• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are We Really Fatter Nowadays?

How can you tell if a yoghurt is disreputable ?
LOL - I meant a yogurt not containing tons of fat and sugar - surprisingly if you read the labels on these 'yogurts' you may as well be eating a slice of cheesecake!
I like Chobani, it's more expensive but made with quality ingredients, and some of the yogurts are 0% sugar and 0% fat.

What on earth is that? LOL
There is a thread on Savile on this forum.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...the-jimmy-savile-revelations-aftermath.50455/

He was a disgusting piece of work who abused children and others. He was a TV DJ and host of a children's TV series where he "fixed things" for them, driving a train, meeting a celeb,etc. He also promoted various charities (which I think is where the yoghurt promotion came in) However he used this work to facilitate a lot of his misdeeds and to befriend those in high places including royalty, meaning that he got away with it during his lifetime. This all came out after his death - or rather the accusations started to be taken seriously then, and the scale was enormous.

I guess he isn't well known about outside of the UK. The above is only a brief guide but if you have the stomach read the thread or look him up online. The revelations led to a lot more investigations of celebs and others known as Operation Yewtree and led to other convictions (Rolf Harris, again probably not much known outside the UK) but also a lot of bad publicity for people who were innocent like Sir Cliff Richard when the investigations became public before any proof was available.

Not the Ski yoghurt people's fault, they were just doing a promotion with a big name to help a charity. Probably a post in bad taste on my part but I saw the image and thought; "Well, there's a disreputable yoghurt."

Anyhow. :botp:

Mr. R wanted to go to our local dollar store today, to get some snacks.
A young man walked in, I'm guessing a teenager, with one-piece pajamas on, with the feet. A younger girl was with him, also in one-piece pajamas.
He was the equivalent of three normal size teenagers in one, first time I've seen that. And the young girl was well on her way to that weight.
They were shopping in the candy aisle.
They were not American, speaking some language, very sad.

Mr. R wanted to go to our local dollar store today, to get some snacks.
A young man walked in, I'm guessing a teenager, with one-piece pajamas on, with the feet. A younger girl was with him, also in one-piece pajamas.
He was the equivalent of three normal size teenagers in one, first time I've seen that. And the young girl was well on her way to that weight.
They were shopping in the candy aisle.
They were not American, speaking some language, very sad.
I've noticed many families like this. Overweight parents with overweight children - it's almost vanishingly rare to see a slim set of parents with overweight children. Although, saying that, I have five adult children. One is so underweight at 34 that he has been investigated by doctors (who can't find anything wrong with him), three are normal weight and one (daughter) is very overweight. I, and their father, are normal. The overweight daughter has a variety of medical conditions (thyroid etc) which contribute to her weight, she's also by far the shortest in the family. So I do know that it's not always upbringing...

It's all about chicken! Hear me out, when I was growing up in the 70s and 80's Chicken was relatively expensive and was really quite a special treat, Things have moved on, it must be the most common animal based proteins in the human diet it's everywhere, I can buy a medium chicken down the local supermarket for bout £4! Now think about all the processed foods that are either based on Chicken or contain Chicken.

And here's the point many years ago I was on a Kibbutz in Israel (where else) and I worked in the chicken sheds, little bundles of yellow fluff would arrive put into huge sheds, about 6 to 7 weeks later we were putting them in crates to go to the slaughter house fully grown, that's not natural, and it's all going into our diet, and young people eat a lot of chicken!

It's all about chicken! Hear me out, when I was growing up in the 70s and 80's Chicken was relatively expensive and was really quite a special treat, Things have moved on, it must be the most common animal based proteins in the human diet it's everywhere, I can buy a medium chicken down the local supermarket for bout £4! Now think about all the processed foods that are either based on Chicken or contain Chicken.

And here's the point many years ago I was on a Kibbutz in Israel (where else) and I worked in the chicken sheds, little bundles of yellow fluff would arrive put into huge sheds, about 6 to 7 weeks later we were putting them in crates to go to the slaughter house fully grown, that's not natural, and it's all going into our diet, and young people eat a lot of chicken!
Does this remind you of anything Rob?;
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-vegetarian-vegan-thread.28514/page-10#post-2209451

Chicken filet is generally injected with water to make it look bigger. A lot of that water is lost during cooking though.

I have also heard the argument that cheap mass produced chicken has so little flavour that people eat more of it as they feel less satisfied with it. This can also be applied to other foods.
It seems that way we have sacrificed quality for quantity, don't get me started about what passes for a tomato nowadays, just no flavour whatsoever

It seems that way we have sacrificed quality for quantity, don't get me started about what passes for a tomato nowadays, just no flavour whatsoever
Here in New Jersey we have the famous 'Jersey Tomatoes' in the summertime, from our farms.
They are my absolute favorite to slice up and make a sandwich of.
We love having a vegetable garden of our own (unfortunately in this house we cannot), Mr. R plants tomatoes, cucumbers, banana peppers, lettuce, sunflowers (for the animals), and assorted veggies.
When I pick up a tomato at the store, I won't buy it unless it has a 'real tomato' smell. They are like cardboard.

Here in New Jersey we have the famous 'Jersey Tomatoes' in the summertime, from our farms.
We love having a vegetable garden of our own (unfortunately in this house we cannot), Mr. R plants tomatoes, cucumbers, banana peppers, lettuce, sunflowers (for the animals), and assorted veggies.
When I pick up a tomato at the store, I won't buy it unless it has a 'real tomato' smell. They are like cardboard.
Partly the growing method and storage and partly the variety being grown. F1 hybrids selected for weight of crop, time to crop, legth of time they can be stored for and uniformity of crop. Flavour? Who cares? Hence, here in the UK at least we have rock hard, greeny orange, flavourless lumps that go from unripe to rotten.
The desire to have every fruit and veg available out of season doesn't help either.

