Asteroid Near-Misses (AKA: Holy Shit! We're All Going to Die)

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Spaceweather.com is you friend on these subjects.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
We're all doomed again...

The asteroid, known as JF1 is designated a ‘near-Earth object’ (NEO) meaning it orbits the sun and comes close enough to our planet to cause concern.

‘Some asteroids and comets follow orbital paths that take them much closer to the Sun and therefore Earth – than usual,’ Nasa explained. ‘If a comet’s or asteroid’s approach brings it to within 1.3 astronomical units of the Sun, we call it a Near-Earth object.’
Just for context, "1.3 astronomical units" is almost 121,000,000 miles.

Besides, warble gloaming will get us first. Or Ebola. Or plastic in orangutans.

maximus otter

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
’ Nasa said. They believe, were it to strike Earth, it would be the equivalent to detonating 230 kilotonnes of TNT. That kind of a detonation would dwarf the force of the Hiroshima atomic bomb in 1945, which exploded with the force of 15 kilotonnes of TNT.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/14/nasa...article.desktop.share.top.twitter?ito=cbshare
When one considers that we have detonated Hydrogen bombs in the MegaTonne, 230 Kilotonnes is hardly an existential thread; unless you happen to be in the locality.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Forget Corona Virus! The Asteroid Cometh!

Don't worry about coronavirus. A "killer asteroid" could wipe out life on Earth long before the epidemic.
  • As if the coronavirus plague isn’t terrifying enough, the Earth will cross paths with a planet-destroying asteroid this Saturday.
  • It’s larger than the tallest building on Earth, and big enough to trigger a major impact event, nuclear winter, and mass extinctions.
  • NASA has officially classified the planet killer as a “Potentially Hazardous Asteroid” (PHA). It will miss by just 0.038 astronomical units.
https://www.ccn.com/forget-coronavirus-this-earth-destroyer-asteroid-could-kill-you-first/

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
So that's human civilisation ending in April 2020.....but it probably won't be the end of the entire world, or of all animal life. And a few hardy people might survive. So that's not so bad, then.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/scie...roid-hit-Earth-end-civilisation-asteroid-news
Yeah, that's just the Express being their usual clickbaity selves again. No risk from this one. (unless I manage to finish my giant space-electromagnet-ray in time, divert the asteroid and then manage to HOLD THE WORLD TO RANSOM)

Last edited:

madmath

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The frustrating thing about all these near misses is how small the objects are, impossible to see without a good telescope. C'mon, universe, send something really close enough to properly scare the pants off people as it sails dramatically across the night sky!
As I type this I recall a small comet did just that in the early 1980s, close enough to be seen with the naked eye and it moved noticeably as we watched.
Got it: IRAS-Araki-Alcock 1983d

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Yep ... Such objects that temporarily orbit the earth are called minimoons.
And if they're artificial objects in orbit e.g. the ISS, do we get to say "That's no minimoon, it's a space station"?

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
On my phone it has the samsung 'upday' feature that gives you a load of 'news' articles one after the other. You can choose to not see articles on certain themes (for example I have already screened out 'celebrity' news and the like, but some still creep in).
Anyways.....I have found that after the pertinent actual news articles have all been shown the system then starts offering me items that I might be interested in based on previous things I showed an interest in, and it always seems to be the case that the fourth or fifth article is always something from (eg) 'daily news' about "MASSIVE ASTEROID WILL COME WITHIN METRES OF THE EARTH TONIGHT" accompanied by that type of picture of planetary devastation. And as someone said, it is indeed just 'clickbait' as if you read the article it always goes on to say that it won't hit the earth etc.
But my questions are these: Why do 'they' put these 'articles' out so frequently? What are 'they' planning to gain from it? Who actually believes any of it?

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
So just disable the application; easy.

marhawkman

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
On my phone it has the samsung 'upday' feature that gives you a load of 'news' articles one after the other. You can choose to not see articles on certain themes (for example I have already screened out 'celebrity' news and the like, but some still creep in).
Anyways.....I have found that after the pertinent actual news articles have all been shown the system then starts offering me items that I might be interested in based on previous things I showed an interest in, and it always seems to be the case that the fourth or fifth article is always something from (eg) 'daily news' about "MASSIVE ASTEROID WILL COME WITHIN METRES OF THE EARTH TONIGHT" accompanied by that type of picture of planetary devastation. And as someone said, it is indeed just 'clickbait' as if you read the article it always goes on to say that it won't hit the earth etc.
But my questions are these: Why do 'they' put these 'articles' out so frequently? What are 'they' planning to gain from it? Who actually believes any of it?
clickbait articles are about ad revenue. That one I posted a link to a while ago is something like 30 pages and there's like 4 ads on each page of the article.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
So just disable the application; easy.
Actually I like the app. And 97% of the stuff on there (even when it is clickbait) is quite interesting. I just engage my bullshit filter which seems to work remarkably well.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
And as someone said, it is indeed just 'clickbait' as if you read the article it always goes on to say that it won't hit the earth etc.
I don't know the answer, other than scaremongering or to generate ad revenue, but the Express are seemingly always at it. I have an optional newsfeed thingy on my mobile phone and it seems to attract rather more Express content than is good for me. They seem to have very specific obsessions, such as weather panics and BBC breakfast TV (yes, really). They're either trying to suggest in their headlines that we're about to be blanketed by snow across the whole UK - on reading the actual article, it's a spot of cold weather and maybe snow on higher ground (no shit) - or trying to make out that one BBC presenter has mortally offended another, when it's never been the actual case.