• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Biblical Flood / Noah's Ark: The Animals Manifest

James_H

And I like to roam the land
'Unicorns' are mentioned a few times in the Bible because early translators were not sure how to translate the Hebrew word 'Re'em' - nowadays it's thought to refer to a kind of aurochs. Though it would be more fun if Noah had a couple of unicorns on his ark.

'Unicorns' are mentioned a few times in the Bible because early translators were not sure how to translate the Hebrew word 'Re'em' - nowadays it's thought to refer to a kind of aurochs. Though it would be more fun if Noah had a couple of unicorns on his ark.

He did, but one was impatient and deboarded alone ...

WhyNoUnicorns.jpg

(Noah's Ark on Mount Ararat, by Simon de Myle)​

Last edited:
He did, but one was impatient and deboarded alone ...

index.php

(Noah's Ark on Mount Ararat, by Simon de Myle)​
I've heard fundamentalist claim that sauropods were included, (even with the dimensions of the ark that would be a tight fit).

Why would mermids need an ark?
True- this tale may be rather fishy. Fins ain't what they seem to be.

In other news- I've today received through the post my facsimile copy of the original 1907 book "Stowe's Bible Astrology".

It's extremely interesting, and (just as I thought, from online extracts) it sets-out the inescapable parallels between paleo-astronomy and Christo-Judaen mythology. As I've stated earlier on FMB, an effective summary of the key points is presented in the Zeitgeist:Religion video (accessible via this link)

There's lots to consider from every paragraph within it- which I shall hopefully discuss here with you all, soon.

True- this tale may be rather fishy. Fins ain't what they seem to be.

In other news- I've today received through the post my facsimile copy of the original 1907 book "Stowe's Bible Astrology".

It's extremely interesting, and (just as I thought, from online extracts) it sets-out the inescapable parallels between paleo-astronomy and Christo-Judaen mythology. As I've stated earlier on FMB, an effective summary of the key points is presented in the Zeitgeist:Religion video (accessible via this link)

There's lots to consider from every paragraph within it- which I shall hopefully discuss here with you all, soon.
Dammit, I can see I'm going to have to buy a copy.

Were the authors of Genesis sophisticated enough to craft metaphors, or were they just bullshitting as they saw fit?
Other day there, happened to see a link to creationism web sites.

Know I shouldn't have, however copied this from one of them:

Dinosaurs on the Ark?

The story of Noah saving the animals on the ark is not exclusive to those of Judeo-Christian descent. Over 277 cultures worldwide share a common story about a man who saved humanity and animals from extinction by building a vessel to survive a catastrophic deluge. Of course, scoffers reject the notion that anyone from ancient times could build a boat large enough and sturdy enough to hold all of the animals, especially the dinosaurs. However, it is logical to assume that the same God who created the world, and warned Noah of the upcoming disaster, could also provide him with the exact specifications he needed to build a seaworthy vessel. These specifications, recorded for us in Genesis 6:14-16, have been modeled, tested, and found to be sound by a number of scientific studies. Similar studies have shown that Noah needed to bring less than 8,000 animals on board the ark, in order to fulfill his mission. Some of them were dinosaurs; not the biggest and the meanest he could find, but smaller members of the saurian family who could preserve the population.
[END].

Some might conclude that if you're so terrified of death with no afterlife, then naturally it's compulsive to believe in anything which gives hope - no matter how ridiculously absurd.

The one thing which has always struck myself about any religious belief, is that predominately it's entirely the antitheses of prerequisite selflessness.

'Save me and looking forward to my rewards...'.

Were the authors of Genesis sophisticated enough to craft metaphors, or were they just bullshitting as they saw fit?
That. That second bit.

Put meright, but wernt the only animals on the ark domesticated ones?

No, but they brought 7 on each of the domesticated ones.

Put meright, but wernt the only animals on the ark domesticated ones?

No. Noah's instructions and loading were based on all land and flying animals. The relevant distinctions among these species were based on "clean" versus "unclean" (i.e., dietary / sacrificial rules rather than domestication).

With relevance to this thread: Reptiles and amphibians are "unclean", and would have been subject to the single-pair boarding limit.

Here's the relevant passage from Genesis 7 (New International Version):

13 On that very day Noah and his sons, Shem, Ham and Japheth, together with his wife and the wives of his three sons, entered the ark. 14 They had with them every wild animal according to its kind, all livestock according to their kinds, every creature that moves along the ground according to its kind and every bird according to its kind, everything with wings.15 Pairs of all creatures that have the breath of life in them came to Noah and entered the ark.16 The animals going in were male and female of every living thing, as God had commanded Noah. Then the Lord shut him in.

Reactions: Jim
So, you are looking at some really big rite that requires LOTS of animals?

Most are clean, of which you have 7 pairs, yes?

But you are ALSO including everything else...so pairs of as many as you can possibly catch.

Thats a pretty impressive rite you are planning...

So, Noah was...

a) Performing some fancy ritual to impress bigtime

b) Not local bigwigs, but Yaweh?

c) Both of the above.

What was going on?

It wasn't a rite, it was a rescue operation.

A thought occurred to me... Noah concentrated on getting animals on board the ark.
What did he do for plants, trees, fruit and veg?
Did he have a 'B' ark?

A thought occurred to me... Noah concentrated on getting animals on board the ark.
What did he do for plants, trees, fruit and veg?
Did he have a 'B' ark?

Terrestrial plants aren't explicitly mentioned. Long ago I asked about this issue in Sunday School, but never received an answer.

Seeds and leaves so that they could be replanted after the flood.
Some of the animals would have eaten such a diet so there would have been a stock on board.

No. Noah's instructions and loading were based on all land and flying animals. The relevant distinctions among these species were based on "clean" versus "unclean" (i.e., dietary / sacrificial rules rather than domestication).

With relevance to this thread: Reptiles and amphibians are "unclean", and would have been subject to the single-pair boarding limit.

Here's the relevant passage from Genesis 7 (New International Version):
We used to give a spoof general knowledge test to new members of Staff one of the questions being “How many of each animal did MOSES (my caps) bring onto the Ark?” You wouldn’t believe how many answered 2.

Seeds and leaves so that they could be replanted after the flood.
Some of the animals would have eaten such a diet so there would have been a stock on board.

Noah was instructed to bring aboard food (unspecified) for his family and the animals, so there's certainly a basis for at least some of the terrestrial flora's survival.

"The animals came in two by two,
The Thomson's gazelle and the kangaroo.."

Least that what I used to sing to my little sister.

It appears that Noah was the last of the long-lived patriarchs. and that the life span of humans, apparently 1000 years at the time, was than reduced to 120 years, as in the case of Moses.

So, were any of Noah's patriarchal predecessors still around at the time of the flood. One must assume they wouldn't be after it.

It appears that Noah was the last of the long-lived patriarchs. and that the life span of humans, apparently 1000 years at the time, was than reduced to 120 years, as in the case of Moses.

So, were any of Noah's patriarchal predecessors still around at the time of the flood. One must assume they wouldn't be after it.
They must have interbred with the ordinary people (who never get mentioned at all in the flood story).

I've heard fundamentalist claim that sauropods were included, (even with the dimensions of the ark that would be a tight fit).
"Tell me again why you think it's necessary to have an aquarium deck? And these pleisiosaur things... they appear to be taking up a lot of space. You know, I can't help thinking of the little issues raised by setting aside space on the Ark for aquatic and deep-sea species. Things that normally live seventy thousand feet down at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, for instance, might not be especially distubed or inconveneinced by a global flood? Still, you know best, I suppose."

Back