• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Meanwhile, in the world of "Man Bites Dog"
https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/03/dors...-battered-with-cricket-bat-on-beach-17120208/

Manhunt after seagull battered with cricket bat on beach promenade​

Comment
author image
Sean SeddonWednesday 3 Aug 2022 2:18 pm

298SHARES
Lyme Regis, Dorset, UK -April 14th 2018: Seagulls swooping on & devouring the remains of a fish & chip meal left unattended. Seagulls are a UK seaside nuisance.

The bird had to be put down after suffering a broken wing in the attack (Picture: Getty)
Police are hunting a cricket bat-wielding yob who attacked a seagull in full view of playing children.
The bird was struck by a man on the seafront in Lyme Regis shortly before 4pm on Sunday.
It suffered a broken wing and had to be put down shortly afterwards.
Investigators want to question a man in his 50s who was reported by witnesses as having a South African accent.
He was described as around 5ft 10 in tall and was wearing wearing a grey Jim Beam-branded T-shirt and a grey hat at the time.
The incident took place near to Poco Pizza on Marine Parade while the beachfront was busy with visitors.

Police constable Josh Hurwood, of West Dorset police, said: ‘This was a distressing incident for people to have witnessed, with many young families in the area at the time and we are carrying out an investigation, with support from the RSPCA, to identify the man involved.
Marine Parade in Lyme Regis

It happened on busy Marine Parade during a sunny Sunday afternoon when the area was packed with visitors (Picture: Google)
‘This occurred on the seafront at a busy time of day, and we are appealing for anyone who saw what happened, or who has any information relating to the man’s identity, to please come forward.’
A spokesperson for the RSPCA urged witnesses to contact the police or the RSPCA.
They added: ‘We are working with police to investigate this incident.
‘Sadly, a gull was seriously injured and had to be put to sleep.’
I detest this sort of thing. Personally I would have battered the yob with his own cricket bat. Pathetic that people think it's ok to inflict cruelty on creatures. (And yes I'm aware of the irony)

That is pretty cool but in the middle of the night though? I think they were asleep over there and something noised them up. Maybe a passer by with a dog.
Maybe - as you say, the night was lit up by factory lights, and warm and stuffy, there was enough light to let the ants get into the air and do there thing?
If not the ants, then maybe some other insect or fly was being scooped up by the gulls?

I looked up 'can ants fly during the hours of darkness,' but no specific info turned up on that.' Probably because it hasn't yet been documented or observed, though I did find that ants can be just as active during the night - when conditions allow them to continue to function.

I suppose this qualifies as an attack on a seagull.

Police are investigating after a man was seen pulling a seagull across a road on a dog lead in a seaside resort.

The bird had to be put down following the incident on Devonshire Road in Blackpool on Monday.

A man, in his 50s, was arrested for being drunk and disorderly but he has subsequently been de-arrested. Lancashire Police said no arrests had been made in relation to allegations of animal cruelty but the matter was still being investigated.

Gulls are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and it is illegal to intentionally injure or kill them.

A force spokesman said: "We were called at about 20:00 on 10 April to a report of a man pulling a live seagull along the pavement with a rope around its neck on Bispham Road. The bird was taken by a member of the public to a local vet where they decided it sadly had to be put down."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-65274023

Police are investigating after a man was seen pulling a seagull across a road on a dog lead in a seaside resort.

The bird had to be put down following the incident on Devonshire Road in Blackpool on Monday.

A man, in his 50s, was arrested for being drunk and disorderly but he has subsequently been de-arrested. Lancashire Police said no arrests had been made in relation to allegations of animal cruelty but the matter was still being investigated.

Gulls are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and it is illegal to intentionally injure or kill them.

A force spokesman said: "We were called at about 20:00 on 10 April to a report of a man pulling a live seagull along the pavement with a rope around its neck on Bispham Road. The bird was taken by a member of the public to a local vet where they decided it sadly had to be put down."

Jeez a p**s head on Devonshire Road. Who would have thought eh?:thought:

Something not quite right about letting him walk away from that one. 'Man gets drunk therefore no punishment justifiably dished out?' Like being drunk is an excuse for anything goes!

Last edited:
Reading the local face ache when the incident was first reported
it gave the impression that the idiot was known to the police
though what if any bearing that as on the outcome I don't know.

Something not quite right about letting him walk away from that one. 'Man gets drunk therefore no punishment justifiably dished out?' Like being drunk is an excuse for anything goes!

It looks as if the police are still considering a prosecution.

Lancashire Police said no arrests had been made in relation to allegations of animal cruelty but the matter was still being investigated.

Two seagulls were fighting outside my backdoor a short while ago, beaks locked. What made it odd was the involvement of a hooded crow who started to nip at a wing of one of the seagulls. No blood was spilled, just a few feathers ruffled.

Flying high.