In Arizona, some grocery stores sell "heirloom tomatoes." They are twice as expensive as regular tomatoes, they bruise easily, but they are very very tasty. We eat one a week. Because of the cost, it is as if the tomato is adopted, so each one of them gets its own name. "Let me introduce you to Bruno, who will be our tomato this week." etc.

Safeway grocery stores are in New Jersey; this is the chain where we buy our tomatoes.

I agree that two things that are not as good as I remember them to be in the past are tomatoes and peaches.

The normal tomato has really suffered tasting like nothing.

In Arizona, some grocery stores sell "heirloom tomatoes." They are twice as expensive as regular tomatoes, they bruise easily, but they are very very tasty. We eat one a week. Because of the cost, it is as if the tomato is adopted, so each one of them gets its own name. "Let me introduce you to Bruno, who will be our tomato this week." etc.

Safeway grocery stores are in New Jersey; this is the chain where we buy our tomatoes.
We have heirloom tomatoes here as well, along with Jersey tomatoes, Beefsteaks, and dozens of other kinds. The 'ugly tomatoes' are also delicious, but anything coming from local farms is what we buy, our local Shop Rite carries produce from local farmers.
Also our flea markets carry fresh farm produce in the summers, at great prices as well.
We don't have any 'Safeway' stores that I am aware of.

I don't know whether I could eat one if it had a name:omg:

I agree that two things that are not as good as I remember them to be in the past are tomatoes and peaches.

The normal tomato has really suffered tasting like nothing.
Try some of your flea markets in the summertime - some of the peaches that we get there are just out of this world. Like I remember them from childhood in our back yard, ripe, soft and juicy!

Indeed. And in the meantime, what does have flavour? Processed food! Which has no real nutrition. There is also a theory that we eat more of that because our bodies are not satisfied by the lack of nutrients.

And in the meantime, what does have flavour? Processed food!

Have you tried a can of soup recently? A treat for me years ago would have been a can of Heinz Cream of Chicken soup with some bread & butter. Today? It’s like vaguely chicken-scented cold cream.

The health fascists have required the sugar, salt and fat content to be severely reduced, which automatically removes all but a vestige of flavour.

Now, when l prepare a Thermos of soup for a day’s shooting, l begin by adding to the saucepan a generous pinch of salt, plus pepper sauce (and other appropriate sauces) to taste.

I suspect that the soup sold in the Eastern European delis that have sprung up everywhere isn’t so hamstrung by these requirements. l must prepare a cribsheet of the Polish words for Cream of Chicken, tomato etc….

maximus otter

Since the price went up to what is probably an equivalent to liquid gold.:chuckle:

On a serious soup-related note, one of the (far) more acceptable concoctions is Broccoli and Stilton. Unfortunately, it seems to be very difficult to find in supermarkets.

LN_040037_BP_11.jpg

maximus otter

On a serious soup-related note, one of the (far) more acceptable concoctions is Broccoli and Stilton. Unfortunately, it seems to be very difficult to find in supermarkets.

LN_040037_BP_11.jpg

maximus otter
Love Stilton, but I don't like it in soups/pies etc for some reason.

Since the price went up to what is probably an equivalent to liquid gold.:chuckle:
But isn't this part of the problem? Soup is (if you've got the time) one of the easiest things on earth to make. Get some stock, some veg, boil it all up together, blend it and add some cream (or not). We're so used to buying it in cans that we've lost sight of the fact that you can make it yourself.

Ditto tomatoes. You can grow these in hanging baskets! In a gro-bag on a patch of concrete! In a pot on your windowsill! We need to vote with our feet (if you see what I mean) and stop buying overpriced and unsatisfying rubbish and start making or growing our own.

But isn't this part of the problem? Soup is (if you've got the time) one of the easiest things on earth to make. Get some stock, some veg, boil it all up together, blend it and add some cream (or not). We're so used to buying it in cans that we've lost sight of the fact that you can make it yourself.

Ditto tomatoes. You can grow these in hanging baskets! In a gro-bag on a patch of concrete! In a pot on your windowsill! We need to vote with our feet (if you see what I mean) and stop buying overpriced and unsatisfying rubbish and start making or growing our own.
I think it depends on your set-up though. Our house hardly sees any sun (it's often warmer out than in) and space to grow sun-loving veg is very hard to find.

Mil/Fil have a small conservatory- ie surrounded by glass- that gets the sun most of the day and she has grown some great tomatoes and peppers.

True, they'll be better but a lot depends on the variety. Henry Doubleday Assoc used to make seeds available to members, to avoid various legislation about sales but now it is Garden Organic, I don't think it does (although it keeps a seed bank) Some of the varieties used by competition growers may be better than those offered in most garden centres - but some of those are bred for size rather than flavour.

True, they'll be better but a lot depends on the variety. Henry Doubleday Assoc used to make seeds available to members, to avoid various legislation about sales but now it is Garden Organic, I don't think it does (although it keeps a seed bank) Some of the varieties used by competition growers may be better than those offered in most garden centres - but some of those are bred for size rather than flavour.
Even the worst variety, home grown and picked with the sun on it, will be better than something from a supermarket that's been brought in underripe and left in a box for a week out the back.

Back