• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

My friends father was a registrar, back in the ‘80’s he used to visit new mothers to register their babies if they had not ibeen registered at birth. one of his He would tell some tales about strange names, his favorite was “Mowgli. “He asked the young mother how to spell it, she shrugged and handed him a video tape ”Jungle Book”

I think it's the name of a village in Warwickshire or thereabouts, dragging that niblet up from the memory banks here!

It sounds something like Tuesday so maybe a common root? was Tiw Norse or pre-Christian Anglo-Saxon I wonder :)
As far as I remember, straining the memory to its limit, Tysoe was a 'gypsy', so maybe it was meant to be a gypsy name.

Dr Gay Ludwig Hitler.

(Died 1946):
F7XvGYqbAAAWHjC.jpeg.jpg

Dr Gay Ludwig Hitler

It may seem like a weird personal name to us now, but I suppose at one time many people would've had that middle name in homage to Beethoven (if not due to direct family nominative tradition).

And Dr. H is only 'Gay' I'd heard of, aside previously from the eponymous Gay Byrne (famed Irish broadcaster and media personality).

I'n surprised to be told by Wiki that his registered firstname at birth was actually Gabriel, and that for him the given name 'Gay' was simply a further truncated shortening of the familial 'Gabe'.

I wonder if 'Gay' as a 1900s recorded first-name had its origins in this specific trajectory of abbreviation, or if it was merely a quasi-adjectival baptismal name resonant with eg Faith / Joy / Hope etc (albeit known only to me as female firstnames: or am I 20thC blindsighted on this, as I was with Shirley and Marion ?)

ps the last name 'Hitler' is vaguely-familiar to me, but I can't remember where I've heard it before

pps Dr Hitler's mother's middle-name 'Lutz'...another nod to a (less) famous composer? (https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meyer_Lutz)

Last edited:
Gaylord is a similar name. The only one I can recall is the American palaeontologist George Gaylord Simpson, born at the beginning of the last century.

An urban legend, or web joke which has now been adopted by many far and wide as a cute name for that bit of kitchen kit!

The Welsh translation would strictly be (according to the government of Wales's official language usage website ) Popty [oven] Microdon [microwave] https://www.gov.wales/bydtermcymru/...ltext=microwave&subject=All&btctablanguage=en

However Popty Ping has certainly taken over in our household - it translates as Pingy Oven! I have some family connection to that lovely country although in the majority first language English-speaking south.

And in south India Christian tradition, too. We know someone called 'Lovely' :)

Mma Precious Ramotswe springs to mind, though fictional.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_No._1_Ladies'_Detective_Agency

It may seem like a weird personal name to us now, but I suppose at one time many people would've had that middle name in homage to Beethoven (if not due to direct family nominative tradition).

And Dr. H is only 'Gay' I'd heard of, aside previously from the eponymous Gay Byrne (famed Irish broadcaster and media personality).

I'n surprised to be told by Wiki that his registered firstname at birth was actually Gabriel, and that for him the given name 'Gay' was simply a further truncated shortening of the familial 'Gabe'.

I wonder if 'Gay' as a 1900s recorded first-name had its origins in this specific trajectory of abbreviation, or if it was merely a quasi-adjectival baptismal name resonant with eg Faith / Joy / Hope etc (albeit known only to me as female firstnames: or am I 20thC blindsighted on this, as I was with Shirley and Marion ?)

ps the last name 'Hitler' is vaguely-familiar to me, but I can't remember where I've heard it before

pps Dr Hitler's mother's middle-name 'Lutz'...another nod to a (less) famous composer? (https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meyer_Lutz)
I was at primary school (mid to late 1960's) with more than one girl called Gay. It was a totally common girls' name back then.

I've met a Precious through work. Also a Winsome. Lovely women both.

One of my ancestors was called Senney. I thought this was a transcription error as the Copperplate version of J could look like an S but apparently not. She is consistently spelled Senney throughout her life in a variety of hands and typefaces.

One Precious, two Blessing as first names (Nigerian) - actually the Blessings may have been the same person in two different settings, not a name I'd forget. This reminds me of a columnist in the D. Telegraph who named her daughter Merrily. At school Merrily hated her name because all the Teachers remembered it and would look out for her in the event of mischief ie she couldn't hide in the background. By the time she reached her 20's however, she grew to love it.

Je citez moi, en 2017 (inévitablement, suis désolé)

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/they-fcuk-you-up-your-mum-dad.13361/page-13#post-1684469
I remember about twenty years ago hearing (probably at Silverknowes Park, in Edinburgh) an upper middle-class father shouting at the top of his voice "Indonesia! Sumatra! Jakarta! Come back immediately, or your ice-cream will be ruined!".

My immediate thought was whether there was an Indonesian father, possibly, somewhere, shouting almost the same thing at his three daughters (Merchiston, Leith and Caledonia) to 'come and get their frozen tofu!'.

Merchiston would inevitably be the dutiful eldest....Leith, the awkward middle-child. And Caledonia, the eternal baby of the trio.

One Precious, two Blessing as first names (Nigerian) - actually the Blessings may have been the same person in two different settings, not a name I'd forget. This reminds me of a columnist in the D. Telegraph who named her daughter Merrily. At school Merrily hated her name because all the Teachers remembered it and would look out for her in the event of mischief ie she couldn't hide in the background. By the time she reached her 20's however, she grew to love it.
Could it be that her parents were a fan of Phil Rickman's books? His protagonist, the female priest, is Merrily Watkins.

Her heritage is Trinidadian/Dominican. She's hardly going to be called Jill Smith.

Jillian Smith is on a journey to become fit and healthy

The 46-year-old was born and raised in Fanny Village, Point Fortin.

https://newsday.co.tt/2019/11/03/jillian-smith-is-on-a-journey-to-become-fit-and-healthy/

Point Fortin, officially the Republic Borough of Point Fortin, the smallest Borough in Trinidad and Tobago is located in southwestern Trinidad

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Fortin

;)

maximus otter

Sardines Dyke is given in the United States Census of 1860.
Can that possibly be a real name? It definitely smells a bit fishy to me. Perhaps the census taker was thinking about his lunch (the 'sardines' bit, I mean).

As for Fanny Village... don't even go there.

I found out that one of those annoying rappers has the real name Belcalis Marlenis Almánzar Cephus.
I think that's a fabulous name! Belcalis... (the other names won't ever really be used, will they?). Shame I'm past having another baby...

Back