Seagulls in the UK have apparently been swooping down to snatch public drug users' stashes of "spice"—synthetic cannabinoids that mimic the effects of marijuana. From Leeds to Liverpool, London, Manchester, and Hastings, the fiendish fliers "think they're getting chips, but they're just getting a beakful of spice," one stoner citizen reported. From MSN:

After one such incident in Wrexham, locals reportedly said that one of the birds 'went mad' after taking someone's supply of the drug, dive-bombing pedestrians before eventually coming to collapse on the pavement.
Another added: 'Another day, another zombie seagull.'

https://boingboing.net/2023/05/22/seagulls-snatching-drug-stashes-become-zombie-birds.html

Flying high.s

Seagulls in the UK have apparently been swooping down to snatch public drug users' stashes of "spice"—synthetic cannabinoids that mimic the effects of marijuana. From Leeds to Liverpool, London, Manchester, and Hastings, the fiendish fliers "think they're getting chips, but they're just getting a beakful of spice," one stoner citizen reported. From MSN:

https://boingboing.net/2023/05/22/seagulls-snatching-drug-stashes-become-zombie-birds.html
that is great "Zombie Sea Gull"

There are two gulls nesting on my chimneystack. I give them scraps occasionally. A gull was looking in my window when I got up this morning. I think it wanted help because when I went out to fill the feeders there was a baby gull walking about in the garden. I could see another chick on the chimney stack so perhaps this one had been pushed off.
I sent someone a text at ten past six and the baby gull had been collected fifteen minutes later! It will be looked after until it has grown enough to be released.

herring gull and chick C63A0802.jpg

herring gull and chick C63A0813.jpg

Last edited:
There are two gulls nesting on my chimneystack. I give them scraps occasionally. A gull was looking in my window when I got up this morning. I think it wanted help because when I went out to fill the feeders there was a baby gull walking about in the garden. I could see another chick on the chimney stack so perhaps this one had been pushed off.
I sent someone a text at ten past six and the baby gull had been collected fifteen minutes later! It will be looked after until it has grown enough to be released.

View attachment 67347

View attachment 67348
We had a young herring gull trapped in our garden a few years ago. The cats wouldn't go near it, strangely enough.

The RSPCA collected it about half an hour after I rang them. One of their wildlife centres is a few miles away so the gull was taken there for fattening up and release.

Round here people absolutely hate them, I don’t mind them but had to evict one from our conservatory some weeks back, surprising how big they are and the noise they make close up is deafening, chucked it out, it was back a day later after a good sulk
I’ve seen them fly off with rats in their mouth so they can’t be that bad.

Family comes into the pub fuming, small child blubbering.
"Bloody seagull, attacked our young 'un, grabbing at our tray of chips!"
Sympathetic noises from pub.
"Yeah, we were sitting there, tossing chips to 'em, feeding them, like, when one swoops down and grabs for the lot!"
Sympathetic noises stop.

Round here people absolutely hate them, I don’t mind them but had to evict one from our conservatory some weeks back, surprising how big they are and the noise they make close up is deafening, chucked it out, it was back a day later after a good sulk
I’ve seen them fly off with rats in their mouth so they can’t be that bad.
Gulls are scavengers. They'll eat the fish from a fishing boats wake, they'll peck out bins, they congregate at landfill sites. They go to wherever the food is easily available.
Sure, they are technically sea birds but which is easier for them? Spotting a shoal of fish near the surface or seeing people wander about with their hands full of food?

It's unwise to get to close as they can have Avian botulism and flue,
so it's unwise to get to friendly with them but they do quite a bit of cleaning
up after us.
Mind you botulism is related to botox so maybe evicting the odd gull will
make me look better.

They're pirates. This brazen raid happened earlier this month.

"Keep your hands on your head . No funny business and no-one will get hurt. We only want your fish."

Becky Jane C63A2294.jpg

A bit much his employers expecting him to remember whether to pull or push the door when under attack by seagulls.

A workman, who was injured as he fled from attacking seagulls on the roof of a Dublin office block, has settled a €60,000 damages claim against six companies.

Judge Sarah Berkeley was told in the Circuit Civil Court on Thursday that Gavin Fox had accepted an undisclosed settlement offer and that his claim could be struck out.

Barrister Dermot Francis Sheehan, who appeared with Tyrell Solicitors for Fox, said he had been injured by a door as he tried to escape.
Fox, a 47-year-old mechanical technician of St Brigid’s Avenue, North Strand, Dublin, had stepped out of a door onto the roof of the 2GC Building in the centre of Dublin when a pair of nesting seagulls attacked.

He had run to escape them and injured his left hand as he burst back through the doorway. In defence documents, Fox was alleged to have pushed the door instead of pulling it.

He received four stitches to a deep hand wound in the VHI Swiftcare clinic in Swords on the day of the incident, missing a couple of days work and having to return after a week to have the stitches removed.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-41241331.html

A bit much his employers expecting him to remember whether to pull or push the door when under attack by seagulls.

A workman, who was injured as he fled from attacking seagulls on the roof of a Dublin office block, has settled a €60,000 damages claim against six companies.

Judge Sarah Berkeley was told in the Circuit Civil Court on Thursday that Gavin Fox had accepted an undisclosed settlement offer and that his claim could be struck out.

Barrister Dermot Francis Sheehan, who appeared with Tyrell Solicitors for Fox, said he had been injured by a door as he tried to escape.
Fox, a 47-year-old mechanical technician of St Brigid’s Avenue, North Strand, Dublin, had stepped out of a door onto the roof of the 2GC Building in the centre of Dublin when a pair of nesting seagulls attacked.

He had run to escape them and injured his left hand as he burst back through the doorway. In defence documents, Fox was alleged to have pushed the door instead of pulling it.

He received four stitches to a deep hand wound in the VHI Swiftcare clinic in Swords on the day of the incident, missing a couple of days work and having to return after a week to have the stitches removed.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-41241331.html
Daft! :rcard: At least he got it swiftly taken care of.

Back