Booze News

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Except that drinking alcohol on Transport for London trains has been banned since 2008.

Not a good look for a woman who - if Labour won an election - would be the Home Secretary.

maximus otter
Oh dear! Didn't know that.
Tsk! It's now a matter of public record that she has broken the law...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Is it a law or a railway by-law? Could a train guard/conductor give you an on the spot fine?
From that link supplied by Maximus:
Both the Metropolitan Police Service and British Transport Police will support TfL staff in enforcing this ban. Any person suspected of committing a public disorder offence in refusing to comply with this ban may therefore be arrested

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
It is particularly popular among the homeless Glaswegians. I wasn't making that sh*t up.
Was at Loch Ness with wife and a friend. We all realised we had never tried Buckfast and the local garage had it so a bottle was purchased. As we finished the assistant said hello it’s Dr X isn’t it? Turns out she was a student at our friends university, where she presumably told everyone he’s a secret Buckie drinker...

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Was at Loch Ness with wife and a friend. We all realised we had never tried Buckfast and the local garage had it so a bottle was purchased. As we finished the assistant said hello it’s Dr X isn’t it? Turns out she was a student at our friends university, where she presumably told everyone he’s a secret Buckie drinker...
this is brilliant :D

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
You bought liquor at a garage? Was it moonshine?

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
You bought liquor at a garage? Was it moonshine?
A lot of garages have shops attached which sell all sorts of things. In this case they had quite a large selection of alcohol I seem to recall.

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
My in-laws stay near Buckfast Abbey in the SW of England.

They often buy Buckie for special occasions. Mr Frideswide and I often have to speak sternly to each other to avoid corpsing at dinner :)

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Reaction score
I've actually seen Buckfast in a pharmacy. What does it taste like? I imagine it tasting like the nasty sweet stuff I drank as a teen, which I would only drink now if I was already drunk.

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
It's an unexceptional red wine! But the caffeine doesn't half give you a buzzzzzzzzzz! :)

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Reaction score
Isn't it a sweet, fortified wine - like Green Ginger Wine or Vermouth?

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, sweet rather than dry but it's not like cough syrup, it's definitely a red wine. If you see what I mean?

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
The Jim Beam warehouse fire is still burning. This is the result of a decision to burn off as much of the ethanol as possible to minimize additional leakage of booze residue into the nearby Kentucky River. A massive amount of the bourbon dropped into the warehouse's foundations had already entered the river, as the photo accompanying this news article illustrates ...
Decision on extinguishing Jim Beam fire a 'day or two' away
The fire that destroyed a massive Jim Beam warehouse filled with aging bourbon in Kentucky continued to burn Thursday as officials said the decision on whether to extinguish is still a day or two away.

Woodford County Emergency Management Director Drew Chandler said in a telephone interview the only thing left burning is ethanol fumes. Officials believe letting the fumes burn will have less environmental impact than spraying the fire with water, which could wash the bourbon into a nearby creek that flows into the Kentucky River.

An unknown amount of bourbon has already entered the water and was clearly visible on the Kentucky River on Wednesday. Officials from the Environmental Protection Agency have been on the scene since Thursday to help assess and contain the damage.

No one was injured in the blaze that erupted late Tuesday in the warehouse near the Woodford-Franklin county line, where about 45,000 barrels of bourbon were stored. It sent flames that could be seen for miles shooting into the night sky and generating so much heat that firetruck lights melted. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/925b0c7bced74794b9d7942ad1339369

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Reaction score
Well....can't say I drink Jim Beam...I usually go with Basil Hayden.... or Blanton's..when I can get it.
Since it's summer and hot.....been drinking a good deal of Sam Adams Summer Ale...
1562353677959.png

Mikefule

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
The Jim Beam warehouse fire is still burning. This is the result of a decision to burn off as much of the ethanol as possible to minimize additional leakage of booze residue into the nearby Kentucky River. A massive amount of the bourbon dropped into the warehouse's foundations had already entered the river, as the photo accompanying this news article illustrates
Not quite the same, but this reminded me of this song, which we sing from time to time when we're out with the Morris dancers: