Booze News

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...eal-student-binge-drinking-strategy-more-pubs

Pre-loading has always been a massive part of Kiwi life due to the fact in the old days pubs would stay open longer.

I'd like to see beer strength reduced so no beers above 5% in student locations and limited access to spirits.

Provide food and the sit-down culture of alcohol and food that the sensible European countries have - much more fun less boring nastiness.

We should really sort the law out on drugs as alcohol is still far more dangerous.

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
It's out of this world!

Researchers in Bordeaux are analysing a dozen bottles of French wine that returned to Earth in January after a stay aboard the International Space Station.

They announced their preliminary impressions on Wednesday – mainly, that weightlessness did not ruin the wine and it seemed to energise the vines. Organisers say it is part of a longer-term effort to make plants on Earth more resilient to climate change and disease by exposing them to new stresses, and to better understand the aging process, fermentation and bubbles in wine. At a one-of-a-kind tasting this month, 12 connoisseurs sampled one of the space-travelled wines – a bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol wine that spent a year in space – blindly tasting it alongside a bottle from the same vintage that had stayed in a cellar.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40250402.html

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Scottish brewer 'brewdog' is planning to open a beer themed hotel, with beer on tap, mimi bars full of beer and fridhes in the shower for 'shower beers' in every room.

Brewdog reveals plans for beer-themed hotel in Edinburgh

Brewdog, the Scottish brewer and pub chain, has announced plans for a beer-themed hotel in Edinburgh's Old Town.

The Doghouse-branded boutique hotel will be in a former school opposite the city council headquarters on Market Street.

"Expect beer on tap in all the rooms, mini-bars filled with the best beers in the planet and fridges in the shower for shower beers," co-founder James Watt said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-56714720

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Scottish brewer 'brewdog' is planning to open a beer themed hotel, with beer on tap, mimi bars full of beer and fridhes in the shower for 'shower beers' in every room.

Brewdog, the Scottish brewer and pub chain, has announced plans for a beer-themed hotel in Edinburgh's Old Town.

The Doghouse-branded boutique hotel will be in a former school opposite the city council headquarters on Market Street.

"Expect beer on tap in all the rooms, mini-bars filled with the best beers in the planet and fridges in the shower for shower beers," co-founder James Watt said.

Will they be charging £10 a schooner or something.... can't say I'm a fan of certain Craft Beers that taste like Grapefruit.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score

Dear Brewdog,

Fuck off you cunts.

Yours sincerely,

Ogdred Weary

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Genuine questions - why don't people like Brewdog?

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I don' think they're forcing people to stay there.
It's not like it's one of those 'quarantine hotels' where you must stay for 10 days at your own expense.

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Me personally is just the taste, expense, lay out of the pubs and the hipster element but that same to be the going thing in the past 10 years and people love them but it ain't for me and I don't like change but I suppose each to there own also a pint these days is too much and I think the Craft thing didn't help.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Me personally is just the taste, expense, lay out of the pubs and the hipster element but that same to be the going thing in the past 10 years and people love them but it ain't for me and I don't like change but I suppose each to there own also a pint these days is too much and I think the Craft thing didn't help.
You convinced me at the "hipster" bit...thanks.

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Will they be charging £10 a schooner or something.... can't say I'm a fan of certain Craft Beers that taste like Grapefruit.
There's nothing wrong with Elvis Juice. Couldn't drink it all night though.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I don' think they're forcing people to stay there.
It's not like it's one of those 'quarantine hotels' where you must stay for 10 days at your own expense.
I suppose if you had to quarentine in a hotel, there are worse places than one with on tap beer in every room :p

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
I love real ale, can't stand (most) craft beer. I am not certain of the exact differences, I think the definition of "real" ale is that there's live yeast in the barrel. Craft beers are more inert, there were variations on ale with no live yeast prior to the invention and proliferation of "craft beer" but the "craft" variant differs in taste. I don't know whether it is the type of hops, or the quantity or other ingredients but I find some of these - the IPAs in particular, absolutely repugnant. Even the smell of some makes me faintly nauseated, I've been sick (and sometimes the other end) after just one pint or even a small can of some types. I suspect I might be allergic to something in them. A couple of friends have reported similar reactions.

