook)

Yes! basically... Anyway, I quite enjoyed it. For me it was about outsiders, grief, coming to terms with loss; and the bereaved being manipulated by unscrupulous chancers. That I think it did well enough.
  34. staticgirl

Yeah all my old schoolmates are forever children. Then I hear that some of them died as relatively young adults and my mind cannot compute.
  35. staticgirl

Spooks On The Tube: Ghosts Of London Underground

They do an amazing job in the few short hours when the tube is closed, for sure.
  36. staticgirl

Nandor Fodor & The Talking Mongoose Movie

Just watched it. I was surprised to find a lump in my throat near the end. It was quite a humane little film and not really about Gef at all. About people grieving and friendship. Gef was ace though.
  37. staticgirl

FT438

I think well meaning and kind people are vulnerable to ideological capture by well organised factions who may well manipulate them into some extreme situations. All they mean to do is give a voice to the unheard and protect the vulnerable but they can end up in some very strange situations. In...
  38. staticgirl

Hurray it's another Mumsnet spooky thread! https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/4911251-to-start-the-spooky-stories-thread
  39. staticgirl

Weird Personal Names

I've met a Precious through work. Also a Winsome. Lovely women both. One of my ancestors was called Senney. I thought this was a transcription error as the Copperplate version of J could look like an S but apparently not. She is consistently spelled Senney throughout her life in a variety of...
  40. staticgirl

Time Or Dimensional Slips

@Sollywos I think they would be quite familiar with the rugby concept as it would resemble early forms of football. They would also be quite happy to grab a beer and might need to be restrained from joining in.
  41. staticgirl

Bronze Age Discoveries & Findings

I m beginning to think Cambridge is the hottest spot in the country archaeology-wise, at the moment. Fantastic!
  42. staticgirl

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

Tired people....
  43. staticgirl

Fortean Headlines

Mystery toy gnomes may be burglary ploy, Welsh police warn https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/05/mystery-toy-gnomes-may-be-burglary-ploy-welsh-police-warn
  44. staticgirl

Paranormal: The Girl, The Ghost And The Gravestone (Penyffordd Farm)

I have just finished it too. I like Sian and I hope she does more level headed documentaries like this. As long as they don't completely do in her nut as she got quite stressed. I also hope to hear lots more Welsh, it's a lovely sounding language and it isn't heard enough outside Wales.
  45. staticgirl

Paranormal: The Girl, The Ghost And The Gravestone (Penyffordd Farm)

I just watched two. They're pretty moreish and I don't even normally like paranormal tv.
  46. staticgirl

Forgotten History

I am not sure how active avoidance of buying cheap Chinese knockoffs is but must be part of it. Also what usually happens is that prices for production rise as workers start getting more expensive - working standards, health and safety - business costs in land and buildings start to rise and...
  47. staticgirl

Fantasy Films

That's good news about Warrior Nun - if the films ever really happen. It was utterly ridiculous and yet really good fun.
  48. staticgirl

Giant Horse?

I agree with @catseye I have never heard of a horse being THAT big and I was horse-mad once. The harness seems to be holding itself up at the front and back? Also I think it is from a photo with a higher resolution as the lighting is less harsh on the horse. It is a very good image though.
  49. staticgirl

Giant Horse?

@Dick Turpin I don't know about being attracted by the sound of bagpipes but they are incorrigibly nosy creatures. They love to see what is happening. I love the idea of giant horses being sightings of Epona. I have been tussling with the idea of an illustration of a ghostly giant white horse...
  50. staticgirl

Forgotten History

I remember everyone thinking that the 2012 Olympics would be a disaster and the weather had been dismal as you say. Instead it was a triumph thanks in no small part to the amount of organisation behind the scenes which my workplace was part of. (And even the weather cheered up for a few weeks)...
Back