• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Book Recommendations

DrPaulLee

Justified & Ancient
A few years back I had a pretty good library of ghost books but had to sell most of them to make ends meet.
I'm hoping that a few projects will bear fruit and I'm looking to possibly start replenishing my stock. However, I'm "out of the loop" and not familiar with more recent titles either.
Can I ask for recommendations, whether it be general ghost/poltergeist books or sub categories (ghost hunting etc)

Many thanks!
Paul

Not sure if you are looking for newer publications or "old favourites"? I don't have many modern books (In the process of geting yours and Ruth Roper Wylde's volumes but have to make space!)

Here's a list I posted elsewhere on here all of which I enjoyed to some degree although some entail a more serious look at the subject and some are just unsubstantiated stories.

Haunted England: Christina Hole: Batsford 1940

Lord Halifax's Ghost Book: Charles Lindley, Viscount Halifax: Geoffrey Bles Pt 1,1936 ; pt2 1937 one vol 1939

Unbidden Guests: William Oliver Stevens: Allen &Unwin 1949

Phantom Footsteps: Alasdair Alpin MacGregor: Robert Hale 1959

The Ghost Book: Alasdair Alpin MacGregor: Robert Hale 1955

Ghosts of Old England: Terence Whitaker: Robert Hale 1987

North Country Ghosts and Legends: Terence Whitaker: Grafton: Pt 1 Yorkshire Ghosts and Legends 1983 this ed (expanded with Lancashire 1988)

Haunted Houses of Great Britain: Joseph Braddock: Dorset Press NY: 1991

Haunted Houses: Charles G Harper: First Pub 1907 Cecil Palmer, pbk ed Senate: 1994

Phantom Britain, This Spectre'd Isle: Marc Alexander: Frederick Muller: 1975

Haunted Inns of England: Jack Hallam: Wolfe 1972

Haunted Gardens: Peter Underwood: Amberley: 2009 Not that old but an unusual subject

True Ghost Stories of the British Isles: Bounty Books: 2005 A collection of stories by and told to various Authors

To which I could add

The Guiness Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits: Rosemary Ellen Guiley: 1994; Guiness Publishing.

Haunted Britain: Richard Jones AA 1993 (A bit coffee table but interesting anyway)

Thanks! I recognise some of these (I had some at one point), but most are new to me.

Btw hold off on getting my books for a little while yet...

How about

Paranormal Edinburgh
Paranormal Newcastle
Ghosts Caught on Film 3
Obviously the Darren Ritson / Mike Hallowell books
I have a liking for Harry Price and Nandor Fodor
Steve Parsons How to Investigate the Paranormal books - Paracoustics, Ghostology, Guidance Notes for Investigators of Spontaneous Cases and Using Equipment.

You could join the Society for Psychcial Research and get their quarterly Journal and quarterly Magazine and membership gives you access to all previous issues of both publications, along with a number of classic books.

I've got a good hotel source lady you could talk to but that's a b&b place and it doesn't have a bar. She's so used to catching sight of "a tall gentleman dressed in black" that she says good morning to him now when she's helping the staff clean the rooms.
Is that the place we talked about previously?

A few years back I had a pretty good library of ghost books but had to sell most of them to make ends meet.
I'm hoping that a few projects will bear fruit and I'm looking to possibly start replenishing my stock. However, I'm "out of the loop" and not familiar with more recent titles either.
Can I ask for recommendations, whether it be general ghost/poltergeist books or sub categories (ghost hunting etc)

Many thanks!
Paul
There's all of mine, Paul:
The Ghosts of Marston Vale
The Almanac of British Ghosts
The Roadmap of British Ghosts
The Roadmap of British Ghosts Volume 2
These Haunted Times Volume 1
These Haunted Times Volume 2

And These Haunted Times 3 and 4 will both be out before Christmas.
They can all be read for free if you have a Kindle Unlimited Subscription

There's all of mine, Paul:
The Ghosts of Marston Vale
The Almanac of British Ghosts
The Roadmap of British Ghosts
The Roadmap of British Ghosts Volume 2
These Haunted Times Volume 1
These Haunted Times Volume 2

And These Haunted Times 3 and 4 will both be out before Christmas.
They can all be read for free if you have a Kindle Unlimited Subscription

How do you earn from unlimited? Is it X amount from Y pages read?

Thanks for your suggestions!

On a related note, what do you consider to be the "best" book on Borley Rectory?

Thanks for your suggestions!

On a related note, what do you consider to be the "best" book on Borley Rectory?
I cannot honestly say it is the best since it is the only book on Borley i have, but the borley rectory companion by Paul Adams, Peter Underwood and Eddie Brazil is a very good book.

Another bookazine. I found this in W H Smith today.
IMG_3041.jpeg

Haven't read it but potentially a good read:

"But what happens when professional archeologists experience events at ancient sites which escape their scientific training? Strange occurrences which not only perturb their state of mind either in solitary or collectively (when those occurrences are witnessed by more than one individual) but even threaten the very work performed during a dig campaign by way of affecting the teams’ equipment or tampering with the remains excavated from a site? Where do you put your precious positivist objectivity when the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end, after your senses perceive something which your rational mind refuses to accept?"

https://www.dailygrail.com/2023/10/...ranormal-experiences-shared-by-archeologists/

Another bookazine. I found this in W H Smith today. View attachment 71068
These compilations are so expensive and usually cobbled together from random internet articles. I discovered my local library has them on their digital borrowing app so I've looked at a number of them. Be warned - they are full of cool pics but the info is typically not good quality.

During lockdown the Edinburgh Fortean Society had an online event where folks made Fortean book recommendations, here is the list

Tony Healy and Paul Cropper
Out of the Shadows

Bernard Heuvelmans
On the Track of Unknown Animals
In the Wake of the Sea Serpents

Loren Coleman
Mysterious America

David Paulides
Missing 411 Series

Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson
The Illuminatus Trilogy

Jan Harald Brunvand