One of the defining features of most craft beer is that there's often a floral, citrus-y or grapefruit-y taste and smell as @Sabresonic mentioned above. These ones, usually in the IPAs are the worst for me, though conversely some ales with similar characteristics are fine. I've had a couple of "sour beers" which certainly lived up to their name. On the other hand I actually really like some of the odd flavoured stouts and porters- hints of vanilla, blueberry, strawberry, peanut butter and marshmallow even.

I will also add I don't welcome the price hike with these beers, also mentioned above, nor the hipster element. Brewdog are by the far biggest company in this "game" I think they helped spearhead the name "craft beer/brewery" when they got too big to market themselves as a microbrewery. Their pubs are pretty soulless inside, though this hardly unique to them in the modern day.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
I suppose if you had to quarentine in a hotel, there are worse places than one with on tap beer in every room :p
Being stuck in a hotel with on tap craft beer on tap in every room would be an ironical hell for me.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I don't know whether it is the type of hops...
That's exactly what it is. Chuck in huge amounts of Citra hops late in the process (dry-hopping) and you'll get a massive tropical aroma and taste, for example. A Simcoe and Columbus mix will give you a dank, piney feel.

Although there are all kinds of weird and wonderful additions. I'm on a Belgian fruit beer tip at the moment.

I love beer in all its forms, including a mega-hoppy craft beer. But it's the variety I enjoy, I wouldn't stick to one brew all night.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
There's nothing wrong with Elvis Juice. Couldn't drink it all night though.
There can't be much fluid left from Elvis's corpse. It'd mostly be embalming fluid, so a tad unhealthy.

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I love real ale, can't stand (most) craft beer. I am not certain of the exact differences, I think the definition of "real" ale is that there's live yeast in the barrel. Craft beers are more inert, there were variations on ale with no live yeast prior to the invention and proliferation of "craft beer" but the "craft" variant differs in taste. I don't know whether it is the type of hops, or the quantity or other ingredients but I find some of these - the IPAs in particular, absolutely repugnant. Even the smell of some makes me faintly nauseated, I've been sick (and sometimes the other end) after just one pint or even a small can of some types. I suspect I might be allergic to something in them. A couple of friends have reported similar reactions.

One of the defining features of most craft beer is that there's often a floral, citrus-y or grapefruit-y taste and smell as @Sabresonic mentioned above. These ones, usually in the IPAs are the worst for me, though conversely some ales with similar characteristics are fine. I've had a couple of "sour beers" which certainly lived up to their name. On the other hand I actually really like some of the odd flavoured stouts and porters- hints of vanilla, blueberry, strawberry, peanut butter and marshmallow even.

I will also add I don't welcome the price hike with these beers, also mentioned above, nor the hipster element. Brewdog are by the far biggest company in this "game" I think they helped spearhead the name "craft beer/brewery" when they got too big to market themselves as a microbrewery. Their pubs are pretty soulless inside, though this hardly unique to them in the modern day.

I have had some Belgium Lambic Sour Beer and it just taste like Vinegar and don't understand the £4.49 price tag for a small bottle from my local Wine Shop ? BUT I do like these https://images.app.goo.gl/wUr9B6Lh

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
I have had some Belgium Lambic Sour Beer and it just taste like Vinegar and don't understand the £4.49 price tag for a small bottle from my local Wine Shop ? BUT I do like these https://images.app.goo.gl/wUr9B6Lh
The sours I had were OK, interesting option for a change but I only had one on each occasion, might possibly try another.

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Had rauchbier two or three times over the years. Quite pleasant, although I don't think I could drink more than one or two of an evening.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I LOVE a sour beer. But then I love anything sour.

1618406322345.png

I had to draw a line once though, when I discovered the peak hipster beer. It was supposed to taste like toasted bread, and featured healthy lashings of coriander and salt. That was too much even for me.

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
One of my local supermarkets sells Sticky Toffee Pudding beer. Probably not to everyone's taste, but I'm quite partial to the odd bottle.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Belgium has some great beers - the Trappist monk breweries are well worth trying. Quite pokey in alcohol content & expensive. Tesco do Westmalle Dubbel for £2.10 for 330ml bottle, 7% abv. Westmalle Tripel is even more expensive, 9.5% abv. Two of the best.

I think they're bottled with yeast still live which continues fermenting in the bottle so it's very lively when opened. It's not for knocking back pints but for savouring - beer doesn't get much better than this. Outside my general price range but as a treat once in a while..

I bet Carlos will know of these.

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Reaction score
Many great craft beers these days...the local and micro brews are always making new stuff....a few I like lately:
1618419155093.png